What are you learning right now?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What are you learning right now?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #0
I'm starting my third year at the U today, and I'm curious what other forumers are doing. This doesn't have to be undergrad-centric; I'd love to hear about theses or high school options (hey, just because my miniscule K-12 school's idea of course selection was choosing between physics and music doesn't mean they're all like that).

Straight from the Calender...
quote:
CMPUT 301 Introduction to Software Engineering
Object-oriented design and analysis, with interactive applications as the primary example. Topics include: software process; revision control; Unified Modeling Language (UML); requirements; software architecture, design patterns, frameworks, design guidelines; unit testing; refactoring; software tools.
This has a reputation of being a tough projects-based course, but seeing that my work for the last four months has been like this, I don't think it should be too tough.
quote:
CMPUT 304 Algorithms II
The second course of a two-course sequence on algorithm design. Emphasis on principles of algorithm design. Categories of algorithms such as divide-and-conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming; analysis of algorithms; limits of algorithm design; NP-completeness; heuristic algorithms.
Algorithms I was good.
quote:
CMPUT 366 Intelligent Systems
Introduction to artificial intelligence focusing on techniques for building intelligent software systems and agents. Topics include search and problem-solving techniques, knowledge representation and reasoning, reasoning and acting under uncertainty, machine learning and neural networks. Recent applications such as planning and scheduling, diagnosis, decision support systems, and data mining.
Between this course and CMPUT 301, I expect to rewrite the Matrix in an OO language by Christmas.
quote:
PHIL 365 Philosophy of Computing
Emphasis on artificial intelligence, artificial life, and virtual reality. No previous familiarity with computing is necessary.
(Sobs.) I know, I know, my soft option. I have a lot of doubts about this one; a lot of other PHIL courses caught my eye, but you have no idea how much schedule juggling I had to do just to get my required courses in. I had a list of options as long as my arm, but this was the only one that would fit nicely for this semester. As much as I'd like to learn Greek or do philosophy of religion, one late class a week is already too much for me.
quote:
PSYCO 258 Cognitive Psychology
A survey of findings of theoretical issues in the study of cognition, such as perception, attention, knowledge representation, memory, learning, language, reasoning, and problem solving.
Mmmm.

--------------------
Fashion is what one wears oneself. What is unfashionable is what other people wear.
- Lord Goring
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #1
My classes seem like a joke after reading yours. I guess freshmen have it easy, or at lest I do.

My classes are:

Engl 101 -just good ol' english
Geol 101 -lecture style
Jamm 100 -this is a media class for my major in TV/Radio
Comm 101 -Speech, my favorit.
Core 113 -this about globalization
Geol 101L -my lab

--------------------
Rahhar...
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #2
I'm in 8th grade.
That means I am still in middle school.
And...
Language Arts- Random stuff with paragraphs.
Math- I am in the advanced class (I'm such a math nerd). So I get Algebra 1.
Science- Chemicals, Chemical Reactions, etc.
Social Studies- Government

I also have PE and Art (Art sucks). But who cares.

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

CMPUT 301 Introduction to Software Engineering
CMPUT 304 Algorithms II
CMPUT 366 Intelligent Systems
PHIL 365 Philosophy of Computing
PSYCO 258 Cognitive Psychology

Looks like after the failure of Teh Deth Ray, our resident evil overlord decided to work on a mind control device instead. :)

PS I had similar curriculum in college, but with less psychology and philosophy and more hardware and systems classes.

[ Wednesday, September 05, 2007 13:11: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
I'm a 3L in law school. My classes are:

Professional Responsibility and Ethics
Commercial Paper
Trusts and Estates
Criminal Tax Litigation
...and I'm presently sitting in Wealth Transfer Taxation. w00t!
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #5
Right now I'm taking:
CHM 333- Advanced Organic Chemistry for Majors I (It's gonna be a crazy hard class)
CHM 337- Lab for the chem class. (I've made a mess of things for the past two weeks.)
MAT 270- Calculus I (I'm taking it again. Didn't learn anything from the dron-o-tron last semester)
BIO 187- First semester Biology (This class is a joke. our labs re ridiculous. It's like being in junior high again)
REL 366- Islam in the World (Good class. I like it.)

Heh. Drew's class list (the responsibility and ethics part) reminded me of something I saw in the bookstore. Almost all of the law books were new, except for the books on professional ethics. They had all been sold back to the bookstore. Guess ethics isn't needed in the real world.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
How is Calculus I MATH 270? These numbering systems make no sense.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Almost all of the law books were new, except for the books on professional ethics. They had all been sold back to the bookstore. Guess ethics isn't needed in the real world.
It has more to do with when new editions come out than anything else. The law on professional responsibility doesn't change all that often because it is largely based on model codes propagated by the ABA. By contrast, most other topics cover areas of law governed by the common law, which changes all the time, or statutory or administrative law, which still changes pretty frequently. It's ridiculously annoying, because new editions for almost every topic come out about every other year, making the resale value on that $120 Constitutional Law 15th Edition pretty much worthless. If we had any sense at all, we'd all get into textbook publishing.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
I just started 8th grade last year. As of now I'm being pretty lazy in concern to my school work. Sure I get it done, but I don't really feel like working ahead. Scorn me for my laziness, and I'll call you a workaholic. Anyways, junior high and all is very boring educationally:

Acc. English
Phys. Sciences
World Studies (With Mrs. Christy Corpus)
Gym/Health
Lunch (Fav. Class)
Construction Tech/Computer Apps. 2 (I hope to be an architect)
Earth Sciences
Math

Yup. Pretty standard cookie cutter stuff. I can't wait until I can do some stuff that will be directly useful in my future career.

--------------------
I don't need no stinking signature.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
Call me a hypocrite, but it's in your best interest financially to do well in primary and secondary schooling. Although your grades in middle school aren't necessarily determinitive, your GPA in high school will have a great impact on your ability to get into a good university and, more importantly, get financial aid that you won't have to repay. Seriously, high school (in the US, at least), is far too easy to slough through. Take it seriously!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
Heh.

You called lunch a "class." What, no one taught you how to eat yet?

--------------------
Synergy - "I don't get it."

Dikiyoba - "Dang. I'm one firecracker short from getting a gourd potion today."
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #11
This is off topic but GoldenKing, did you perposely put in the quotation marks? If they were removed...

Also, who here is a nerd?

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #12
Drew: I never said I wasn't serious about my schooling. I just said that I wasn't working ahead, and that I was eager to get to a class that directly helps me in my future career/s.

Salmon: It takes a long time to learn to eat when you're body is made of gold. You non-Golems wouldn't understand.

Muffin: It was a mistake caused by copy-paste. I really do hate it when that happens. Also, I am no nerd. I actually have several preppy friends and have an active social life. Seriously, you flaunt it about like being a nerd is a badge of honor.

--------------------
I[/url] don't[/url] need[/url] no[/url] stinking[/url] signature.[/url]
Apprentice
Member # 6763
Profile #13
Finishing a fellowship focusing on lymphoma research and treatment -- time to find a job soon!

--------------------
--This space for rent--
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
I actually have several preppy friends
This just comes off sounding completely ridiculous as a "not a nerd!" defense.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
100-570 Global Media: Theory and Research (a double subject full of theories about globalisation and media studies that I don't want to learn but probably should)

136-544 Beyond the Spin: Technoscientific Failure (if you don't think I'd be interested in a subject that's all about the social, political and scientific causes for major technological disasters, you don't know me at all)

136-528 Medicine, Biology and Culture (remember MMMMM? This is like 6 months of MMMMM.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #16
It's a bad idea to do full whiteface in 95+ degree weather, and pulling gnats out of one's makeup is very unpleasant...

Oh, you mean classes?

COM 2410: Fundamentals of Oral Interpretation:
Essentially, we learn how to read out loud.

EMTC 4110: Mass Media Law and Regulation:
I think the title is self-explainatory. All that we've covered so far is that the FCC has a constitutional right to exist, and that while the First Amendment technically does not cover broadcast media, it is the basis for all laws regulating broadcast media. Today, specifically, we learned about 12 different approaches to interpreting the First Amendment.

EMTC 2130: Writing for Electronic Media:
My sojourn in WV will likely have taught me more than this class will, but it is one of the core courses for my major.
The first half of the semester is writing for broadcast journalism. The second half is writing copy for dramatization and advertisement. Guess which half I'm looking forward to.

EMTC 3150: E-Media Ethics:
Where we talk about how our personal values affect what we do.

CDMU 2600: Intro to Conducting:
Choral style conducting, to be exact, though the curriculum is essentially the same as the instrumental course. I picked this one because I need it for my music minor, and I like the prof.

EMTC 3731: Video Production Practicum:
I work camera in chapel.
I can't believe the school pays someone to sit up in a booth and tell students how much they suck. Well, not entirely. The director actually gets constuctive criticism.

Alas, I completed my theology minor last semester.
Also on the to-do list is a lot of paperwork from WV, and of course, my position on the campus radio station production team. And clowning. Clowning is fun.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin once considered using the evil clown motif, but he felt that people wouldn't take him seriously.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #17
Lenar, from what your classes sound like I would say that you are a broadcast jounalism major. Am I right? I know that I am going into that same field, my major is called TV/radio/digital fim. I'm at the sarting end of it so if you have an tips or advice that on it that would be great.

--------------------
Rahhar...
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #18
Broadcast journalism. Wow. I actually laughed.
It's a shame that my brother already went to bed... he'd get a kick out of that...

It's not personal. I'm just not fond of a good deal of professional "broadcast journalists".
Believe it or not, Rowen, you and I are pretty much doing the same thing. I'm majoring in what my school calls "Electronic Media", which, given my concentrations, means that I'm doing audio and video production, with a tidbit of broadcasting (including a little journalism, sales, trafficking, and basic operations) thrown in. My dream is to start, own, and operate a production studio, with an eventual hope of producing at least one mainstream film. Or maybe inspire a TV series.

Advice for someone at the start, from a college senior / experienced broadcaster?
GET AS MUCH EXPERIENCE AS YOU CAN. NOW. RIGHT NOW. GET OUT OF YOUR CHAIR AND GET IT.
Getting on your profs' good side by showing an early interest in learning (and taking some of the less glamourous jobs) is a brilliant move that I neglected to make. The more you learn, the better you get, and then the more they like you; so they give you more stuff to do, and you learn more, and so on. It's a great little cycle that helps you become the best... and gets you a few connections, to boot.
Helping upperclassmen with projects works; and trying to get a job at a school radio station or news center gives you great connections early on.
The right people are everything.
It won't hurt to know a few theatre majors.
Oh. And check with your advisor very early on to make sure that you start your tech classes as soon as possible. :D

It's good to know that there are more aspirants out there... media can impact society in ways that society can barely comprehend. Those who learn to use it correctly can change the world.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin once spun the world off of its axis. It promptly rolled out the door and into the coffee table in our living room, causing our Chinese Take-Out to be scattered across the stars.
The moral: I need to start locking the door to the den again.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Billy Bob Joe with an Afroking:

Muffin: It was a mistake caused by copy-paste. I really do hate it when that happens. Also, I am no nerd. I actually have several preppy friends and have an active social life. Seriously, you flaunt it about like being a nerd is a badge of honor.
I would have a social life, but I have this one reeeeally good friend whom I sit with at lunch every day. No one besides his friends and a couple of misfits ever sit with us. (I'm not sure which of us is to blame.) Starting tomorrow, I'm sitting with some other folks. I'm kinda trapped otherwise.

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Loathingking:

Acc. English
Phys. Sciences
World Studies (With Mrs. Christy Corpus)
Gym/Health
Lunch (Fav. Class)
Construction Tech/Computer Apps. 2 (I hope to be an architect)
Earth Sciences
Math

Earth Sciences is an actual subject that you do? They do things very differently over where you live to what I'm used to.
I'm currently in 10th Grade (yearly exams coming up... argh... then school certificate... argh). My subjects are:
Maths (I'm another maths nerd, have never got below 97 in any test this year so far)
English
Science
Geography (hate)
History (hate)
PD/H/PE (hate)
Music (love)
IST - Information and Software Technology (love)

Oh and also I know I haven't posted here in ages, I've been lurking.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
Multivariate statistics, starting next week.

--------------------
The Noble and Most Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #22
I si learning Italian (second year of classes starts in October) and Croatian (teach slef through book and internet: just a bit each day so it goes in and stays in). Also belly dancing, classes start in mid Sept.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #23
I'm currently in Fourth Year High School..current classes are..
English
Calculus
Advance Algebra
Filipino( :rolleyes: )
MAPEH(Music, Arts, P.E., and Health squeezed into one)
C.E.
Physics
Economics
Computer Programming(something like that..)
And a random subject teachers like to put to delay out going home early..

--------------------
This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

Edit: Aran, multivariate stats rock, especially factor analysis.
That's a relieving prospect, as I really have hardly an idea what I'm getting into...

--------------------
The Noble and Most Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'

Pages