Did the forums help you register?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Did the forums help you register?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #25
A couple of times the forum comments have encouraged me to buy a game but it's also quite possible that I would have bought those in any case.

Trying the games myself has usually more effect on my decisions than the forum discussion.

[ Sunday, March 05, 2006 15:21: Message edited by: Milu ]
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #26
The forums may have had a small impact on me getting BOA but it had no effect on me registering BOE and very recently-A4.

Yes, I read the comments that people who had already played the games and I even agree some of the negative ones. However I played the demo and was intrigued enough to want to continue playing.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
I'm not sure that I would've bought BoA without forums of some kind to back it up. I never ended up buying GF3, and I thought at first that the forums had something to do with that, but then I realized that I actually played the demo most of the way through and gave up because I didn't like it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #28
All the negativity over a game can be a good thing, though. I had heard all the complaints about A4, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed when I downloaded the demo. As a result, I haven't trashed it in disgust.

And all the good things I heard about Nethergate made me re-download the demo and try it out again. One of these days, I'm going to have to leave the starting town, though.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #29
Normally the boards have no influence to my decisions, I'm rather immune against any propaganda. I also think that the demos are convincing enough (or not).
:) But for A4 I think I'll comply with Jeff's advice.

edit: <embellish post>

[ Monday, March 06, 2006 02:58: Message edited by: Nathalie.Ashby ]

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #30
The boards indirectly caused me to register several games. If I hadn't been spending so much time on these forums I wouldn't have considered downloading SubTerra demo, or demos of most Geneforge games. It's true that I registered the games because I like the demos, or, in case of Gf3, the previous installments. However, without the forums, I wouldn't have been checking company webpage often enough to download every Geneforge game along with SubTerra, Nethergate and A2.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #31
I had already tried the Exile series and, I believe, Nethergate, before I'd even arrived at the site. Definite long-term favourites. If I ever get longer than fifteen minutes in a day, again, I might even consider completing my set of G's, with the latter two or going for BoE. I did, however, definitely look into the A's, as part of being around this forum.

Overall, though, it was more, having played the demos, I chose which I preferred, rather than any form of "forum pressure".
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #32
I registered the games before I even knew about the forums. You didn't have that as an option.

I started on Exile 3 from a demo in a 1000 Game CD and decided to get the other Exile games because they could run on my Windows PC at the time. When I got a Mac, I loaded the games on to it and tried the Avernum series demos. This led me to buy all the Avernum games at the time, Genforge series, and Nethergate. Someday after Avernum 4 I will run through the Gengorge trilogy while I wait for Genforge 4.

The forums are helping me with questions on what I will play when I start Genforge. It helps to know what will work on Torment mode.

Pages