Video Game Addiction

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Video Game Addiction
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

It is a shame that video games cannot be more constructive in the traditional sense. Even painting can be tolerated as an activity that consumes an artist's life for months at a time just because something supposedly enriching arises from it.
No, not just because of the end product. The process of painting is enriching, too; I'll even leave out the "supposedly."

Playing video games certainly can be enriching in the same legitimate, life-improving ways. It just doesn't tend to be. It doesn't tend to foster self-reflection and worldly observation the way that many other solitary activities do.

Still, I think there is a big difference between someone who simply does something less enriching with some of their time, and that guy who died because he was so addicted to EverQuest. Presumably though there are a lot of people in between those two extremes.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #26
Excellent post, Slarty (what is with Yama?).

I have to admit, I put in the supposedly part to elicit an eloquent defense of painting. I enjoy painting, but I have never experienced psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's sense of flow with painting.

I think some video games can be beneficial and enriching to certain people. It is all about how a person uses his experience with video games. Some people use DDR to lose weight. I know several people who use video games to relax and concentrate before important sports games or tests. Some people love puzzle games, and their minds are all the sharper because of it. And if I never played Spiderweb games, I would never have found this forum. :)

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #27
Paintings.
It's a way to communicate to say look at this.
A way of freedom so that people canalize their emotions.

People being addicted to a game is an alarm or that person misses something important at each time that he cannot resolve by himself.
Psychology is a great tool.

[ Thursday, June 28, 2007 09:08: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #28
Yama is from the Deathmatch Tournament; I am switching my PDN to a new netherworldly judge with each new round. I have not changed my PDN since then as yet another reminder that I need to finish the darn thing.

--------------------
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #29
And he finally relizes *claps*.
quote:
Just keep your grades decent
Perfectly easy for nerds like me :P .

Anyway, I don't consider myself addicted...that saying, I don't try to marry my games.

Someone who does that is someone you can give a neon sign saying "I'M ADDICTED TO VIDEO GAMES" for some random holiday.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

I heard a man sing "The Muffin Man" one day. He got to see the light.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #30
Video games addiction= my brother.

He's unbelieveable. And unconstructive. At least I spend my time in front of the screen creatively.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Besides, binge gaming and binge drinking: which is really worse? And yet the APA doesn't seem to be going out of its way to address high school and university binge drinkers.
That's because they think they can do something about the video games. I've had alcohol as long as I can remember (even wine coolers at 2) and went through that crazy binge drinking phase in a year or two when I was 16. Bloody American cops nabbed me for such, and I had no trouble going entirely dry for 3 months of probation. Of course now I'm back in Belgium, where law enforcement isn't composed of vengeful *******s.

I argue that video games themselves have no debilitating effect on one's life. They are entertainment. For some disaster to happen, like that kid jumping out of a building or those high school massacres, someone has existing psychological problems.

This is the kind of thing I'd like to sit in on an actual hearing.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #32
I thought I dredge up this link to WoW for examples of somewhat addictive gaming behavior.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

I argue that video games themselves have no debilitating effect on one's life. They are entertainment. For some disaster to happen, like that kid jumping out of a building or those high school massacres, someone has existing psychological problems.
Harmful effects aren't just school shootings or suicides. I watched a lot of people at my undergrad school game themselves to failing grades and expulsion from school. Sure, you can say that it's their choice, but gambling is the same way, and it's recognized as an addiction.

EDIT: Also, if you were binge drinking at 16, you should be grateful to those police. Try searching the internet for articles on what alcohol can do to the developing adolescent mind, if you want a scare.

[ Friday, June 29, 2007 04:48: Message edited by: Drew ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #34
Developing adolescent mind? I've had to witness what it can do to a well-developed adult mind, and it ain't pretty. And most people who say something to the effect of "it hasn't done anything to me" just aren't critical enough to notice their problems. And this applies for almost anything, not just alcoholism.

Back to the topic, I do believa video-gaming can form into an addiction, the same way aforementioned gambling can. Actually, if you gamble on your computer, it's the same thing. And I'm willing to bet that many videogame addicts are adrenaline junkies, who probably could remedy their situation by playing airsoft or doing sports. Or they could always join the army :P

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #35
I just want to add that why do people make "educational" games? They are hated by some people...and are completely stupid.

I wonder if a kid could get addicted to that. If they did, then that is just plain sad.

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #36
Back in the day, it was all about Number Munchers and The Oregon Trail. Go MECC - w00t!

IMAGE(http://www.craphound.com/images/diedofdysentery.jpg)
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
You're certainly right about binge drinking. I don't think I've previously heard anyone complain about law enforcement cracking down on alcohol laws in the US, as they are usually enforced pretty laxly. Sure, the standards are different from Europe's, but alcohol still receives grossly favored status compared to other substances with effects that are less dangerous and extreme.

But it's not like adding a diagnosis would actually DO anything about "binge gaming" (ugh) either. It would just diagnose it. I'm pretty sure there's some way to diagnose the problems binge drinking encompasses with the DSM, at least if those problems are repeated over a long period of time.

The fair thing to do would really be to add a generic diagnosis for an addictive pattern with anything that isn't metabolically active.

(Side note: when I went to wikipedia to look up information, I found the following two sentences, which are the entirity of the article's section on "Russia": "Binge drinking in Russia ("Zapoy" in Russian), often has form of two or more days of continuous drunkenness. Almost half of working-age men in Russia who die are killed by alcohol abuse." Wow.)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Adventuring Muffin:

I just want to add that why do people make "educational" games? They are hated by some people...and are completely stupid.

I wonder if a kid could get addicted to that. If they did, then that is just plain sad.

I have to agree with Drew. Oregon Trail was awesome, and if I wasn't addicted to it when I was younger, I certainly spent many happy hours playing it as a child.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #39
What I am talking about are those new ones.
You know, the whole "Your children will love these, and learn without blah blah baalah".

You know, the kind that seems insulting to video games.

You know, the kind that makes you barf.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Adventuring Muffin:

What I am talking about are those new ones.
You know, the whole "Your children will love these, and learn without blah blah baalah".

You know, the kind that seems insulting to video games.

You know, the kind that makes you barf.

No, I don't know. Perhaps you should provide an example, because that's pretty broad and vague.

You children will learn without...
You barf...

Well, no game I've ever seen has made me barf.

--------------------
The ending has not yet been written.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #41
Good link, Randomizer. I posted on that thread before I saw this one.

I like Synergy's definition, except I think that "mood-altering" is redundant as any activity alters your mood. So I would think that an addiction is "a pathological relationship to any exeprience that has life-damaging consequences." When you see some of the comments on that thread it's easy to see the pathology and the life-damaging effect. There was no question in my mind that I was addicted. If you don't like the label "addict," (in which case I would ask what's makes the obsessive behavior of some people with games different from the behaviour of someone with an "accepted" addiction) then you are still left with games occupying a very bad place in many peoples lives. That's undeniable.

And anyone who thinks the drug companies can't come up with a creative way to market some drug for addictive behavior underestimates their greed. They have drugs to help you if you feel you're too introverted. I can't remember the name of it, but I remember seeing the ridiculous commercials.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #42
The problem lies with the doctors who prescribe as well as the companies who manufacture. But I have a question. Assuming an extroversion-inducing drug works, and assuming it's not being forced on someone without their consent, what's wrong with it?

—Alorael, who certainly thinks there are times when a little extroversion is a good thing. Is chemical alteration/augmentation inherently undesirable?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #43
Geneforge VI: Rave

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #44
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
Assuming an extroversion-inducing drug works, and assuming it's not being forced on someone without their consent, what's wrong with it?
That depends. Are we assuming that there are already a bunch of unhappy introverts willing to become more extroverted, or are we assuming that would take an aggressive marketing campaign to make introverts unhappy and willing to become more extroverted? The former situation makes the drug a good thing. The latter, not so much.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Mystking:

Well, no game I've ever seen has made me barf.
Neither have I, but I've come close.

A friend of mine has a much younger sister in preschool, and she has some kind of so-called "educational" number game featuring Teletubbies. After watching for about 2 minutes, I nearly lost my lunch.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #46
Apart side effects which can be worse than the problem, I don't think chemicals are the solution for shyness. I'm a bit of an introvert myself. When I'm at a social event I force myself to get up, get out, and speak to people. It takes effort but gets easier with practice. It's very rewarding though.

Granted, some may be shyer than others, but drugs don't really make a problem go away. They just give instant gratification. That is never as good as results that come from patience and effort. Natural trumps artificial. If I just had to take something, I'd just go with tried and true alcohol to lower inhibitions. That's still a cop-out, but at least alcohol does not harm you in moderation. That's my opinion. I'm very much anti-drug/pro-nature. To each his own though.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

Apart side effects which can be worse than the problem, I don't think chemicals are the solution for shyness. I'm a bit of an introvert myself. When I'm at a social event I force myself to get up, get out, and speak to people. It takes effort but gets easier with practice. It's very rewarding though.
Is it overcoming your shyness that's rewarding or is the best part of the experience what you get once you've overcome it? There's something in the former, but the point is the latter and if you can get that from drugs, maybe it's a good thing. And once you've done it a few times with chemical aid, maybe it won't be so scary to do it on your own.

quote:
Granted, some may be shyer than others, but drugs don't really make a problem go away.
Yes, they do. Not all of them, granted, but the point of, say, most cancer drugs is remission, not putting it on hold. But this is mostly making fun of what you said, not what you meant, and I'll definitely concede that the vast majority of psychiatric medications are long-term.

[Edit: Less revelation, more respect.]

quote:
They just give instant gratification. That is never as good as results that come from patience and effort. Natural trumps artificial.
Relief from social anxiety isn't instant gratification, and you've just begged the question. If the drug gives the same result as patience and effort, why does natural trump artificial? Don't get me wrong, I have the same gut reaction, but I'm not so sure it's justifiably correct.

quote:
If I just had to take something, I'd just go with tried and true alcohol to lower inhibitions. That's still a cop-out, but at least alcohol does not harm you in moderation.
If you're lowering your inhibitions, you're doing other things to your mind as well. Reduced shyness without alcohol's other effects could be rather worthwhile. And to take a real example rather than these hypothetical social drugs, is there anything wrong with the use of beta blockers to improve performance?

quote:
That's my opinion. I'm very much anti-drug/pro-nature. To each his own though.
—Alorael, who thinks everyone is entitled to an opinion on everything. It's always helpful to examine those opinions, though, because everyone believes many things for little or no reason. Medicine is one of the biggest piles of collective superstition left.

[ Monday, July 02, 2007 13:36: Message edited by: Pestle of Mortars ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Pestle of Mortars:

Is it overcoming your shyness that's rewarding or is the best part of the experience what you get once you've overcome it?
Both are good. The millionaire who worked hard for every dollar is a very different person from the one that has it handed to him. They're both millionaires, but chances are the former is better with money and is going to do a better job at holding on to it. In the same way the person who works at their problems and overcomes through effort is a different person from the one that is handed a quick-fix via drugs.

As far as chemicals aiding you to work it out on your own, that's a bit different. I wouldn't do it, but that's a little better. It just seems like a slippery slope sliding towards medicating all your problems away and not gaining life-coping skills.

quote:
Relief from social anxiety isn't instant gratification, and you've just begged the question. If the drug gives the same result as patience and effort, why does natural trump artificial?
I am nervous in a crowd. I pop a pill. I do fine in a crowd now. That is instant. It no more solve the problem than a bucket fixes a leaky roof though.

Maybe you don't hear all of the scandles involving the drug industry and the FDA. I just heard another a few hrs ago over some drug that increased the risk of heart failure that the drug company and the FDA was aware of but did not notify the public. Or maybe you ignore the long list of side effects the rattle off in the commercials.

quote:
If you're lowering your inhibitions, you're doing other things to your mind as well. Reduced shyness without alcohol's other effects could be rather worthwhile. And to take a real example rather than these hypothetical social drugs
If you're taking a drug that makes you less shy, I guarantee that is not all it's doing. It changes brain chemistry. And the point of me bringing this up was that this is not hypothetical. It is absolutely a real drug.

Take Paxil for example. The scary thing is not just the long list of side effects worse that the problem it's supposed to be solving but this:

"Don't stop taking Paxil CR and Paxil before talking to your doctor since side effects may result from stopping the medicine, particularly when abrupt. Symptoms some patients have reported on stopping Paxil CR and Paxil include: dizziness, sensory disturbances (including electric shock sensations and tinnitus), abnormal dreams, agitation, anxiety, nausea, sweating, mood fluctuations, headache, fatigue, nervousness and sleep disturbances."

So, if you take paxil for "social anxiety" you have to keep taking it or ease off to minimize withdrawel symptoms - one of which is anxiety. Welcome to the world of drug addiction. Enjoy your stay.

quote:
is there anything wrong with the use of beta blockers to improve performance?
I'm not saying it's wrong or right. I would not do it.

I speak regularly before audiences and I'm nervous every time. I use the nervous energy and do other things to deal with it and minimize it - like good preparation and focusing on the audience instead of myself. Those things make me a better speaker. I have a sense of accomplishment when I do well.

Drugs have side effects. I checked your link and beta blockers have a ton. There's no way I sacrifice my mental or physical health for some immediate calm when practice, preparation, and something as simple as taking deep breath can make me a good speaker.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Pestle of Mortars:

Is it overcoming your shyness that's rewarding...
IMAGE(http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound/image/screens/38/freed.png)

--------------------

Pages