Palm Sunday

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Palm Sunday
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #75
You're not supposed to eat shellfish.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #76
Ooook. First of all, I apologize to Alec. I really never saw that, and if I had I would have remembered it. As you can see, I sometimes don't have enough time to read every post of every topic.

Sorry, I was in a computer class earlier when I started this and I didn't realize the bell was about to ring. Anyway...

Actually that's all I have to say right now... since I can't read the topic while I'm editing... =\ I'll post soon, don't worry.

[ Wednesday, April 30, 2003 15:13: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #77
All kinds of Old Testament laws were lost in the switch to Christianity. Of course, many of them are also redundant and even nonsensical. I have yet to be given a good explanation of why it is unacceptable to God to own land or live in Egypt.

—Alorael, who takes the view that God would rather have good people than good followers of the letter of the law. Especially since it's quite easy to overlook one commandment or another.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #78
I'm okay, Sir David. As a matter of fact, I actually find you mistaking me for an atheist / satanist / baby-sacrificer / &c to be kinda flattering. I'm in good company, I imagine.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #79
While we're on the subject of wacky Old Testament hijinx, suprisingly few people point out how riddled it is with false prophecies. Supposedly, Mesopotamia should have been uninhabitable to everything but dragons for thousands of years. No wonder Iraq is so much trouble.

--------------------
We were once Mao
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #80
Well I was just listening to my fathers ignorant biosed belifs for a half an hour. But when I heard Mr. X theory that Mother Theresa was a demented person I see why he's so conservative. How dare you call a soon to be Saint a demented person. You are a biosed ignorant Devile Worshiping bastard Mr X. I hope God strikes you dead with a lightning bolt.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #81
Get a hold on yourself, JF. He didn't say that. He said that she had close contact to the demented albinian dictator.

But that was not what I wanted to know. I asked you why people who do not hold Christmas and Easter sacred hate Mother Theresa. I did not understand that.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #82
However, mesopotamia is where civilization first developed. Dragons, indeed :P

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #83
Well, it is all desert.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #84
No it's not. It's part of the fertile crescent, where many of our agricultural crops (wheat, beans, etc) were first 'domesticated'. It's where irrigation was first developed. Baghdad is still, despite decades of mismanagement and spotty public utilities, surrounded by lush gardens.
The plains of the Tigris and Euphrates have always been agricultural paydirt.
Those plains are sourrounded by desert, however, that's true.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #85
Constantine is a saint. Edward the Confessor is a saint. Vladimir I is an (Orthodox) saint.

All these people were guilty of cold-blooded murder, in the case of the first and third of close relations. Yet they're still saints. In many ways, they're saints because of political expediency. To a lesser extent, when Mother Theresa is canonised, it'll be politically expedient as she's someone a great many people revere. But she was only human. And humans aren't perfect.

Nor for that matter is X conservative. Or ignorant or biased. You've exhibited all those qualities and done so with much less eloquence than X. Although I couldn't say for sure that he'll quibble over the devil-worship bit.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #86
I thought Mesopotamia had become more desertified over the past four thousand years or so. It may still have fertile parts, but when it was busy being the cradle of civilization it had far more arable land than it does now.

—Alorael, who doesn't know much about Mother Theresa at all. But just because one organization honors you doesn't make you a wonderful person. Various churches have stood behind many of the worst humans ever to live, and religion in general has caused more than its share of wars and suffering.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #87
The three mentioned are only saints in the Orthodox or Anglican churches.

Don't blast Mother Teressa. Don't. Go. There. There are somethings I take seriously, other things I don't care about. This is one that I don't want baseless slander thrown about on.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Apprentice
Member # 1705
Profile #88
I SAW A PIC OF HER ON A CINAMMON BUN ONCE IT WAS SO CREEPY I GOT CHILLS

EDIT: HERES A LINK http://www.bongojava.com/nunbun.html

--------------------
It's my life
And it's now or never
'Cause I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just want to live while I'm alive
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #89
Yeah... amen to that, Ikari.

And JF, please calm down a bit. What he said was a pretty dumb thing to say, but don't let your anger control you please.

Alec, you know very well that none of those, besides atheist, is something I really thought you were. I assumed you were mature enough to take a joke, with the singing to the devil thing, but apparently not.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #90
You know what never fails to make me laugh? When people operate under the misconception that Atheist = Satanist. Atheism and Satanism are two entirely different faiths (yes, I do consider Atheism a faith, and therefore I capitalize it; let others do as they wish with it) with really no connection. Atheists believe that there is no God, and hence no Satan--no higher power, no lower power. That's how I've always operated. Even back in the day when I did believe in God, I never believed in hell or Satan, so I was never too worried. Satanists, on the other hand...I don't really know all that much about Satanism, but I doubt that there are really all that many Satanists who sacrifice goats and drink the blood of children and whatever else people think about them. But Atheists are not Satanists, for the simple reason that they don't believe in Satan.

And just for the record: Wicca and Satanism are decidedly not the same thing either. Don't even make me go there.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #91
Why do you consider Mother Theresa "untouchable"? I don't know much about Mother Theresa, and consider her to be a good person, but if someone offers me evidence to the contrary, I will agree with them.

I will not, however, accuse them of lying, being stupid or idiotic, satan-worshippers or madmen. X has always seemed like a reasonable person, and probably has some very good reasons (and evidence) for his beliefs.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #92
Thanks for the fan mail, JF - seems you're in the same club as the late Malcolm Muggeridge. Still waiting for that lightning bolt.... :D
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #93
God's got so lax on the smiting side of his job...it all went downhill from the Old Testament.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #94
Yes, we need more smiting of unbelievers, heretics, infidels, sinners and everyone else.

If God doesn't get his act together, he'll end up being sacked, and then he'll have to go begging on the streets, or perhaps work in a circus freakshow.

[Edit, and on a more serious note]:

I imagine the Mother Teresa stuff is along the lines of this (If you are going to be offended by negative views of people, don't click it).
Whether it is true or not, I don't know (since I am neither a psychic nor an investigative reporter), but I would be interested in seeing something countering that link, if anyone has better knowledge of it than me.

[ Friday, May 02, 2003 10:02: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #95
My view is that the Old Testament was God's equivalent of the terrible twos. Now that he has matured a bit, he doesn't need to throw tantrums and divine wrath around. Instead, he has catchy slogans, reward systems (and punishment systems), and other more diplomatic ways to catch more worshippers.

—Alorael, who does agree that a few good miracles would work wonders for God's PR image. He just doesn't seem to care about customer service as much any more, or at least not in the flashy, extravagant, reviving of the dead way he used to.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #96
Maybe he's gone from teenage power-tripping, through to middle age kindness, and ending in old-age apathy?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #97
I have nothing to counter it, Koth. I find it easy to believe what the article tells, as it is perfectly in tune with the catholic church's financial politics over the course of centuries. Nothing is said about who Mother Theresa really was as a person, away from stating that she adamantly abided by the strictest traditions and rules laid out for monasteries.

Purification through suffering is still seen as a virtue in quite a few catholic families. I know several, who only feel 'good', when they sacrifice themselves in one way or other.

--------------------
Polaris
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #98
All you people ever talk about is Christiniaty. How about mentioning a few more religions than just the one that always gets the attention? Doesn't anyone else here belong to a minority?

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #99
If you want your religion mocked too, just ask.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door

Pages