Best PC class?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Best PC class?
Apprentice
Member # 8229
Profile #25
Could we also add point 5:
Hassle of playing.

Like, easier levels, it may appear little annoying to carry and control an assortment of creatures.
And going harder, it becomes worse to keep loading, and you finally decide you NEED those wingbolt or two:-))))

--------------------
"At ease, guys, it's just some nonsence green wingbolt..."
- Guardian Kantor, Shaper infiltrator forces, last words.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #26
I actually find a do a HUGELY greater number of reloads when running a Lifecrafter. Until Drayks, your creations are quite fragile, and while you can always use tactics to protect a single character, it's harder to keep eight alive every time in a big battle. Even once you hit the tougher creations, occassionally something will manage to die.

A disposable creations model might require even less reloads than a singleton. But that also doesn't require a Lifecrafter. An Infiltrator can run it nearly as well and far more flexibly.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #27
You reload every time one of your Creations is killed? That's a rather silly strategy. I know that you're trying to buff up their levels, but I've found it highly impractical. Given that you're gradually increasing your Shaping skills throughout the game, it's better to just replace weaker creations with Drayks/Wingbolts.

A lifecrafter is dead easy, if you don't coddle your creations. You don't make creations in order to protect them... you make creations so that they will protect you.

I can just imagine Slarty Smirnoff the comedian:

"In your Geneforge game, your creations protect you. But in my game, you protect your creations!"

[ Wednesday, March 28, 2007 17:57: Message edited by: Suspicious Vlish ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #28
I'm baised towards being the lifecrafter/shaper. Just because I like controling huge unstopable armies and a slight god complex.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #29
Isn't the Infiltrator the GF4 version of the Agent?. I've always gone for the Agent even though I think the Lifecrafter has more power. I just can't see myself playing as one. Let along as a Guardian (Soldier). I did try playing as a Lifecrafter on GF2, but I don't really depend on creations and barely use them at all so I went back to my Agent.

[ Wednesday, March 28, 2007 16:10: Message edited by: M. ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #30
I prefer using a shock trooper, but I don't have any objective reason for it. Well, except that I don't mess around with magic in the Geneforge Series much.

Dikiyoba reloads after creation death as well. The creations protect you, you protect the creations, and it all works out.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #31
Dikiyoba:
quote:

I prefer using a shock trooper, but I don't have any objective reason for it.

At least the shock trooper is better than infilitrator or servile.

quote:

Well, except that I don't mess around with magic in the Geneforge Series much.
That's your loss. Magic tends to be far more effective than missiles.

quote:
Dikiyoba reloads after creation death as well. The creations protect you, you protect the creations, and it all works out.

You shape creations for battle, and then protect them? That's contradictory.

Leveling up creations may be effective for the upper tiers which will not be reabsorbed (Drayks, Rotgroths, and Wingbolts). But leveling up a fyora or artila is pure madness.

I tend to reabsorb my creations before receiving any quest experience. This results in a high level shaper with powerful, fresh creations.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #32
Originally by Waylander:

quote:
That's your loss. Magic tends to be far more effective than missiles.
I honestly admit that I play for fun and that fun does not equal pure power or optimization for me. So it's no loss at all.

quote:
You shape creations for battle, and then protect them? That's contradictory.
Not really, since I'm fighting right alongside them. When one starts getting hit too badly, I step forward to take a blow while I heal it, and they take a few blows in battles where I start getting overwhelmed.

quote:
But leveling up a fyora or artila is pure madness.
But it's fun! :P

(And yes, Dikiyoba edited the script so Salassar never damaged himself for that battle.)
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #33
Wow, you must really suck.

Anyone who spends the entire game leveling up a fyora, and who also refers to themselves in third person, is obviously an inferior specimen.

[ Wednesday, March 28, 2007 19:22: Message edited by: Suspicious Vlish ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
Be nice. :(

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #35
I'll have to send my "sucky" Infiltrator out to teach you a lesson, if you don't stop picking on perfectly polite, reasonable, and intelligent people.

>:P

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #36
Your sucky infiltrator doesn't scare me any more than Dicky's fyora.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #37
THAT'S what this series needs: "Geneforge Arena," in which you can send in your suckiest PC's to fight someone else's sucky PC's and see whose really IS suckiest. I'll have Jeff get right on that.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #38
quote:

if you don't stop picking on perfectly polite, reasonable, and intelligent people.

What are you talking about? None of those (excluding myself) are present on this forum.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #39
Synergy just said "Geneforge Arena".

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8229
Profile #40
Won't be possible to do.
Solo'er will always act first (well, unless he's real idiot) and focus lifecrafter's own body.

then it gonan be a matter of pure balance:
can Infi finish Shaper first move first round?
can then all shaper's creations finish Infi in one collective strike?

(I am 100% confident that second turn's Agent attacks WILL kill shaper)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 8229
Profile #41
Just to add to the matter of creatures death:
I prefer runnign a small party of "serious" guys, e.g. leveled with essence.

it takes almost the same ... "qualification" to get any1 of'em killed as to die yourself then.

BTW I do prefer solo strats too. The problem is a common "munchkin's" FunVsEfficency thing imho.

[ Friday, March 30, 2007 04:16: Message edited by: Acidic Helixbolt ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5650
Profile #42
I just finished first playthrough with a solo Infiltrator(agent), as per all the prior games. I did have to adapt a few new strategies, but they were both fun and effective when I had them figured out. Taking apart Titan was easy enough, and finishing off the invading shapers solo, and without reloading or going back for rejuve pools, was pretty satisfying.

I agree that daze is nerfed; it becomes obsolete to the redundant 'major daze' spell rather than gain in power with points spent in mental. This was not an imaginative use of a spell slot. But that's probably what those shapers go through when they have to say goodbye to their initial critter investments for the buff new models as they become available, rather than the later power developing on the earlier.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Waylander:
quote:
But leveling up a fyora or artila is pure madness.
But it's fun! :P

How was the fyora in battle?
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #44
Finished the game with a warrior and a life crafter. Lifecrafters are WAY more powerful.
One thing that really made me love lifecrafters are the essence pools. Essence pools make even pyroroamers useful :) u can send those things out 7 at a time to take care of anything, and essence pools call for an occasion to spawn those charged creations. I know I know warriors can do this too but something about beefing those creations up to the max b4 sending them out and making so many of them...it feels great.

Even wile playing on torment it is easy Just hold your PC back and let your creations do everything if they die chug a few essence pods and make more.

If you are having ANY difficulties with a lifecrafter it is probably because you are not using essence shield or you have moral issues with sending your creations to their doom just to soften up the enemy for a brand new wave.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #45
I think the problem is that some people here who have played a Lifecrafter attempted to preserve their creations, which is both irrational, and a pain in the ass. You learn better and higher level creations throughout the game, so why bother leveling up crappy creations, which also steal a share of EXP gained?

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Apprentice
Member # 2737
Profile #46
They're probably rebels. All concerned with the 'rights' of their creations and not sending them to be killed in purposeless battle.
Apprentice
Member # 8390
Profile #47
I find that suicide squads, while effective, get boring quick.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #48
Originally by Stillness:

quote:
How was the fyora in battle?
I only improved my fyora that much for the purpose of that battle, and it was rather ridiculous in length. The fyora could only do 60-80 in (melee) damage per attack (but it was hasted, so it got two attacks) and Salassar couldn't hit it very often, so it was mostly just sitting back and chipping away at his health. The fyora wouldn't be able to take down Salassar on torment but it can do it consistently on normal.

Mostly Dikiyoba just wanted to see if it was possible.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #49
I like the infiltrator and servile the best, basically because I like to play solo and think of myself as one man (or woman) against the world. Having to sneak around and pick off enemies one by one isn't tedious, it's fun. Sneaking and stealthing are by far the most fun components of Geneforge.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages