The Spiderweb Instant Custom Title Generator?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Spiderweb Instant Custom Title Generator?
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #125
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar the Grey:

My point is: An issue that started out privately should be left private.
It didn't start out privately. It started out with Kel and I disagreeing respectfully enough in the course of various topics here, which is entirely par for the course in an online forum. Recently, the increasingly barbed nature of Kel's every comment directed my way caused me to half-jokingly write, "I don't think Kel likes me anymore."

Kel was good enough to notice that I presume, and within a couple of days IM'ed me to say he didn't mean anything by his comments except that he disagrees with so much of what I have been saying. When I asked why it felt like there was more than just disagreement behind the remarks I'd been seeing, he eventually said things which startled and disappointed, and frankly, yeah, hurt me to hear.

On another day, dealing with less stress going on in my life, I would have dealt with it much more coolly and graciously. Maybe I wouldn't even have cared, much like TM's rants and criticisms don't bother me. But either way I would have wanted to talk it out and come to whatever resolution on the matter we could, because I got the sense Kel was angry or highly annoyed with me, and maybe I had done something to personally offend him I should know about.

But Kel said he didn't think we had an issue and didn't want to talk with me about it at all. Therefore, I was not permitted to talk it out privately with him. It was basically a hit and run, which I consider a cowardly thing to do, and it made me a lot more angry than the simple fact that he considers me an idiot. Any human being wants some respect, even in disagreement, and I was shocked to find Kel appeared to have none for me.

I didn't want to have the pleasure I have enjoyed here at SW tainted by some lingering sense of someone who despises and disrespects me having it in for me around every corner, someone whom till that moment I had thought I had a friendly and respectful relationship with, so I tried the only other thing which I believed had a hope of forcing Kel to face our contention and not ignore it, so we could get it over with.

I agree, it's really quite inappropriate to drag things into the open for its own sake or inflict it on these boards. I saw no other recourse, and am willing to break rules when more poignant issues of hearts and relationships are on the line. I also hoped we'd reconcile our differences to some resonable degree quickly—which we did. It seems like other people are determined to not let it die, and I don't mean Kel.

But I was sorry to see this morning that Kel considers the whole thing stupid. Disagreements and offenses happen. It's life. It's unfortunate, and plenty about it is always stupid, but that doesn't mean it's not important to address. Most contentions in life seem to revolve around communication issues and misunderstandings anyway, and I will own up to my own ability to misconstrue or over-react.

But to have someone call the fact that something he did or said to upset me is stupid is just a slap in the face after an apology. It belittles my values, even if he doesn't agree with them. I'm done with seeking to extract anything from Kel on the matter and I wish him no ill will.

I apologize to those present who were offended by anything done here. I am not sorry for choosing to do it however. Conserving electrons on a fleeting electronic bulletin board about games is hardly as important as seeking to somehow address grievances between two people in my book. Games are fantasy and trivial. Relationships, even via internet, are something of real life.

Peace.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #126
I'm going to confine myself to addressing one point, which I feel I can't ignore.

quote:
so I tried ... forcing Kel to face our contention and not ignore it
You can't do that.

As an aspiring counsellor you ought to know better. There are situations where it is appropriate and productive to force someone to face something. They are rare, and this was definitely not one of them. It is one thing to be persistent. It is one thing to encourage someone. I'd even say those things are critical. But it is another thing entirely to erode their sense of psychological safety through the use of actual force. Even if you succeed in getting the other person to address what you want addressed, nothing good will come of it. By using force on them, you have made it hard for them to trust you.

As far as I am concerned, this kind of social manipulation, abusing the inherent power of community for a partial end, is appropriate at pretty much the same times that threatening physical force is appropriate.

Who knows -- perhaps Kelandon would have benefitted from a frank and open discussion with you. Perhaps not. You don't know the answer. Frank and open discussions are often a good policy, but they are not panaceas for everything. Kelandon decided, for whatever reason, that he didn't want to continue the one you were having. Attempting to force someone to continue a conversation they want to end, because you think it would be productive, is akin to saying "I know what's good for you better than you do."

You may have been right, who knows. But it's one thing to urge the other person to keep talking, and it's another to use force.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #127
I agree with everything you said, Slartucker. So there's my glaring weakness–my need sometimes to exact from a situation what I feel I need for my own well-being. It's quite selfish. Frequently my "persistence" ultimately works out for the better, despite this, and however messy it gets, obviously sometimes it may not.

Either way, as I continue to "work on my own stuff," I am confident I will continue to less and less frequently hit these moments where something seems so monumentally and immediately important. Like I said, this all hit me at an especially vulnerable moment for me, and I don't care to elaborate on that any more.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #128
Synergy: There are PMs and e-mail. You could have used other means.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #129
quote:
It's quite selfish.
As you train to be a professional counselor, 'selfishness' is not the issue that needs to be addressed. Forcing someone means disrespecting that person's boundaries, using violence is a violation. Your clients should not have to fear that their therapist reinforces and strengthens a pattern, that a lot of them are all too familiar with.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #130
It's over then?

All agree to agree or disagree as you will?

Glad to hear you are training to be a counselor Syn, where had you made that announcement? I only looked at the final page here and didn't see it. Time to go back to the custom titling or is it just time to walk away...

*this message is a service of your local bomb squad*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #131
Social interaction and counseling are very different activities and have very different rules. I would honestly be annoyed with Synergy if he took it upon himself to take on the role of counselor when I'm trying to have a conversation.

—Alorael, who is sure counseling has many lessons to impart on everyday interactions. Not forcing issues can be one of them. Being a counselor all the time had better not be one of them.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #132
I was just talking in general terms -- treating people with respect and giving them freedom is pretty universally relevant. Good luck being a counselor all the time. I think that is a good way to make your head explode.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #133
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

So, what I cannot help but wonder is why you continue to read my posts or this intentionally inane thread and expect anything to affect you otherwise.
I don't have to read your posts to know that they're intellectually bankrupt.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #134
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

Something strikes me as strange about this statement.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #135
Well, at least Synergy tries. TM doesn't.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #136
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar the Grey:

quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

Something strikes me as strange about this statement.

Agreed.

And this topic really, really needs to die, or else it needs to revert to the titling bit.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #137
IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/LdyLourd.jpg)

[ Wednesday, February 15, 2006 19:14: Message edited by: Prometheus ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #138
Both Kelandon and Synergy are wrong. I am right!

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #139
quote:

In no particular order:

Gizmo/Jewels — Sweetest Of The Sweet

I'm finally catching up on some reading but I'm cheating with this thread. Only the first post and part of page six made it to my eyes in the opposite order.

Just wanted to say, Aww, shucks Synergy. So sweet of you to say so.

As for the rest... uh... I really need to do the recycling. Right. Now.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #140
You know, I never realised we had so many members. Just by looking at the first page, I'm surprised.
But you haven't done one for me yet...
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #141
I just noticed, One Resistant Babe ???
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #142
I've got to ask. What's the story behind Drakefyre's proposed title?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #143
quote:
Originally written by The Stew Boy:

You know, I never realised we had so many members. Just by looking at the first page, I'm surprised.
But you haven't done one for me yet...

That's because even members who have several hundred posts sometimes don't make their personality known enough to have people recognize them. Or even more posts than that. Wise Man has more than three thousand posts, but the majority of them are one liners. If we don't count quotes, I'd say almost 100 percent of Wise Man's posts are 3 lines or less.

[ Wednesday, February 15, 2006 20:49: Message edited by: wz. arsenic... ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #144
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

I've got to ask. What's the story behind Drakefyre's proposed title?
Alice in Wonderland reference, of course.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #145
quote:

Ephesos — Deathesos!
Ack... what brought on this change?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #146
quote:
Originally written by wz. arsenic...:

That's because even members who have several hundred posts sometimes don't make their personality known enough to have people recognize them.
Okay, I get it now. Maybe I should post more?
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #147
At least Spiderweb has no (however loosely) associated anonymous boards (that I know of). It's even more fun when you don't know exactly who finds you objectionable.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #148
hmmmm........
hmmmmmmmm......
hm...

ef - I am training to be a psychotherapist. It may be hugely assumptive to expect that how I may behave in my worst moments in the surreal la la land of an online gaming forum is indicative of how I do or would ever treat a client.

Salmon - I didn’t mention it in this thread. I think I mentioned it a couple months back. Thanks for the kind word.

Alo - Even I don’t have it in me to make myself that patronizing and irritating, exluding any irrelevant opinion that TM may feel an irrepressible compulsion to share.

Jewels - Sweet as ever. And not the brain-damaging Aspartame™ sort. Real honey.

Stew Boy - I know thee not. Answer my questions five (previously posed to Spring) and ye too may have hopes of name transmanglification.

Selima - Yes, that’s right. You did decline our lovely Valentine rose. The SICTG™ deemed it technically factual.

Thurly is correct. Drakey, for reasons known wholly only by himself, imposes his Malice in Wonderland fetish upon numerous unsuspecting custom title recipients.

Ephesos - It has something to do with your enthusiastic spell casting style (RETRIBUTION!) fused with your well-known affinity for all things unliving. It also had something to do with the boredom of the SICTG™ the other day. It could be convinced to switch things around for a small, discrete bribe. Some Lithuanian black market vacuum tubes might suffice.

Stew Boy - Sometimes less is more, but I frequently fail to take my own advice, so knock yourself out if it suits you.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #149
quote:

Ah....yessssss...The SICTG™ has investigated the nature of your presence on this planet, Spring, and has decided you are worthy of The Treatment. The SICTG™ informs me, however, that it requires the retrieval of some pertinent data first:

1) Where do you live? The SICTG™ suspects the UK or Australia due to the school uniforms spotted in the profile photo, but is in need of some new vacuum tubes to fully compute the likelihood.

2) What is your relationship to the bevy of lassies in the picture behind you?

3) What is your attitude toward said bevy?

4) What is your favorite color?

5) What is the meaning of life?

Answer these, and the SICTG™ will get back to you promptly with some vulgar derivation of your essence.

1) Australia.
2) Friends
3) Friends
4) Green
5) Monty Python.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:

Pages