AAAAAAAH!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: AAAAAAAH!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

EDIT: Well, what do you know, number 4000. Milestone-tastic!

Congratulations on making Royal Advisor. Have a tree.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #76
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I recently purchased Avernum 5, so I have nothing to rant about.
I don't have the money yet, birthday in April you see, and the Demo was perhaps the shortest demo I've seen from Jeff. Still, I managed to get some additions to the Encyclopedia out of it.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #77
Ah, you changed your name "Kinggolden".

Meh, never cared for the Avernum series, to un-complicated of a plot. (Or maybe its just because I got my hands on the 2nd edition Dnd =:/ )Geneforge is better, I'm saving my money for

A) Starcraft 2
B) Geneforge 5
C) Freelancer 2(working title) IT WILL HAPPEN!
Who doesn't love Blizzard?

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #78
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Oh, oh, the sad.
But dude... It wasn't even a rant, it was another of those comments which leaves you wondering if more prayer to St. Fu will ever be enough? I'm just, figuratively, at a loss for words. clanchat!

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #79
I'd like it to be known I am now available for all your prom date needs. Just contact me through the usual channels and have your meat ready.

Heh. That sounds far better than it did in my head.

My rant for the day is having to get ready for work whilst half-way through coding a cutscene. Bleh.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #80
[rant]

If a priestess of an undeath god changes her clothes right in front of you arent you expected to recognize her in disguise in a marketplace a few hours later??

[/rant]

EDIT2: Ok, it was dark and my ring of light was covered, but still...

[ Friday, February 29, 2008 02:44: Message edited by: Jeran Korak ]

--------------------
Death, chaos, destruction, my work here is just begining...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #81
quote:
Originally written by The Sisters Cassidy.:

I'd like it to be known I am now available for all your prom date needs. Just contact me through the usual channels and have your meat ready.
...meat?

--------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #82
In the Kingdom of Loathing, meat is currency. KoL appears to have begun as a satire on MMORPGs, but it has nevertheless become a large and addictive MMORPG in its own right — to such a degree that whether this constitutes failure of the satire, or brilliant success, would now seem to be moot.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #83
Yeah... That's what I meant.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #84
They gave us class registration forms for next school year already. I got a headache looking through the hundred somethin' classes I could choose from.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #85
Meh. High school classes are fun. For next semester,I have to take Genetics(oh god, so much to learn), Biochemistry(again, so much to learn), some statistics class on cell growth and other crap, some labs, and Cell biology or something.
This is all assuming I don't fail Ochem and my molecular Biology test tomorrow. Augh! The tests are so freaking hard and there's wayyy too much to know.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #86
Truly, getting shafted so often in college really puts high school into a different light. That is, it's easy, yet every high schooler still complains.

That's not an attack at anyone, by the way. I did it too. And in middle school. And elementary.

So… complaining is a coping mechanism?

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #87
And on it goes. Graduate students laugh sadly at how much easier undergrads have it, post-docs shake their heads at how much free time grad students have, and professors remember wistfully their carefree days as post-docs.

Part of the trouble is self-created, of course. As you move up the scale you acquire new tasks, for which it takes time to develop the necessary skills; but you keep your old skills, which enabled you to do your old tasks well. If you like doing things well, and dislike doing them badly, there's a strong temptation to hang on to old tasks, even when you might be able to delegate them away now. That way you still get to be good at some of your tasks.

The way to have less work is obviously to accept perpetual incompetence. (Calling it 'beginner mind', like the Zen masters, might make this sound better.) When the new tasks come, at which you're no good yet, hand off the old tasks you were good at to new people — who will be no good at them.

Of course, if everyone did this, all tasks would be handled incompetently. So this is not ideal, either. But I think it's true that most people who feel overburdened with work are probably partly to blame, because for psychological reasons they are doing more than they really have to of the work they are best at.

Even if you have no-one else to hand tasks off to, you can probably still just choose to do less of a lot things that you have already mastered. If you learned to do references and footnotes well in high school essays, you may be spending more time adding footnotes to your college essays than is really efficient.

One cause of overwork is overindulgence in competence.

[ Friday, February 29, 2008 03:07: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #88
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

And on it goes. Graduate students laugh sadly at how much easier undergrads have it
Not any that I've ever met. In fact, most of them point out how little they're actually required to do. In Classics, my favorite grad student had nothing to do but write a dissertation for about two years. In Astro, they show up for observation and occasionally have awful problem sets due, but nowhere near as often as undergrads. And yeah, they have to TA on top of that, but that's about it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #89
I feel overburdened. Anyone want a kid or two? No? How about a dog? She's really friendly, I promise.

imho Unless you absolutely love your job/school/chores they will feel like a burden. The secret is learning to love what you're doing since you almost never get to do what you already love.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #90
quote:
Originally written by Jewelz:

I feel overburdened. Anyone want a kid or two?
Two questions: One, can they do calculus? And two, how much do I have to feed/water them?

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #91
It's true that what you're technically obliged to do for a Ph.D. sounds rather slight. Write maybe one or two hundred pages worth of thesis, over the course of about five years. That's maybe ten term papers in length, for an average of 2 term papers per year. It's maybe a hundred problem sets in math or physics, working out to one every two or three weeks. Doesn't sound bad.

Heh. The problem is that a doctoral thesis has to be original research. You cannot just blather randomly for those pages and then stick letters in front of your name. You cannot even just read fifty books by other people and re-write their statements and arguments in your own words.

As an undergrad, some lecturer or textbook author tells you something and you know you're supposed to believe it, even though if you were thinking as critically as you would over a ten buck bar bet, you'd have a dozen hard questions right away.
Then in graduate school suddenly you're out of the classroom and back in the bar, and that's not as nice as it sounds. Everything's crap until you figure out exactly why it's not. So a grad student who thinks they don't have much to do is either very lucky, very clever, or pretty clueless.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #92
As you move up the ladder, you have fewer little things to turn in all the time and more major things hovering over your head for a long time. You also get more self-determination in how to approach your problems. Depending on how you think of these things, that can be either liberating or terrifying.

—Alorael, who personally just thinks that relief from the daily grind that peaks in high school or maybe college is a very welcome thing. Then, of course, you eventually hit the 9-5 world (or maybe 8-8, if you're chained to your lab bench) and the grind comes back in full force. At least it's a very different grind!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #93
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Heh. The problem is that a doctoral thesis has to be original research. You cannot just blather randomly for those pages and then stick letters in front of your name. You cannot even just read fifty books by other people and re-write their statements and arguments in your own words.

Then you find out the only one that read all that research is your advisor. The others on your dissertation committee trusted him to read it because they have no interest in what you have spent years slaving over. Sometimes they will catch up on their sleep while you do your oral presentation. This wouldn't have been noticed except the professor started snoring.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #94
I'm doing some original research for my undergrad thesis, so I get the concept. I'm not arguing that writing a dissertation is an easier task than what you do as an undergrad; I'm arguing that it's in no way as hectic as being an undergrad is, and as far as making life difficult, hectic is much worse than hard tasks.

Put another way, I think it's easier to have one really hard thing to do over the course of several months than ten pretty hard things to do over the course of a week.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #95
It's worth pointing out that while there is a certain amount of consistency from one graduate program to the next in terms of type and quantity of work, college programs, and individual college experiences, differ wildly. Many people slack off to greater or lesser degrees in college, and that includes a good portion of future grad students. It may not be possible to do that if you are getting a chemistry major, but many college-level courses of study are more forgiving with your time.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #96
Colleges are not forgiving. I hate ASU so much right now. Fist, all the honors students get to sign up for classes today, and many of the upperclassmen get tot start tomorrow. Too bad I can't sign up for two more weeks. TWO WEEKS? Every class I need is going to fill up, or I'll have to take the 7:40 ones. 7:40 genetics class is a terrible idea.

I just checked and there's only one genetics class open right now. GG only having one class that 800 people need to take. And that stupid math class will probably fill up again. GG only having one class (with like 20 spots) that 500 people need to take.

Also, I have some payments to make, but the stupid administration doesn't accept Visa. Who doesn't take Visa? Augh! Can some one name a major business place that doesn't take Visa in the US?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #97
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Colleges are not forgiving. I hate ASU so much right now. Fist (sic), ... *rant*
You should have gone to UofA :) . Although with that spelling problem .... Colleges are designed to teach one thing only and thats how to wait in line as cogs in an assembly line. Anything else is extra. Get used to not getting into required classes until you aren't a freshman. Try getting on waiting lists since some students drop out the first day of classes and vacancies open up.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #98
That was an awesome rant. First class. The IRS takes Visa, but Costco only takes Amex. Does ASU take Amex?

I couldn't ascend today because I couldn't make a wand and didn't have a wang to untinker. I spent about 20 turns trying for that n, and managed to blow up wand plus drop teet in my try. Figures.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #99
Ha ha, you're so clever and funny. All the smart people go to UofA. It gets really, really old.

And I'm not a freshmanm, I'm almost a junior. And yet for some reason, I get to sign up for classes later and later each time. This is incredibly stupid.

:Edit: Yes, ASU takes AMEX.

[ Monday, March 03, 2008 15:01: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------

Pages