Merry Christmas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Merry Christmas
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #25
Asking me to not whine uselessly is like asking the stars to not shine. I've got to have something to complain about. And while it's usually nothing good, but it helps keep improve my skills for the serious complaints(all of which would be as well recieved as the BS shtuff. So I make my posts while knowing no one will actually care what they say) Any other meaningless comments?
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #26
Ugh, this is just getting stupid.

Anyway, Alec, I'd have thought you'd agree with this anti-commercial-Christmas stuff (I agree, but that's beside the point). I mean, it's basically giving toys to kids who don't need them; and just look at the gift-return line after Christmas, solid proof that people barely even care about family, let alone Jesus. They just care about getting stuff that they want.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
There's nothing wrong with returning a gift you don't like. The person who gave it to you wanted you to be happy; if you'd be happier with something else, not exchanging the gift for something you'd prefer seems positively wasteful.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Chaldrath:

Yeah I am early, but if you haven't noticed, I can be gone for months at a time.

So Merry Christmas, and have a happy holiday, whatever you celebrate. (I say Merry Christmas as I celebrate Christmas.)

IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/icons/icon14.gif)

I'm jewish!! I take offence!! Friggin' Christian bastards!! *stabstabstabstab*

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #29
Heyheyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey, blame him blame him! Don't blame all the christians!
My dad is a jewish sympathiser (I AM NORWEGIAN!!! AND 15 YEARS OLD!!!), coz he thinks the jews is harassed too frickin much, and I agree.... Ok, the point is, you overreact!

Ps: The reason I am overreacting is that i think I have spelled wrong

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #30
YOUR GULLIBILITY IS MARVELOUS

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #31
Funny, Feran, I recall you being catholic :P

Also, I have misgivings about celebrating Christmas for religious reasons, but hey, the presents are nice.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by USA-se Xenerali-boariku CUSITURA:

Also, I have misgivings about celebrating Christmas for religious reasons, but hey, the presents are nice.
You mean you don't worship Mammon and his jolly disciple Mr.Claus like the rest of us?

Have a ho, and another ho, merry Christmas!

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #33
Yeah, Alec, what religious reasons? =\

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Infiltrator
Member # 187
Profile #34
It truly is touching to see a well-intentioned thread ruined by a few pricks.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #35
Oh, sorry, Chaldy. The entire going off on thread-derailing tangents must have developed at SW as a result of my influence in your absence.
:rolleyes:

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #36
David, unless I'm mistaken, Alec is pointing out the fact that Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December- rather, he was born around passover. The Romans were alot of things, but they were nothing if not poltically savvy. When collecting annual taxes in Judea, they would hold the census and collect when everyone was in one place- namely, Jerusalem, for the passover celebration. If my memory also serves me, the date of Christ's birth was moved to conflict with a pagan holiday. If you want to celebrate the birth of god, do it on Passover.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #37
Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate it!

And happy Hanukkah (That's how I spell it) for Alooloolal, Myself, James who is almost six, Zeviz, and whoever else I'm forgetting is Jewish. I'm getting a discman with a casette adaptor for my car! Yay!

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #38
Merry Christmas Everyone (notices its not Christmas yet)

Oh well, Im finally getting a new keyboard for Christmas, the one Im using finally displays the parenthesis correctly...

(maybe throwing things at walls in anger actually fixes them...) :cool:

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #39
TM: I've heard plenty of different dates. I don't know which is right, but it doesn't matter; Christmas is as good a time to celebrate his birth as any.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #40
On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me...
A partri-idge in a pear tree.
On the twelvth day of Christmas my true love sent to me...
Twelve drummers drumming,
Eleven pipers piping,
Ten lords-a-leaping,
Nine ladies dancing,
Eight maids-a-miliking,
Seven swans-a-swimming,
Six geese-a-laying,
Five go-old riiiiinngsss,
Four calling birds,
Three french hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partri-idge in a pear treee.

If anyone disagrees with what I just wrote (as in, thinks it has different words, not that you think it should be "eight days of Hanukkah" or somesuch), feel free to say so. A girl in my class thinks it's "four colly birds" and I keep insisting to her that it's not and vice-versa.
And if you happen to know a foreign version could you tell me? please...?

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #41
There are worse anti-Christmas diatribes than LF's one. There's the 'pagan' argument that Christmas is where Saturnalia used to be, and that they want the festival back.

I'm all in favour of religious tolerance, but nobody should be allowed to call themselves a pagan until they've sacrificed at the very least a goat. Otherwise, you're just a neo-pagan, an atheist, an anti-Christian moron with no logic to your aguments or possibly a Wiccan. Note here that I know nothing about Wiccans, so any flames on that issue might well be on a sound basis.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #42
Isn't pagan a blanket term for anything that's not [insert religion here]? Well, Christians, Jews, and Muslims seem to have come to teh accord that while they are all non-pagan, they can mutually describe each other as infidels. Not that it makes any difference, but the terminology is very important.

—Alorael, who has never understood how people who have never had another religion can be infidels. Calling converts that would make more sense.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #43
Well, yes, but OUR religion is the right one! :P

It doesn't matter what people believe in; whatever you happen to choose is always correct of course. And, naturally, everyone else is an infidel and should be burned. :D

Ah yes, and Pagan I guess means any religion that does not have a large number of followers (defining a large number as on the scale of Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity etc.). So you can call yourself a pagan, but you'd never call yourself an infidel.

[ Thursday, December 11, 2003 13:42: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #44
Ørangutan, it's golden, not go-old. So there :P

Pagans are, to the Western and Middle Eastern worlds, anyone who is not one of the "people of the book" (Jews, Christians, Muslims). I wouldn't be surprised if those three religions are considered pagan to Buddhists, Hindus, and any other religions.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #45
Well, as I'm a Hindu, I can assure you that we do not consider the followers of any of the three Abrahamic religions to be pagans or infidels. Most Hindus believe very strongly in the adage, "All religions are but paths leading up the same mountain." As such, we respect the followers of all religions equally. There is no Hindu conversion ritual. Some extremist Muslims consider Hindus to be infidels, but I've never heard a follower of any religion referring to a Hindu as a "pagan."

In my humble understanding of the term, "pagan" refers only to the followers of the ancient Greek religion, as well as the followers of other various minor religions once practiced in ancient Europe. I don't believe it is ever used to describe followers of any Eastern religions.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #46
'Pagan' is only seriously used to describe neo-paganism, animism, and (on occasion) neo-wiccans.

For the record:

If you never believed, you're a heretic;
If you were Catholic and aren't any longer, you're an apostate;
If you were Catholic and somehow severely betrayed the church, you're an infidel.
(The term 'infidel' in the other prominent usage refers, I believe, to non-Muslim Abrahamics, for the fact that they follow parts of the Book but not others, and corrupted forms of the parts they do follow.)

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #47
Not quite.

An apostate is indeed someone who's left a religion. A heretic is anyone who holds beliefs contrary to established dogma. Someone who leaves the Catholic Church is a schismatic as well as being an apostate; all schismatics are heretics, but not all heretics are schismatic.

Alec is reasonably accurate in his definition of pagans, while the correct term for someone who's never belonged to whichever One True Religion we happen to be interested in is "heathen"; all pagans are either heathens or apostates, but not all heathens are pagans.

And "infidel" is simply a blanket term for anyone who doesn't hold all the right beliefs to be a member of your religion.

Confused yet?

[ Friday, December 12, 2003 00:14: Message edited by: Full Metal Jagot ]

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #48
Happy Easter!

(I know it's a bit early, but it's better than too late)

And for the record, I'm an apostate, a heretic, a heathen and an infidel, but not a pagan.

[ Friday, December 12, 2003 03:50: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #49
Could someone draw a Venn diagram to make it less confusing? :P

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.

Pages