Palm Sunday

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Palm Sunday
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #0
What does Palm Sunday mean to you? I know it's kind of late, though (for this topic).

[ Sunday, April 20, 2003 15:54: Message edited by: Party Animal ]

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #1
Being dragged off to church. Or was that yesterday? Time has been flying.

IMAGE(http://www.nolfgirl.com/gameinfo/nolf/newbies/animate/animated4.gif)

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #2
For me, it's going to church, getting palm leaves, sitting there for an hour, and going home. I'm semi-agnostic. Sometimes I'm Christian, sometimes I don't care either way. Lately, it's been the latter.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Absolutely nothing, aside from the fact that I still can't eat bread. The Passover seder is great, but the following week isn't.

—Alorael, who wishes everyone a very happy Palm Sunday (in retrospect) and Easter anyway, whether or not they are Christian.

[ Sunday, April 20, 2003 16:08: Message edited by: Alorael ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #4
Wow. You must really enjoy making topics.
Palm Sunday means nothing for me. I'm not even sure what it is.

--------------------
Aces off.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #5
To me Palm Sunday is the anniversity of the day Jessus Christ rode into Jerusilum and a few days later would die. I have a fasination with the end of the Gospel. To me the Gospel is a really good story and a very interesting biography. I personally feel that the Gospel is the greates book ever written. To me it's a tale of loyalty, betrayal, decite and love. It's moral is basically to know who your friends are and to know who your enemys are. It's a very easy thing to get your friends and enemys confussed. I have had friends who betrayed me and turned out to be my enemys. But Jessus knew who is betrayer was, thats why I respect Jessus so much. He knew who was his enemy and who was his friend. I wish I could be more like Jessus in knowing who my friends and enemys are.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally posted by JF:
I personally feel that the Gospel is the greates book ever written.
I suggest you try The lord of the Rings, Stormbringer, Captain Corellis's Mandolin and many more.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #7
well to me Palm Sunday is just ordinary day

--------------------
I am the one and only Wizard!
WIZ GAMEZ The place to get the most recent gaming news! And now it has new layout!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #8
It would seem that there is a general lacking of Christian response here.. dont know if that ties in with anything else.

Being Christian myself, my response would most likely correlate with that of JF (although i'd hope that my spelling would be somewhat better)

Palm Sunday is indeed the celebration of when Jesus entered Jerusalem (on a donkey's back... as the songs and whatnot go...)

It is also symbolic as the defitinitive start of Jesus last week (not including the resurrection and ascension) If you will, Jesus entry into Jerusalem could be said to be the beginning of the end, although many (bad, bad) people would argue that his birth was such point.

It is a good celebration, a joyous one at that.

-belated easter wishes to all-

--------------------
Believing is seeing.
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #9
I'm christian, but my family doesn't go to church or whatever.. Let's just say that religion ain't that important part of our every-day-life, although my grandpa is a priest and all.. ;)
So, Palm Sunday, is just an ordinary day in my life.. Except that I just ate a huge easter bunny made of choke-o-lade.

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
Is that anything like lemonade? :P

My response is the same as Alorael's. But I don't mind not eating bread - I could eat matzah brei three meals a day.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #11
I thought it woz called Palm Sunday because all the brothers were giving Jesus hi-5s on the way into Jerusalem.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #12
Nono, he was greasing the palms of all the money lenders in the temple. Another example of big business meddling in politics/religion.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #13
To me, palm Sunday is just another day.

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Warrior
Member # 2871
Profile #14
I'm very sorry too say this, but I feel offended at Ooklah the Moc's statement. I'm a devout Christian, and that is a direct insult to my God (greasing the palms of the money lenders).

--------------------
H-E-L-P. I think my alphabet soup is trying to tell me something.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #15
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but as long as he's not coming outright and saying "Christians are stupid" or some such like, he's allowed to say it.

Palm Sunday used to mean something to me, as I spent a goodly portion of my life at Catholic school getting beaten over the head by crazy nuns. Now I'm agnostic and traumatized, and don't celebrate Christian holidays that aren't Easter or Christmas.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #16
Palm Sunday means the same thing to me as it does to JF and kuc, as I am a Christian as well.

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally posted by Darkwind K'sheyna:
I'm very sorry too say this, but I feel offended at Ooklah the Moc's statement.
I'm sure you are.
quote:
I'm a devout Christian,
I'm sure you are.
quote:
and that is a direct insult to my God (greasing the palms of the money lenders).
I'm sure it is.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #18
Passover started on the second or third day of vacation (I've already forgotten!). It's an awful thing to eat only salad for lunch when there are hamburgers, hot dogs, pizzas, pasta, etc. available.

Oh well, matzah with chocolate spread (Nutella) is quite the best tasting food in existence.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #19
Darkwind, not everyone is Christian and not everyone is as devout as you are. It was meant as a joke (I think) and just let it slide. I always operate on the belief that they are just don't know any better. Somebody calls me a Muslim Suicide Bomber or whatever, I just let it slide because whoever said it is unable or unwilling to learn a teeny bit of knowledge, the knowledge being that Muslims detest violence (although that hasn't stopped many "religious leaders" from declaring war on people of their own religion).
Nutshell: Don't get so ticked off when someone makes an off-color comment.

EDIT: wouldn't it be nice if Palm Sunday meant getting free computers?

[ Monday, April 21, 2003 22:00: Message edited by: Party Animal ]

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #20
I have to say, I detest Easter. Everyone else munches on easter eggs, and I'm forced to be content with plain eggs. I know, I know, I should be praising the lord and whipping myself, but, I'm not a Christian so Easter means nothing to me.
Oh, and the only food that is great about Easter, Hot Cross Buns, has also been spoilt. Why do they have to put the cross on it? I don't want to feel like I'm munching on Jesus.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #21
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
I have to say, I detest Easter. Everyone else munches on easter eggs, and I'm forced to be content with plain eggs. I know, I know, I should be praising the lord and whipping myself, but, I'm not a Christian so Easter means nothing to me.
Oh, and the only food that is great about Easter, Hot Cross Buns, has also been spoilt. Why do they have to put the cross on it? I don't want to feel like I'm munching on Jesus.

The only difference between an Easter egg and a normal egg is the color of the shell. At least in my house.
What are hot cross buns, anyway? We never have them on Easter, or any other time of the year, for that matter. On Easter, we have lots of eggs and lots of riccota (by itself or with the prosciutto, some sort of stinky but tasty meat) and lots of pies, but never hot cross buns.
I ate almost all of my candy already. I eat way too much. Actually, I don't. But I eat constantly.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #22
From what I read in the Book, I suspect OtM might approve of Jesus' attitude to money-lenders... I can understand Darkwind getting a little disappointed OtM got the story wrong there.

I feel pretty ignorant for not relating Easter to Passover before :o - pretty interesting Xian appropriation that.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #23
I've never had a hot cross bun, but apparently it's some sort of pastry with a cross on it made out of sugar or icing or some such tasty sweet gunk. Yum.

However, as I don't have any Jesus buns to munch upon, I'll content myself with chocolate bunnies.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
The spiriti of (secular) Easter is in the peeps. I don't actually eat peeps, and I don't know many people who do. But it just wouldn't be the Easter season without little yellow marshmallow birds slowly petrifying everywhere.

—Alorael, who also heartily recommends peep testing from a variety of sites. http://www.keypad.org/bunnies/index.html and http://www.peepresearch.org are both good examples.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages