Did the forums help you register?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Did the forums help you register?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #0
How many people here have been convinced to register a spidweb game because of the forums? Whether you were not sure about going beyond the demo or downloaded and bought a game you never would have considered without the forums, did the forums have an impact on your decision to register the games? Or, on the opposite side, did the forums convince you to not register a game, and if so, did people tell you another game to try instead?

If, for example, you were discouraged for two games but helped to register for three, vote "Yes, once." A little game math to make the poll simpler.

Please answer truthfully, and posted replies are helpful too.

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 05:50: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=dbQkcieMeEmz"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=dbQkcieMeEmz"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #1
Well, I just joined the forums since I enjoyed the games.
I've always loved spidweb!

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 05:51: Message edited by: The punisher ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
I had already registered most of the games when I started visiting these forums, but I did buy BoE because of these forums.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #3
The poll is lacking a 'the forums have had no impact on my decisions' option.

I voted for 'yes, once' because I'm about to buy Blades of Exile, and I'm not sure whether I would even have downloaded the demo had I not been lurking on the forums.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I joined the forums since A3 didn't work (trial version). Seeing the designing community in this and other places convinced me to register both Blades of Avernum and Blades of Exile.

Based on the comments from Mac users about Avernum 4, I have been predisposed against it prior to its Windows release, but I am ready to judge it on its own merits now that I have the demo.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #5
Actualy, I joined when the only registered spidweb I owned was BoE.
I think in a way, the forums are currently helping me decide weather or not to get the whole exile series.
I probably will, since I love the classic exile games!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
The forums have not influenced me either way, at least not enough to make a difference in registration. They have made me think seriously about registering A2, but so far I have resisted the temptation. They have motivated me to try the BOA, A2 and Nethergate demos, but not far enough to really get into any of these games.

I'm not going to base my spending on forum opinions when there's a whole demo to assess for myself. Forum buzz might make me try a demo I otherwise wouldn't. From my experience so far, though, a demo I'm not already intrigued enough by to try without forum influence is probably not going to win my registration fee when I do try it, anyway.

The forums add to the value of the games I do register, in that I can get help on the forums, or discuss the games there. In that sense I am a little more likely to register any given Spiderweb game, because the forums add value to it.

The thing is, though, that I'm pretty conservative about registering games, because the time investment in playing the whole game is worth a lot more to me than the low cost. I only register games I really like, and the forums' influence is generally small compared to the margin by which I decide whether or not to register.

So for me the bottom line is that if the forums disappeared today, I'd be disappointed and all, but it probably wouldn't affect my future purchasing of Spiderweb software. I'd go on the mailing list to learn of new releases, and it would probably take quite a few disappointments in a row before I stopped trying all the new demos as they came out.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
On a couple of occasions.

I wouldn't have registered Nethergate had it not been for the support of some of the elders, here.

I also wasn't sure if BoA was all it was cut out to be until I was convinced that it would replace BoE at some point. (still not sure of this)

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #8
Indirectly.

I never would have downloaded - and, eventually, registered - BoA if I hadn't come to the forums, but the forums did not affect my opinion of its value, beyond revealing its existence.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
I have been actively discouraged from Spiderweb Software's programs due to the intense hostility of the more infantile members who have a tendency to post nothing but vitriol and actively harm other members. Such children are demons to these forums and should be removed instantly by a more responsible administration.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #10
This forum has led me to believe that the company cares about the mental well-being of its customers who may be more disposed to buy and register the games in case of some social challenge.
I am impressed about the community and have been recommending it to other parents.
I cannot keep track of how many registrations have come from this.

From a marketing aspect, I would recommend to pay a lot of attention to the preferences of potential customers - not only actual customers.
Knowing why customers register and why other potential customers do not register is the most important business secret - much more so than any piece of code.

Access to the community of customers and potential customers is therefore a valuable asset.
Can you own such a community?
Not to the extent that the members feel pwned unless you are Microsoft.

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 09:03: Message edited by: No 2 Methylphenidate ]

--------------------
The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Because of indifference, one dies before one actually dies. (not mine)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
quote:
Such children are demons to these forums and should be removed instantly by a more responsible administration.

I'd miss occasional intervals of droll irony.

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 09:05: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #12
By No 2 Methylphenidate:
quote:
This forum has led me to believe that the company cares about the mental well-being of its customers...
Something I'd never thought to read on SpidWeb general. Mental well-being? What mental well-being?

--------------------
Aaahhh!!! Run, it's the Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Fluffy Turtles!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
There can be more incentive for designing Blades scenarios as long as there is contests and the such.

--------------------
-ben4808
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
There's one major flaw with this survey. It only counts people who, after visiting the forums, STAY ON as members. Granted, most brief visitors probably aren't affected one way or the other, but there are a LOT of them, and they are the ones most likely to be undecided about downloading demos.

I have to guess that there are a lot of random visitors who follow the link off the main spiderweb site. If I pop into Blades of Avernum and see people talking about the scenarios that have been made, it might make me want to download the demo. If I pop into Geneforge and see people who are so interested in the game that they are trying to deconstruct the underlying game mechanics, it might make me want to download the demo.

If, on the other hand, I get the impression that SW fans are the kind of people who make spammy posts, mock the personal beliefs of other people, and use hate language left and right -- then I might think "gee, am I really going to like a game that appeals to these people?"

I think that's a lot more damaging than critical discussion of the games is. IMHO, gracious mods, enforcing the code of conduct would be the best way to make these boards more conducive to selling the games.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #15
Well, I bought GF3 before registering but, probably someone remember, I opened a poll asking advices for registering GF1 or 2.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #16
I was going to register A4 because some people were saying that is was worthwhile.

Then I played it. Needless to say I won't be making that mistake again.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
Well, I'd already registered A2 when I joined, perhaps A3 as well. I kind of registered independent of the forums... they neither encouraged nor discouraged me.

So I didn't vote.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By No 2 Methylphenidate:
quote:
This forum has led me to believe that the company cares about the mental well-being of its customers...
Something I'd never thought to read on SpidWeb general. Mental well-being? What mental well-being?

--------------------
Aaahhh!!! Run, it's the Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Fluffy Turtles!

The idea being that if you let your insanity reign free on these forums, you are more ready to face the average day of real life without danger to your mental balance. It works for me.

---

I agree that these forums are a profoundly valuable asset for market research, Methyl (can I call you that?), but Jeff has consistently stated that he doesn't do market research. Have you ever wondered where the "septugenarian eskimo" comes from?

I quote:

quote:
I have absolutely no idea. I live in those sort of shut-in fantasy world, free
of marketing research, target audiences, or anything else real people do. I
throw out the game, and collect credit card numbers. For all I know, my games
only ever sell to septugenerian eskimos. I'm not proud of this. I'm not saying
this is the best way to live. But here we are.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

The poll is lacking a 'the forums have had no impact on my decisions' option.
Quoted for emphasis. It had no influence on me buying anything, but by the time I came around to them I had registered everything until Avernum 2 and had despaired of registering anything else from the demos.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
The forum is making me think about registering another game or two, but I haven't actually registered any yet.

Dikiyoba.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #21
I registered for GF because, unlike SoT, I couldn't resist the temptation of the Demo. And at the time I had no knowledge of the boards. However, I registered for GF2 and am going to try the Demo for BoA because of the forums.
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #22
These forums made me choose to get BoE free with A1 instead of Nethergate. So I'm going to count that as "yes, once".

I don't think I've played BoE once in the last year, though. Wonder if I can find the CD.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #23
With GF I couldn't resist, either. With A2, I could. It was the graphics -- I don't have high standards for graphics, but I seem to have a threshold, and A2 didn't reach it. Maybe eventually I'll get drawn in, now that I have more familiarity with the Avernum world.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #24
I said more than three times but thats not entirely true. The boards have convinced me to buy the old Exile series and BoE, I just need to gather up the money and do it.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.

Pages