Does anyone else notice the lack of scenarios?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Does anyone else notice the lack of scenarios?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #0
When I first downloaded Boa I was pleasantly suprised to find the scenarios coming in quite fast but lately the flow of scenarios seems to have run dry...not even a small scenario...

I probably shouldn't be complaining because evey scenario I have tried to make has failed miserably to be anything at all.

I guess theres nothing to do untill a new scenario comes out except to to go outside and mindlessly kill hords of innocent people out of boredom.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Dude, you're late. :P

In seriousness, though, let's do some figuring. BoE has on the order of 230 or so scenarios released in seven years. That's an average of a little over 30 per year. Of those scenarios, according to the CSR statistics, about 70 are worth playing (7.0 or above). That means about 10 decent scenarios per year. That means a bit less than 1 decent scenario per month.

Now factor in that BoA scens take longer to make by a factor about two or three -- because of the added capabilities, creature scripts and terrain scripts and the like, and the more complicated graphics -- and that it takes a lot longer to learn the editor than it did for BoE, so that newcomers will be considerably less likely to finish a scenario than they were in BoE. Consider also that many of the big-name designers from BoE are away or busy right now.

As an opposing factor, take into account the built-in audience already existing and having these forums in which to discuss, seek help, seek testers, etc.

All told, I'm expecting about a total of five decent scenarios by the end of the year. Ten would be an incredible showing. Three would be not unlikely.

And by "decent," I mean better than anything we have right now that's not among the pre-packaged scens.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #2
Add to that that only recently the windows version was released. :)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
Annoying little conundrum...
GENERALIZATIONS:

People register BoA to play custom scenarios.
People register BoA to create custom scenarios.
A lack of scenarios out discourage people from registering, and therefore creating.
If everyone who has registered would make a good scenario at least as good as the included ones, things would improve.

It is harder to learn Avernumscript than it is to learn how to click on nodes.
It can be tedious to define custom objects 1 by 1 if you don't have a good text editor.
Dialogue is much more complex than before.

Hard things discourage the faint of heart.
Hard things motivate determined creators.
Hard work makes a great work.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Keep:

Hard things discourage the faint of heart.
Hard things motivate determined creators.
Hard work makes a great work.

Amen. :cool:

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
Actually, I had a little scenario, but my brother deleted it from my computer in a mad rage. It was Babysitting size, and quite poor though...

Now, I am making a self-proclaimed masterpiece. It should be ready in about three weeks. (Read: Seven months!)

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #6
I guess I registerd thinking about constantly being able to download scenarios because of being able to put the BOE scenarios onto it.

...turns out its alot harder than it seems...

I should probably try and make my own scenario but everything I make turns out crap even compared to the scenarios out now(which are surprisingly good for how quick they arrived)
Apprentice
Member # 4183
Profile #7
*doesn't understand why BOE scenarios aren't ported over*
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #8
Because porting a BoE scenario is boring. There's nothing new.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Warrior
Member # 2838
Profile #9
The main reason is because the editor is not user friendly. It almost like programming. In Blades of Exile you used an interface that made things easier.

--------------------
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : :: o`-, … I'm under your bed.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #10
quote:
The main reason is because the editor is not user friendly
The editor IS user friendly. It is just selective when choosing friends :P .
I don't have any problems with the editor.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #11
Oh no, the BoE editor was monolithic and made my hands hurt from all the clicking. Same with the BoA editor, I guess, but it just seems better for some reason. But with a big effort, we could add tons of useful features to it. Heck, we already have the source code!

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
NO, I DID NOT NOTICE THE LACK OF SCENARIOS.

THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4708
Profile #13
I'm still playing the scenarions that came with the game (ZKR at the moment). I'm actually impressed how many scenarios were made already (I hope to the Windows version) if you think of all the work involved.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #14
I bought BoA in the hopes of finally getting down to making that scenario. Then I took one look at the editor and got discouraged. So now I wait desperately for any BoA scenarios to come out, while regretfully playing a few BoE scenarios. Jeez, I really hope somebody has more patience than I do with scenario creation.

Fortunately, the game play already looks so good graphically, you won't be able to tell a scenario sucks unless it REALLY sucks. It's a lot easier to tell that the walls in 'The Icy Tunnels' are perfectly square in BoE than in BoA.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by nearly everyone:

I bought BoA in the hopes of finally getting down to making that scenario. Then I took one look at the editor and got discouraged.
This is why scenarios aren't coming out faster.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #16
[quote]I bought BoA in the hopes of finally getting down to making that scenario. Then I took one look at the editor and got discouraged.[/quote]But if they made it simpler then there wouldnt be any decent scenarios when they came out.
Apprentice
Member # 2363
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
But if they made it simpler then there wouldnt be any decent scenarios when they came out.
Pfft. There are great BoE scenarios and BoE scenario creation is "simpler" than BoA scenario creation. The plot and balance are far more important than a tricky script-toy.

That being said... I'd like to write a scenario, and I'll probably start in a week or two. I played through three of the four built-in ones (didn't play ZKR) to get a feel for the graphics. I still need to learn more of the scripting language before I hurl myself in. I already have a plotline and scrawled map at least.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #18
Good to hear about that scenario being made...
Hopefully it'll mean that we'll get to see a fresh, new and hopefully decent scenario in a few months.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #19
At this point in my boredom, I'll play any scenario, no matter how bad it is. But be warned, if it's bad, it gets a bad review.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #20
The editor just doesn't have all the user-friendly features that larger budget games would have. Like an overall view of all the outdoors, names associated with the towns when you switch to them, pop-up tooltips, quick navigation shortcuts, multiple selection, large indicators to tell you what mode you are in, etc.

I'd get down to making a scenario if only I HAD THE GAME!

--------------------
====
====
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #21
I'm practicing with dungeons. Then I'm going to learn dialouge scripting.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Keep:

large indicators to tell you what mode you are in
What, small indicators aren't good enough for you? Actually, when I think about it, you're right. They aren't good enough.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #23
Waiting for Stareye's A Perfect Forest to come out and maybe someone's joke about The Man Valley Adventures. Hmm, jumping for any testing which comes along as well. Hah :eek:

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 4665
Profile #24
I'm willing to donate ideas to anyone who needs them(for the very small and reasonable fee of giving me some credit for it)

--------------------
Soy sauce makes everything better. Except for Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders. Soy sauce makes Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders all sticky. And it makes them smell funny. But soy sauce makes everything else better. Just not Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders.

Pages