The Spiderweb Instant Custom Title Generator?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Spiderweb Instant Custom Title Generator?
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #100
It was I myself and not my recent words being called idiotic:

“I've been trying to imagine a way to call you an idiot without actually saying something cruel. It's not working.”

After all, it’s important to make someone know you think they’re an idiot if you disagree with them, and it’s a logical conclusion that they must be. It’s all the more self-reaffirming for the intellectual superiority of the identifier of idiots. But it isn’t what someone thinks of me that is what bothers me. It’s not being genuine enough to say what you really mean straight out instead of months later when pressed. Tom & I have disagreed on most topics from day one, but I always liked him and respected him and thought we had that kind of mutual friendly jousting regard for each other.

I had to press Tom to tell me what was really going on after his initial less than convincing apology. I’m not saying it wasn’t sincere in some way. I am saying I knew there we more lying beneath it, a sense of simmering resentment or irritation that was not being addressed. And so soon enough it came out that I annoy him with my “stupidity” and my “ass-hatted logic” and am an idiot. I do love it when people finally get real and say what they really think. I’ve been doing that from day one around here.

A difference between Kel and me is that no matter how much I disagree with someone or his logic, I wouldn’t decide to perceive that as a sign of idiocy. I find that a very snobbish view toward one’s fellow man, and an especially ingenerous attitude coming from a place of no uncertain privilege. To me, that’s the same sort of cold and calculating appraisal of other people that can ultimately justify Final Solutions.

I guess commenting on the culture of the west being more head-centered and knowledge-worshipping than valuing other aspects of man’s being or experience amounts to “New Age” buzzwords, but that’s a typical western reaction to any thinking alien to its own knowledge-centric bias. I don’t identify myself as New Age at all, really, but whatever.

That Tom can state that I have ”completely false conceptions” of him again seeks to negate that I have any rational powers of perception, intuition, or conclusion after five months of observation. I find that an oddly absolute statement to make considering I’m pretty sure I’ve never said anywhere much of anything of what I think about Tom, and very little to him personally. He did project a fair number of words into my mouth, however, which I neither confirmed nor denied. How am I to perceive an apology as sincere when this sort of wholly negating attitude of my own faculties is handed to me in the same statement? It’s exceedingly condescending and rings hollow. It’s basically, “Hey, sorry you’re an idiot, dude, and can’t see anything clearly for yourself, but I don’t mean anything by calling to your attention that I have determined that you are one.”

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:07: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #101
One of the things I don't like about the Internet is the inability to have a face-to-face interaction at times like this. Kel and Syn have gotten so far off base from each other. IRL I suspect that a lot of this could be clarified and resolved in a few minutes, but online, where there is a (generally) less nuanced mechanism of communication, it'll never happen.

I'm watching this, and what I'm seeing is that at every turn, both parties unintentionally make a small miscalculation about what the other one meant... and these small miscalculations pile up.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #102
The Internet certainly does allow for very heated arguments. Arguments which are generally rare when one is in the presence of another person.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #103
I tried to talk it out with Tom last night, but he refused to do it. His conclusion was that we don't have a conflict to discuss. In one sense, he's right. His method of regarding fellow human beings renders some hopelessly into the idiot category. There's no way I or anyone else is going to change his conclusion, which isn't important, and now I know the truth how he actually regards me, so there really isn't anything more to do or say. It's a philosophical incompatibility regarding how we value other people, but that was obvious to me from early on.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #104
See, in civilized company, this would all be settled with a good punch-up.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #105
Well then, I lose, because I'm not built for physical domination.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #106
And a stool isn't built for clubbing people in the head. But you can learn to adapt. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #107
Originally by VCH:

quote:
The Internet certainly does allow for very heated arguments. Arguments which are generally rare when one is in the presence of another person.
I disagree. Some of the less heated arguements I have seen have all been online. Arguments in person become heated the moment someone raises their voice. Which is most of the time. Arguments online just last a lot longer and enable the quiet people to have their say, which they don't get when the argument is face-to-face. They're easier to ignore, too.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Fixed quote.

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 14:27: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #108
Synergy: Calm down. I said I'm sorry twice now, and I'll say it again. I'm sorry. I really don't want to get into this with you, and I don't actually think poorly of you.

That's all I really wanted to say, both online and in my last post. And I wasn't suddenly revealing what I've secretly thought of you for months and months or whatever; it just sort of came out wrong. So for the umpteenth time, I'm sorry.

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 15:36: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #109
Thinking an opinion or even a set of beliefs are idiotic is not the same as thinking the opiner or believer is idiotic. This doesn't look like it will be resolved happily, though. Certainly not in a public setting like this.

—Alorael, who would like to request that Ash remove all the words between "pants" and "and" in his signature and replace them with an ellipsis.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #110
I seriously thought everyone here was above this sort of thing, or at least willing to try and sort things out in a civilized manner...

General is starting to sound like a Blades chat, complete with backbiting, naysaying and incoherent arguments.

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 16:35: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #111
Kel, ok, accepted. I'm letting it go.To be open though, I don't know how I can believe you do not think poorly of me. It doesn't really make sense according to everything you've otherwise stated. Of course, plenty of people here may or probably do think poorly of me on one count or another, so why should that start bothering me now, after all.

And I want to make clear that my main intent to bring this here was because I am a meet personal issues head-on kind of man. Confront and get it over with. I wanted to do that privately in the moment, but wasn't given the option or the invitation to further resolve differences. I don't feel good about things at all leaving relationships and issues otherwise buried. Thank you for the response.

P.S. I've been nothing but calm today. It's last night that I was torqued.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #112
Well that's settled I assume. Oh and Ash that is a golden quote you have in your sig. :)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #113
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik *:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

That's a nice gun. Where did you get it?
You're saying this to TM.

For the love of God, do you never learn? :P

Yes. I do learn. As you used a graemlin, I assume you're not annoyed or something. Good. now I hope TM wouldn't shoot me with that gun.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #114
*Reviews the odds placed and lots cast in the last 24 hours*

Oh ye of little faith. It appears no one thought anything worthwhile could come of a confrontation here. Tsk tsk. You gotta trust the process. It's messy. It takes a little time and work, but two people are capable of arriving at a reasonable place. For me, it's just got to be hashed out a bit instead of swept under the rug. Unfinished business and grudges eat at the soul like a cancer (and in fact, harbored anger can be linked to cancer.) I'll go to lengths to avoid it, even if it first has to get uglier before it gets better—like surgery.

Now...who else is worthy of being SICTiGled™ around here?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #115
*looks away*

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #116
Ah....yessssss...The SICTG™ has investigated the nature of your presence on this planet, Spring, and has decided you are worthy of The Treatment. The SICTG™ informs me, however, that it requires the retrieval of some pertinent data first:

1) Where do you live? The SICTG™ suspects the UK or Australia due to the school uniforms spotted in the profile photo, but is in need of some new vacuum tubes to fully compute the likelihood.

2) What is your relationship to the bevy of lassies in the picture behind you?

3) What is your attitude toward said bevy?

4) What is your favorite color?

5) What is the meaning of life?

Answer these, and the SICTG™ will get back to you promptly with some vulgar derivation of your essence.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #117
Holy christing hell.

This topic has actually gotten worse since its inception.

To both kel and synergy- the more either of you post this crap, the more both of you prove that both of you are morons. If you're under the illusion that any of us want to wade through this crap, allow me to disabuse you of this.

Save it for AIM. Or suicide- the choice is yours, I suppose.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #118
TM, you make me laugh. You surely know what the definition of insanity is. So, what I cannot help but wonder is why you continue to read my posts or this intentionally inane thread and expect anything to affect you otherwise.

I can hardly think of a more devoted glutton for punishment. If you want your head to stop hurting, you could always stop hitting it with that hammer any time you like.

Love ya too! One lump or two?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #119
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I seriously thought everyone here was above this sort of thing, or at least willing to try and sort things out in a civilized manner...

General is starting to sound like a Blades chat, complete with backbiting, naysaying and incoherent arguments.

Spiderweb has had worse in years past. Through the nostalgia, it's easy to forget that Spiderweb was basically a flamepit back in 2003. The political debates regularly became shouting matches, and where RPs were concerned, you didn't worry about it dying from inactivity so much as from incessant flaming. Compared to that, we've come a long way.

Take that controversy in July 2003, for example. I don't want to bring it up now, because it is a matter best left buried. For the really curious, the relevant topic IDs are 1034, 1035, 1036, 1043 and 1046 on General, and it might have spilled over into a few contemporary topics. It was bad, it was unnecessary, and considering the ones involved and where and what they are now, utterly out of character.

--

Otherwise, my advice is to let this go. TM might have a point in saying Synergy and Kel shouldn't have brought this matter here in the first place, but now that it is there it should be left alone for them to work it out on their own without community input. Being the brilliant geniuses (plural?) they are, I have faith in their ability to do so without trouble or lasting bitterness.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #120
Aran's right. SW has been much worse from time to time.

TM: Yeah, I thought this whole thing was pretty stupid, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #121
Yeah, I agree. Dealing with our differences in human relationships and addressing perceived offenses is pretty stupid stuff.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #122
No, but duking it out publically on this forum is. In my experience, it is far easier to resolve a conflict through private channels (or rather far harder to maintain a constant level of invective). My theory is that while on the forum, you risk losing face and your reputation, and are therefore compelled to keep on returning the banter and giving as good as you get, rather than backing down and giving ground.

I question whether the decision to publicize the issue was beneficial. This is not an endorsement or accusation against anyone and in fact it is no judgement of the conflict itself, which I feel is none of my business.

A few months ago, our in-house mailing list at my workplace became the site of a showdown between a Microsoft and an Open Source geek. It was entertaining, but also quite disturbing to see two co-workers publically lambasting each other for all their colleagues to see. I don't know them closely, but I figure they had some trouble passing each other (or others who followed the debate) in the corridors for a few days after that. And rightfully so.

My point is: An issue that started out privately should be left private.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #123
On the other hand, this conflict has definitely increased my respect for some of the bystanders. Aran, you're beginning to remind me of Marcus Andronicus.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #124
A good flamefest often adds interest to a boring topic.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link

Pages