Video Game Addiction

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Video Game Addiction
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #75
If you're going out and finding prescriptions for yourself, you're probably not doing yourself any favors. If your doctor recommends a prescription, though, I'd say you should at least strongly consider taking it. Drug companies want money, but doctors don't profit from finding the ones that can help you. The system and the doctors aren't perfect, but completely rejecting medical expertise is baseless paranoia.

Also, if you think all drugs are addictive and/or highly toxic, you have not been paying attention to many drugs. Drugs have to be tested for safety. The flawed ones that slip through clinical trials get a lot of publicity, but most really are as safe or as dangerous as the label says, and the doctor had better know what's on there.

—Alorael, who certainly wouldn't put himself on long-term drugs without any thought. Most long-term drugs are given for very serious conditions, though, and the small risk of toxicity is going to be more than balanced by the increase in quality of life and health.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #76
The term addiction is often incredibly misused in the case of video games. Though some people do avoid social interaction and daily responsibilities most that are labeled as addicted because they spend every second of free time playing games. Also, keeping to oneself is only a problem if it causes abnormal social interactions or feelings of isolation. There's nothing inherently wrong with spending most of one's time by then self.

Adults that don't take care of daily responsibilities like work and family for computer games would have likely just found another outlet for that focus if not the games, such as gambling, TV, junk food, weight, and so on. Almost anything can be called an addiction.

I honestly see no difference between watching TV and playing WoW or Runescape. In the case of SW games one could justify it as productive due to the amount of reading involved.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #77
I do strongly consider what doctors say. But I do not consider them to be the final authority. I almost never take what doctors prescribe, save the time I mentioned above when I was in agonizing pain. I find natural solutions which I view as far superior. For example, some years ago I was continually have chest pains that felt like what I thought a heart attack might feel like. So, I go to a doctor. He runs tests and to my relief tells me my heart is fine. The problem - heartburn. He gives me some sample drugs that the drug company has given him and a prescription for the drugs, Prevacid I think. I did research on what causes heartburn, changed my diet and other habits, and threw that garbage the doctor gave me where it belonged. No more heartburn and no damaged liver or whatever side effects that junk threatened. He also recommended that I get more exercise because of low good cholesterol because I might really have heart problems if I don't.

So, the doctor diagnosed me. That's good. He warned me about a future problem and gave me a solution to it. Excellent! Where he failed is in giving me the drug when that only masked the problem which was something I was eating that my body didn't like. 2 out of 3 is a "D." And that's just about how I rate modern medicine and I give it consideration accordingly. Doctors have their place, but they are human.

And they absolutely profit from drug companies. I think you should do some research on the relationship. It's not paranoia or conspiracy theory. It's in the popular media. They reward doctors that push their drugs. I can't remember all of the details, but if you can't figure it out I'll look it up. I know there have been stories on NPR about it.

If I had listened to the doctor I would probably have to take prevacid for life. The pains I was having were terrible - paralyzing even. Heartburn can also damage the sphincter above your stomach. (Who knew heartburn could be so serious?) I wouldn't have heartburn (maybe) but I would be reliant on a drug for digestion, one that could do damage in another area and wouldn't cure me. As it stands I am drug-free and heartburn free. You tell me what you think is better. And maybe you can also tell me why my doctor didn't let me know what I found out on my own. Does he not know how the digestive system works? If he doesn't, why should I trust him to give me answers? If he does and didn't tell me, why should I trust him to give me answers?

Paranoia? No, experience and knowledge, my friend. Live and learn.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #78
One of the problems that doctors are facing is that it is very difficult to prescribe lifestyle changes. You were willing to change the way that you lived in order to fix the problem. Most people aren't (or just don't). Doctors know this and struggle with what to recommend every day.

Your doctor probably should've told you that you could also try changing your diet and such, but you can't fault him for giving you a prescription for something that probably would've worked. Some drugs treat symptoms, and some drugs treat causes, and since you neither paid attention to what your doctor said about the drug nor read the labels on it, you have no idea which one this was or what the expected side effects were. You don't have enough information to know whether what he gave you was useful or not.

I'm not a fan of pharmaceuticals in most situations, but neither am I willing to blame doctors for prescribing them, unless they prescribe them irresponsibly (without informing you what the drug is, what its intended purpose is, what the potential side effects are, and so on).

EDIT: Also, I don't think anyone (including the doctors themselves) recommends that you take doctors as being the final authority. That's why doctors have to explain their treatment methods to you, and why the concept of informed consent exists, and such.

[ Wednesday, July 04, 2007 08:48: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #79
Doctors very rarely suggest even nutrition changes. When a family member of mine got cancer not one of about 10 doctors even mentioned such simple things as cutting back on sugar.

Clients come to me telling me that their doctor gave them this or that drug, and though it solved one problem it caused others. Doctors are far too quick to give prescriptions to people, but this is mostly because a lot of people want a quick fix. Nutritional changes and natural forms of medicine tend to take more time to resolve pain than popping a pill a couple times a day.

Also, Kel, often doctors wont tell people the side effects of drugs unless asked and hesitate even when asked, and most people don’t think to ask. I asked a couple of my family member's doctors why they didn’t tell her the potential side effects, and was told it was because they didn't want to create phantom symptoms.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #80
Kel, you seem to have some axe to grind with me. I'm not as bad or as stupid as you make me out to be. Let it go, man.

I did read the label. That's why I know I didn't want to take it. The doctor told me practically nothing about the drug other than, "try this, it should work." He mentioned nothing about lifestyle changes. The main culprit was some sugary cereal I was eating everyday. He should have asked me about my diet and made some suggestions. He did not. He gave me drugs. I know they would have changed my digestive chemistry and most likely caused other problems while not curing the one I had.

Most people feel like Alo. "If your doctor recommends a prescription, though, I'd say you should at least strongly consider taking it...Most long-term drugs are given for very serious conditions, though, and the small risk of toxicity is going to be more than balanced by the increase in quality of life and health." I do not. I listen to doctors, but very suspiciously. I have had too many bad experiences and heard them from others to do anything else.

People that do stuff because the doctor thinks it's best can plan on being on a host of drugs in their golden years, if not before. Some of the drugs will probably be for problems caused by other drugs. I am doing everything in my power not to live like that. Up until now that's working for me. I don't force my opinions and preferences on others though. I'm sharing how I like to live. But like I said, to each his own.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #81
This would be a good point in time for someone with more time than me to put together a list of Stillness quotes which illustrate the pervading sense of superiority that characterizes his posts.

But until then, live and learn.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #82
Doctors rarely warn you about side effects and even when they see you regularly they can fail to notice obvious adverse reactions. I've had several relatives suffer because their doctor failed to warn or change a prescription because of drug caused health problems.

You have to spend time researching the drugs because the doctors usually won't help you. They now have found that there are common genetic defects that can leave you more likely to suffer adverse effects and actually not get the drug's benefit. I'm in the 10% that get no pain relief from asprin and all the related non-steroidal anti-inflammatory over the counter drugs.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #83
quote:
I'm 23, and I've never had more alcohol than what was perhaps in any cough syrup I've taken. I suppose I'm the first and Kel is the 2nd, then?
Well, yeah, you are.

I've always believed "you don't know until you try." Explaining this is usually pretty futile, so I think I'll go on tour around the world spraying kids in the face with warm beer.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #84
I'm not superior to anyone. You're misreading me. I'm constantly misunderstood when I post on these boards. I have no clue why. I don't really know how to write any differently than I do. I thought I was being nice. Oh well...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Sarcasmon:

This would be a good point in time for someone with more time than me to put together a list of Stillness quotes which illustrate the pervading sense of superiority that characterizes his posts.
I think it would be even easier to put together a list of quotes written by people replying to Stillness which illustrate the pervasive sense of superiority that characterizes THEIR posts.

I mean, seriously. I disagree with most of what Stillness has posted, and there are times he's been quite unreasonable. But at least he doesn't make personal attacks. Invective is the easiest way to strip a post of all value.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #86
But going negative is the easiest way to fight. As we start another election campaign season, I keep fast forwarding thru the commercials.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #87
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

I disagree with most of what Stillness has posted, and there are times he's been quite unreasonable. But at least he doesn't make personal attacks.
Thank you?
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #88
I think Stillness is making a good point here. He might be streching it too far in his own life, but still.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #89
Elaborate on how I'm going too far. What good is a belief if you don't live it? I think my view is balanced. I'm not totally against drugs. I just won't use them when there is a better, non-drug option which I think there oftentimes (not always) is. That outlook has served me well. That's really all I'm saying.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #90
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

I've always believed "you don't know until you try."
I've always thought pretty near the opposite. I've seen enough people drunk to know what it's probably like. It is completely unappealing and repulsive to me. Ergo....
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

Elaborate on how I'm going too far.
The bit that I object to is speaking so disparagingly of doctors. You do give the impression that you will disobey doctors' instructions just for the sake of doing so, but I think that's only because of the prideful way that you speak of your habits, not because you actually do, so I think I am not in disagreement with you in practice.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #91
You seem willing to put yourself on the spot, so let's say you suffer from a minor but slightly painful physical ailment. Your doctor says it could be cured forever in three months by a minor adjustment in lifestyle or by taking a certain drug for one month. This drug has no side effects, it won't alter the way your body works beyond curing your ailment, and you'll never have to take it again after a month. It doesn't cost you anything and the doctor's not getting rewarded for selling it. What do you choose, and why?

Dikiyoba.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

I've always believed "you don't know until you try."
I've always thought pretty near the opposite. I've seen enough people drunk to know what it's probably like. It is completely unappealing and repulsive to me. Ergo....

While I too would favor the reverse maxim, your logic here is atrocious. Seeing drunk people tells you a lot about how drunk people tend to act and how they tend to look to others. It tells you absolutely nothing about what the experience of being drunk is like, though.

I never drank (and swore I never would) until I was 22. It was a great decision not to; the people I would have been drinking with in high school or college weren't people I was likely to really have positive experiences with. I don't think I would have handled it well at all. 15-year-old Slarty would call me agist for saying so, but I think age really does make a difference.

Today I still think most people go overboard in their use of drinking. But I also think that, applied with due temperance, drinking can be positive. Certainly the experience of it can be.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #93
quote:

Do you mean to tell me you've never been drunk as a teenager? Or haven't you been through that decade yet? I've never even known of anyone who went through college without drinking heavily at some point. Humor me: are you the first?

3rd

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #94
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

You seem willing to put yourself on the spot, so let's say you suffer from a minor but slightly painful physical ailment. Your doctor says it could be cured forever in three months by a minor adjustment in lifestyle or by taking a certain drug for one month. This drug has no side effects, it won't alter the way your body works beyond curing your ailment, and you'll never have to take it again after a month. It doesn't cost you anything and the doctor's not getting rewarded for selling it. What do you choose, and why?

Dikiyoba.

The drug because its quicker and easier. And I don't care about doctors getting rewarded. They should get rewarded from a company for pushing its product. What I care about is exchanging my health for their reward. I'm not saying all doctors do that, but my health may not be their only focus. I just want to make sure they don't get a little confused.

And I don't belittle doctors, Kel. They serve a great role in our society. I use them myself, as I mentioned and have been benefitted from them. I would never disobey them for the sake of disobeying. I would disobey when I think they're wrong or their advice is not the best.

Edit: On second thought I don't think doctors should be rewarded by drug companies. I don't know why I said that. That's one of the very reasons I am cautious with their advice.

[ Thursday, July 05, 2007 07:55: Message edited by: Stillness ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #95
quote:

quote:
I'm 23, and I've never had more alcohol than what was perhaps in any cough syrup I've taken. I suppose I'm the first and Kel is the 2nd, then?
Well, yeah, you are.

Laudimir actually wouldn't be second. Out of the people I know he would be about 8th. And by the way, my parents and I live in the culture where every holiday is celebrated with at least a couple bottles of wine, and it's rude not to drink to every toast. However, most of the people we prefer to spend time with don't care if you drink a whole glass or a single sip for each toast. (So I guess I do drink, if less than half a glass of wine over the duration of entire holiday dinner counts as drinking.)
quote:

I've always believed "you don't know until you try." Explaining this is usually pretty futile, so I think I'll go on tour around the world spraying kids in the face with warm beer.

Have you considered riding your motorcycle along dangerous mountain roads at the speed of 65 miles per hour? All the cool kids are doing it. As for the ones who end up at the bottom of a cliff, well, they didn't know if they could handle the speed until they've tried.

PS On completely different subject, about doctors, American doctors do seem too eager to always prescribe a pill. For example, while different doctors in Russia relied on antibiotics to different degrees, most of them would usually prescribe things like "warm drinks every two hours, interspersing acidic and basic drinks; point massage of regular cold points, and so on" for illnesses like flue and cold. (And by the way, these things do work, almost as well as whatever anti-cough and anti-runny nose medicine American doctors prescribe.)

However, doctors can't be blamed for this, because Americans simply expect to get a quick pill for any occasion and would be too lazy to follow "warm drinks every two hours, etc." prescription even if they got one. It also helped that USSR had a very generous sick leave policy, so people could actually stay at home and get well, instead of taking a pill to suppress the symptoms and going back to work.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #96
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Have you considered riding your motorcycle along dangerous mountain roads at the speed of 65 miles per hour? All the cool kids are doing it. As for the ones who end up at the bottom of a cliff, well, they didn't know if they could handle the speed until they've tried.

Which brings to mind something I have been thinking about regarding "dangerous activities." Could these be symbolized as a triangle (like a fire triangle) where one point is skill-set, one is appropriateness of tool, and the other is material upon which the tool is being used?

In your case, with the motorcycle, it seems that given the right skill set and tool, that 65 mph course is passable with ease. However, with a worsening tool, the skillset would have to get more impressive quite quickly in order to compensate. On the other hand, with a small skillset, either the tool would have to do all the skill work, or the road would have to be different.

I usually think of this in terms of vessel size/type, ocean conditions, and skipper experience, but I wonder if it could work elsewhere as well.

But in any case, I laughd when I saw you take that extreme. Unless you have Hep, or some other liver disease, a drink of alcohol isn't going to irreparably harm your body. Going over a cliff (no matter what the speed) will do grievous harm, even though you might bounce back.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #97
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Sarcasmon:

...But in any case, I laughd when I saw you take that extreme. Unless you have Hep, or some other liver disease, a drink of alcohol isn't going to irreparably harm your body. Going over a cliff (no matter what the speed) will do grievous harm, even though you might bounce back.
1. In Russia, average life expectancy for women is over 70. For men, it's 55. Alcohol is responsible for most of that difference. (I know that alcoholism is the symptom rather than the main problem, but it doesn't change the fact that alcohol is the actual thing that kills all these men, even if bad economy, etc. are to blame.)

2. He said "try anything", rather than "try anything safe". If he is only willing to try things that will not kill him, we can get into discussion of what can and can't kill you, but he has to add that disclaimer to his motto first.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #98
With alcoholism, it is the constant application of alcohol to liver which causes some of the bodily damage. The brain chemical thing, the drunken euphoria, is different, and also causes organ damage. In either case, it is the repeated application, rather than the isolated application, which is the problem. I agree that Russian society has a particular problem with alcoholism that is not easily solved. Similar problems have existed across the planet and history, and they eventually are solved. In the meantime, more and more people that are susceptible to alcoholism are erased from society, but few would be eligible for a Darwin award.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #99
Originally by Stillness:

quote:
The drug because its quicker and easier.
On second thought I don't think doctors should be rewarded by drug companies.
Okay, so same situation, except this time you learned about the lifestyle change option from somewhere else, because the doctor only told you about the drug, and he or she is getting a small commission for giving you a prescription. It's the same side-effect-free drug, though. Do you take it or not?

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Fixed quote.

[ Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:00: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

Pages