Character Names

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Character Names
Apprentice
Member # 6161
Profile #25
One agent is named AEther, from aether. Unfortunately the untypable letter ae looks extremely detached in its capital form. The other is named Smith.

Once my shapers bore names like Alexander, Gabriel or Salam. After many trials of humiliation to those unhappy apprentices, they are called Tom, David or Oliver.

The creations are named rogue fyora, unstable roamer, infested drayk etc as their classifications present themselves; the three exceptions being Demon Eye, Venom Eye and Lemon Eye.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

It was late, I had drank entirely to much coffee, and I realised that the island was full of ghosts and spirits.

So I named my Guardian Shaggy, and my only creation was a Roamer named Scooby.

I did think about a Thahd named Fred though.

Is it somehow possible to rename Alwan and Greta? Alwan is a better Shaggy. And he deserves to be named Shaggy.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

It was late, I had drank entirely to much coffee, and I realised that the island was full of ghosts and spirits.

So I named my Guardian Shaggy, and my only creation was a Roamer named Scooby.

I did think about a Thahd named Fred though.

Is it somehow possible to rename Alwan and Greta? Alwan is a better Shaggy. And he deserves to be named Shaggy.

Yes, you can rename them.

Is Greta a Velma or a Daphne?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #28
Originally by Delicious Vlish:

quote:
Is Greta a Velma or a Daphne?
Probably a Velma.

Incidently, I'm replaying G1 as a shaper with fyora graphics* named Dikiyoba and supported by a normal fyora named Dikiyora. As soon as I can, I'm getting a cryoa named Dikiyoa.

*Changing the graphics is surprisingly easy. Only one of the downsides of this is that Dikiyoba can't equip weapons of any sort.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #29
You could upgrade your own graphics as you gain levels, finishing as a Drakon.

It would be sort of fun to hack the game so that you played as a Gazer, with edited dialog so that the game still worked, but everyone was duly unnerved. Shopkeepers could say things like, "AAAAAAAAHHHH A HORRIBLE THING HAS FLOATED INTO MY SHOP!!!! But a customer is a customer ...".

Or alternatively you could play some sort of gnawing worm thing, and everyone would remark on how weird it was that a worm could talk, but then just despise you; it would make it very satisfying to kill them.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7167
Profile #30
I always play a Blue Shaper and name him after me (cause I have a cool name :P ) Well anyway you may have already guessed this, but my name is Imran. Thats what I name my Shapers, Imran.

--------------------
Apprentice: Whats that canister thingy?
Shaper Teacher: Do not touch it or else i will!...I will!
Appprentice: Will what?
Shaper Teacher: Well im so weak i cant hurt you so...
I WILL MAKE MY LVL 100 UR-DRAKON KILL YOU!!!
*Apprentice uses canister*
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #31
Originally by Student of Trinity:

quote:
"AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! A HORRIBLE THING HAS FLOATED INTO MY SHOP!!!! But a customer is a customer..."
Technically, very few people have seen a eyebeast, so people should already be saying it whenever a character with an eyebeast enters.

quote:
You could upgrade your own graphics as you gain levels, finishing as a Drakon.
Except that I'm playing G1, and I didn't touch any graphic files, just the main data file. So it would be impossible. I could probably turn my character into a drakon for G2 or G3, though. I haven't actually tried it yet.

Dikiyoba just doesn't have the proper motivation for it yet. Dikiyoba likes fyoras much better.
Apprentice
Member # 7385
Profile #32
I'm not really that creative with my character names, (though this thread has inspired me to name my upcoming bullseye shaper more creatively.) but my creations are always named *blank* the *blank*, where both start with the same letter. IE: Freddy the Fyora, Charlie the Cryoa, Eddie the Eyebeast, Bobby the Battle Beta, etc.

--------------------
The Lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.

Live forever or die trying!
Apprentice
Member # 7385
Profile #33
Sorry for the double post, but I just wrote a script for Samuel Stoddard's Fantasy Name Generator to generate Geneforge-ish names. The name generator allows you to write "templates" for names, so here's mine:

Copy the following into the 'Advanced Interface' text box, and click the button.
<B|>(a|e|i|o|u)<(r)(d|t|k|||)|(n)(d|t|k|||)|(l)(d|t|k|||)|(t|k)|(t|k)|(t|k)>v<C|>To generate more names, just go back and press the button again.

--------------------
The Lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.

Live forever or die trying!
Apprentice
Member # 7392
Profile #34
I always name my characters either Akiro (Guardian or Shaper) and Keicia (Agent). I've once tried different names, but either they couldn't fit in, or they were nonsense.

--------------------
If there was only one last shaper alive on Sucia Island...

~Formerly known as Genexile~
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #35
I tend to name them after foreign soccer players. Tugay, Kerimoglu, Sjaak, Henok, Beto, Hagi, Hristo.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #36
For some reason I always name my first fyora Charlie. Don't ask me why, ask my shaper. He made Charlie, after all, and cloned him into a cryoa.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #37
I have no imagination whatsoever.

Usually I name my characters:

- Darth Revan
- Magneto
- Waylander
- Morningstar
- Barzhal

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Apprentice
Member # 7373
Profile #38
I like to come up with personalities for my Shapers. I've currently got two GF3 games going at once, one pro-rebel and the other pro-Shaper. My pro-rebel Shaper is named Forqueray, after an alien in an Alastair Reynolds novella, and my anti-rebel Shaper is named Dariusz, for no reason in particular. Forqueray is swishy and gay and looks like Austin Scarlett. Dariusz is a humorless sociopath with an eyepatch. When I'm playing him, I usually go out of my way to kill everything possible and kick puppies and stuff.

And whenever I'm playing an Agent, I call him Jack Bauer. Because when you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer let you wake up.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #39
Good name cuz we all know that Jack Bauer can't die, he just gets tortured in some way every 15 minutes...

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #40
quote:
It would be sort of fun to hack the game so that you played as a Gazer, with edited dialog so that the game still worked, but everyone was duly unnerved. Shopkeepers could say things like, "AAAAAAAAHHHH A HORRIBLE THING HAS FLOATED INTO MY SHOP!!!! But a customer is a customer
I've thought about doing something like that. If I did, would anybody be interested?

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Apprentice
Member # 7364
Profile #41
i usellely name my guardians slayer,reaper,death,or Guardian.

i never have played an agent so i don't have a name for one.

the names for my shapers are Geneforge,or grim.

--------------------
You have not seen until you have crossed over to the darkness and power.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #42
Over time, I have simply fallen in love with the names Gharzad and Rentar. (yes, Garzahd is spelled wrong, but ever since I started spelling it that way, it stuck) I now use these names for any game that is not Avernum. In Geneforge, both make appropriate shaper names. However, what I really love is when someone recognizes them in an online game, such as World of Warcraft.

As for Guardians, Dugrukore, Gone'krigar and Corgrinoba strike me as worthey warrior names. For agents, which are no fun to play anyway, short names like Gaille, Cyne and Tak will suffice.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #43
I prefer simple names. Currently I have a Shaper named Felix and a Guardian named Gottfried.

Sometimes, however, a simple Bob, Leroy, or George will do.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #44
That reminds me. Was anyone else weirded out when they met the mage named Erika in G3 (in Greiner's Camp)?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7333
Profile #45
I have a rotgroth named Betelguese and a drakon named Sauron. I named my Shaper "Essex" after Nathaniel Essex, Mr. Sinister from X-Men. Creating an army of dispoable minions that obey your every whim reminded me of something Mr. Sinister would do.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #46
I name Shapers Faust (The one who..you know what he did.)

I name Guardians Valcrist (GO L.O.M.!!)
And I don't use Agents..

Mine creation's name is usually from Pokemon or Digimon except for mine Eyebeasts which are named AdolfHitler. My Thads are sometimes named Bush..

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

That reminds me. Was anyone else weirded out when they met the mage named Erika in G3 (in Greiner's Camp)?
Yes! I especially liked it when she fought with you (or against you) later on. That Erika, always fighting for what she believes in. I was going to propose to Erika Redmark, but then she was killed. Now, I think I might propose to the one who killed her.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #48
Umm, like, I'm not trying to say a whole lot, but it might like, um, not be nearly such an ego-stroking consideration in G4 what to name your happy little scampering pets.

This might have been a post by:

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt

Pages