What are you learning right now?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What are you learning right now?
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #75
Ah, school, I remember it well. College is now a distant memory too. As Mark Twain put it, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Nowadays, I'm currently teaching myself the ins & outs of the stock market, and how to do value-style investing.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #76
Right now teachers think they should prepare us for the semester finals. Cellular respiration, novel evaluation, adverse functions, conjugation of French verbs, and all that other fun stuff.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #77
Right now I am taking:

1. Precalculus- Finished Sine/Cosine functions, reviewing for exam

2. Chemistry- In the middle of chemical bonding

3. Humanities III (Mix of English and History) Just finished Grapes of Wrath

4. Humanities III (Mix of English and History) wrapping up the Great Depression

5. Spanish I- Classroom objects! Yay!

6. Biology II- Studying the complexities of Photosynthesis

7. Advanced Music- Not nearly as challenged as I could be, but advanced music is the only music class that isn't guitar (that means the good get thrown in with the bad). We are currently doing individual projects.

I'll give anyone some guacamole and ornk meat if they can guess what year of high school I'm supposedly in.

[ Friday, January 11, 2008 17:35: Message edited by: The Ratt ]

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #78
Junior year I presume, but I don't like ornks and guacamole.

Me:
Finals are next week. However, I never have need to study as I ace tests regardless.

1. A.P. English II
2. P.E. (Required)
3. French I
4. Geometry
5. Biology I
6. Algebra II (Advanced Algebra)
7. Mens Choir

When I moved to Winnemucca (between 7th and 8th grade) they refused to place me in the appropriate math class. That is why I have two math classes. I'm actually very skilled with math, and often finish my classwork half way through the period while everyone else has to take it as homework. I should be in Precalculus this year, which really drools that I'm not.

[ Friday, January 11, 2008 17:45: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
I dub thee...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #79
I'm learning how overtime and working weekends is part of the fun.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #80
I'm starting on jackets now. Woohoo.

--------------------
Pannaan kaikki hippulat vinkumaan! ^_^

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I should be in Precalculus this year, which really drools that I'm not.
As I have no experience of the American high school system, perhaps someone can enlighten me: what exactly is "precalculus"? I've never come across this term before.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #82
It is math that prepares you for calculus. Generally taken your senior year.

Freshmen- Algebra 1
Sophemores- Geometry
Juniors-Algebra 2
Seniors-Precalculus

Excalibur: Nope

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #83
I'm not really learning anything new at the moment, just putting my old skills back to use. I'll have to install few radiators and make a price comparison between copper and composite parts before my third apprenticing period begins at the beginning of March.

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #84
New semester means new classes for me, here they are:

ENGL 102 Next step in college english, comes after the 101 class.

JAMM 100 Droped it last semester so I need to take it again.

PHYS 100 Never took any of this in highschool so this class is like candy to me. I love it.

PHYS 100L The lab.

SPAN 301 The easiest class ever. I might be going to study abroad in 09 because of this class.

CORE 163 Requierd class for all students. Mine is about Globalization in general.

MATH 143 College algebra, must take this class to move on to over math classes that I need.

On top of all that I am working 22 hour a week as a cook at Apple-bes.

--------------------
This is what happens when you drink Life Water: [SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1]
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
Freshmen- Algebra 1
Sophemores- Geometry
Juniors-Algebra 2
Seniors-Precalculus
That's the typical course, but the path can also look like these(Or at least in Winnemucca):

Geometry>Algebra II>Precalculus>Calculus I
Geometry + Algebra II>Precalculus>Calculus I>CalculusII
Algebra I>Geometry + Algebra II>Precalculus>CalculusI
Pre Algebra>Alegebra I>Geometry>Algebra II
And so on...I should have been on the second path on the list.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #86
So what are you saying, you spend a whole year studying geometry? That sounds kind of boring.

Edit: at high school level, I mean. Obviously there are people who study geometry all year at professional level.

[ Saturday, January 12, 2008 13:49: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #87
I've heard that, generally speaking, people who dislike algebra like geometry and vice versa. Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess.

At the moment, just Basic Permaculture. After that, it's Natural History and Ecology of the SW (yay for one class counting as two) and some acting comedy class, unless Dikiyoba decides to change it.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #88
Back in my day...

Geometry in 9th,Precalc was 10th, Trig 11th, and Calc in 12th.

All that Algebra stuff was before high school.

Excalibur, you must be really, really smart to not have to study. Good luck with that tactic.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #89
quote:
Excalibur, you must be really, really smart to not have to study. Good luck with that tactic.

It will probably bite me in college, a superior memory can only go so far.

Today is the first day of the semester, rather boring actually. I had to listen to a droll lecture about mitosis and cytokenisis, gah, I thought we learned this stuff in seventh grade. Not to mention math, I mean, they're imaginary numbers.

Oh, we had a newbe in choir.

I sure am complaining a lot. I suppose I dislike new semesters.

Speaking of school, I really should be in bed now. :rolleyes:

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #90
Holy carp, who necroed this?

HIST 3750: Social Movements- Where the school's senior history professor meanders around the front of an auditorium and rambles about how modern society got to where it is. I'm told there are exams, but he has yet to get us a syllabus.

THTR 2430: Principles of Acting- Where we learn the basic principles of developing characters, improvising scenes, and getting along in the world of drama.

EMTC 4310: Film-Style Production- Where the best and bravest of the com department are forced through the equivalent of a freshman year at film school within the span of a semester.
This looks like it's going to be my favorite.

EMTC 4810: Senior Seminar- Where they teach us that the real world is not what Career Services says it is. And it's not college, either. And they're also supposed to show us how all of those classes without any point (remember Christian Approaches to E-Media?) look good on a resume.

EMTC 3733: Sports Production Practicum- Where we make the basketball teams look good at home games. They're letting me run a camera this time. :)

EMTC 3720: Audio Production Practicum- Where we are told to spend 45+ hours over the span of the semester in putting our audio production skills to good use, and then let go to do it. A friend and I are doing an audio drama adaptation of The Adventure of the Speckled Band.

I need another credit yet, as beaureaucratic processes are inhibiting me from getting singing and piano lessons. If this cannot be cleared by the end of the month, I'll probably tack on Tennis for the second half of the semester.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is taking all honors courses, Italian, band, choir, an acting elective, is the lead in the school musical, has written the piece for the brass trio, doing all-state orchestra, olympic conference band, all-state choir, is volunteering at our local library once a week, and complains to me constantly about his lack of free time.
Something about that whole "voluntary" thing bothers me a bit...

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #91
Lenar: It all sounds fun. Film, Audio......tennis :)

I took Tennis for my physical credits and Women in Health for my Wellness credits (that class was crrrrrazy).

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Holy carp, who necroed this?
Same person who began the thread.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");

Pages