Reccomend other RPGs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Reccomend other RPGs
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #0
Shareware:
Teudogar: Alliance With Rome

UnReal World
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #1
Um, quick suggestion. Why don't you actually tell us something about it while you're advertising?
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #2
Mount & Blade
Best horseback combat system I've ever seen in a game. Not really an RPG, strictly speaking, but it has some RPG like elements in it.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #3
Battle for Wesnoth

Free fantasy based strategy/war game. Multiplayer options.

--------------------
You are asleep.

Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.

So it goes.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #4
Fallout 1 and 2. The best RPG there is, if not the best game of all time. Lots of sex and violence, crude humor, language, a great story, awesome characters and bad guys, it looks very pretty, amazing scenery and feel to it, has a great engine (looking at how Jeff's engines have been evolving, I think he drew much inspiration from it, actually). Did I mention there's lots of sex and violence?

Knights of the Old Republic. If your also into Star Wars, this is a must. I like the fact that you can choose to be good or evil, and this game is second only to Fallout in that department. There's nothing like stealing from beggars, and constantly killing people that annoy you in any way.

I've also just gotten into the Elder Scrolls series. The newer ones are amazing. The world is huge. Massive. There is so much to do. So many quests to go on, so much treasure to find, so many people to kill.

Finally, if you're willing to pay a bit extra for an mmorpg, World of Warcraft is the way to go. I haven't played others, really, but people I've spoken to that have say it's the best. All hail the mighty Blizzard Entertainment.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 8691
Profile #5
I second Fallout, and add Arcanum. It's made by many of Fallout 2's devs, and has a great steampunk setting(basically a Victorian society where magic and technology are at odds after the invention of the steam engine) with great dialog. Combat is iffy though.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, with the caveat that you have to be able to stomach the AD&D engine, particularly spellcasting. The second game of the two has been described as the T Rex of games, and with good reason. It's enormous, it's almost excessively filled with things and details, and nobody makes games anything like it anymore.

Planescape: Torment gets even more rave reviews, including from Jeff Vogel, but you'll need Windows to play it. It holds the distinction of using a combat-oriented engine to produce a game that can be, depending on your style, exceedingly combat-light. I also love the characters.

—Alorael, who gives both games a lot of credit for letting you design your character from the ground up, including ethos to a large extent, but still involving your character and its history in the game. Nameless, semi-silent protagonists don't have to be uninvolved!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8596
Profile #7
I reccomend Odin Sphere, which I am playing currently. It's a great game if you're more into action RPGs and lush 2d graphics.

I also would reccomend Ar Tonelico, but you'd all probably hate it.

--------------------
ni~pah
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #8
Ratchet and Clank series
Kingdom Hearts I and II
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy series
Metroid series

[ Sunday, May 27, 2007 14:44: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
I've just reinstalled NWN to hit some modules that looked interesting.

I find the game barely tolerable, but perhaps you're more patient.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #10
I'll second the endorsements of Arcanum and the Baldur's Gate series.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 43
Profile #11
I'll go way out on a limb ... and recommend PlayByWeb for some RPGs. Depending on just what you're interested in--only catch is that it's pretty much all text (you supply your character's)--there's bound to be a game or two of interest.

Personally, I like the old OD&D or AD&D (1st or 2nd ed), but I have friends trying to get me into some new systems (Aberrant, GURPS) ...
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #12
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar
quote:
Knights of the Old Republic
Seconded.

Also you might like Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy although its not really an rpg.

[ Monday, May 28, 2007 08:09: Message edited by: Leftover Sauerkraut ]

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #13
Tales of Symphonia for Gamecube is good. I've only replayed it, oh, four times, but remembering that every play-through takes roughly 40 hours from me...

I've also played different Angband variants to excess. Heck, I've even won one (oh yes I have!)! ToME, Scthulhuband, Zangband, animeband and Sangband are the most worthwile ones in my experience, go get 'em!

ADoM and Nethack are priceless, in various meanings of the word. Go get them too!

Star Control 2, of course, stands out as one of the most astonishing games I've played ever. You can find its free, revised version, Ur-Quan Masters, for free from sourceforge, which is good as it nullifies the need for emulators.

And then there are Metroid Primes 1 & 2. They have little to do with RPGs, but are few of the best games I've ever played. If you own a cube or Wii, definitely worth getting.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #14
quote:
...Metroid Primes 1 & 2...
Those are the only Metroid games I have played.
I have beaten Metroid Prime, close to beating Metroid Prime 2: Ecoes.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
Did anybody mention Runescape yet? It's fun but addicting, and for me, it's become boring once I have to mine 15 inventories of iron just to gain one level.

But I haven't played very many of those new ones, including World of Warcraft, which Jeff himself seems to be a huge fan of.

--------------------
-ben4808
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #16
Bah. Nalyd quit Runescape a long time ago. Too much walking, tedium, mindlessly useless skills required to get even moderately useful things. Horrible, really.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
Yes, I agree. They should at least have some more effective shortcuts to quickly gain experience once you get a high level in a skill.

Don't mind me, though; on with the RPG talk. :cool:

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #18
I think we have all pretty much covered runescape here.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
Apprentice
Member # 8828
Profile #19
I found this really cool game called Geneforge that lets you shoot fireballs and make killer lizards.

But one of my favorite games of all time is a strategy RPG for the N64, Ogre Battle 64, hence the profile pic.

[ Tuesday, May 29, 2007 16:03: Message edited by: Wojiz ]
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #20
I'm surprised no one has mentioned pong yet.

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Apprentice
Member # 2124
Profile Homepage #21
Fallout 1 & 2, because there are so few post-apocalyptic RPG's out there that are good!!!! I'm a dialog freak, so I'm all over this kind of stuff... I also like Planescape: Torment for the unusual plot, characters, and crazy awesome dialog, but it gets pretty tough at the end.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pong yet.
How is pong an RPG? Sports game all the way.

--------------------
-ben4808
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #23
Didn't you ever play past 21 points, go up a level, and gain the ability to shoot fireballs from your paddle?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Pong is so an RPG! I remember many a fun late-night session, seeing my paddle develop character, personality and depth, and watching the dramatic tale of high fantasy unravel before me.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.

Pages