To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel...
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by nosreP sdrawkcaB:

I know, what is up with your accent?? It truly annoys the hell outta me!
How many of you other people can say they speak English natively and are from the UK? I may be Scottish with just as an incomprehensible accent as the Americans among us to you foreigners, but at least I can say mines is better, and without making the T's in better into D's!

I fail to see how "american" can be generalized into its own accent. Do you have a microphone on your computer? I'd just like to see you TRY to emulate THE American accent. Within the space of two cities, one will hear two uniquely distinct accents. Take New York and Boston: Neither are particularilly distanced from the other, but both have radically different accents. My point is thus; if you feel like bashing american accents, then at least specify which ones in particular irritate you. (I know for a fact that most midwesterners don't butcher their D's *or* their T's. Sorry.)

PS- "mines"? It is reprehensible to no small degree* to butcher the language like that in a lingual discussion. -_-
(*Motrax, take note- "small degree" fares better in a conversation than "little bit" unless the latter is required by virtue of avoiding redundancy.)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by nosreP sdrawkcaB:

I know, what is up with your accent?? It truly annoys the hell outta me!
How many of you other people can say they speak English natively and are from the UK? I may be Scottish with just as an incomprehensible accent as the Americans among us to you foreigners, but at least I can say mines is better, and without making the T's in better into D's!

This is what I love. You can and will whinge at people for failing to distinguish between an accent from London and an accent from Colchester, and yet the idea of people on opposite ends of half a continent having different accents from one another is simply inconcievable to you IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__2_files/tongue.gif)

And for your information, at least most of us don't eat our Rs and shorten all of our As. Very unsexy.

[ Monday, October 27, 2003 05:17: Message edited by: Saishuu Heiki Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #27
Meh, you should hear ME speaking english.. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards To speak english or not to english speak veeri vel__2_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT

Pages