How to raise money?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How to raise money?
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #0
Okay guys I am trying to raise $3,000 for a trip to europe in june. So I need your help on how to raise money. As I am only a young 15 I don't have a job so thats of no help. My parents will help but they're not going to just hand me 3,000 bucks. So how can I make some money?
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
Wait... you want 3000 bucks don't wanna get a job?

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4987
Profile Homepage #2
Being 15 I don't think he legally can get a job (i'm not sure though) anyways heres what you do. Get on the computer and print out a flyer that says 10 EASY WAYS TO MAKE MONEY for a title. Then underneath it put send 2$ to (insert your address here) and then when their money arrives send them back a letter that says.
1. Get a job
2. Keep a job
3. Beg people for extra spending money (but tell them it's for food)
4. some others, dont really care what
10. Get everyone to send you 2$

BTW: this will probably never work.
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #3
Really the best way to raise the money is to get a casual job somewhere small. I don't know about where you are if you can, but it would be the quickest less self-sacrificial way to get the money.

If a job's not an option then there are a few things you could do, but it probably wouldn't raise all the money.

+ Garage sale: If you can find a few things that you're willing to part with. Maybe some old toys or books. You could even ask your parents if they had any old things they'd be willing to donate to the cause.

+ Busking: This one's really difficult. For the most part you need to have some kind of talent at something, singing, playing an instrument, magic tricks etc. Something that'll entertain, and get you some money for it (though granted you might not get enough money for it to be woth the effort.)

+ Walk the neighbourhood dogs: Dodgy. But if you like dogs then i guess that could be a good thing. Just pass a few flyers around in mailboxes to do the trick.

+ Radio competitions: This one's also a bit far fetched, but possible. Radios almost always have quick-cash type competitions that are actually possible to win. If you can get through the phonelines.

+ Sign up to be an extra: for an add or movie. I don't know if they have them in your country, but it's possible to get quick cash fast.

+ Surveys: If you can get your hands on actual paper surveys. Internet surveys i hear are risky, but my sister actually won $100 once. (i wouldn't reccommend them)As for paper surveys, just go through about 150 pages and you'll get about $20.

I can't think of anything else, but most of these ideas are really quite dodgy. The best advice i could give you as a working 15 year old myself is to get a casual job. If not holiday work would be best if possible.

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I've heard rumors about people actually doing that and succeeding. Might be urban myths though. The thing about it is that anyone who *does* fall for it will see little point in suing, because the legal support and fees would cost a hundred times that. :P And you know people still fall for Nigerian scams, no matter how widely known they are and how badly they're done...

Next idea: Get a dead donkey. Set up a raffle for 2$ tickets, with the donkey being the first prize. Sell 100 tickets. Then find the one guy who won, and tell him "Sorry, I'm afraid the donkey has died. Here are your 2§ back." :P

Edit: Seriously though, I don't know what the laws in the US exactly are on underage employment, but over here I've been able to mow my Grandma's lawn and stuff for some extra pocket money (at 15); it wouldn't have been much of an issue to do that for other people I know in the neighborhood as well. It'll probably just be real jobs you can't take.

[ Sunday, September 19, 2004 18:57: Message edited by: Also rather a nutcase. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #5
You can work at age 15, you just can't be employed. That is, you CAN work, but a company may not be able to hire you legally. But I think they can. You could make handicrafts, like stupid crap you see at flee markets like barnwood signs and sell them to your neighbors. or you could design a website like free the gnomes or homestarrunner and brainwash people into buying crap. (seriously, strongbad is influencing me).

edit, just reread your post: if your parents are willing to help you, find out what certain jobs (like painting the house) would cost if they hired someone else to do them, and then charge them that much. only thing is, then you have to do it.

[ Sunday, September 19, 2004 20:15: Message edited by: Lord Pibble ]

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #15 Wash your hands!!

That's skrange.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP, cleanfast productions co, inc)(Dgjzxachk)(Lord Pibble)
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #6
1) Camwhore.

2) Babysitting is good. I'm a selfish irresponsible jerk who hates children and I've earned around $3000 dollars in the past two and a half years.

3) Get your friends/siblings to get you on places after work. Seriously, I know a thirteen year old who gets to work in a toy store.

4) Ai... carwash?

5) Steal.

6) Camwhore.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
Yea you could always do illegal stuff. Sell some pot.

Or go door-to-door. Old people are willing to pay for anything.

--------------------
The critics agree!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
1. Mowing lawns (though it is fall now, so this option may be limited)

2. Shovel snow.

3. Babysit

4. Under-the-table job. Small local businesses will often hire you to work off the record. Because you're under the legal working age, they don't have to pay you minimum wage, but it is a way to get started.

5. Presumably you'll turn 16 this year. When you do, get a real job. Note that you may not be able to get the exact job that you want, but... (and this will sound unsavory) places like McDonalds are willing to hire younger folk on and if you work hard, will actually treat you well. I have a friend who was an assistant manager by his senior year of high school.

Reselling things on e-bay. A lot of large chain electronics stores will from time to time have outrageous deals on Xbox, PS 2, and Gamecube games. You could purchase these at very discounted rates, and then sell them on e-bay for a bit more and make a hansome profit. I have a friend who does this and he makes around $400-$500 on it a month in his spare time. This would require some initial investment on your part, though, as well as transportation and some savvy.

[ Monday, September 20, 2004 04:55: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #9
1) Sell crap on ebay. People aren't that diligent about checking your age if you do it right. There are some amazingly bad pieces of art and handicraft stuff which sell on ebay. There is no effective way to check your age on auction sites.
2) Lemonade stand. Sell candy bars. Requires a little initial investment.
3) Odd jobs. Mowing lawns.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #10
I think you should wait until you're old enough to get a real job...and old enough to enjoy some adult fun. If you're an ugly nerd, $3000 = 100 sassy Eastern European girls. That's a better investment than "dating" some overweight Jesus-sucking redneck pig - not everyone is blessed with Swedish blondes. :P
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #11
To clatify I CAN get a job but I CAN'T get one as no one will hire me. Odd jobs aren't really something I get often. Also a frind and I are planning some fund raising.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #12
Is it for a church trip? You can usually appeal to members to help support in that circumstance. Alternately, you could hold a something"-a-thon" event, e.g., for every hour of community service you do, so-and-so would donate $5 to your trip.

Car washes can be profitable. You could also sell a lot of your stuff that you don't use - you'd be surprised how liberating that can feel, and you may as well make money off of it. Heck, help your family hold a yard sale, and ask your folks if the proceeds can go toward your trip - they might be willing.

EDIT: Where have you tried getting hired? Have you asked your folks if they have friends who might be willing to hire you on?

[ Monday, September 20, 2004 12:05: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
You just might be able to get a job as kind of a handiman for one of your parents and crew assuming they don't work in an experience-only situation. Kind of be an apprentice. Don't expect, though, to earn $3000 in your first year or anything. As for the fundraisers, they are generally a good idea, but you need to keep them going for a time. As for Internet ways to instantly win money, in my opinion, most people just want to record your E-mail address in case of an "emergency". If you want my advice, you'd steer clear of those. E-bay is an option, but you need to have some interesting stuff.

In short, if you want to make money, you just need to persist and slowly build it up here and there until you reach your goal.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
Oh, thanks, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #15
The Best Way:

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/fangz/entry/that_poor_bunny/
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #16
Oh yeah, photocopy stuff. And stuff.

Like, stuff. You know.

[ Tuesday, September 21, 2004 15:49: Message edited by: Studies Prove ]

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #17
That man is a genus! Or....something. Actually, I've heard of someone doing the same thing with a kitten.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #18
Step 1: Collect Underpants

Step 2: ???????????????

Step 3: Profit

[ Tuesday, September 21, 2004 20:26: Message edited by: Bobo Returns ]

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Apprentice
Member # 5009
Profile #19
I'm going to do it but what can I find I need something REALLY cute. Also it must not be something illeagle. FYI: this is I on new account.

[ Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:40: Message edited by: The rightful owner of 5000 ]

--------------------
Post count 446 + Current.
--------------------
I am Dolney, A guy with some level of grammar and The rightful owner of 5000.
--------------------
"Well, to be perfectly honest, I'd rather watch grainy video of cheerleaders being introduced to lesbianism." -Jeff Vogel
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Bobo Returns:

Step 1: Collect Underpants

Step 2: ???????????????

Step 3: Profit

I love it when people recycle jokes that have been used better and more subtly before, that we may all laugh at them again. Bravo! Bravissimo!

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #21
There are a couple other things than sell things on ebay which can make money.

This is kind of a crazy thing. From Warren Buffet biography. Buy gum ball machine, or video game machine make agreement to put in local store. Basically some kind of cheap vending machine.

Consign stuff in a shop. Once again you have to have stuff to consign or know what to look for. When I had more time I used to pick books.

Collect recyclables, bottles, cans, scrap. I think this might be a little dangerous these days.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Apprentice
Member # 4812
Profile #22
you want money? well so does the of world. i recomend you get a job like everyone else..

--------------------
death is natural... i'm not..
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
To clarify I CAN get a job but I CAN'T get one as no one will hire me. Odd jobs aren't really something I get often. Also a frind and I are planning some fund raising.
Just what part did you ignore? Oh.. the whole topic? Please, go die in a hole. ^^

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #24
quote:
To clarify I CAN get a job but I CAN'T get one as no one will hire me.
That doesn't make sense.

Ready your nitpickers, gentle men.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool

Pages