RPGs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: RPGs
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #25
I stumbled across a very odd action RPG on SNES back around '96. My father brought it home from Europe after he was there with the airforce. The game was known as Terranigma.

Very strange... but also of the highest quality possible with SNES. The thing was that it was grim and constantly made you wonder if what you were doing was right.

I am wondering if any of you have tried out that game at any time in your lives and, if so, what reactions have you had to it. Most of you probably never even heard of id because it was never released in the states.

Its mood is a big reason I am so into Spidweb games nowadays.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Frankie Vallium:

In this order, give-or-take:

Exile
Exile 3
Avernum 3
Exile 2
New Centurions
Realmz

Avernum

[/QB]
I add emphasis and question.

—Alorael, who will add another not to be missed RPG (kind of). If you have missed the joys of Progress Quest, you have missed a moment of true RPG satori.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Hectonkhyres:

I stumbled across a very odd action RPG on SNES back around '96. My father brought it home from Europe after he was there with the airforce. The game was known as Terranigma.

I am wondering if any of you have tried out that game at any time in your lives and, if so, what reactions have you had to it. Most of you probably never even heard of id because it was never released in the states.

Oh yeah. It may well be the best thing Enix ever made for SNES, with the possible exception of Actraiser (which isn't really an RPG).

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #28
The Fallout games would have to be my favourite RPG series. Probably Icewind Dale would come next, but whilst I liked the setting and the engine, its over-reliance on combat instead of atmosphere hurt it in comparison to the Baldur's Gate games.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Unpleasantness for its Own Sake:

The Fallout games would have to be my favourite RPG series. Probably Icewind Dale would come next, but whilst I liked the setting and the engine, its over-reliance on combat instead of atmosphere hurt it in comparison to the Baldur's Gate games.
I agree with you on the atmosphere (or lack thereof) for Icewind Dale. I guess for me what made IWD I&II better was the fact that they didn't take themselves so seriously. Well, that, and the fact that Bioware is a bunch of wankers, but that has more to do with knowing some of the guys at the now-defunct Black Isle studios than anything else. Just remember - they're the ones who came up with Planescape: Torment!

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 05:28: Message edited by: Drew ]
Apprentice
Member # 5997
Profile #30
Early Final Fantasies. such great storylines! well i thought that anyway..

--------------------
Ancient Slavornan Proverb:
It is the agile cat which farts in the fish tank...
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #31
These are Jeff Vogel's favourites (quote): "I still play a lot of Everquest. I'm really into World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto too."

Myself I never played other RPGs than the Avernum series. Well, I tried a few demos, mostly Spiderweb games though.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #32
Well I was stearing away from MMO's, but yes, I love World of Warcraft and have superior memories from Ultima Online.

Ever-crack never did it for me.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #33
Still have an active account with Ultima Online... though I only get online a couple of times every weekend.

And I countinue my neverending quest to rid the world of tamers and their abominations.
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #34
I havnt played that many rpg's, but Avernum 2 would have to be my favourite, the rest of the series coming after it (I dunno why I get so addicted to those games, userly about half way through), I also play the mmorpg Tibia. I got morrowind, its alright but im not really drawn into it, userly get bored after 10 minutes and quit. The only FF game I have is FF8 (its my brothers) its ok except for a stupid plot, altough it pales in comparison to Vagrant Story which is also made by square.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #35
I'd say Exile 2 / Avernum 2. I love the whole world at war thing. I also love the Ultima games. And there was a freeware RPG I played a while back - The Night's Chill. The graphics sucked, but the rest of it (plot, npc development etc.) was quite good.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #36
For the first time in longer than I can remember, I have three weeks or so coming up with little enough to do that I can afford to spend a few hours each day gaming. Oh, I've got to arrange a transatlantic move, and it would be good to write a physics paper or three and pump up my German. But I've decided I need a break, so I'm going to do something pointless a fair bit of the time. HBP should arrive a bit later today courtesy of Amazon, but it won't last past Monday at the latest. So I'm looking at getting some new game, strategy or RPG, for Mac OS 10.4 (700 MHz G4 iMac, with 512M RAM -- so latest high end graphics may be pushing it a bit too much).

Right now I'm leaning towards Neverwinter Nights. I've looked again at Avernum, but ... sigh. The graphic level of Geneforge is fine for me, but Avernum has tiny little figures bipping across the sketchy landscape, and it just takes too much effort to get into it. I did sort of get into VoDT in the BoA demo, so I expect Avernum might interest me if I gave the plot a while to get going; but for the next three weeks I want a bit more chocolaty coating, I think. The NWN graphics are a tad chunky, but they're good enough to look cool.

I've thought about Warcraft 3, but I don't want that much micromanagement. I liked Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3, but I've heard such disappointing things about HOMM4 that I think I'll pass on it.

Any other suggestions or advice?

[ Saturday, July 16, 2005 03:36: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #37
I was tempted to list WC3, but it's not technically an RPG.
(As for my list? I stop enjoying them somewhere around A2/E1. I just prefer Realmz to, say, Geneforge.)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6044
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Grape Slime:

—Alorael, who will add another not to be missed RPG (kind of). If you have missed the joys of Progress Quest, you have missed a moment of true RPG satori.[/QB]
Progress Quest is the worst game I have ever played. Well I can't really say I played it because you don't DO anything. You sit and watch progress bars move and then you level up. Pretty boring if you ask m........ (loud snoring sound)

--------------------
Go to my website at stuff://stuff.stuff.stuff/stuff/stuff.stuff
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #39
Progress Quest is a game that exists to make a point. It's immensely good at it, too. It also happens to be absurdly fun to play PQ, sort of like watching a defragmenter. If you don't find it fun, you've obviously not unlocked 3D mode yet.

Personally, I have a great liking for ADOM, a slightly less one for other such games (eg. Nethack, Linley's Dungeon Crawl). The Fallout series, the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape: Torment are also good.

I detest Final Fantasy. All of them. Especially Tactics.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Apprentice
Member # 6044
Profile #40
how do you unlock 3D mode?

--------------------
Go to my website at stuff://stuff.stuff.stuff/stuff/stuff.stuff
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #41
I like Jeff's games because they are cheap and you can get a lot of replay value out of them. I don't like to spend a lot of money on anything. You buy Blades of Avernum-- and you get four adventures, plus all of the extra scenarios. I liked Geneforge 3 a lot. Once again plenty of replay value.

I liked Fallout 2 but not Fallout 1. I also liked Arcanum-- a very good game which should be in the bargain bins by now. I think I spent $5.00 to get the fallout bundle and $10.00 for Arcanum. I had to stop playing Age of Wonders Shadow Magic because it hooked me in too much. It was a great game, a little bit too absorbing.

A great time waster is http://www.kingdomofloathing.com . It is good for about a week then it gets a bit stale. But, it is free and kind of funny.

The word free is best. I haven't really found anything lately for free that is really good.

I played Starships Unlimited, a 4x space strategy game from http://www.apezone.com . It was fun for a bit.

I like to hear about good free games. Let me see, what else. That is it.

I tried out Neverwinter Knights-- I found it to be too clunky. I didn't like it. It seems a bit contrived, the system is not integrated enough. It feels unpolished.

This is a listing of the top rated games from rpgdot.com . There are a lot of games with higher ratings than Neverwinter Nights. It is worth looking at.

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10070&sid=dceb1faffc4434f482b4e488d017377b

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 05:40: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by Timber-Wolf:

I got morrowind, its alright but im not really drawn into it, userly get bored after 10 minutes and quit
Yea, that happened to me when I first got it. Just leave it for a while and then go back to it and it will draw you in and you will begin to love it. Thats what happened with me, I began taking days off of school to play it. It was really addictive when I got into it but I couldnt play it once I beat the main mission as it bored me. I have once again began to play it and it has drawn me in once more so chances are school wont be seeing me for a while. Also FFVIII is probably my favourite one of them. It was great fun although I only got most of the way through the third disk. I loved the cutscenes and that card game was great. Also the plot wasnt that bad and was enough to draw me in eventually.
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #43
SimBrick. If you know what I'm talking about, which I doubt, then you will get the joke.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #44
FFVIII is a good game, except that the Junction system used to develop your characters took an excessive amount of time. You had to keep drawing out magical spells from enemies until they were real close to maxing out to get anything good out of them. Other than picking up the draw spells from "The Island Closest To Hell" & "Heaven", the system was a bit annoying, but good cutscenes nonetheless.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Hectonkhyres:

SimBrick. If you know what I'm talking about, which I doubt, then you will get the joke.
It's too deterministic to be fun. Half the time your choices don't have any practical effect.

—Alorael, who will not bother to contrast this with Progress Quest.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3457
Profile #46
I didn't mind one called Mordor (has anyone heard of it) I found it on a shareware cd years ago but the Diablo series, the Baldurs Gate series with NWN as the sequal, Avernum series, a lot of the Final Fantasys (Especially FFX and FFII) and the Geneforge series are probally my favourites. I've had Lucifer III on my computer for ages but I haven't yet played it. Even though WC3FT isn't a RPG it is still good.

--------------------
Who I am makes no difference but it is what I say and do that counts (mabey???)
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #47
I like SimStapler. And Jared.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5946
Profile Homepage #48
Well, the RPG-7 is pretty good for most purposes, but the PG-7VR is gaining ground.

Oh wait.

Well, it's a hard run thing.

For slickness, Chrono Trigger. Everything just works, and works well.
For the combat, Exile 3. (Far, far more tactical than Avernum or Geneforge, and not being too tedious in the long term. Area effect/barrier spells rock.)
For the dialogue, Planescape Torment (currently playing) is going very well. Nice, convincing characters, and interesting backstory.
For immersive game-world, Fallout / Fallout 2.
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #49
*plays Ultima Online on Europa shard*
*loves*

--------------------
I am a pale shadow of the previous self.
quote:

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!

Pages