AAAAAAAH!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: AAAAAAAH!!!
Apprentice
Member # 12221
Profile #50
Ever wonder how they get our names?
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Now I have a new rant, which just disproved my previous post. This e-mail is annoying.

quote:
Dear Timothy,

I hope you received my recent email offering you a copy of 5 Easy Tips for Choosing a College. I haven't heard from you yet, and I think this booklet would be helpful to an outstanding student like you.

Take a moment now to request this indispensable information, compliments of Washington and Lee University, before I run out of copies.

Sincerely,
I Am Ill Warthog
Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid
Washington and Lee University

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Good heavens. I had no idea that colleges were stooping this low. Sending out e-mails to prospective students is probably perfectly reasonable, even good; but can't they manage not to sound exactly like all the other spam? A little dignity, maybe, for a place that's supposed to be offering a higher education?
When I got a pretty high score on the LSAT, I was amazed that even law schools — even top-tier law schools — send basically spam. The mid-level schools at least have the decency to send a fee waiver alongside their spam. The top-tier ones just talk about how great they are.

They're all just slaves to U.S. News and World Report, anyway; they have no dignity. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by simply712:

They buy mailing lists from all those testing services for PSAT, SAT, ACT, .... I got a huge box of letters back before the Internet because I had high scores. At least it's easier to delete spam emails then open and toss paper. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #54
Excalibur, they never stop spamming you. I'm a junior in college, and I occasionally still get college mail. During freshman year, I think I might've gotten some at my college address.

But what's even better is that since I'm younger than the average college junior, the mail kept arriving for longer. In fact, my own college kept sending me admissions mailings until about halfway through my sophomore year.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 12221
Profile #55
What's weired though is that I didn't even do THAT well on the PSAT (yet not badly either), yet collages still send me their stuff in bulk. Even Fordham University. Mostly online quizzes I'll probably never take. :rolleyes:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #56
Originally by Randomizer:

quote:
I got a huge box of letters back before the Internet because I had high scores. At least it's easier to delete spam emails then open and toss paper.
Dikiyoba still got quite a few letters from colleges, though. Not a huge box, thankfully, but quite a stack.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Salmon:

Well, I've never once gotten a piece of mail from a collage.

Hmph, me neither. Nor did I ever receive anything unsolicited even from a college. Guess it's due to (a) lack of standardised testing in this country; and (b) lack of marketing nous in our universities. Back when I was at school, one had to write to the colleges to ask for their brochures; they didn't even know you existed otherwise.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #58
For me, I got four colledge (for some reason I can never spell this word) letters at the end of my freshmen year, and none through at least 3/4 of my sophmore year. What is the logic behind that?

--------------------
Ornk Meat and Guacamole --------- $6.00
Gazer Tentacle Stew -------------- $10.00
=:T:=
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Excalibur, they never stop spamming you. I'm a junior in college, and I occasionally still get college mail. During freshman year, I think I might've gotten some at my college address.

But what's even better is that since I'm younger than the average college junior, the mail kept arriving for longer. In fact, my own college kept sending me admissions mailings until about halfway through my sophomore year.

Yeah, bizarre thing about this. They actually sent me more stuff after I was already in college than they did when I was a senior in high school. But I think they mixed up my graduation year, because people were also sending me senior portrait and SAT stuff when I was a freshman in college.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

quote:
Originally written by simply712:

They buy mailing lists from all those testing services for PSAT, SAT, ACT, .... I got a huge box of letters back before the Internet because I had high scores. At least it's easier to delete spam emails then open and toss paper. :)

I've actually been in the National Honor Society since eight grade, so they've had my name since then. This year I scored very well on the PSAT, and now they come in waves. It's interesting to note that with every e-mail I receive they send a letter along with it.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #61
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

If you've chosen not to go, then how is it a rant? Couldn't find a date and feel sorry for yourself? Or were you spurned by the person you wanted to take?
All of them reasons on why you won't go to the prom..except lack of money..@_@

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by The Ratt:

colledge (for some reason I can never spell this word)
It's... been spelled out at least 10 times on this page alone. You couldn't have copy-pasted it?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #63
I can't say callages really spam me, and if colledges do spam me a little, it is quite reasonable. I'm at the end of high school, going to collge next year, so at just about every collage where I subscribed for a brochure, I now get heaps of stuff that provide no information whatsoever or very little, useless information. luckily, the only colloge that is really spamming me, is the clledge that I'm intending to go to, which is Leiden University.

College, yes.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #64
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

All of them reasons on why you won't go to the prom..except lack of money..@_@
Well, that truly sucks, if you wanted to go. I always thought it was enough of a source of anxiety as it is, without throwing in the costs. Schools that put on events like that probably should work out some kind of discount rental for tuxes.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #65
Proms are absurd. But then, so is high school. And so is college.

The freshman year mailings are probably aimed at students thinking about transferring. But since they have no idea who those are, they just spam everyone on their lists.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Restoration Action Figure:

Proms are absurd. But then, so is high school. And so is college.
Quoted for truth.

I didn't go to prom, because it's too bleeding expensive, and the music sucks, and it's not even fun.

And of course because Nikki wasn't gonna be there. ;)

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis.:

And of course because Nikki wasn't gonna be there. ;)
Why would he, if Aran wasn't going to show?

But yeah, I agree about prom being absurd, and the same for both high school and college. But for all the absurdity of high school prom, I actually went... but only because someone asked me (this was one of those things where out of all of my friends, I was the last to know about it). Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

But what I really find to be absurd is the number of ways people have spelled 'college'.

EDIT: Well, what do you know, number 4000. Milestone-tastic!

[ Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:49: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #68
Recent frustrations of mine. Hmm. Well, earlier today, someone walked into my apartment (while I was here) unannounced, and couldn't come up with a reason for having wandered in. Not only that, the same moron came back in a few hours later with a friend. I'd hate to think I have to lock up even when I'm at home. I mean, who DOES that!? Just walking in like they live here. Christ, now I want to stab someone.

--------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Apprentice
Member # 12221
Profile #69
Just boot up any Spiderweb game. There's plenty of stabbing, shooting, and spraying acid to go around.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #70
Play a game with Vampires, or read a book about Vampires, for some reason when reading the descriptive text of feeling a little heart gasp and gash then die down is strangely calming, or you can threaten them with knifes if they come back.

Now its my turn to Kvetch! I keep getting prank calls and hate email from someone I don't know, I asked my friends to find out if it was a joke, but it isn't, I swear I will stick and bleed the person who fills my bulk with spam.

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #71
If you want violence, read the book that is Nalyd's PDN.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #72
I'm not allowed to date, but nonetheless, I've heard our high school proms are lame.

I recently purchased Avernum 5, so I have nothing to rant about.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I'm not allowed to date, but nonetheless, I've heard our high school proms are lame.

I recently purchased Avernum 5, so I have nothing to rant about.

Any other game and I'd say "Wow, you need to get a life." But as it is, I totally agree. :D

--------------------
Love is the movement.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #74
Oh, oh, the sad.

Pages