A Question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Question
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
What's the point of texting people? Whenever I see people doing it, it's during a time they shouldn't be. So is there any practical use for it? It's as if these palm-length gadgets are going to destroy the English language.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #1
Texting is an efficient way to send a message to someone with out using up minutes on your phone. you can also send pictures and stuff. Files maybe.

To answer the other part of your question, people text when they're not supposed to because they are retarded. Hopefully they only kill themselves when they're going 80 down the freeway.

What I want to know is why texting is abbriviated TXT. It removes one freaking letter! Removing the vowels from words doesn't make them cool!

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
You think that's bad? Around here it is called "SMSen" (SMS = text message), and pronounced "simsen". When I hear that word, I want to strangle someone.

[ Monday, March 17, 2008 22:04: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #3
You can lean some of the dangers of texting at the end of this movie.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #4
Texting is fun..it's a quick way of communication..costs less (well..here it does..), and is easy to do..

The only thing I hate about texting is that it used almost for every single thing..now is that a good thing or a bad thing? BAD! It's used for the times when your voice must be the one who does the speaking..not a text character..@_@

[ Tuesday, March 18, 2008 01:11: Message edited by: Azuma ]

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

What's the point of texting people? Whenever I see people doing it, it's during a time they shouldn't be. So is there any practical use for it? It's as if these palm-length gadgets are going to destroy the English language.
It's supposed to be good for sending a quick message. I dunno, I'm a neo-Luddite who hates cell phones and as a result has never had one and doesn't really plan on getting one.
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #6
It also includes deaf people in the mobile phone revolution.

--------------------
But it's the unsquandered youth that is truly wasted.

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
In Holland we also call it a "SMS", and we pronounce it just like that: S-M-S. I hardly use it, but I find it usefull, since I won't disturb people when they're too busy to start answering a phone call. Also, if their phone is switched off, I can be sure they get the SMS and send one back once they read it.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
I send them semi-regularly, usually because I don't want to have a 5 minute chat with somebody when all I want to say is the train was late.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - from the bottom of the sea.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #9
Texting means almost everything here..birthday greetings, invitations, death threats, bomb threats..all can be done through texting..

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

bomb threats
So ASU now has an emergency text messaging system for things like when the Memorial Union bursts into flames. Of course, you don't get the message until five hours after the fire is put out.

Good thing they had those fire sprinklers. Oh wait, they didn't.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #11
I've never sent or received a single text message in my life. Nor can I even begin to interpret the ungodly pile of gibberish people use and laughingly call it communication.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

bomb threats
So ASU now has an emergency text messaging system for things like when the Memorial Union bursts into flames. Of course, you don't get the message until five hours after the fire is put out.

Good thing they had those fire sprinklers. Oh wait, they didn't.

Then there's the problem for people like me (and apparently Imban), where we don't have cell phones.
"Oh sucks for you. You don't have a cell, so you die."

I'm gonna get a cell phone, but it'll be used for sending and receiving phone calls. And each call will probably be under a minute anyway, because I hate talking on the phone.

What bugs me is how it's pretty much an assumption that everyone has a cell phone already.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Always remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Text messaging is also useful because it requires only a short burst of connection instead of a long time for a conversation. If either you or the person you need to talk to is getting terrible reception, a text message can be great.

—Alorael, who has a cell phone so that he can call people and be called wherever he happens to be. This is deliberate. Wherever is not the same as whenever, though, and apparently his decision to either turn his phone off sometimes or, shockingly, not answer is entirely unacceptable in this modern world.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #14
I often have my 'phone off for long periods of time too.

I also know a person who doesn't have a mobile 'phone. When people used to say "what happens if you need to get in touch with somebody in an emergency?" he'd just reply "well, everybody around me has one I can borrow if I need one badly enough." Which is the perfect argument, I guess, unless other people use the same idea...

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - from the bottom of the sea.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #15
All of my friends and I have unlimited txting but not unlimited minutes. So that means that we txt until the night time and weekend minutes kick in.

The only down side to txting is when people txt and drive, it's the equivalent of drinking and driving in my mind.

--------------------
"The President finally had what he wanted. The President had a planet. All to himself." -A Planet For The President
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
I've always found my desire to converse far more limiting than my minutes.

—Alorael, who sometimes considers responding to text messages with snail mail.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Rowen:

drinking and driving in my mind.
That's about the only safe place for that activity. Man, I had this dream last night. I was absolutely wasted and had to get home so I drove and crashed and was Life Flighted to the medical center and left there a quad and then I woke up and I was all better. Miracle of modern science.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #18
I hate text messaging because all the people I know consider text messaging the same thing as instant messaging and I do not want to sit around waiting for my phone to beep. But now I don't have a cell phone so it's no longer a problem.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #19
It's a convenient way to converse with my friends when a call is either not necessary or is not appropriate at the time.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
the people I know consider text messaging the same thing as instant messaging and I do not want to sit around waiting for my phone to beep.
Some of my friends friends do the same with email, and get annoyed when I don't answer in an hour. I then make a point of waiting a while before responding to their messages and telling them to call or use IM if they want immediate feedback. I am a socially impaired nerd who can usually get away with this without looking deliberately rude.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #21
I play quite a few NwN online Role-Play servers. The people on them are useually polite, friendly, intelligent and respectful. They have one problem.

They use TXT speak, not only on //OOC chat, but in common everyday RP, in character.

I get banned quite a lot from these servers, as when I hear people talk like this I generally draw my uber GreatSword 12+ 2d12 Negative Energy damage and kill everyone in the near vacinity, raise them, kill them again, loot their corpses then kill the spawned level 60 NPC guards. Then I get warped to the DM court area, and charged in TXT speak, to which I generally say things that do not fit my normal temprement.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #22
It's just another evolving language. Why so much angst about another means of expression?

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

It's just another evolving language. Why so much angst about another means of expression?
Because it's nothing more than a language born out of laziness.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
Thralni, as much as I despise text speak, it's hard to hate the users. They aren't necessarily lazy, just focussed. If this is a new language/spelling system, then it will stand on its own merits or disappear. Either way, I won't use it, but it's hardly bothersome. There is still a time and place for everything, and I flash my high beams at people texting from their cars. After the initial swerve, they get the message, and I never even had to text them! :D

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."

Pages