Palm Sunday

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Palm Sunday
Cartographer
Member # 2264
Profile Homepage #125
In the White Collar Criminals thread I was referring to several specific instances which happened to me personally. Before those incidents I hadn't had any problems with Jehovas Witnesses. In fact two of my best friends in high school were Jehovas Witnesses and I actually liked talking about religion with them and their parents, not that we always agreed with each other, but they didn't jump all over me and tell me I was doomed for not agreeing with them. I'm sorry if you feel I'm attacking your religion, but being harassed, and that's the only way to describe what happened, really turned me off of the entire concept of going door to door peddling religion.

Minor point of fact... for the most part, I still don't dislike JW's, as long as they don't harass me. If I say I'm not interested, that should be respected. Does that not seem fair to you, Riibu, that if I say no thank you, I'm not interested, they respect that, rather than following me down the street trying to force me to take their publications, or telling me how I'm a horrible sinner? I know that those few people are not indicative of the entire church, but they're the ones I keep running into over and over. I'm sorry if I offended you, as that wasn't my intention.

--------------------
And the Glory of the Light did shine upon him.
And the Peace of the Light did he give men.
Binding nations to him. Making one of many.
Yet the shards of hearts did give wounds.
And what was once did come again
-in fire and in storm
splitting all in twain.
For his peace...
-for his peace...
... was the peace...
... was the peace...
... of the sword.
And the Glory of the Light did shine upon him.

Meane sol Ahelle

Check out my Avernum 3 site. This one is incomplete, but better than the one here which is complete, sort of.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #126
I'm not offended. Sad to hear what you've had to face, but not offended. I mean, the very few times I've been on that, my partner would do all the talking, and she politely asked if they, whoever was at the door, accept to take some of the magazines (for no better word, I really wouldn't use that for them) and if they said no, we would just leave. I don't know, if it's just that bad over there, but as far as I know, it isn't like over here, in Finland. I apologize for them, it sounds they've been really rude. Excessively so.

Though.. maybe you should move to Finland so you wouldn't be annoyed by us anymore (kidding, again). But it really isn't that bad. Learn to tolerate us! :P

[ Sunday, May 04, 2003 09:55: Message edited by: Riibu ]

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #127
Riibu, why do you have to do that? This door-to-door-walking?

--------------------
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #128
Here (UK),'buggering' is another word for sodomy, as in the fine old Navy tradition of 'rum, sodomy and the lash'. It comes from the Bogomile heresy of the 9th century and also 'Bulgaria', where the Bogomiles were apparently most active back then. I was somewhat surprised it was presented as a tenet of Witness faith.

Both the bit about the 144,000 elect and concerns about pollution from blood are conventional Biblical texts, Revelation and Leviticus, sort of specifically. I understand Witnesses got rather more flak about the invisible return of Christ (i.e. the 2nd Coming) in 1914. Personally, I prefer this sort of thing to the tepid Anglican tradition I was bought up and unsurprisingly lost interest in around puberty. At least the Jehovahs demand some commitment.

Not wishing to re-open old wounds, it was actually JF that started ranting in his usually unintentionally comic manner about Mother Theresa. No one is a saint, especially those role-playing sainthood so assiduously. Oh well...
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #129
In what way other we should do it? It's just they way we do it, I don't know any reason why exactly, nor do I know a substitute.
Constant buggering.. I was joking. Really, maybe I should have not said it? It seems from my Finnish point of view, like a joke. I mean, everyone always points that the door to door is the most annoying thing we do, and I just wanted.. to.. well, not be too serious.

Oh, and you know those people who go to church like once a year and state everywhere (well, when it's asked actually) that they're believers? I'm somewhat like that (except that I go to the meetings lot more.. Not always though). I say that I'm a Witness, but I know very little in real. I'm also not very good at answering your inquiries. I'm sorry if I have now disappointed you, as you won't get answers to those questions that are just burning inside you. You know.. why the door-to-door, why no blood, why this, why that?
I have no idea what to say. Aren't I just great :P ?

EDIT: Well, yeah.. that's the one. It's just that, I'm Finnish. I make mistakes :) . Constant bugging, then.

[ Sunday, May 04, 2003 11:05: Message edited by: Riibu ]

--------------------
Geneforge - The Maps
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #130
I think the word you were looking for was probably "bugging", which has a much, much different implicatiom from "buggering".

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #131
I used to have problems with Witnesses. That's when I decided to keep a bucket of pig's blood handy for those annoying visitors.

Just kidding, but I do keep a Super Soaker nearby to douse anyone who refuses to recognize the "no soliciting" sign, and I have no qualms about using it.

I don't go around telling people to join my religion. Why should other people do it based on the "evidence" of a book of folk tales and mythology?

--------------------
desperance.net - honestly, no biting.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #132
Has it really been proved as one?

--------------------
Geneforge - The Maps
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #133
I don't think it's so much that the Bible has been proven to be myth as that it hasn't been proven to be anything. There's no proof that it's the Word of God--there isn't even any proof that there is a God. That's why I'm agnostic--I don't want to devote my life or my faith to someone or something that very well might not exist at all.

My agnosticism leans more towards Atheism, however. I guess I just figure that if God existed, he wouldn't let people screw the world up this badly in his name.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #134
You know.. I could probably make a long post as an answer to yours, Missy, but right now.. It's much too late. I'm gonna go and sleep. I might edit something in here, tomorrow.

Nighty night, peeps :P .

--------------------
Geneforge - The Maps
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #135
quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Agoraphobia:
I don't think it's so much that the Bible has been proven to be myth as that it hasn't been proven to be anything. There's no proof that it's the Word of God--there isn't even any proof that there is a God.
Suppose that's why it's called faith?

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #136
If you believe that God gave humans free will, then he has to let us screw things up in his name. Free will with a divine authority ready to step in and prevent mistakes or stop anything he disapproves of isn't free will at all.

—Alorael, who is willing to concede that the Bible may have been, at one point, based on the words of God. That was some four or five millenia ago, though. In the interim, religious agendas and mistranslations have probably rendered the document about as accurate as the result of a game of telephone ten miles long and carried out by people speaking different languages.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #137
Faith is the second-to-last refuge of the incompetent.

--------------------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #138
And the first is, what, agreeing with that statement?

For anyone who cares, one of my best friends is a Jehovah's Witness, and though I do not share all of his beliefs, I am certainly willing to fight for them. It annoys me so much that people can be so cruel to these people who are simply trying to help them. Have you ever had one push into your house, chain you down, and start cutting off digits one by one until you sign, in ink, with your lips if necessary, a contract promising that you will convert and stay converted for the rest of your life? No, I didn't think so. They ask you if you are interested, if you care to discuss religion you say yes and have a nice little conversation, and if not, you say No thank you, wait for them to acknoledge that, and then close the door. If they refuse to leave, close it anyway. But I have never had that problem. Anyway, if a friend came to your door and wished to discuss something that, to you, is just as pointless or annoying, would you start swearing at them and all that? I certainly hope not.

And as for their beliefs, I admit they are a rigid, but who cares? You look at them as "them", and yourself as "us"... how is that any different from them thinking of you as "them" and themselves as "us"? This reminds me of www.protestwarrior.com ... "END RACISM AND SEXISM NOW! Kill All White Males!"

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #139
quote:
Quote by Samuel Johnson
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
—Alorael, who likes that quote. It's a good one to drag out in debates about whether or not protests against the war in Iraq were justified.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #140
It may be different in the district you live in, David, but whenever I've had Jehova's Witnesses at my door, my 'no' was not accepted. Instead I was told that they worry about my soul's salvation, which is a sure way to antagonize me. You see, my soul is my own to deal with, moreover do I not believe that any soul is ever lost.

I have to simply shut the door while they continue talking, and that makes me aggressive, as it is a humiliating thing to do, and I hate to be forced to do it.

--------------------
Polaris
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #141
ef - If they're on your property and you don't want them to be and you've told them not to be, they're trespassing. At least over here they would be.

No, David. The last refuge of the incompetent is violence. If one can't do what's right and logical, the first thing one does is to do what other people tell them to do; the second is to hurt whatever's confusing them. And if someone decides to ignore the prominent sign outside my house declaring it a solicitor/evangelizer/idiot-free zone, even after I silently point it out, they deserve whatever's coming to them. It's almost as good as the CO2 horn I keep handy for telemarketers.

Also, I never claimed to be anything but an intolerant *******, so that tack doesn't work on me.

EDIT: I don't use boards that practice automated censorship. Bye, all.

[ Sunday, May 04, 2003 16:46: Message edited by: M. Boeh ]

--------------------
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #142
Okay: when a topic has caused two respected members to leave or say they are leaving, even if it is because one of them has been driven to test the board's censorship device (*pfft* Djur!) I think it is time to kiss it goodbye.
*Takes moderator action*

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES

Pages