Video Game Addiction

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Video Game Addiction
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #100
Diki, I want the best thing for my health. Whether or not the doctor is being bribed does not effect that. These are not real world questions you're asking. That's why I stressed early on that I was talking about a real drug when we went off on this tangent.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #101
Thing is, Diki's trying to establish just that: is trusting a doctor's advice under several different scenarios the best thing for your health? (And just because the situations don't match the experience you've talked about doesn't stop them from being "real-world questions". I've never met a doctor exactly like Diki's descriptions, but I can at least draw parallels.)

--------------------
Today I dialed a wrong number... The other person said, "Hello?" and I said, "Hello, could I speak to Joey?"... They said, "Uh... I don't think so...he's only 2 months old." I said, "I'll wait."
- Steven Wright
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #102
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Originally written by Jumpin' Sarcasmon:He said "try anything", rather than "try anything safe". If he is only willing to try things that will not kill him, we can get into discussion of what can and can't kill you, but he has to add that disclaimer to his motto first.
I can't honestly say I'm safe at all. The motorcycle thing sounds like fun.

What I have learned here is there's a spectrum of people. I think it's a pretty good conclusion! It looks something like this:

-=DARING=-
The Dirty Sanchez boys
Johnny Knoxville
Delta Tao Kai pledgie
Average frat boy
Me
Law-abiding American
Choir boy
Benedictine Monk
Domestic Chicken
U.S. Police Officer
-=NOT DARING=-

[ Thursday, July 05, 2007 14:07: Message edited by: Nick Ringer ]

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #103
I don't really understand the joke about the police officers from a logical point of view, but it was still funny. :D

I have a few accomplished doctors in my family, and I can proudly say that they are dedicated to their work and try their best to help their patients. My mother once spent several weeks trying to diagnose a rare case of Cushing's syndrome. She has saved countless people from cancer. She does not receive direct compensation for prescribing a certain company's drugs. I guess all I can say is that there are quite a few doctors out there who you should trust, but unfortunately I couldn't tell you how to spot them, Stillness. I accept your skepticism, but I feel compelled to defend at least some doctors.

That being said, most clinical doctors prescribe drugs as the first option just because it is the quickest and simplest solution. The appointments finish more quickly, and the patient leaves with a an extremely easy to follow remedy. I am pretty sure most doctors will at least inform you of the possibility of alternatives if you ask. If you do not, then they just have to assume for the sake of celerity that you are satisfied with the pills.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #104
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

is trusting a doctor's advice under several different scenarios the best thing for your health? (And just because the situations don't match the experience you've talked about doesn't stop them from being "real-world questions".
Diki's doctor is omniscient and ethical and his drugs flawless and free. I'll obey that doctor without hesitation.

In the real world the answer to your question depends on the doctor, the scenario, and the individuals preferences. I've given you two real world scenarios - not hypothetical ones. In one instance I took the drug the doctor recommended (and let me add here that my experiences with dentists has been overall good, not like with other doctors). In the other instance the doctor helped me by diagnosing me, but I disagreed with his solution to my problem and found my own which I feel is better. Where is the problem with that? Which solution to the problem would you prefer in my situation, mine or the doctor's?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #105
Dr. Ringer says: drop acid!

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #106
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

I have a few accomplished doctors in my family, and I can proudly say that they are dedicated to their work and try their best to help their patients...She does not receive direct compensation for prescribing a certain company's drugs.
I have a cousin that I'm close with that is a doctor. A few weeks ago she spent a lot of time helping my wife and I out with a scare that we had. Her advice and information was invaluable. If anyone thinks I'm saying doctors are useless they are reading me wrong. I couldn't help but notice your words "direct compensation" though. I won't ask you about your mom, but I wonder am I the only one here who is aware that there is a relationship between doctors and drug companies that is the subject of some ethical debate.

Drug Companies Mine Doctors Prescriptions

Drug companies spend 13 billion per year buying lunches, paying travel expenses, hiring for lectures, paying for continued education

quote:
most clinical doctors prescribe drugs as the first option just because it is the quickest and simplest solution. The appointments finish more quickly, and the patient leaves with a an extremely easy to follow remedy.
Quick, simple, and easy don't mean best. And I think it's debatable whether the doctors solution is always the easiest. I reckon that depends on how you define easy and simple. If natural methods can cure and cost less but the doctor gives you a prescription that you'll need for life and that will have side effects because he wants to quickly move you out of his office and get to the next patient and the drug company pays him $2500 per visit to sit in with patients, that works well for him, but not for the me.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #107
Didn't the UBB already eat this debate? Gevalt.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #108
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

I have a cousin that I'm close with that is a doctor. A few weeks ago she spent a lot of time helping my wife and I out with a scare that we had. Her advice and information was invaluable. If anyone thinks I'm saying doctors are useless they are reading me wrong.
Thank for you for the acknowledgment.

quote:
I couldn't help but notice your words "direct compensation" though. I won't ask you about your mom, but I wonder am I the only one here who is aware that there is a relationship between doctors and drug companies that is the subject of some ethical debate.

Drug Companies Mine Doctors Prescriptions

Drug companies spend 13 billion per year buying lunches, paying travel expenses, hiring for lectures, paying for continued education

I am very well aware of this money flow for many, special reasons. However, by these same tacit reasons, I also know with great confidence that doctors like my mother take advantage of the pharmaceutical companies' offers without sacrificing their integrity for their patients. But again, I cannot speak for all doctors.

quote:
Quick, simple, and easy don't mean best. And I think it's debatable whether the doctors solution is always the easiest. I reckon that depends on how you define easy and simple. If natural methods can cure and cost less but the doctor gives you a prescription that you'll need for life and that will have side effects because he wants to quickly move you out of his office and get to the next patient and the drug company pays him $2500 per visit to sit in with patients, that works well for him, but not for the me.
I did not say it was an ideal situation. Nevertheless, the assertion that many Americans refuse to, or have extreme difficulty with, changing their lifestyle and habits is undeniably true. For them, chemical drugs are the easiest solution. For example, most people do not experience major side effects from high blood pressure medicine. They find it exceedingly easy and effective to take a pill every day, whereas trying to stop eating the greasy all-American staples that they have grown up with is a monumental task. I think the problem with the American mentality in this situation is that people keep thinking, "I can have my cake and eat it, too." Literally.

Also, some common medical conditions that homeopathic proponents often claim effective, all-natural cures for do in fact require drugs to properly alleviate. Genetically influenced high cholesterol is a prevalent example. For people with this genetic problem, even small amounts of cholesterol will be metabolized unhealthily, that is, the LDL:HDL ratio will still be too high. And even cutting cholesterol completely out of the diet would be both infeasible and ineffective.

Remember, however, that I personally avoid drugs whenever possible because I do not like putting foreign chemicals into my body. I would rather deal with diet changes than a pill regiment, and I occasionally subscribe to the belief that the use of drugs will subject our immune systems to deterioration from disuse. But I am a firm believer in science and progress as well.

[ Thursday, July 05, 2007 21:03: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #109
Originally by Stillness:

quote:
These are not real world questions you're asking. That's why I stressed early on that I was talking about a real drug when we went off on this tangent.
I think hypothetical situations can be useful for finding exactly where and why one draws the line, but if you don't think so, then I'll stop.

But will you please define "natural methods"? Dikiyoba isn't exactly sure what you mean by it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #110
Continue if you don't understand where I'm coming from. I'll play.

That's a good question. By "natural" I'm referring to something that does not use man-made chemicals (i.e. exercise, change in diet, plants, etc).
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #111
Try hemlock, it's an all natural herb. One dose will cure you forever.

Just because it's natural doesn't mean that it's the solution. You still need to consider all the effects like sudden death.

It's when you don't have enough information to make a valid decision about the best course of action. Most doctors don't take the time to explain them and don't take the time to even learn what the problems are.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #112
I prefer sea serpent venom, thank you.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #113
Aren't some botonists still trying to synthesize the rain forest into a cure for cancer?

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #114
I don't know what 'synthesize the rain forest' means, but I know there are a lot of more natural, less damaging alternatives to cutting parts of your body off or irradiation. There are also preventative things that can be done, like having a healthy diet.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #115
My doctor is honest. He tells me what I have, what he wants to treat about it, what he's prescribing, what it'll do, why he's prescribing that one as opposed to something else, and what kind of behavior I can implement to help the healing go faster. Best part is, I generally don't have to ask.
He also tells me that I'm a moron.
I think I'll listen to him.

Of course, I'm one of those rare fools who is on a first-name basis with his doctor.
And, of course, I have one of those rare doctors who is more interested in lifestyle than diagnosis.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin prescribes two aspirin, a nitroglycerin, four crab apples, and a Jersey peach.
Toss them at your target and call him in the morning.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #116
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Try hemlock, it's an all natural herb. One dose will cure you forever.

Just because it's natural doesn't mean that it's the solution. You still need to consider all the effects like sudden death.

One of the reasons why I dislike saying "natural cures" is because the phrase harbors this type of inherent ambiguity. Just because something comes from nature does not mean it is tailored for human consumption. When a type of food from nature proves to be beneficial, though, I trust its safety far more than I trust the safety of artificially made drugs that are tested on only a few hundred or thousand people. The general harmlessness of garlic, however, has been proven millions of times over and over. Unless you're a vampire.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #117
The only difference between natural and artificial is origins. Natural "drugs" can have side effects, toxicities, and interactions. Exercise is probably going to do you nothing but good (there are exceptions!), but don't, say, start taking St. John's wort if you're on other medication.

—Alorael, who supposes you could go off all other medication. As long as you're happy being your own unqualified doctor, fine. He'll admit that many doctors vastly overprescribe for non-ailments, especially antibiotics, but once you get into serious illness territory it's reasonable to look for a second opinion and unreasonable to decide that you know best.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #118
85% of prescription drugs are derived from plants or fungi anyway.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #119
100% of everything comes from nature. the question is what happens between nature and final product.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #120
Just because it's natural (edit: or at least more natural) doesn't mean it should get a free pass. It's foolish to be skeptical about the safety of prescription or over-the-counter drugs and not be skeptical of natural things like herbal supplements or miraculous health foods as well.

Dikiyoba.

[ Friday, July 06, 2007 15:52: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #121
Botanists can isolate a particular plant chemical (natural) and synthesize a chemical (artificial) that has a particular, known, effect on the human body. While the origins may be "of nature," the end result drug is not. Thinking of Taxol here, among others.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #122
If a psychiatrist told you you were suffering from video game addiction, would your first response be to laugh?

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #123
I would scream "BURMA" and drive my thumbs into her eye sockets.

At least, I would do it to YOUR psychiatrist. Not mine. My psychiatrist can beat up your psychiatrist.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #124
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

If a psychiatrist told you you were suffering from video game addiction, would your first response be to laugh?
I'd hope I hadn't paid too much for that first session and never go back.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris

Pages