Dinosaurs Are Alive

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dinosaurs Are Alive
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #0
Coelacanth

Diatomyidae

Neoglyphea neocaledonica

Ivory billed woodpecker

Coincidence? I think not. Now you can all sit around if you want, but I'm going to go bag me a dino.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #1
There are still ancient creatures around of course. Crocs, for example. But I still believe that dinosaurs are extinct.

That said, good luck hunting.

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
Good luck with the hunt. See if you can capture Mokele-mbembe.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #3
I don't know that I would classify that last one as a dinosaur... or the crustacean... or the mammal... or the 'ancient' fish really. Well, maybe the ancient fish, but being once thought extinct doesn't qualify one to be a dinosaur.

1 : any of a group (Dinosauria) of extinct chiefly terrestrial carnivorous or herbivorous reptiles of the Mesozoic era
2 : any of various large extinct reptiles other than the true dinosaurs

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
Well, I believe you. Radiohead have been preaching that

quote:
Dinosaurs roam the Earth
since 2003.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Gizmo:

I don't know that I would classify that last one as a dinosaur... or the crustacean... or the mammal... or the 'ancient' fish really. Well, maybe the ancient fish, but being once thought extinct doesn't qualify one to be a dinosaur.
I made no such claim. I'm just under the belief that if all theses 'extinct' creatures have been found, sooner or later somebody is going to find a dinosaur.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #6
What do ye mean, going to find? Hey, I've been here for all the time, and ye still haven't noticed?!

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #7
I think it's very possible that some dinosaurs are still alive. The examples that he showed were animals supposed to be extinct, by using the same logic as is used to suppose that dinosaurs are extinct.
So if these were found to be alive why couldn't a dinosaur be alive in some unexplored place. (There are places yet to be explored.)

------------------
"Yes, there are dinosaurs alive. The proof? I'm one!"-The dinosaur behind me.

[ Thursday, June 15, 2006 09:22: Message edited by: Major ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Um, most exciting dinosaurs were big. Rather too big to escape notice, even in "unexplored" places. It's not likely that we're ever going to find a polar-rex. We might find something small (say, on the order of a big lizard), but that's about it.

However, the idea that birds are basically what's left of the dinosaurs has been circulating for some time. I don't know how that theory holds up at the moment, but I haven't heard that it's been discredited.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #9
It has been discredited and recredited several times. Not sure whether it's in style this year or not.

[ Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:14: Message edited by: WiKiSpidweb ]

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #10
Um, I think a dinosaur is still a dinosaur even if it the size of a chicken. Finding any type of a dinosaur would be exciting.
As for unexplored places there are large tracks of jungles in Africa that haven't been explored that are large enough to hide large dinosaurs. Dikiyoba briefly joked about some sightings by the natives about a large dinosaur looking thing in that area.

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Major:

As for unexplored places there are large tracks of jungles in Africa that haven't been explored that are large enough to hide large dinosaurs.
Depends on what you consider a "large" dinosaur. There isn't enough space anywhere in the world to hide a T-rex. There are probably plenty of dog-sized animals and smaller that live on land and have yet to be classified.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Coincidence?

Yes, IMHO.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #13
quote:
There isn't enough space anywhere in the world to hide a T-rex.
Hehe, I could almost hide one in my backyard. However do you know what I'm talking about? The place I'm talking about?

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
Loch Ness Monster?

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Sturg:

Loch Ness Monster?
That was actually an elephant. It escaped from a nearby circus or something that was holding that same elephant nearby the lake.

[ Thursday, June 15, 2006 14:57: Message edited by: Cairo Jim ]

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #16
quote:
That was actually an elephant. It escaped from a nearby circus or something that was holding that same elephant nearby the lake.
Yea, it was fuzzy and it swam under water. Must of been evolving into a fish!

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #17
No, it was just some people playing a prank. Like the crop circles.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #18
quote:
No, it was just some people playing a prank. Like the crop circles.
Yep, alot of people played pranks about seeing the lockness monster. But that was not what I was thinking about. I was thinking about the group of scientists who scanned the lake and found a large fuzzy thing turn up on the screen.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #19
One should always question whether a fuzzy screen is truly significant. In this case, probably not.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #20
From what little outdated knowledge I have on the Loch Ness Monster, I can assure Sullust that... the proof is sketchy at best.
Loch Ness is a peat bog. Meaning that all scientists get on the scope is a bunch of fuzzy figures, as all of the peat interferes with just about any reading you can take in a lake, visual especially.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin saw Lt. Sullust's sig and cited Monty Python:
Bibo ergo sum.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
From the typical place.
quote:
There has been much speculation about the use of technology to bring dinosaurs back to life. In Michael Crichton's book Jurassic Park, which popularized the idea, scientists use blood from fossilized mosquitos that have been suspended in tree sap since the Mesozoic to reconstruct the DNA of dinosaurs, filling chromosomal gaps with modern frog genes. It is probably impossible to resurrect dinosaurs in this manner. One problem with the amber extraction method is that DNA decays over time by exposure to air, water and radiation, making it unlikely that such an approach would recover any useful DNA (DNA decay can be measured by a racemization test).

The successful extraction of ancient DNA from dinosaur fossils has been reported on two separate occasions, but upon further inspection and peer review, neither of these reports could be confirmed.[29] However, a functional visual peptide of a (theoretical) dinosaur has been inferred using analytical phylogenetic reconstruction methods on gene sequences of still-living related species (reptiles and birds).[30]

Even if dinosaur DNA could be reconstructed, it would be exceedingly difficult to "grow" dinosaurs using current technology since no closely related species exist to provide zygotes or a suitable environment for embryonic development.

Also, apparently some of the thingies that still are alive today (unchanged by evolution) are not technically dinosaurs. It was a small sub-class of the range of nasty thud-thud monsters that existed in the way back back (65-230 million years ago). Even though crocs, alligators, and sharks, plus the freakie-deakies on the list are still pumping blood, it just means that they are superior life forms that didn't need to evolve to cope with changes in their habitat.

And unless I'm mistaken, there is no actual proof (multiple sighting, photo, etc) that the Ivory billed woodpecker was not hunted to extinction last century.

:)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
There is always a slight probability since new species are being discovered every year, especially in remote places. Any survivors from the dinosaur era will probably be small, but there are still rumors out of Africa of the big one.

Good luck hunting and bring it back alive like Professor Challenger in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World. It's not his fault they left the window open.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #23
Who cares about dinosaurs anyway? What I want is a brace of dodos for my mantel.

Well, the giant squid was thought a myth for many years and it exists (rarely), so perhaps there are other deep sea creatures dating back to the time of dinos.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #24
quote:
Well, the giant squid was thought a myth for many years and it exists (rarely), so perhaps there are other deep sea creatures dating back to the time of dinos.
Giant squid are not rare.

[ Friday, June 16, 2006 05:05: Message edited by: Maimonides ]

Pages