Dinosaurs Are Alive

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dinosaurs Are Alive
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #25
Rarely caught, I think he means.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #26
Why do you think he means that?...

I think the elephant explanation of the Loch Ness Monster is even less credible than the monster itself, but hey, I'm not going to completely discount the idea that some sort of holdover from the dinosaur era exists in Loch Ness (or the ocean or wherever). What I want to know is this: how did Europeans and Asians come up with such similar mythological beasts? Japanese dragons and European dragons may be completely different characteristically, but visually they're quite similar. Anyone know anything about the origins of both myths?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #27
All those photos of a small head and part of the body looks awfully like an elephant. I can't fully remember the whole news article on how someone found out it was an elephant, but since this elephant has been dealt with, there hasn't being any sightings.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
Q: If dinosaurs are alive, will I get to ride a T-Rex anytime soon?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #29
[QUOTEQ: If dinosaurs are alive, will I get to ride a T-Rex anytime soon?
[/QUOTE]

Only if you don't mind traveling in it's belly.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

What I want to know is this: how did Europeans and Asians come up with such similar mythological beasts? Japanese dragons and European dragons may be completely different characteristically, but visually they're quite similar. Anyone know anything about the origins of both myths?
Try When they severed Earth from sky by Barber and Barber. Some of the earlier oral histories (Beowulf) have descriptions of dragons that are closely tied with barrowmounds. No descriptions of the dragons are given, but it is assumed they exist because the fire comes out of the mound. It could be that a torch ignites methane gas that is released from the burial chamber when the tomb raiders create an opening.

As tomb raiding is universal, such a creature could be found all over the non-scientific world.

Or, there could be dragons.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
Also, do you think we're the first people to dig up dinosaur bones? When the ancients were doing serious digging for construction, or when mountainsides shifted in earthquakes or other natural events, they found enormous bones in the ground just as we do. A T-rex may not be exactly like a dragon, but I can't say that I wouldn't come up with a dragon, too, if I were looking at old dinosaur bones.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

Also, do you think we're the first people to dig up dinosaur bones? When the ancients were doing serious digging for construction, or when mountainsides shifted in earthquakes or other natural events, they found enormous bones in the ground just as we do. A T-rex may not be exactly like a dragon, but I can't say that I wouldn't come up with a dragon, too, if I were looking at old dinosaur bones.
In fact, there's a very famous Chinese fossil site which was discovered based on local legends of dragons. (Unfortunately, attempting to hire local labour to dig up the fossils backfired; paying an equal amount for each fossil fragment regardless of size resulted in workers deliberately breaking fossils, which was hardly the intended result.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

In fact, there's a very famous Chinese fossil site which was discovered based on local legends of dragons. (Unfortunately, attempting to hire local labour to dig up the fossils backfired; paying an equal amount for each fossil fragment regardless of size resulted in workers deliberately breaking fossils, which was hardly the intended result.)
How do you get to be such an endless fount of useless but entertaining knowledge?

Which reminds me. If I'm ever in Melbourne or you're ever in Canberra, I need to buy you a beer. I got a free shirt the other day for knowing the plural of "octopus". :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
You pay by the hour they work slowly. You pay by the piece you get a lot of pieces. You pay by size, then the smaller pieces are ignored as not worth the effort. You get what you pay for.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #35
Promise to pay them a lot of money for doing the job well.

Don't pay them anything, and show them how they did poorly. They will learn eventually to do the perfect job. Until then, they are students.

--------------------
quote:

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #36
As a kid I had a big coffee table book which argued that dragons had really existed, in the form of reptiles adapted to flying by generating internal hydrogen to become lighter than air. This would also allow them to expel flammable gas, which they could supposedly ignite. Since they would thus have been scarey as hell, but fragile as blimps, they were quickly exterminated by humans. But not before a few legends began. No dragon fossils have been found, because their acidic internal chemistry dissolved all their bones upon death. Fun book.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #37
quote:
As a kid I had a big coffee table book which argued that dragons had really existed, in the form of reptiles adapted to flying by generating internal hydrogen to become lighter than air. This would also allow them to expel flammable gas, which they could supposedly ignite. Since they would thus have been scarey as hell, but fragile as blimps, they were quickly exterminated by humans. But not before a few legends began. No dragon fossils have been found, because their acidic internal chemistry dissolved all their bones upon death. Fun book.
It's possible that they actually found dragons. Or we could say they just found dinosaurs.
Maybe they just made up the flame part? Or was there a dinosaur that breathed fire?

------------------
"Flames? Just what I want"-The person with a new flamethrower.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #38
Maimonides, I did mean rarely caught/found. Evidence to support their existence is a relatively recent thing. Not clear from my original message but that was an incisive interpretatation by Sprung.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #39
Originally by Student of Trinity:

quote:
I remember watching a TV special a while back that hit a lot of the same points. (Unfortunately, the special was not fun.)

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Fixed quote.

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:49: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #40
A beastie has been uncovered in Maine. Two stories below, one with a picture. Is this a new creature, a hybrid, or just some mangy old mutt that died doing something it loved?

Link to story

Story with picture

--------------------
quote:

Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

Why do you think he means that?...

I think the elephant explanation of the Loch Ness Monster is even less credible than the monster itself, but hey, I'm not going to completely discount the idea that some sort of holdover from the dinosaur era exists in Loch Ness (or the ocean or wherever). What I want to know is this: how did Europeans and Asians come up with such similar mythological beasts? Japanese dragons and European dragons may be completely different characteristically, but visually they're quite similar. Anyone know anything about the origins of both myths?

Umm, well, in the Bible, they refer to a few creatures that are large and scaly. One is called a "Leviathon", i believe its mentioned in revelations, and the other one i forgot what its called or where its mentioned...hm... Anyways yeah, its not just Europe or Asia that had dragon stuff, The Middle east and Africa did as well. Also, technically, dragons are dinosaurs... Because technically the way they came up with the idea is from dinosaurs. So yeah...

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
Honestly, "big scaly creature" is not that huge a resemblance as cross-cultural myths go.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #43
The Leviathan was a huge fish. Whether or not it was scaly wasn't really a factor.

And the Asian dragon looked more like a snake with legs than a winged lizard (they didn't even have wings!). The resemblance between Western and Eastern dragons is pretty minimal.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #44
Chinese dragons look a bit like western draqons, but qilin look nothing like leprechauns. Sometimes things are similar to other things, and sometimes they aren't.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #45
Job 41:1-34: The speaker is God, questioning Job. (King James Version; I deleted the verse numbers and made up paragraphs.)

quote:

Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down? Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?

Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee? Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever? Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens? Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?

Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears? Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.

Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him? None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me? Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? Whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.

I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion. Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle? Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about. His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal. One is so near to another, that no air can come between them. They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.

By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out. Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron. His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him. The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved. His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.

When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves. The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon. He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble. Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.

Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire. He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment. He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.

Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.
The four other Biblical references to Leviathan are much briefer, but one of them mentions that it is a type of serpent. I somehow have the idea that it is usually identified as a type of crocodile.

[ Sunday, August 20, 2006 04:07: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #46
My view of the Leviathan was that it was more of a super whale because of its size and references to it living in the deeps (ocean). However from the desciption in Job the name may have been given to more than one huge creature. Jonah was swallowed by a big fish and the type isn't specified.

[ Sunday, August 20, 2006 18:06: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #47
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

My view of the Leviathan was that it was more of a super whale because of its size and references to it living in the deeps (ocean). However from the desciption in Job the name may have been given to more than one huge creature. Jonah was swallowed by a big fish and the type isn't specified.
Actually, if you read Matthew 12:40, In the King James Edition, (which i dont want to debate why its better than NIV and all the other ones, cuz they suck), Jesus refers to it as a "Whale". So yeah, it IS specified...Specifically. Lol, ok bye

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #48
Jonah in the original Hebrew has big fish as the actual words (I remember from all those Yom Kippur services where it's read during the afternoon service in its entirety). I don't have a Hebrew Bible out to look up the other references. King James version and other translations tend to take liberties in order to make the texts more readable and accessable to their specific audiences. You need to go back to the original language sometimes to be sure about the exact wording.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #49
EDIT: Never mind.

[ Monday, August 21, 2006 00:12: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------

Pages