Recommend a new (to me) game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Recommend a new (to me) game
Apprentice
Member # 8122
Profile #0
Good Morning,
I am in search of a new game. Unfortunately, I haven't liked most of the new games that have been published recently. I looked in all of the normal places and when I told them what games I did like they looked at me funny and asked what they were. I figured that my chances of finding people who liked the Exile games were higher here, so here I am.

Anyway, my all-time favorite games have been X-Com, Civ II, and the Exile games. For some reason the Avernum games didn't grab me the way that Exile did, but that is a different topic. I have also enjoyed playing the Escape Velocity games and Diablo II in single player mode.

So, what games did I not like? I didn't like Baldur's Gate I or II. I didn't like Halo or Unreal Tournament. I almost liked Command & Conquer, but not quite. I didn't like Starcraft. Or Warcraft. Mostly if it was a FPS or RTS I didn't like it.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm on an Intel Mac, so I can play older windows games and newer mac games.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
Play the Geneforge games in order .
Also, play some PS2 games.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #2
What resources do you have? What consoles, what kind of computer, handhelds, etc.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
OS isn't really a problem. All games made by Spiderweb can be run on either Mac or PC. As for games, see Infernal Flamming Muffin's post.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Apprentice
Member # 8122
Profile #4
Wow, that was faster than I expected :)

I should add that I have played all of Jeff's games, up to the last Geneforge and Avernum releases. I really enjoy the way his brain works, but the graphics and controls get in the way (for me) on his newer games. I should have never played the Exile games, so that I could enjoy the Avernum (and Nethergate, and Geneforge) games more.

We don't have a TV, so console games don't get any consideration, although, way back in the day I absolutely loved Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. I have an Intel iMac, with XP running under Parallels. Newer Mac stuff runs fine, newer PC stuff will probably give me some graphics problems.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #5
Use Bootcamp. That will let you run Windows games and use 3D graphics.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 16:57: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 6816
Profile Homepage #6
you might like
www.urbandead.com

it's an online MMORPG were your trapped in a city full of zombies and survivors.

quote:
but the graphics
perfect, urbandead is text based.
:D

--------------------
i eat serviles for breakfast.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #7
A small TV doesn't cost that much, but get one that has a plug in thing for audio and video. Then get a game cube or playstation 2 or 3. Then get games that sound interesting like the Ratchet and Clank games (best in order) for the PS2, or Metroid Prime for the game cube. But there are other games (and consols).

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6816
Profile Homepage #8
sorry, my computer messed up.
:(

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 17:00: Message edited by: adal basir goker alvar ]

--------------------
i eat serviles for breakfast.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
It's worth pointing out that console games are anything but off limits to you, as you can emulate the older systems. The NES and SNES in particular had a plethora of great RPGs, some of which involved the tactical elements I am guessing you enjoy, based on your list of favorite games.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
If you don't mind really old games go to mac the underdogs in the RPG section for games like Might and Magic. They are really old from the 1980's so the graphics are primitive. The thrill was solving puzzles and figuring out how to deal with large numbers of different monster types.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #11
The Fool's Errand. Old B&W game, all puzzles w/ storyline. However you may have problems running it under Windows.

If you can find a good Mac System 6/7/8/9 emulator however you can play it pretty well. Don't use Classic as the any Quickdraw based game has issues due to buffering.

Other good oldies include Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle, Realmz :D .

Also try The Ninja Game (Flash download) Very addictive and fun. Just load iTunes with some good music and away you go trying to beat all 200 levels.

BTW, does anyone know of a Mac OS X LodeRunner game?

Masters of Orion 2, Galactic Civs are good. Skip Masters of Orion 3.

Does Baslisk work on Intel Macs?

On the SNES front:
Lufia 1 & 2
FF6
Chrono Trigger

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dahak:

Does Baslisk work on Intel Macs?
Here's the site for the OS X port of Basilisk II; for those who don't know, it emulates an older (68k) Mac, allowing you to run old Mac games. The site reports "a few problems" with Intel Macs, especially when emulating a 68040 Mac, so you might want to try a 68030 instead.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 21:01: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #13
I found a great Lode Runner a couple years ago on HOTU, somewhere. It was in color, with nice music. But I lost interest because it was a bit too hard.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
I recommend looking at this abandoneware site:

Mac garden

Here is where I got the flight simulators I played when i was seven years old, maybe you can find something nice too.

Also, is it RPG's you really want, or does adventure suit you too? If so, I can recommand Dark castle. To play it you can download mini vmac. If you are interested, PM me, and I'll give you the details.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #15
If you like military strategy games try one of the various 5-star iterations by SSI - like Pacific General or Panzer General.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #16
Why haven't you played Star Control 2? It's the only thing in this post that's free and it's more than worth it. Look, there's a link. Now you have no excuse.

Also, if you're into fast-paced action, most Sonic the Hedgehog games will offer that in some form. The recent Mega Man games have become so crazily difficult to complete properly with all bonuses intact that I honestly can't imagine anyone actually trying, but if you want a ridiculous challenge you could look there.

If you like both platformer action and RPG-style exploration, Metroid and Castlevania should do nicely.And if you just want a traditional RPG, umm...I've heard good things about FFXII, the Kingdom Hearts games, and Dragon Quest 8? I've never actually played them, though.

I also have an innate love of all of the Zelda games, but you probably have a good idea of them already.

And that's the console side of the story. More to come.

--------------------
http://whyte-shadow-neko.deviantart.com - My drawings!
Waka Laka love and fantasy~
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #17
You seem to like turn-based over real time, with the unusual exception of Diablo 2.

I recommend Fallout, the best RPG ever. It's kind of like Diablo, only turn based, takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, and has an decent plot.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Fallout resembles Diablo only in that you have a character who may spend a fair amount of time killing things. In other words, it's an RPG. It's still fantastic, though.

Although it doesn't really fit in with anything mentioned already, Cave Story is a wonderful whatever it is. Adventure-platformer with a plot?

—Alorael, who has no idea why he likes Cave Story. It has none of the elements that he usually enjoys in a game and several that he usually doesn't, but he still thinks it's a lot of fun.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #19
Play Star Ocean 3. It's highly addicting.

Or you know what? Play D&D. Just find some cool people to play with and you're set.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #20
quote:
I really enjoy the way his brain works
I think if more people knew about Jeff's games he'd be a rich man by now.
quote:
We don't have a TV
:eek: I'm so glad I'm not you. I'm kind of a videogame addict, as I've been playing console games and computer games since I was 2.
quote:
I found a great Lode Runner a couple years ago on HOTU, somewhere.
I loved that game on Windows, especially since you could create and edit levels and it could be played with one or two players. I still have it, but I haven't played it in like a couple of years.
quote:
The recent Mega Man games have become so crazily difficult to complete properly with all bonuses intact that I honestly can't imagine anyone actually trying, but if you want a ridiculous challenge you could look there.

I agree, I really liked the old Mega Man games, except MM1 and I also enjoyed the MMX series. These games were relatively difficult, but you didn't have a bunch of stupid bonuses to get in the way, like all the chips on MM Battle Network. (I still enjoyed it, but I didn't go get all the stupid chips or anything, even though I normally like to get 100% on games, it wasn't any fun to even try) Anyway, if you're looking for good RPGs I'd reccomend Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel, but I don't know if there was a Mac version.

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #21
You could also try out Runescape.
Since I don't know how to create a link, I will just say go to http://www.runescape.com.
Edit-how did that link happen?

[ Monday, February 19, 2007 10:10: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #22
For future reference, you create links by clicking on the URL button just below the add reply button.

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #23
Geneforge 1 through 4. All the way. I would also recommend Age of Empires II: The Conqueror's Expansion.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #24
I found Age 3 expansion to be a lot nicer. No matter how slow they go or how much population they take, cannon are broken.

Well that's not entirely true, but as it stands, even 15 heavy cannon are enough to rip apart a hastily thrown together army.

[ Monday, February 19, 2007 11:14: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????

Pages