Do you name your creations?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do you name your creations?
Apprentice
Member # 10546
Profile #0
As a passing interest, I was wondering how many of us change the names of our creations? If you do, what do you change them to, and why? If not, is there a reason, or do you just not consider it worth the bother?

Personally, I always WANT to rename my creations. Unfortunately, I've noticed that when I invest in any sort of name for a creation, I worry too much about keeping them alive, sometimes actually bothering to raise attributes beyond the usual 2 intelligence. As a pro-shaper, I should not feel such attachment to my creations. If/when I play a pro-rebel, I may try investing heavily in just a few creations. For flavour.

Anyone else?

[EDIT: I should probably proofread before I hit post.]

[ Monday, September 17, 2007 15:39: Message edited by: SDThielking ]
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #1
Of course I name my creations. That doesn't mean I get attached to a bunch of numbers and pixels though. However, it's usually in my best interest to keep my creations alive until the rollover into the next chapter where I can Shape better creations to take their place.

--------------------
Fluffy Turtles of the World, Unite!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
I always name my creations. (Incidentally, I always try to keep them alive throughout the entire game, too.) On my last complete playthrough, I had Wildfyre the fyora, Frostbyte the cryoa, Foamy the roamer, Fyrestorm the drayk, Blyzzard the cryodrayk, Lyghtning the kyshakk, and Global Warming the drakon.

Dikiyoba only chose Global Warming because Dikiyoba was at a loss for another name that fit the pattern. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #3
Pyreblast?

--------------------
Fluffy Turtles of the World, Unite!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
I get attached to my creations, but I never name them. Maybe I should...

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
FYI, Iffy is short for Infernal Flamming Muffin.
Apprentice
Member # 10435
Profile #5
Sometimes, if they were created to destroy some specific enemy I give them a name.

[ Monday, September 17, 2007 20:31: Message edited by: Azarr ]
Posts: 21 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 10546
Profile #6
Specific enemy? I can see it now...

A shaper sits between two pools of essence, meditating on the task he will undertake. Before him is a copper circle with gold channeling to direct the flows of energy. The shaper rises to his feet, drawing on his powers and vast knowledge, and essence begins to run from the pools up onto the circle. A massive shape begins to form, growing clearer with every passing minute. It is vaguely humanoid, but built powerfully, with toughened, leathery skin over an almost comically exaggerated skeleton. When the shaping is finished, the enormous Battle Alpha waits patiently for the orders of his master.

"I have a purpose for you, creation, and your name will reflect this. I will call you... Ratsquisher."
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #7
Excuse me while I take a moment and laugh hysterically over that anecdote. (pauses so I can catch my breath)

No creation of mine ever lasts long enough to get named. I prefer to play as a singleton; therefore, I rarely if ever have a creation at my side for long.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #8
In my defense I would like to point out that, uhhh, well I'll just shape a few ornks and maybe gazers and hope it goes away.

On the other note I sometimes name my creations. If I plan on having them arund for a long time I am more likely to name them. But say if I were taking on the Titan, I would probably not take the time.

--------------------
I make guacamole at work
Apprentice
Member # 10546
Profile #9
Oh, I'm sorry, Ratt.
But we shapers don't make mistakes.
You're obviously one of those evil ones that gets into my cornflakes.
No free pass past the Alpha for you.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #10
First off, you are being silly.
AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PERFECTION!
Err...sorry I yelled. But I get sick and tired of people thinging anything is perfect.

Now anyway...

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
FYI, Iffy is short for Infernal Flamming Muffin.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #11
Hmm, what a situation, I think I'll just throw some guacamole at it to distract, blind, or injure it while my ornks dogpile on top of it, and gore its big toe. :P

--------------------
I make guacamole at work
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Azarr:

Sometimes, if they were created to destroy some specific enemy I give them a name.
For instance, I shaped some rotghroth and named them Golem Slayers once. Then I rampaged and killed eleven golems in about ten minutes. But that was in Geneforge 3. :D

--------------------
"I intend to find out who has the most treasure, kill them, take it, and repeat the process."
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #13
I always name my creations, so that I can tell them apart from my foes. E.g. when the game description says "fyora misses (40%)" I want to be sure that's an enemy fyora not my pet.

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I always name my creations. (Incidentally, I always try to keep them alive throughout the entire game, too.) On my last complete playthrough, I had Wildfyre the fyora, Frostbyte the cryoa, Foamy the roamer, Fyrestorm the drayk, Blyzzard the cryodrayk, Lyghtning the kyshakk, and Global Warming the drakon.

Dikiyoba only chose Global Warming because Dikiyoba was at a loss for another name that fit the pattern. Any suggestions?

Global wyrming.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #15
Flamestryke

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
I'd suggest Ynferno, but SoT's idea is better.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
If the Drakon is Global Wyrming, presumably the Artila can be Global Worming.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #18
Armageddyn?
Conflagratyn?

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Look out, there's a three-headed monkey behind you!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #19
quote:
Global Wyrming, Flamstryke, Ynferno, Armageddyn, Conflagratyn..
Anyone here seeing a pattern? :P

[ Saturday, September 22, 2007 15:06: Message edited by: Azuma ]

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
Are you Evil?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
Ragnarotghroth?

Jormunglaahk?

Qiyamahshakk?

Apocavlysh?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #21
I rarley if ever name my creations (mostly because I forget to) When I do I always name them fluffems

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Apprentice
Member # 5650
Profile #22
I'll name them just to keep them organized, and for the same reason Micawber gave. I don't get attached to them because I give them such dopey names that I'm not sorry to see them go. "Damn, there goes Loogie the Searing Artilla. Guess it's time to give Tamari the Vlish a try."

[ Sunday, September 23, 2007 03:41: Message edited by: DokEnkephalin ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #23
I always name my creations. I also occasionally freak out when my first Fyora snuffs it.

With GF1-3 I gave them misplaced names (Charlie the Fyora, Bart the Gazer...) but with GF$ i keep calling most of them ---wyrd , like Flamewyrd, Firewyrd, Wyrdfang... Wierd, wot?

(555)

[ Sunday, September 23, 2007 07:34: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Global wyrming.

Hahahahaha! That's a good one. My pet drakon is now named Global Wyrming. Thanks, SoT!

--------------------
"I intend to find out who has the most treasure, kill them, take it, and repeat the process."

Pages