RPGs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: RPGs
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #0
Okay, I'm kinda new around here and I bet this probably has been done too many times, but what's your favorite RPG series? I like the Final Fantasy and Chrono RPG games.

Oh, and has anyone ever heard or played an old RPG series called Lufia by any chance?

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Favorite RPG series? Avernum... duh.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
The Elder Scrolls are very nice. I also enjoy the occasional Forgotten Realms game.

But nothing compares to the Ultima reign.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #3
The Lufia series was good.... if grim as hell. I had some issues with its gameplay and controls though. They were both jerky and repetitive.

The Final Fantasy series was also well worth your money. Well, some of its component games were. Four through six were great. All the earlier ones suffered crippling gameplay problems. All the later ones just don't have an appealing story or characters to me.

Chrono Trigger really was the pinnacle of the SNES era though. And that is saying something as videogames never did recover after we abandoned that system. The only problem with Chrono Trigger was that it was short. You could blow through that game in no time.

Alas, nobody has bothered to make a good remake or sequel of Chrono Trigger. The whole Chrono Cross thing sucked dead air, never coming close to its progenitor's brilliance. It's plot was muddled, it had a billion characters without most being explored in depth, and the whole element thingie needs to be carved out of existence. Alas, Square-Enix (now to eternally be known as Squeenix) squashes any amature work that comes close to doing the series justice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #4
I'd have to say Avernum 2 (not trying to suck up or anything) and then it'd be Morrowind (that game was brilliant)and after that probably Diablo 2.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Blades of Avernum is nice. So is Albion. So is ADOM, and most Ascii-games. However, the RPG's I like most are play-by-post RP's. There is little that is more fun than writing.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Apprentice
Member # 5666
Profile #6
Betrayal at Krondor

Best - RPG - EVER

and two I presume to be good since Krondor was, but haven't yet aquired :(

Betrayal at Antara
Return to Krondor

--------------------
"I died. Give me a lot of money." -Guybrush Threepwood

\m/(O_o)\m/
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #7
Betrayal at Antara was okay, but it was not exactly the most astounding RPG I'd ever played. Eh, maybe it's just that I've not played it in a really long time.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Captain Ackers:

Betrayal at Krondor

Best - RPG - EVER

Absolutely!

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Apprentice
Member # 6087
Profile #9
My vote is cast for Geneforge.

--------------------
I want...to kill...myself
I want...to hang...myself
I want...her to see...me die
And to know...that she...has killed me.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
I really enjoyed the Icewind Dale series of Infinity Engine games. Though it had its bugs, I thought the engine was the best out there for implementing D&D rules, and I liked building my own party better than BG's pre-made NPCs.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #11
Fallout.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #12
Ye olde pencil & paper Dungeons and Dragons. So it's owned by Wizards of the Coast now? A minor detail. Nothing beats a night of roleplaying and creature slaying with a group of close friends. That being said, Neverwinter Nights is about as true to actual D&D (and the Forgotten Realms campaign setting) as a computer game can get.

FR forever.

Oh, and Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals was awesome, but frustrating. Natsume makes some great games. Harvest Moon anyone? ;)

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 05:42: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #13
Lufia 2 was the prequel to Lufia 1, right? Cuz I played Lufia 1 one time and it started out in the final fortress of Lufia 2.

Oh and I think they made a Lufia game for GBC and GBA as well.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #14
The gameboy Lufia wasn't so hot - all of the dungeons were randomized, so there weren't any specific puzzles or character to them, which I thought was pretty lame. In addition, the PC controlled nine characters (three of whom could fight at a time) with almost no personality, which I think lent the game all the pains of micromanagement without any of the payoff.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 06:53: Message edited by: Drew ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #15
Was the Game Boy Advance Lufia any good by any chance?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #16
The only RPGs I've really played are SW games, as many of the others are too much hack and slash for my taste.

There was this one game I used to play (on Mac) when I was very young. I'll try to remember it, incase this is coherent enough for anyone to know what I'm talking about. This is really vague, but it was too long ago to really remember anything.

The graphics were similar to Exile, as well as the way you control the PC. When you enter the first town you see bridge over water, which surrounds the town (it was like a keep, but I don't remember any officials.) There were guards with black masks standing around ready to attack if you bothered a townsperson, and they would come after you for stealing or killing someone. The town had stone walls and red carpets. There were shops and dialogue, and a story that I was too little to really care about. I went out a back door and found a boat; I also found skeletons and green things that I was unable to fight. Since I wasn't very good at the game I found it fun to attack a guard and run back to my boat. They would all come after me, but I could reach them and they couldn't reach me. I guess I gained levels this way, but it did make the town hostile.

I'd really like to remember what this was, but I can't. It was very likely shareware or freeware.

Edit: sp

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 08:36: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #17
Maybe that was TaskMaker or something similar. I recall men in black masks in TaskMaker, along with red carpets and stone walls.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 07:31: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #18
Final Fantasy VII

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

Maybe that was TaskMaker or something similar. I recall men in black masks in TaskMaker, along with red carpets and stone walls.
I think that might be it. The most useful site google came up with was this one :P

I couldn't get the download to work, but I've been wondering what that was for a long time, thank you :)

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Sounds a little bit like Ultima 3, too, although the guards have things that more closely resemble buckets on their heads.

—Alorael, who will point out the somewhat obscure game Summoner as an RPG of minor note. It is in most ways unimpressive, but the city feels more like a city than any other RPG city. If only the walls would stop disappearing into strange backdrops.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 313
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Favorite RPG series? Avernum... duh.

--------------------
finally, a superhero we can trust...
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #22
In this order, give-or-take:

Blades of Exile
Final Fantasy VII
ChronoTrigger
Fallout 2
Fire Emblem: Rising Sun
Treasure of the Rudras
Fallout
Nethergate
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem: Sealed Sword
Final Fantasy IV
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
Blades of Avernum
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Avernum 2
Exile
Exile 3
Avernum 3
Exile 2
New Centurions
Realmz
Avernum
King's Bounty
Geneforge
Geneforge 3
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy I
Geneforge 2

A few comments:

ChronoTrigger is, despite being one of my absolute favorites, overrated. When I first heard this, I did not believe it. Then, I found out how much it was hyped. Yeah... It's not that good.

Lufia is not grim. When Maxim and his gal die at the end, it's like watching two stuffed animals being disposed of at the dump. For the entirety of the game up to that point, nobody dies, and they're all 6-year-old-anime cute stereotypes.

FF4 is preferable to FF5 only because of the abusively poor plot FF5 has. Let it be said that FF5's "system" is infinitely superior.

Did You Know- Thracia 776 was the last game released for the SNES.

Treasure of the Rudras is, unfortunately, not available in the US. Fansubs are available online, though.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #23
I see you have a lot of favorite RPG games. Wasn't expecting a list, but it seems that about half of those games appear to be FF games.

FF games pretty much are the "popular" and "RPG of choice" for a lot of gamers. I have nothing against FF games, in fact, I love the majority of them...especially FF VII, well minus it's outdated graphics.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned any Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest games. I guess it's cuz the gameplay in those games were all outdated and evey command had to be manually executed. They are the supposed "father of RPGs"...or was it Dungeons & Dragons? I dunno.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
Blades of Exile. I haven't dabbled with many other RPGs, as I like sport simulation games better. And Age of Empires.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages