Merry Christmas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Merry Christmas
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #50
A Venn diagram would have to be drawn on a Klein bottle to cover some of the possibilities existing on these boards.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #51
Hum. To speak.. or not to speak?

I have nothing to say.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #52
Better choose the second option, then.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #53
=]

People rarely use "pagan" anymore except as a joke anyway. I've also seen it in history books, describing plenty of ancient religions including Greek, Celtic, African, etc.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #54
It';s best applicable to Ancient Greek, ROman or Celtic religion. It comes from the Latin work paganis, countryman.

But I was referring to neo-pagans and the like, the sort with the candles, drugged appearances and inexplicable prayers to the likes of Artemis.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #55
Ah, the ones who call themselves pagans, proudly? Those people annoy me as much as those "rebel" goths and punks... coincidentally ( :rolleyes: ) a lot of those self-titled pagans are also "rebel" punks and goths...

EDIT: YAY4SPELLING

[ Saturday, December 13, 2003 14:18: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #56
Doesn't anyone actually sacrifice goats and sheep anymore? No virgins, even?
Has anyone read The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett, where Rincewind and Cohen save a virgin from a druid sacrifice and she starts screaming at them, saying that all her life had led up to it ("All those wasted Saturday nights spent at home")?
And how come no-one else has posted alternative/foreign "Twelve Days of Christmas" except for Sir David, of course, who is wrong. (Five GOLD rings!)

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #57
I don't know, maybe they do in some isolated unknown South American tribe... and yes, I have read it =] Getting married to an old toothless guy, no matter how strong, doesn't seem to be the best reward for keeping oneself pure...

By the way, it's definitely golden. It sounds better, and anyway, http://www.christmas-carols.net/carols/twelve-days.html.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #58
A thootless guy with diamonds in his mouth, and he is in incredible good shape

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #59
What really bothers me about all these different religions is the Jihads. According the the Qor'an, as far as I know, you're supposed to convert people peacefully, and you're not supposed to kill. (I'm Protestant Christian, so I wouldn't know much about Islam) The Crusades were also not santioned by the Bible. In the 10 commandments, it says, "Thou shalt not kill." I can't say anything for Hindus and Buddhists, but I'm guessing there's something around those lines in their holy books.

--------------------
Chance Forums.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #60
Holy books teach plenty of things, but most organised religions find the commandments hard to keep, particularly when they are also a ntion-state. IMHO organised religion should be considered an oxymoron. I'd provide my reasoning, but I'm too tired and too unsure what I actually believe.

--------------------
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #61
I see your point though. There's hardly any religion that doesn't say "Don't Kill", but see how many people do it just for the sake of their religion. A bit hypocritic... :rolleyes:

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #62
Arcblade- Hinduism and Buddhism, unlike Christianity and Islam, are highly tolerant in nature. Proselytism is not sanctioned by either religion's texts.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #63
I agree with Sir David on at least one issue: I've heard it both ways, and 'go-old rings' just sounds retarded.

Also, Abrahamic religions tend to be more violent due to the simple fact of their origin: they come from an area of the world where you have better odds being ruled by violent madmen than trying to go out into the world on your own, and if those violent madmen offer you power of your own, you'd be more than happy to go and make others subscribe to this way of thinking.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #64
Doesn't mean Hinduism and Buddhism don't have their share of fundies too, though. Wasn't it an extremist Hindu who shot Gandhi?

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #65
There are indeed Hindu fundies, although they are somewhat of a recent phenomenon. Many Hindus have become highly militant in recent decades, generally as a result of India-Pakistan tensions, especially in border areas such as Kashmir, Punjab, and Sindh. In Western India, the active presence of Christian mercenaries has also angered many Hindus. There's the general feeling in India nowadays that the traditional Hindu philosophies of tolerance and passivity have allowed Hindus to be taken advantage of. It's somewhat of a "No more Mr. Nice Guy" philosophy. Although I deplore many of the actions of militant Hindus in India, such as the assassination of Gandhi and the destruction of the Babri Mosque in Ayodhya, I cannot deny that I find some of their ideas to be extremely attractive. When I heard, a few years ago, that several missionaries had been burnt to death in Western India, it was impossible to ignore or deny the feeling of elation that passed through me. I also approve of the conversion ritual designed by Hindus for the purpose of re-converting recently-converted Christians back to Hinduism. And I most certainly agree that Kashmir must be held on to at all costs.

Even hard-line Hindus hold to the Hindu principles of tolerance, however. We have nothing against the Christian or Muslim religions, save their intolerance towards ours.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #66
I believe Kashmir should be independent, under the oversight of an international body -- perhaps the UN. Of course, I feel the same about Israel. If people can't agree on who gets to rule a particular piece of land, I don't think either deserve it.

In the long run, the British are to blame. India does not belong to the Hindus; Pakistan and Bangladesh do not belong to the Muslims. Colonial demarcations cause nothing but war, and now it's too late to fix it.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #67
Djur's right. The terrible thing is that plenty of Britons think colonialism wasn't such a bad thing, and point to many of the things that shot up after it in the newly independent areas. Thus they manage to completely miss the point.

--------------------
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #68
I agree that the British are to be blamed for the permanent embitterment between India and Pakistan. Their "divide and conquer" philosophy irreversibly exacerbated Hindu-Muslim tensions in the subcontinent.

However, I still believe very strongly that Kashmir rightfully belongs to India. People will argue that Muslims far outnumber Hindus in the state, but this has not always been the case. Huge numbers of Hindus, many of them native Kashmiri "Pundits," have been killed or forced out of the state, forced to take refuge in India due to brutal terrorist attacks on their homes and businesses. Hundreds of Hindus are killed yearly on pilgrimages to various religious sites in Kashmir. Although Pakistan will argue that the terrorists are composed entirely of native Kashmiri Muslims, trained in Kashmir itself, the ugly truth is that these terrorists, a mixed lot of Pakistanis and Kashmiris, are trained and armed in Pakistan before being sent off to Indian-held Kashmir.

The idea of an independent Kashmir is a very pretty one. Unfortunately, such a country would never survive. It would start out extremely weak, and unless protected by an powerful foreign army, would be overrun and taken by Pakistani forces before a day had passed. Note also the decreasing number of vocal independence advocates in Kashmir. Several of them have been assassinated in recent years by Pakistani sympathizers. Kashmiris favoring a union with Pakistan are becoming more and more powerful and influential in Kashmir. An independent Kashmir would never survive, and a Pakistan-controlled Kashmir would simply serve as a staging point for further invasion into India. Most of the leaders of the terrorist groups would hardly be satisfied merely with controlling Kashmir. Several have voiced insane ambitions of invading Delhi and "reinstating" Muslim rule in India. Clearly, India cannot allow such madness to ensue. Kashmir must be held.

--------------------
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #69
What's the status on the territories India disputes with China in the area?

--------------------
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #70
I don't know quite so much about those territories, although Ladakh, which is on the border, I believe, is still held by India. Ladakh's population is largely Buddhist, and as such it is somewhat of a haven for Buddhists displaced from Tibet and other areas, along with cities such as Dharmsala (the Dalai Lama's current place of residence). Although I am sure some of these territories are still contested, relations between India and China have largely stabilized in recent years. Another war between the two countries is highly unlikely.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #71
I always sing it "gold". I think it doesn't sound right for "golden".
It was our last day of term and some of our teachers sang it with alternative lyrics in the end-of-term assembly. I'm not going to bother writing it out right now, but "five gold[en] rings" became "no chewing gum". Some of them you might not get unless you were actually at my school. They had props and stuff as well, for "a partridge in a pear tree" one of the secretaries waved a rubber bird around. One of the jannies was the conductor and he was wearing a big sparkly suit, so we all laughed. They got such a massive cheer at the end.

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #72
I'm pretty damn certain that it's "golden."

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #73
Maybe I just prolong "rings" a bit more. Who cares, anyway? Can't someone just post alternative/foreign lyrics for it???????

--------------------
~ørangutan

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #74
Well if you think it's "gold", then my lyrics are alternative... anyway, "No chewing gum" has four syllables, as does "Five golden rings"; "five gold rings" does not, and therefore it sounds, and is, wrong. Now let me go look for that gangster version...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Pages