Settings you would like to see future Spiderweb games take place in

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Settings you would like to see future Spiderweb games take place in
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #25
Actually, the S-F thing could work if they were dropped onto a low-tech world with only a bit of ammo and power left. Then they find out there's a way to get off-planet, but it's kind of a quest...

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate except for the fact that they refer to my clone.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #26
i dont like the idea of a sci-fi spidweb game. id rather play some lotr-kinda game. ye know that style, not lotr.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Imban of the Hrududil:

Please tell me where you live, so that I can avoid it.
quote:
Originally written by Blaspheme:

...sick world...sick peoples...

Warrior
Member # 1856
Profile Homepage #27
referring to my pervious post, i forgot to mention that they were dropped into a world where magic is the laws of physics. where einstien would have said, E=ManaXCharisma squared. see?

Oh, andy why not write a game for Pocket pc (Windows CE) I bet it would be easy, and i would KILL to be able to take avernum around like that. just a thought

[ Tuesday, May 25, 2004 02:43: Message edited by: CyberWolf ]

--------------------
Please visit the RP Paridise. rgf-network!

The chance of someone looking at you is directly proportonal to the stupidity of your act.

The idea is not to give your life for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #28
*grrrrr*
PocketPC is bad. He should definitely do it for Palm OS. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)
But I don't think he's likely to do either. It would involve a much larger amount of work than I think he's prepared to put forth.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #29
Going back a bit, I actually really like the Aztec idea. It would essentially be Nethergate 2- fight as either the Aztecs or Conquistadors. The former have aptitude with spears and tribal rituals, whereas the latter have aptitude with swords and guns... Hmm...
Yeah. I really, really like this idea.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #30
It is really rather promising. In addition to the manner in which the two main adversaries lend themselves naturally to different strategies and means, there's also a perfect third side in the whole struggle, which could serve as an NPC race along the lines of the Fomorians in Nethergate. This third side would be a rival native people, oppressed by the Aztecs for many years, and eager to ally themselves with the white invaders in an effort to win back power and control from the hated Aztecs. Although it's highly unlikely Jeff would ever delve into such a project, there's a chance that an enterprising BoA or Pyg designer will jump on such a fantastic idea.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #31
The Aztec-Conquistador idea is not new. The last time it was discussed, most people gunshot it because it would not only resemble Nethergate, it would basically be Nethergate. Stughalf's fomorian idea is somewhat good, but doesn't really solve that particular problem.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
I would not oppose a Nethergate 2. Although it would be a bit contrived if it were in the same setting as Nethergate was, because the magic LEFT the area, but still. I'd like to see him do something else with Nethergate somehow.

I feel unresolved, and Nethergate feels unloved. It doesn't get a sequel like GF, or sequels and a massive remake like Exile.

Thus I feel the Aztec idea is not a bad one.

[ Thursday, May 27, 2004 20:19: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #33
Arena RP-style, in an industrialized Ermarian long after the death of the Empire. Or, if that doesn't tickle you, vulturize Hindu mythology heavily -- there's a story-rich subject that really HASN'T taken a beating from the RPG scene; it'd be easy enough to combine the twilight era of Mughalstan and the rise of European imperialism with the old god-heroes.

[ Thursday, May 27, 2004 20:34: Message edited by: Super Custer Wars Alpha ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #34
I think I would actually would play the discussion RPG. I also agree with the idea of borrowing from hindu mythology.

--------------------
"Heads don't roll, they bounce!"

Want to find out how nasty you really are? visit:www.thespark.com now!

Also look at my site here
This is also a good site
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #35
Discussion RPG?
Warrior
Member # 1856
Profile Homepage #36
Yes! that sounds like an awesome idea! Us history has been beat to death, so has greek mythology and norse mythology as well. A well rounded ga,e based on either hindu or chinese mythology would make for a truly enchanting game.

--------------------
Please visit the RP Paridise. rgf-network!

The chance of someone looking at you is directly proportonal to the stupidity of your act.

The idea is not to give your life for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #37
Eh, I was going to suggest that, but considering the exceedingly poor level of understanding of Eastern cultures and history among the majority of Americans, I figured that a game based on such a subject would be met with a rather lukewarm reception.

[ Friday, May 28, 2004 07:23: Message edited by: Only Half Stultified? ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #38
A lack of understanding does not mean that an idea will not be liked. Clearly plenty of people didn't really understand the setting of Nethergate but it's still viewed with a lot of affection from certain sections.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #39
People generally like new stuff, and I can say with some certainty that there has never been a game which uses Hindu mythology in any capacity besides cadging names. There's also the fact that there's an extreme distendency to set games in the early industrial-colonial era; if you mix all of the heroic legends and such together -- I have a very, very shallow knowledge of Hinduism myself, so I don't know the particulars here -- with a historical era where several factions were vying for dominance of an extremely historically stratified area.
So far as Indian history goes, the late 1600s were very interesting times, and historical RPGs pretty much depend on interesting times.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

Going back to Keladon's post... I thought that GF centred on racism as well. Especially segregation. For instance the Shapers deemed themselves the ultimate race, with serviles being inferior. This is of course linked to slavery, but I feel it goes deeper.
Don't forget about the whole issue of genetic engineering. I don't think it's quite realistic to say the game is about segregation and racism without mentioning that the primary moral question of Geneforge is "Is it all right to treat a living creature like an object if I created it myself?" Is it okay to disregard the feelings of a creature if you are the very reason for its existence in the first place? How much responsibility is implied? It does go deeper than racism and segregation, because it adds the complication that the Shapers have actually created their servants through years and years of painstaking study and effort. So don't they deserve to be rewarded for their efforts with subservient creatures? Or do they have some sort of obligation to them? OR, are they out of line by creating them in the first place? This makes it much more complicated than issues of racism in the real world. For this reason I feel that Geneforge does not center on racism, segregation, or slavery so much as the touchy ethics involved in the manipulation of life when mortals obtain the powers of gods.

[ Friday, May 28, 2004 12:59: Message edited by: Cavanoskus ]

--------------------
AIM: Cavanoskus

My Homepage
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #41
If you really wanted to do it right. You could create a much better fantasy setting than Lord of the Rings. It might be nice to see a fantasy set in the elfland of Lord Dunsany, Charles De Lint, Charles Vess, or the more traditional fairytales with Selkies, and water sprites, redcaps, black nights, seely, unseely, fauns, leprechauns and all of the other boojums and stuff.

Or if you wanted to go far afield you could create a story based on kingship tales like Sundiata Lion King of Mali. Or a mythical cross between African and Middle Eastern mythology set in Nubia, Egypt, and Mesopotamia.

--------------------
Wave, wave, wave your flags. Butter sides all up.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily. Turn them upside down.
- The Better Butter Battle Book- Dr. Seuss

Buttered Toast's Short Short Scenario Design Contest- Blades of Avernum

http://butterytoast.tripod.com
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #42
You may be able to create a setting you like better than Middle Earth, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one with more detailed background written for it. LotR doesn't scratch the surface of its setting.

Yes, you can make settings anywhere, and you can even make interesting settings anywhere. The trick is getting a good work to enjoyment ration. The empire of Mali might make good hero fodder, but it's probably even more poorly understood by the general public than Hindu mythology. In fact, most people probably don't know there was an empire in Mali.

?Alorael, who thinks Nethergate took care of most of the faerie needs. If you want to dump the gathered otherwordly mythologies of everyone you can find, you might as well shamelessly steal from Tad William's book The War of the Flowers. Industrial revolution meets pixies. Not highly recommended.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
There were selkies and references to the Seelie and Unseelie Courts in Nethergate. Further proof that Jeff needs to make Nethergate 2. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

Yeah, Cav, I think GF has the most to do with genetic engineering, but also touches on issues of racism, slavery, and other things, too. The parenthetical in my post that started this vein of conversation was an afterthought, because I figured that some people might not realize that GF dealt with serious issues.

By the way, I hate the term "playing God" and every variation on it that people use when describing genetic engineering. Every scientific advance since controlling fire has been gaining power over the forces of nature traditionally considerd the domain of gods. Learning how to grow our own food was "obtaining the powers of gods," because it allowed us to control when and what we would eat, instead of just eating whatever nature supplied us. But surely one can't argue that we'd overstepped our bounds ten thousand years ago by developing agriculture, I would think.

Because people tend to misinterpret the posts that I make that are like this (although you don't seem anywhere near as daft as the people who do, one can't be too cautious): I am not making an argument for or against any kind of genetic engineering. I'm just making a statement about my opinion on a certain kind of terminology.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

There were selkies and references to the Seelie and Unseelie Courts in Nethergate. Further proof that Jeff needs to make Nethergate 2. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

Yeah, Cav, I think GF has the most to do with genetic engineering, but also touches on issues of racism, slavery, and other things, too. The parenthetical in my post that started this vein of conversation was an afterthought, because I figured that some people might not realize that GF dealt with serious issues.

By the way, I hate the term "playing God" and every variation on it that people use when describing genetic engineering. Every scientific advance since controlling fire has been gaining power over the forces of nature traditionally considerd the domain of gods. Learning how to grow our own food was "obtaining the powers of gods," because it allowed us to control when and what we would eat, instead of just eating whatever nature supplied us. But surely one can't argue that we'd overstepped our bounds ten thousand years ago by developing agriculture, I would think.

Because people tend to misinterpret the posts that I make that are like this (although you don't seem anywhere near as daft as the people who do, one can't be too cautious): I am not making an argument for or against any kind of genetic engineering. I'm just making a statement about my opinion on a certain kind of terminology.

Hm, I don't think I misinterpreted too much, I was mostly just thinking aloud in my post. But I do think the creation of life can be thought of as a "power of gods", whereas simple agriculture is merely an intelligent manipulation of resources already available. And let me clarify: I am talking about the magic (including Shaping) in Geneforge. I am not talking about real-life genetic engineering as "playing God". It is obvious in Geneforge that some sort of moral quandary was intended and the comparison between mortals and gods is inevitable.

I'm not arguing for or against anything either. I'm not even close to talking about the real world except to mention that Geneforge is obviously different from it and all the serious issues that are dealt with in the game are dealt with through a different lens.

--------------------

My Homepage
SnakeNetMetalRadio

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #45
Okay, the magic, sure. Fair enough.

And I didn't mean that you had already misinterpreted; I meant that the paragraph to come was to prevent misinterpretation. It's always interesting to come back and see that people are quoted me as saying something that I didn't say at all.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Okay, the magic, sure. Fair enough.

And I didn't mean that you had already misinterpreted; I meant that the paragraph to come was to prevent misinterpretation. It's always interesting to come back and see that people are quoted me as saying something that I didn't say at all.

Ah, I got it. IMAGE(smile001.gif)

Back on topic, I would like to see a Spiderweb RPG that deals with space exploration. If you think of space as the "outdoors" and the planets as "dungeons" you'll get a bit of what I mean. It would be interesting to see how Spiderweb deals with the creation of alien cultures.

It would also be neat to see a game take place on ancient Earth. I mean, REALLY ancient earth. You start as an amoeba, and work your way up the evolutionary ladder. You get some fun swapping of monster parts to evolve your character, and your choices influence the appearance of various species on the Earth.

[ Thursday, June 03, 2004 17:53: Message edited by: Cavanoskus ]

--------------------

My Homepage
SnakeNetMetalRadio

Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #47
While the idea of amoebic evolution hasn't really been ventured into and therefore might create a fairly novel game, it's hard to see exactly how it would become a game along the lines that Vogel makes. It's not as if you can pick up a sword and go attack some hideous evil (or just a townsperson that looked at you the wrong way...) in that sort of game.

As for the space one... I am unsure. There is too many types of game you can make with that sort of genre. If I get the rough gist of what you are saying, then yes, it could be a reasonably good way of doing it. It is however a wide step out from the normal Spiderweb game.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
There was a platformer/RPG for the SNES called "E.V.O.: The Search for Eden" in which one started out as a fish, crawled out of the seas and eventually evolved into a human. It was pretty average as a game, and portrayed a ludicrously oversimplified, Lamarckian view of evolution to boot.

--------------------
I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy who shoots the arrows,
If I only had a heart.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #49
Remember - Vogel doesn't want to make games with any sort of intellectual value. As he stated himself, he's gearing his games towards 8-year-olds who want to go out and butcher baddies. Plot, etc. are all secondary concerns.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.

Pages