Settings you would like to see future Spiderweb games take place in

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Settings you would like to see future Spiderweb games take place in
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #50
in the aztec rpg my main guy will be named montezuma ssj4

IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) IMAGE(cool0000.gif)

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

Remember - Vogel doesn't want to make games with any sort of intellectual value. As he stated himself, he's gearing his games towards 8-year-olds who want to go out and butcher baddies. Plot, etc. are all secondary concerns.
Um, I'm quite sure he wants to do games with intellectual value. And from what I've seen, he has succeeded quite well. Sure, they are no brain-blowers but who needs those, anyway? Games should first and foremost be games. If I specifically want an intellectual experience, I go read a good book or something.

Since I don't own BoE, I don't know what uber-intelligent plots you guys have created. Nontheless, I'm quite fine with Jeff's current 8-years-old policy.

EDIT: Also, you can hardly blame him for trying to make money. Even if it means the standard of the games isn't as high as you would hope.

[ Thursday, June 03, 2004 21:44: Message edited by: Saltweed ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Saltweed:

quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

Remember - Vogel doesn't want to make games with any sort of intellectual value. As he stated himself, he's gearing his games towards 8-year-olds who want to go out and butcher baddies. Plot, etc. are all secondary concerns.
Um, I'm quite sure he wants to do games with intellectual value. And from what I've seen, he has succeeded quite well.

Exile games are not brain food. Play a few more games and you'll wonder if Jeff took a lot of elements from a book. There are clever turns, but clever turns and an abysmal greater whole do not an intellectual work make.
Sure, they are no brain-blowers but who needs those, anyway? Games should first and foremost be games. If I specifically want an intellectual experience, I go read a good book or something.

This is a statement that is often broken out when someone wants to defend a game against charges of it being mindless and doesn't know how. It's not a defense, it's a statement of willful ignorance. Saying a game is not meant to have any intellectual content, and that such is a secondary concern, is basically the sort of attitude that's flooding the market with idiotic shooters and really, really bad RPGs. Saying 'screw plot, screw atmosphere, we've got a GAME to play here!' is basically inviting people to abuse a viable storytelling genre.

Since I don't own BoE, I don't know what uber-intelligent plots you guys have created.

You are missing out. The preceding is the understatement of the century. Blades is Vogel's finest work, bar none. I have the sneaking feeling that the BoA editor comes off as crippled and useless because he didn't like the idea of people creating works better than his with his tools. (For examples, see the Comprehensive Scenario Reviews at the Lyceum, play the top 10, compare to any given Exile. Chances are it's going to fall about at par.)

Nontheless, I'm quite fine with Jeff's current 8-years-old policy.

I'm not. Treating good gameplay as an excuse to expect less rather than something by which you should expect more is an abusive tactic and should be scorned.

EDIT: Also, you can hardly blame him for trying to make money. Even if it means the standard of the games isn't as high as you would hope.

I can and I will blame him for trying to make money, especially at the expense of his customer base. I think it killed everyone in the BoE community, by far and large the biggest faction of the Spidweb community, when they first found out that Jeff Vogel would prefer to make money on some derivative nonsense (the Avernums are a wonderful, original work, much like they were five years before Av1 was released) than to make his best product work.

I think something really breaks inside when someone who you idolized as a person and a programmer basically looks you in the face and says 'I only care about all of you because of your wallets'. Hang around the Lyceum at some point, and you'll find I'm not too far wrong on that one, if at all.

You want a counterexample of this sort of lunacy? Look at Firaxis. They actually have a revolutionary thing called community rapport, in which the games' designers actually discuss issues with people who play and buy the games. And here's something else revolutionary: when the mass of people disagree with the Firaxis team over something, they don't tend to defend it mindlessly. They change it.

Jeff Vogel's version of this is popping out of his Seattle-based cave about a month a year, defending his masterworks against the seditious majority, and then going back to work on another GUI-upgrading, gameplay-dumbing masterpiece. We don't care if you design a good plot, kids. We care that you buy and play our games. Buy them for your friends. Buy. Spend. Consume.

Christ. It's like dealing with EA, only at least EA actually has the economy of scale to get away with that kind of crap.

[ Thursday, June 03, 2004 22:01: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #53
BoA isn't bad. Still, Brett has been saying good things about NWN...

There's always WC3...

The reason I, personally, stick with BoE is the fact that the community here is actively involved with the actual story- People who play WC3 seem altogether ambivalent to the IDEA of a story, much less those which are produced. (And the only real one I've played thusfar is WoS, which smacks of bad SNES RPGs.) I don't care much about graphics- another playthrough of FF7 is more than good enough to satiate that need for a few months. Broadly-drawn characters pasted onto 3d graphics can only carry a game for so long.

And then, Fallout came into my life- oh, my beautiful darling. If "Blades of Fallout" were to be released, I'd drop Spidweb in a day, maybe less.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #54
NWN is nice. It's majorly been informing Pygmalion, perhaps more than BoE has been.
I agree with Alec in this case. There's a reason I haven't played a SW game to completion in years.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #55
Just as an explanation, JV made the 8-year-old comment himself. It's not just Alec's interpretation of the games.

I have no issues with the majority of SW games. I enjoyed A1-3 greatly, and GF1-2, and Nethergate. I couldn't stand the Exile format, so I understand why JV made the Exiles into the Avernums. I intend to buy GF3 the day it comes out and play it through to completion. These games, I think, are fine. I do have issues with the way Jeff has handled Blades and the Blades community, but I wasn't even aware of that until I joined these boards.

I find it rather surprising that Alec has already concluded that the BoA editor seems crippled and useless. You've had that editor for how long? A couple of days? It takes some getting used to.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #56
Is there some module of it I missed which allows you to edit terrain, monsters, items, or scripts?

--------------------
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #57
Your computer does have a text editor, right?

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #58
Last time I checked, it was the year 2004 and the GUI had been in use for over a quarter century. Creating custom monster and item scripts is something the computer should do, not the human.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #59
In comparison to BoE, BoA has a needless drop in functionality. This increases power, as I said, but I'm very surprised that the BoA engine basically expects you to throw around raw code.

EDIT: I, personally, really want to see the Mughalstan RPG made. It's probably one of the only areas that hasn't been explored before.

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 12:33: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #60
If you're still discussing potential setting, I feel I should mention something;

Inter-dimensional portals are almost always neat.

It might be kinda weird, but travelling through time and alternate dimensions and junk might be fun.

Yeah, and you could pick up weird allies from every place, like a weird cowboy guy, and a heroin addict from New York, and a lady with multiple personalities who lost most of her legs so you gotta push her around in a wheelchair...
(HINT, HINT??? just kidding, peoples, mostly.)

--------------------
Check out the DIARY, why doncha? It won't bite. Probably.

"We were heart companions,
We were companions in the woods,
We were fellows of the same bed,
Where we used to sleep the balmy sleep.
After mortal battles abroad,
In countries many and far distant,
Together we used to practice, and go
Through each forest, learning with Scathach".
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #61
Start running.

--------------------
I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy who shoots the arrows,
If I only had a heart.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #62
Where's my stupidity detector? I thought I had it around here somewhere... ah there it is! Glued to the screen where that post is. IMAGE(smile002.gif)

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Apprentice
Member # 4467
Profile Homepage #63
What about those settings:

- Pirates (everyone loves pirates, right?) or maybe Vikings (here we´d have that Norse mythology thing again)
- Something like feudal Japan? Or what about Ninjas or a Kung-Fu-Master style story?
- Epic SciFi/ Space Opera like Dune or The Foundation?
- A "Internet"-based game. No, I DO NOT mean a MMPORPG, but something like a adventure inside a ficitonal internet hidign some terrible secret...?
- A classical "Al Capone/ Chicago Gangs/ Mafia/ Cosa Nostra"-style adventure

- Dwight

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty, Bladerunner
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #64
Pirates? You mean something like 'arr, me hearties'? A pirate game that was even vaguely realistic would rapidly replace GTA as number one scapegoat for everything wrong with the nation's youth were it ever to catch on. Pirates spent the time they didn't spend running from better-armed ships preying on those too weak to defend themselves, and then getting drunk in some out-of-the-way port where they were running a half-hearted protection racket.

Vikings-incidentally, viking is the old Norse verb for raiding-would hardly be any more seemly, being as they, again, never really attacked anywhere they weren't sure of an overwhelming victory: defenceless seaside towns, monasteries, and so forth. Neither setting really lends itself to an RP...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #65
RPG, Omelette.

And all of those settings are horribly overused.

Also, you seen Pirates!? It looks very, very good...

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #66
You mean Pirates of the Carribean? Yes, it's good, and I don't doubt you can make good games and films in fake-swashbuckling-pirate universes (I certainly enjoyed the first three Monkey Islands), but not in the real world of pirates.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #67
No, no. I mean Sid Meier's Pirates! remake.

http://www.atari.com/pirates/pirates/home.php?lg=1

--------------------
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #68
Viking meant raider by the 12th century, and vikingr was to raid. However, there's still some dispute about whether that was the original meaning, or whether it originally meant 'one who comes from the Vik' and eventually grew synonymous with raiding.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #69
Pfft. I actually found the line 'impress the governor's daughter with your dancing skills' while looking through the website...

It looks like quite a good game, if I'm honest, but it's still set in a fake-swashbuckling pirate universe rather than a real one. I'm not so sure that's a flaw, either, but the point stands that a realistic pirate setting wouldn't exactly be child-friendly.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #70
Nor would the Avernum games were realism a greater concern. Your point being?

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #71
I can't even remember if I had one.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #72
Hello! Here are a few possible settings for future SW games (they're mostly wishful thinking, though)

-) An RPG inspired by Lovecraft's Mythos. It might take place in our world or in something like the Dreamlands.

-) A super heroes game. Maybe with the added feature of being able to play the side of good, evil, or that wonderful grey in-between.

-) The ideas that have been presented dealing with Mythologies are awesome. That would truly be a nice game to play, if done properly. Just because the subject matter seems serious, doesn't mean it can't be done, even for the "8 year old crowd." For example, there's a trilogy of books for "young-adult readers" called "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman which did a very interesting revision of Heaven/Hell, Angels, Demons, God and so on.

-) A neat Fairy Tale setting could also be nice. I mean a fairy tale world like Oz or the C. S. Lewis world (forgot the name now, agh. Chronicles of Narnia???)

-) As far as historical settings, how about one with Pre-Historic people, but mixing them with dinosaurs and heck, just for kicks and grins they can stumble upon one of the lost cities of the Old Ones (I know, I'm obssessed with Lovecraft!)

-) The Science Fiction idea is nice. Most of the games dealing with that genre tend to be based on copy righted properties, and the famous ones to boot. But a game that takes place in a setting like Arthur C. Clarke's Rama could be interesting. That would be a game primarily focused on exploring and the sense of wonder and danger coming from the unknown.

I just hope SW doesn't do any more remakes. I enjoyed playing the Avernum games because I loved the Exile trilogy a lot and it gave me the chance to appease my boredom visiting the same story with a different engine. But I would have preferred more original settings.

Cheers!

--------------------
"I like traffic lights, but not when they are red." [Abridged] Monty Python Song.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #73
Good ideas, all of them. It's just that everytime I hear a suggestion I imagine how it would work in the Avernum and Geneforge engines. Most of the time, not very well at all.

I liked the first idea most. Lovecraft actually can be turned into a good RPG. Narnia, on the other hand, and dinosaurs... I don't know. The same goes for superheroes. Pullman is a questionmark, but it could work. It would have to be much less combat-oriented than the Avernum/Geneforge games, however.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #74
It would be nice to see a Lovecraft setting. or for that matter any modern setting. It could with an engine similar to Avernum, I think, better than the Geneforge one. The outdoor areas would still "country" oriented, with forests and the like as well as roads. The cities could look like the cities do in Avernum, but instead of brick walls, concrete walls for some of the buildings. One of the not-so nice things would be the tall buildings, the isometric view in Avernum doesn't lend that well for that one.

There has been some comments in this thread and others about guns.
Maybe this is a minimalistic view, but I see guns just as bows. You still need arrows for them. With guns you use bullets and do about the same amount of damage, with varying ranges depending upon the gun. A possible implementation would be reload aspect. You need to do it and could cost an action point or more.

For transportation, a car could work like the horses. You can travel around with it, but need to get out when you enter the towns, or outside of them (big towns/cities you can travel on the streets as long as they are wide enough)

Instead of having a world which is basically one big lump, you can have a couple of continents, say Europe and North America (though that sounds rather immensely huge now that I think about it)

This lends to bigger city adventures, as cities like New York you can have multiple grids for them (I'm now thinking something along the lines of the huge city in Baldur's Gate 2.)

You could even have magic. Though that's a bit trickier. I have ingrained in my mind the system in the Call of Cthulhu game which make magic difficult to come by and highly ritualistic. Maybe not something that lends too well to the Avernum style game.

Still, it would definitely be a pradigm shift not only from the magic system in the SW games, but from most CRPGs.

There would still be a fair amount of combat, since the SW games tend to have plenty of that. Most of it I guess would end up being against evil cultists and the like. But some of the minor mythos monsters could also be hack and slashed to the gamer's pleasure. The cool thing about the mythos is that it has grown throughout the years with the creations of other people other than HPL.

The big creatures would not be destroyed with force, since it goes against the spirit, but it might be fun to work in finding other ways to do that.

Anyway, I' think I've rambled too much.

Cheers!

--------------------
"I like traffic lights, but not when they are red." [Abridged] Monty Python Song.

Pages