Terror's Martyr

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Terror's Martyr
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #50
That's quite enough from all of you. Make nice.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:

Jerk, I have Aspergers Syndrome.
I read about that... Do you really have it? Really?

And please, just don't start attacking each other, Okay?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #52
People who go around claiming IM TEH SMART3ST!!1! invite a challenge. Humility is a vital component of civility.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

Hell, I'd smack you right now if we happened to be in the same room.
Hey look! Look everybody! It's Stuggie! Yay!

As for TM, I honestly haven't put much thought into his banning, or his return. Which goes to show that despite him knocking out BoX scenarios 'til the cows come home, he ain't vital to the boards survival. Which is much as the same as AA and others answers.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #54
This is a demonstration of multiple intelligences. Some kinds make you get good grades, earn you Nobel prizes, get you lucrative patents for your work, and allow you to write the Great <insert state or nationality here> Novel.

Another critical kind of intelligence gets you lucrative patents and possibly good grades from others' work.

Yet another kind of intelligence keeps you from getting roughed up every now and then over the first or second kinds.

—Alorael, who has all three of these and more besides.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #55
Theoretically, the third should also prevent people from posting threads like this. However, in the absence of natural predators, this kind of intelligence is no longer a survival trait. They all left... :(

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #56
To anyone who was irked about Eagle's comments: learn a little about Aspbergers Syndrome and you might understand why he said that he is twice as intelligent as his former friends.

There are two ways you could interpret this: it entirely possible that his so-called friends are complete and utter idiots - simply picking on the smarter kids. This very easily taints your view, and making an unbiased analysis of exactly how much smarter than they are would be nigh on impossible.

It is also entirely possible that he is twice as smart as his so-called friends.

A little info on Aspbergers Syndrome - taken from my personal experience and from talking with various psychiatrists and psychologists:

Aspbergers Syndrome is part of the Autism disorder, but at the very mild end of the spectrum. People with Aspbergers Syndrome tend to be eccentric, socially awkward, and highly intelligent. They usually end up with a small selection of interests at which they absolutely excell. A lot of people with Aspbergers Syndrome lack empathy in many cases - often allowing them to be coldly analytical in those cases where than simply cannot empathise with another person's point of view.

[ Thursday, October 06, 2005 21:32: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu's The Fart of War
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #57
I so agree with the second. I love "riders".Ffnd someone that finds the material easy then copy their work. At the very least your actual work is boosted by theirs. Let's all share.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #58
My cousins' girlfriends' brother has Aspergers. He seems nice enough, a bit odd at times. But at other times when you disagree with him or otherwise anger him, he goes completely ballistic. He doesn't vocally proclaim his superior intelligence, but he makes it pretty obvious that he thinks he is better than everyone else.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #59
quote:
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:
I don't believe that gives you an excuse to be an abrasive, pompous ass. Hell, I'd smack you right now if we happened to be in the same room.

I love you

[ Thursday, October 06, 2005 22:20: Message edited by: Poit ]

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

A little info on Aspbergers Syndrome - taken from my personal experience and from talking with various psychiatrists and psychologists:

Aspbergers Syndrome is part of the Autism disorder, but at the very mild end of the spectrum. People with Aspbergers Syndrome tend to be eccentric, socially awkward, and highly intelligent. They usually end up with a small selection of interests at which they absolutely excell. A lot of people with Aspbergers Syndrome lack empathy in many cases - often allowing them to be coldly analytical in those cases where than simply cannot empathise with another person's point of view.

Finally someone who actually understands me! Yeah, I am an expert in my interests and since my interests are so vast that it extends to everything, I simply am good at everything. English, philosophy, medicine, history, civics and other theoretical subjects are mostly my favourites and I got A:s and B:s in all those subjects.

As for my friends, none of them were remarkably clever and I always had twice as much in scores, ranks and in general I was always right when it came to coldly analysing stuff. However, I had problems with my social life since I could not understand how other people thinks. That problem has decreased with time, though. Most of my old problems are today non-existant. However, I tend to be coldly analytical and honest. I never lie to people because I can not.

My pompous style comes, obviously, from my growth. I was always best in everything and I work hard to stay so. This, I have seen, combined with my honesty and cold analytical view, has caused to offend people and made me look like a cold, pompous, superstitious pedant. But when I state something (without deliberately sounding sarcastic), I have usually a good reason to why I stated that something.

My, I can not belive I have been here for half a year without explaining this...

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #61
quote:

I don't think it matters. I was making a point that you said the same thing three times. If you thought that I was insinuating something else, I apologize. I know what Aspergers is, so I don't think stating that after I made a — in search of a better word — humourous observation. Once again, I apologize.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #62
O, it really does matter, Johno.

When you have Aspergers Syndrome, you really ARE far more intelligent. I won't repeat everything, cause it was already said twice or so.

I myself find Aspergers Syndrome quite an interesting disease, if I might cal it like that. Did anybody here ever read The curious incident of the dog in the night-time ? Its a sad story written by Mark Haddon. Its about this boy who has Aspergers Syndrome. It really lets you see how such a person thinks and does things. And really, this boy was VERY intelligent, but didn't have the right social skills. And now don't say this Mark Haddon doesn't know anything about the topic, because he works with these people himself. Its probably the only book I had to read in one go. It was so.... so.... I really can't express how I felt. But I understand your thinking Eagle.

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 01:44: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #63
*sigh* No, it doesn't. Not in this case. I was making a joke. Intelligence is not really important in a joke.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Johnno:

*sigh* No, it doesn't. Not in this case. I was making a joke. Intelligence is not really important in a joke.
Then I probably don't understand your point. Oh well. I don't care actually. Maybe we should return to the subject?

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #65
I was going to describe this as a car wreck, but train or bus seems more fitting. One of the best things a person can learn is when to hold their tongue.

*this message sponsored by the silent majority*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
When you have Aspergers Syndrome, you really ARE far more intelligent. I won't repeat everything, cause it was already said twice or so.
Wrong.

Rather than try to go through all the other misconceptions, here's the wikipedia article on Asperger's Syndrome.

Note that it states that Asperger's is often paired with high non-social intelligence, but nowhere does it state that it either causes or requires it. It also notes that self-diagnosis is highly inaccurate.

This lists the official diagnostic criteria.

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 01:33: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written on Wikipedia:
Another theory states that Asperger's correlates to the INTJ personality type...
This explains the many similarities I found in the discription to myself. Reading about Asperger's before (and reading about it now) I had wondered if I had it from the many descriptions that do fit me, but didn't quite think so because the parts that don't apply seem to be key.

It seems likely that I simply had a somewhat parallel developmental path.

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 06:45: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #68
There is a belief (how widespread or credible I can't judge) that disorders like Asperger's, Attention Deficit and Bipolarity are diagnosed (and even treated with medication) more often than they actually are a disabling factor. As the article states, "geekiness" (low social/emotional intelligence coupled with high rational intelligence) is not the same as autism.

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 07:33: Message edited by: Atrus ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #69
I have never heard anyone trying to medically "cure" people with the retardation that Asperger Syndrome is. However, since Bipolar Disorder, which my dearest Christina was born with, is caused by a disorder in the brain that causes a state similiar to the one caused by use of cannabis you can treat Bipolar Disorder with Lithium. I do not know much about the treatment but it works as a stabiliser.

Asperger Syndrome is though a retardation that causes the person to have high logical intelligence but low emotional intelligence and lack of perception. AS is not a disease, it is not a mental disorder like Bipolar Disorder, it is a milder neuropsychiatric retardation.

Grown-up people with AS mostly experience very few of the draw-backs of AS since they have mellowed out and improved their perception and emotional intelligence. The majority of known "Aspergers" are men. That is due to differences between the sex. Symptoms on men with AS are clearer than those on women. AS is mostly diagnosed in young age, but there have been some adults that has been diagnosed with it.

People with AS almost always have a "specialexpertice" or a strong interest for a fixed subject. In my case it is personal developement, philosophy and languages; in the case of Jonathan, one of my classmates, it is politics and philosophy. We with AS are likely to learn and expertise ourselves in our special interest, as for instance english. I love english, I study every day and therefore, I gain perfect grades (116/118 on last test :D ).

In case you did not know, I live in a dormitory with six other classmates, divided in three departments. All the lads I live with are examples of AS "victims". For instance, Björk in the SN04 class, whenever he tells a joke, he always add a "du-du-doom-doom-dish", an onomatopoetic (audio-imitation) noise of a drum snare. My classmates are also likely to repeat the same joke or discuss the same subject as they already have done before. This is because people with AS have repetive thoughts, they come again.

Brain analytics have shown that there is a difference in the brain structure between a person with AS and one without. A person with AS got a brain that is structured vertically like the inside of a piano. That makes a brain that can store lots of things but "scans" slowly. A regular person without AS has a brain structured horisontally, like waves. That makes a brain that is less suitable for large storeage but instead "scans" quickly. This practically-based theory is supported on computer harddrive experiments. Computers with the storeage units placed vertically, like in a match-box, could store much more but took longer time to find a specific file. The horisontal harddrive could store less but could easier find a specific file. This is because the vertical is less "sharp", the files are less readable while the horisontal was "sharp" and could read files without problems. How this affects the person, I do not know, but I suppose it could explain why I have a memory like an elephant but not how I can remember everything so clearly.

End of class! You will have to read pages number 117 to 123 in the text book as homework. See you next Tuesday... just kidding. ;)

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #70
I have a brother with full-blown Autism (to the point where he can't talk), so I know a bit about the subject.

I'm afraid it doesn't lead me to see Eagle in a more charitable light.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #71
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

I'm afraid it doesn't lead me to see Eagle in a more charitable light.
I doubt he wants charity. Though the money always comes in handy.

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 16:30: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #72
Stug...That right there is the best thing I've seen on these forums in a long time. It's guys like you that make this forum worth visiting.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #73
Eagle, I wish you would at least attempt to look like you know what you're talking about. I'm going to assume that the "retardation" comment was due to lack of understanding of what "retardation" actually means. The rest is clearly just plain ignorance.

----------------------------------------------

1. There are a few groups trying to cure autism (which includes Asperger's (pronounced "asp-AIR-gerz", if you want to pronounce it like Hans Asperger did) Syndrome, although those groups pretend it does not, except in specific cases where an aspie is supporting them). Aspies For Freedom is an organization that opposes the search for a cure, for reasons which can be found on their website. More info on AFF later in the post.

2. Asperger's Syndrome does not imply high intelligence. This is a common misconception. All it implies is difficulty with neurotypical social skills, a preference for orderly things, and (usually) self-stimulation, such as hand flapping, foot tapping, arm waving, repeating words or phrases, or similar repetitive behavior.

3. Lithium is rarely used to treat bipolar disorder, and there's very little evidence that it actually does anything to affect the disorder.

4. "Low emotional intelligence" is a phrase that is bandied about often when people talk about autism, but it is deceptive. Autistic people are usually quite in touch with their own emotions, and are quite capable of understanding others emotions, assuming the other person directly tells them how they are feeling. The problem arises when an autie is expected to judge someone else's emotions based on their facial expression and body language, which auties have difficulty doing. We also have difficulty showing our own emotions through body language and with expressing our emotions verbally, which leads many people to believe that we do not feel them, which is not true.

5. You are correct that autistic people have different brain structures than neurotypicals. However, your description is utter nonsense. Shaped like a vertical piano? WTF

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, about Aspies For Freedom.

We are an organization dedicated to opposing a cure for autism, for several reasons, including but not limited to

1. We believe that autism is not necessarily a disorder that needs to be cured. We simply have a different way of thinking and behaving. Curebies look at us and assume we must be miserable just because they can't understand us, even though a good deal (I won't say "all" because it obviously does have it's bad points, especially toward the lower-functioning end of the spectrum) of our problems are caused by the lack of respect and understanding on the part of neurotypicals. Many of us like the way we are, because although autism has bad points, it certainly has good points as well, and if a cure is found, we will be pressured to make ourselves "normal". People will say "Well, you're diseased and there's a cure available, but you don't want the cure, so you'll have to live with the consequences" and use that as an excuse to shun and abuse us.

2. Any money going toward finding a cure (which may not even be possible) cannot go toward research for autistic-friendly therapy - the simple economic principle of opportunity cost.

Note that while we are against a cure, we are fully in favor of autistic-friendly therapy, such as speech therapy, and modified diets (in the case of food intolerances, which are common in autistic people, the effects of which may make symptoms much worse, as in the case of Donna Williams, a leading autism researcher. There was some correspondence with Ms. Williams which is available in the AFF Library).

However, these are not always easily available, and when they are, the parents of autistic children are not always aware of them, and resort to such things as chelation, which is causing heavy metals to enter the body, through injection, ingestion, skin rubs, etc. to attract pre-existing heavy metals into clusters, which can then be excreted. It is believed by some people that autism is caused by mercury poisoning, and this idea is pushed by such organizations as Generation Rescue. The thing is, the symptoms of mercury poisoning and those of autism are not similar at all, and there's no evidence at all that it works, except for statements by chelation doctors claiming that thousands have been cured, without citing any studies to that effect. Also, chelation has been approved by the FDA only for treatment of severe lead poisoning. One child has died from chelation attempting to cure autism already.

Also, people use aversives to make autistic people act "normal". It's disgusting what people can do to autistics. For instance, the Judge Rotenberg Center in Canton, Massachusetts, punishes "antisocial behavior" (which, of course, all autistic people exhibit), self-stimulation, or even just staring at objects, with electric shocks, starvation, and forcing residents to inhale ammonia fumes or ingest jalapeno peppers. You can't even treat prisoners like that. The only reason it can be done to these low-functioning autistic people is because they can't defend themselves.

Here are two links about the Judge Rotenberg Center:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/ag/ag/yr05/documents/may05w26.doc - As you can see, that is a document from the California Department of Education. It explains its reasons for denying the JRC's request to allow it to use shocks and starvation on a boy from San Diego, whose mother wanted to send her son to the JRC. Honestly, the boy exhibits self-injurious behavior, so their idea of "therapy" is to injure him even more? It's illogical and it's cruel!

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=625&sid=5e30c65bbd4796eb cf3d5c2b59931c48 - This thread from AFF's message board includes an article on the death of a woman at the JRC due to abuse. It also includes RobH's account of his own abuse and mistreatment, the kind of which is unfortunately all too common against autistic people. I haven't read past the first page, but there's probably more personal accounts in there. I know there are more throughout the rest of the message board.

Anyway, Aspies For Freedom's URL is http://www.aspiesforfreedom.org . We've recieved letters of support from Simon Baron-Cohen, Tony Attwood, and Donna Williams, three leading autism researchers. Donna Williams is also a member of our online community.

If you can help out our cause at all, we would be very grateful.

Another website worth reading is www.gettingthetruthout.org . It is run by a low-functioning autistic woman. The first eight pages are set up to seem like a pro-cure site of the type created by such organizations as the Autism Society of America, showing pictures of herself being her autistic self and the descriptions such a pro-cure site would give of them. Then she shows them again and tells what they mean to her. She gives scenarios of what it's like to be on various points on the autism spectrum. She also argues against a cure, even though she cannot speak and can only communicate with a talking picture board or typewriter. It's a great site, although it's kind of a lot of reading.

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 17:58: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
Alexandria - The Blades of Exile Scenario database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
Polaris - Free porn here
Odd Todd - Fun for the unemployed (and everyone else too)
Famous Last Words - A local pop-punk band
They Might Be Giants - Four websites for one of the greatest bands in existance
--------------------
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #74
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

Stug...That right there is the best thing I've seen on these forums in a long time. It's guys like you that make this forum worth visiting.
Thanks... but if this is an attempt to get me to stick around, you might have to try a bit harder. :P

Seeing as how well that snappy remark went over with the populace, though, I might have to drop by every once in a while just to deliver 'em.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.

Pages