To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel...
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #0
Lo and behold, my very first poll! As useless as ever but still, according to myself, quite interesting due to the many nationalities we have dwelling here on these boards.

The question goes as such: Is English your mother tongue?

I hope for many answers as it will probably provide an interesting reading. And as for my confession, English is not my first language (as most of you probably have already noticed).

My sincere thanks to every voter.

[ Wednesday, October 22, 2003 01:55: Message edited by: Ironweed ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 49 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=mXkndRWoYIni"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=mXkndRWoYIni"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_windowIMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/votenow.gif)[/url]     IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/voteresults.gif)[/url]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You show more respect for the English language than many who speak it natively.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
My first language is German, but I've been in an English-speaking school for five years, and anyone I meet is surprised when I tell them English is only my second language rather than my first. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #3
I am russian. What about yourself Ironweed?

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #4
ir finsh but ican speek englsh kwait vel.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #5
This poll is sort of biased by context. Naturally it'll atract more non-native English speakers to vote as its primarily directed at them!
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #6
Hmm I'm not sure which option to vote because I spoke only Hebrew until the age of three, after which I started speaking English. Now I can understand Hebrew fairly well, but I don't speak it and use only English as my day-to-day language.

--------------------
who?
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
Whoa, my vote made it 50-50. I can speak another language but I don't speak it much and I use English far more often because I am in America...

--------------------
How do signature's work?
-Keep
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
English ist meine gebürtige Sprache, und meine Grammatik ist night so gut. -_-

It's a testament to America and other anglophones that they speak our tongue so cognizantly, often including tricky idiom, where we only know one of theirs and butcher it constantly. Props to the lot of you.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #9
I think I'd say that I learned English something like, "side-by-side" with my native language.
edit: It's still my second language, though.

[ Wednesday, October 22, 2003 15:39: Message edited by: Undine ]

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #10
English is my first language.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
English is my first language, and I have to say I wouldn't want to have to learn it as a second language. Forget rational spelling or coherent rules of grammar. Our language is about as reasonable as our government!

—Alorael, who también speaks another lengua, pero he doesn't la habla muy well. And es even peor cuando él trata to mix ambos en a single oración.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #12
English is my favourite language.

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by X:

This poll is sort of biased by context. Naturally it'll atract more non-native English speakers to vote as its primarily directed at them!
Way to ruin the party X! IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/tongue.gif)

Your statement is however 100% correct. I almost didn't click on the vote button cause I was thinking "meh, there's lots of english natives here, they can go click it".

I imgine my thought track would've been somewhat different if I was otherwise linguisticised. And no, that isn't a word. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/biggrin.gif)

Md.
Apprentice
Member # 1695
Profile #14
Holà a todos que hablan espanol

Hello to all who speak english

Bonjour à tous ceux qui parle francais

??? ??????? ?? ???? ???????

arigato gosaimasu
Apprentice
Member # 1695
Profile #15
stupid board,
cant even understand russian character

Mor Xehwnha ot bawa xehwnha
??? ??????? ?? ???? ???????
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Marooner:

Bonjour à tous ceux qui parle francais

Don't you mean parlent? And what about the cedilla?
Bah, silly quebecois IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Apprentice
Member # 1695
Profile #17
Bonjour à tout ceux qui parlent franÇais.

here you go

and dont you mean Québecois?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #18
w00t.

Hablo español también, pero inglés es mi idioma primera. Algo me extraña. En los Estados Unidos, aprendemos solo dos idiomas. En otros paises, aprenden tres o cuatro o más idiomas. ¿Porque está? ¿Somos solo perezoso?

I apologize in advance for any way I may have inadvertently butchered the Spanish language in my previous paragraph.

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #19
I speak Russian somewhat, but I've grown up in America so I don't really know the language too well.

It's true that a lot of Americans butcher their language mercilessly. This is also quite a pity. I beleive butchering any language due to simple laziness is more than a little bit foolish, for communication is the only way to interact with others. Inability to communicate coherrent thoughts is one major cause for a lot of the problems we have.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Coherently expressing thoughts would be another major source of problems. Especially in America, where people take the right to say absolutely anything very seriously.

—Alorael, who believes that part of the American aversion to learning more languages and learning them well comes from a sense of superiority. Americans are just too good to learn to speak German when the Germans can learn English.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #21
We should all make things easier and learn Mandarin Chinese. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/biggrin.gif)

Personally, I like learning new languages. I know a lot of people just take the required 2 years of a second language in high school and forget it all as fast as they learned it. Too bad.

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #22
Well Germans are not the ones currently overpopulating our country, thank you very much. But truthfully we dont need to know German because most Mexicans cant speak it. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/smile.gif)

Oh and Americans can hardly speak their own language. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
"Wow, fish."
Hahahaha, I crack myself up.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #23
I know, what is up with your accent?? It truly annoys the hell outta me!
How many of you other people can say they speak English natively and are from the UK? I may be Scottish with just as an incomprehensible accent as the Americans among us to you foreigners, but at least I can say mines is better, and without making the T's in better into D's!

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #24
English is my native language, French my secondary language... I've learned it at home, in school, and from some annyoing fat lady (no offense to annoying fat ladies) but it still takes me a while to figure out how to say complex sentences, and to understand anything (I'm not very good at concentrating, anyway). And as for our American accent, hey, it may not be perfect, but it's a hell of a lot easier to understand than most Irish accents...

Stupid British elitists... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__1_files/tongue.gif) just kidding, mostly, sort of, obviously.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.

Pages