How exactly does Trajkov stay sane?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How exactly does Trajkov stay sane?
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #0
When playing through the different endings in GF1..
I noticed that Trajkov was the only person able to control himself after he used the geneforge. I know that your character can't control himself, and goes mad, and don't even start talking about Goesstch, hes crazy even before he uses the geneforge (if you get that ending). The only person able to keep his humanity intact is Trajkov, which is quite odd, being that he is already heavily modified, and doesn't have the type of training your character does. (And don't even talk about Goesstch).

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #1
Well the lame and often used explanation is just that some people are more effected mentally than others by canisters and the geneforge.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #2
He doesn't stay sane. His insanity doesn't show as much, that's all.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
His search for power seems less self-centered than the others. He's considered the plight of the Takers and other serviles and decided he's going to improve their life by using the Geneforge, overthrowing the Shapers, and creating a new empire. Everyone else just wants an empire so they can rule.

He also seems like a sensible person. He knew when to stop using canisters because they were causing him problems. He was a good enough leader to be chosen to lead the expedition and to keep all of the canister-crazed Sholai following him instead of going off on their own.

Dikiyoba thinks one or both of those reasons might explain why he stays sane.

[ Wednesday, January 03, 2007 17:30: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #4
I agree with Dikiyoba on this one. Trajkov stayed sane after using the Geneforge because he had an extraordinary strength of character and will.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
In other words, the explanation basically boils down to "he's just that badass".

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #6
I think it may have something to do with the fact he's used so many canisters that they just don't affect him any more. He certainly did not display the easily provoked tendencies of most other canister users.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #7
Another thing I noticed is that if you ask him to use it once he has, he says the power would overwhelm you...
How exactly does he figure that out?

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

He doesn't stay sane. His insanity doesn't show as much, that's all.
You have an unusual definition of insane. Trajkov behaves in a sane manner (according to the game canon) yet underneath he is a fruitcake (according to you). Most people consider insanity to be when people are not in control, so aren't responsible for their behaviour. Trajkov is well in control, even after using the Geneforge.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
Point taken, and hence my signature too. Had you met some of the people I know, you'd understand.

Being hellbent on a task can also be construed as insanity. That's why I say he's off his rocker and halfway across the room, even though he's fully aware and in control of his actions.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #10
Tarkov learend a way to control his impulsions that is quite unusuall quality in a man so even with power he sees that he is not all powerfull and stays open and a man of his word .
I will kill him on 99°/° of chances.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #11
Its Trajkov!TRAJKOV!Thou shall spell his name correctly damnit! (To be honest I don't really care :P )

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #12
Buuhhha!!!!!!! he screambed at me for misbelling Trajkov!!BUHAAA!!! i wan't my mumy!!

[ Friday, January 05, 2007 10:56: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Apprentice
Member # 7866
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

Buuhhha!!!!!!! he screambed at me for misbelling Trajkov!!BUHAAA!!! i wan't my mumy!!
Urmmm... Buh?

As far as Trajkov goes, i think he only seems sane because he is less insane than those around him (including your character.) He also seems to have a better conditioned mind, viz., he knows to stop using the canisters before they destroy his humanity, he isn't consumed by powerlust, and he just acts very differently from his troops. This could also be merely because your character has a badly conditioned mind and gets hit by the powerlust, etc.

On a slightly related note, has anyone ever tried to play through the game without using any canisters?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Sven_v2.0_LITE:

On a slightly related note, has anyone ever tried to play through the game without using any canisters?
With a Guardian, it's entirely possible (although not easy). With other classes... not so much.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #15
mars:
quote:

I note that the above poster has been 'Canned'. Why? He provides a constant source of comic relief.

[ Saturday, January 06, 2007 02:17: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

*gives opon mars a chocolate-chip cookie*There there...

*looks at quote*

*edits the quote*

quote:
Edited Quote:
Buuhhha!!!!!!! he screamed at me for mispelling Trajkov!!BUHAAA!!! i wan't my mummy!!

[ Saturday, January 06, 2007 06:17: Message edited by: Tarrasque ]

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
Originally by Waylander:

quote:
I note that the above poster has been 'Canned'. Why? He provides a constant source of comic relief.
There is a fine line between unintentional humor and annoying spam.

Edit: Almost forgot. Welcome to Spiderweb Software, Sven. Leave your sanity at the door. (Keep enough to remain coherent, though.)

Dikiyoba.

[ Saturday, January 06, 2007 08:42: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
Tarrasque, you missed an error in the edited quote.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Leave your sanity at the door. (Keep enough to remain coherent, though.)
Now I get the warning, after it's too late.

When I first came in, I left my marbles at the coat check. But when I went back to use them for a moment, I discovered there was a hole in the bag, and they'd all fallen out. So if you see any marbles lying around, let me know, they're probably mine.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Tarrasque, you missed an error in the edited quote.
Three, actually. It should read:
quote:
Buuhhha!!!!!!! He screamed at me for mispelling Trajkov!! BUHAAA!!! I want my mummy!!
*cough*
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Leave your sanity at the door. (Keep enough to remain coherent, though.)
As readers of your story would probably know full well, I was mauled by fluffy turtles for keeping a bit of sanity on me. So that may not be a good idea.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #21
So sorry about that Nioca

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #22
Thanks for the cookie i came back now this chapter is officially closed end of story.
But do you what a full of saliva cookie Nocia?

[ Friday, January 12, 2007 09:56: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
Okay, three things:

1. The best way to end a subject of discussion is to not post in it, especially if it's a several day old topic.

2. It's Nioca, not Nocia. He likes it spelled correctly.

3. Dikiyoba lied; there is no third thing.
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #24
quote:
don't even start talking about Goesstch, hes crazy even before he uses the geneforge (if you get that ending).
Just out of curiosity, what exactly happened in that ending? Every time I played GF1 I killed him. After all, what use is he?

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)

Pages