Things I learned from playing Geneforge

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Things I learned from playing Geneforge
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #0
Odd things geneforge teaches you:

1 - Books all consist of exactly 5 pieces of paper -- since all paper weighs in at a very heavy 0.2 pounds each and all books weigh only 1 pound.

2 - Books, blocks of stone and bars of iron are all smaller than rings and necklaces (though they do weigh more). You know this b/c the books, iron and blocks can be stuffed into you pack in unlimited quantities, but each ring and necklace takes it's own slot.

3 - Eating is completely optional, but it is good for your health. Drinking is not possible, although you can buy drinks until your money runs out.

4 - As long as they don't see you doing it, no one ever knows if you steal something from them -- even if you immediately turn around and sell it back to them. (I especially love selling Rahul's stuff to Sciolino--I just wish I could be there when his lordship finds all his stuff has been stolen and is sitting in the shop around the corner from his room.)

4b - Even if they see you taking their stuff, there are usually no consequences until you take multiple items.

5 - You can learn to complex forging techniques for powerful items by reading a few scraps of text in forgotten notebooks.

6 - Walking into a nice town will immediately heal all of your wounds and refresh your energy as well. Depleting yourself of any of this easily found energy or health while still in town is permanent until you do something about, including walking out of, and back into, the same town.

7 - No matter how direct your route or how fast you travel, everyone where you're going already knows what you did everywhere else you've been. (This is especially bad when you cure Torsten -- how's his wife know you did it when there's no way they could have talked in the time from when you leave to when you find her again?)

8 - No one minds or notices if you keep asking them the same questions over and over.

8b - Anytime someone asks you a question there are only 3 possible answers.

9 - Even if you've never before seen an item, you will immediately know exactly what it does and how much it is worth.

10 - Killing a creature will sometimes yield it's skin or a piece of it's body, but never leaves more than a bloodstain otherwise.

10b - On rare occasions, the skin a creature drops is actually already formed into a piece of equipment suitable for human dimensions -- even if the creature has few (or no) physical characteristics in common with a human.

11 - Even in the thickest of forests and underground, you never have need of a light or torch of any kind.

[ Wednesday, July 27, 2005 07:34: Message edited by: mok ]
Apprentice
Member # 5980
Profile Homepage #1
Very nice, i had the need of a laugh.

--------------------
[My homepage] - [The Reasoned Character Editor] - [NOSE(Gf3 version)] - [NOSE(Gf2 version)]
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #2
12 - There must be some kind of Unisex in the Geneforge world, because even if described as a "she" some of the people in Geneforge still look exactly like the ones described as a "he".

13 - Shapers must have monopoly on textile industry, because there are only 4-6 diffrent available full sets of clothes in the world.
Going to a masqurade must be boring.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Apprentice
Member # 6128
Profile #3
14- People in the GF3 don't know they are in a game.

15- Shaper are idiots to make dangerous experience that cost life. One day, they create a monster that will rule in the world, slaying humans, off course, the fault is shaper!

16- Shaper don't have a brain either a face, it's just a dark hole.

17- The servant minds can think, but not intelligent :/

--------------------
The Dark rule!
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #4
Servant minds are itelligent just not as much so as a human.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #5
lol That list was very amuzing.

About Servant Minds, they are like computers: very "intelligent" in the areas for which they are designed (running schools, mines, etc.), but very "dumb" in all other areas.

And to add a few more items to that list:

- You can carry 1000lb, as long as you do it slowly.

- However, none of you friends, or pets can carry even a single gemstone, no matter how strong they are.

- Normally, it takes years to master magic, shaping and combat technique. However, you can learn them instantly if you pay the right trainers. (Why couldn't your school hire these trainers and save tons of teaching time?)

- In the course of a few weeks you and your travelling companions can become stronger and better trained than experienced soldiers, who spent their entire lives training and fighting.

[ Wednesday, July 27, 2005 20:55: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #6
22. Nobody cares if you clearly and obviously order one of your pets to sneak into a place where you aren't permitted to be.

23. Trees are impassible barriers, and they always grow in groups of four.

24. You can instantly tell the difference between any two objects, even if they look absolutely identical.

25. Some crystals are considered to be more valueable than others based purely on colour.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #7
26. During a heated battle, your melee charcters typically do NOT take the shortest distance between spaces. They tend turn run a circle around you or an object first.

27. When you die, you can always call up father time to reverse things just a bit to avoid the same result.

28. You can find a rolling pin, scapel, and tea cup in some of the strangest places.

29. No citizen on any isle has a wardrobe. They wear the same piece of rag each and every day. Though they may have a spare shirt or spare pants every now and then. I bet the places really smelled....
Apprentice
Member # 6051
Profile Homepage #8
I don't know what numbers these are:

In Geneforge games, people sleep standing up. There are chairs, but no one sits on them.

No matter what gender your character is, it screams like a man when it dies.

No matter how many creatures you have, you never need a pooper scooper. Leash laws don't apply to you either.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #9
33: There are always two possible ways of approach.

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 14:15: Message edited by: Contra ]

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

[QB]- Normally, it takes years to master magic, shaping and combat technique. However, you can learn them instantly if you pay the right trainers. (Why couldn't your school hire these trainers and save tons of teaching time?)
QB]
In both Geneforge 2 and 3 it is explained that shapers are trained to learn very quickly without need for repetition, but are taught very little early on.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #11
That is from reading books, not from battleing monsters and suddenly learning more about shaping. Makes no sense.

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
These are aspects of the game that I've always found amusing, and it's great to see this list!

I guess this is where the whole "suspension of disbelief" comes into effect. Or, as it's known in more mundane circles, "the imagination." Just pretend such things aren't so. Games are a limited medium, and if every effort was made to make them ultrarealistic they'd be so dull and tedious that they wouldn't be worth playing. The player fills in the gaps and glosses over errors in logic caused by limitations of the medium.

EDIT: Incidentally, it's this that makes mediocre games like Galactic Core worth playing: a heavy dose of imagination, and the ability to enjoy the quirks rather than just be annoyed by them.

[ Friday, July 29, 2005 16:24: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #13
34. When pickups are wounded on Harmony Isle, they will still survive after walking across the island, rowing a boat to the next island, and walking across to rest.

35. You can walk over terrain a million times and not leave a single footprint or trace that you've been there.

36. You don't have to pick up your feet to walk, so you basically shuffle.

[ Saturday, July 30, 2005 15:45: Message edited by: Fire Shards ]

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Apprentice
Member # 6163
Profile #14
37. whatever you choose to be in reality you are always female in the game.

[ Sunday, July 31, 2005 01:07: Message edited by: catspeak ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #15
..Huh?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5931
Profile #16
:D Very Amusing!

Other things I've noticed..

Money weighs nothing. Wonder what it's made of? (that change in my purse gets awfully heavy after a few dollars but the character can carry 16,000+ and not notice?) :eek:

Pods and pouches weigh very little while food, herbs, saltweed and wiry moss are heavy in comparison. (takes less of those to equal one pound than it does pods/pouches) :confused:

Characters being right in front of a rogue still can't hit it with a sword. :mad:
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by NanaBanana:

Money weighs nothing. Wonder what it's made of?

This was sort of discussed once before. Student of Trinity thought the shaper economy was entirely online. My thought is that you're using a special type of debit card which, when touched to another debit card (such as one you find on a freshly killed servile or in an unsuspecting person's cabinet) instantly transfers all the contents from one to the other. Conveniently, the debit card has no weight. Perhaps b/c in the world of the shapers the debit card has been joined to your arm in some way so you never notice the weight. (and when you go into a cabinet and take money, you are actually touching your debit "arm" to some grisly token chunk of something dead which still had some money on it).
Apprentice
Member # 5931
Profile #18
ROTFL mok!

Another thing I noticed but hadn't mentioned.

I've cleaned out 3 islands of rogues, spawners and creators but when I go back to the earlier islands, they are still soooo busy cleaning up the stragglers. :confused:

I know they were all dead when I left and a quick turn around the islands reveal no more rogues. (methinks they are just too lazy (and skeered) to get out and help me clean up the other places. :P
Apprentice
Member # 5652
Profile #19
38. you can dump all your loot to create a 15 foot wide pile on the floor, yet it all fits nicely in your pockets without a single bulge

39. your left hand is never used, it just kinda hangs limply by your side, withering away

40. When you lie to someone to protect a servile, they can somehow tell (Although they don't tell YOU) and they tell everyone else on the island, although the servile remains perfectly fine.

--------------------
"Many minds make quick work of uncertainty"
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #20
40b. If you kill a group of people and hurry back to the opposing group, they will already know although no messenger exists.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #21
Well as for when you lie to protect a servile, I assume that word about you liking serviles comes from the servile talking about you, not his keeper.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #22
40c No matter how difficult the quest, no one ever doubts you when you claim to have completed it. It's like they have independent confirmation for everything you do...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 5946
Profile Homepage #23
41. Leadership means you can lie and get away with it.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #24
41b: If you can lie and get away with it, wh don't this independant source of information blow your cover?

--------------------

Pages