The Graveyard Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Graveyard Thread
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #25
It was my first time through the Exile 2 demo, and my party discovered a large group of undead in a crypt in the southern Vahnatai lands.
My faithful party battled against the lich and his wights for nigh on many a minute, until exhausted and low on HP and MP, Adrianna discovered that she had a scroll for a spell called "shockwave". Having read the description of the spell in the spell library, Adrianna used the scroll, and smote many an errant wight to the ground.
Alas, she also smote every other member of her party to the same fate, as well.
Whoops.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin hits you for 10 damage.
The Silent Assassin Assassinates you! (10 dmg)
The Silent Assassin hits you for 10 damage.
The Silent Assassin Assassinates you! (10 dmg)
You hit The Silent Assassin for 3 damage.
The Silent Assassin flees in terror.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #26
Upper Blackrock Spire, World of Warcraft. Twelve members of the PALS FOR LIFE guild, despite meticulous planning, all meet their doom in the single greatest play in the history of video gaming.

--------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Grimm, Occasionally:

It was my first time through the Exile 2 demo, and my party discovered a large group of undead in a crypt in the southern Vahnatai lands.
My faithful party battled against the lich and his wights for nigh on many a minute, until exhausted and low on HP and MP, Adrianna discovered that she had a scroll for a spell called "shockwave". Having read the description of the spell in the spell library, Adrianna used the scroll, and smote many an errant wight to the ground.
Alas, she also smote every other member of her party to the same fate, as well.
Whoops.

Been there. Shockwave has inadvertently killed many a PC of mine, so I sympathize.

I highly recommend making everybody invulnerable before casting Shockwave.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #28
Requiem, a warrior-singleton given maxed luck by the editor. He had no resistance to bind though. He fought a binding Eyebeast using that binding ray thing.

After being blasted down to 0 health, Requiem never died because of his luck, and since you can't stop the game mid-battle, I had to restart my computer after letting it go for 6 hours (I was away.)

The moral of this story is if you're going to edit one stat to max, edit all of them. (That was way back when I didn't even know how to use control alt delete.)
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #29
My first Spiderweb game ever, Exile III. I had just beaten the alien slime and was confronting Erika about her glyph which I found in it's lair. Since I hadn't played the previous two Exiles, I didn't realize Erika was a hero and the greatest mage in Avernum. I refused her boon, judged her guilty, and attacked her. Unlike in the Avernum series, Exile doesn't even allow you to do damage to her before having you automatically slain (by fireballs coming out of the floors and walls, if I recall correctly).

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Gale:

Stuff.
Heh. I did that. but it was on a mac and I didn't have Ctrl Alt Del. Had to push the restart button.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
Because you, um, didn't know about Force-Quit?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #32
Really old macs didn't have force quit, did they? This computer is like 12 years old.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #33
I'm pretty sure if it could run the Avernum or Exile games, it had the force-quit option. I didn't know about it either, though, for a long time. Plus when I did know about it, I could never remember the key combo.

"Cloverleaf-period-spacebar-thing" - Hunter Cresall

[ Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:30: Message edited by: Nemesis. ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Always remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #34
"Shamgar, Ivanhoe, Dahlia, and Vanval"

A5, near the drake pillars.

The party had just endured a tough fight with some slimes on Tobias's claim. After rounding the corner they saw a goblin guarding a secret passage. Ivanhoe shot the pest from a distance, which prompted the bugger to run away. The party stormed in, thinking these were typical, dumb goblins. Apparently, the shaman can deal fifty hit points of damage with a single fire bolt. Ivanhoe died unexpectedly, then the shaman covered Shamgar with acid. The remaining two, both spell casters, did their best with smite and lightning spray but it was in vain.

A5, same party - Damaged Pylon quest:

I couldn't figure out the vulnerabilities of the different shades quick enough. It wasn't until my second try that I realized the green shade is harmed by repel spirit, the blue by fire, and the red by physical damage.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #35
G4, Loyalist, Inner Shaping Hall.

Infinite Traitor Foyle has brought down the power, killed many a Drakon, and now fights boldly in the main control room. The room practically starts to melt with the intensity of the spells she's flinging, and Karikiss and the two Drakon Defenders are already down. Miranda and the other Loyalists are fighting the Unbound now, while Foyle duels Akhari Blaze. Sss-Thoss the Drakon is busy helping Alwan chop up Greta. Akhari is about to die, and when I swoop in to cast the final Kill spell, I accidentally click on myself. Akhari and the other defenders had harmed me enough that this killed me.

I never understood why we could target ourselves or our creations.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #36
You get to fight the Unbound in the inner halls?

--------------------
Death, chaos, destruction, my work here is just begining...
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #37
Jeran: yes, if you play as Shapers.

I think its nice you can click on yourself and your creations. Of course, I quicksave a lot, so it's alright.

--------------------
Possibly the best website on Earth. Let the Jaffa Cake confusion end!

Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #38
"Shamgar"

A5 - Northern Barrier in Tranquility

I have this tendency to underestimate goblins in the game. I had just killed the first two groups of goblins, and after rounding the corner saw a fire lizard. Shamgar, a slith, is about 60% immune to fire. So thinking it's just one fire lizard I had Shamgar charge while the others stayed behind. Turns out there were five fire lizards and a goblin chief.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #39
"Amarfrra, Sarah, Michael, 11 ogres, 2 ogre mages, and a cave giant pretending to be an ogre."

In ASR, the Sniper's Guild (a 4 PC party consisting of the above names plus Frrmrrr, a thrown missile glass cannon nephil) went to bat with the Ogres in the mountainside (the one where boulders are rolled). I thought the party was ready, but the slow wave that hits before the fight begins was too much. Two lightning sprays brought down Amarfrra and Sarah (fighter and mage), and the other two were knocked down to 0 health. Frrmrrr then leveled one ogre mage, and dealt an incredible blow to the other. Michael dealt a finishing blow, but the damage was done; next round, an ogre javelin brought down the priest, and the entire attack force moved on poor Frrmrrr. An ogre flung a javelin at Frrmrrr... and missed. Another took a shot, and also missed. The cave giant ogre thingy took two shots, and missed them both.

This went on, with every single remaining ogre missing on their attack, while Frrmrrr steadily picked them off, one by one. 30 rounds later, the ogres were history.

The moral: just because pwnage is ensuing on one side doesn't mean the tides can't turn, be it for the better or for the utterly ridiculous.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

Upper Blackrock Spire, World of Warcraft. Twelve members of the PALS FOR LIFE guild, despite meticulous planning, all meet their doom in the single greatest play in the history of video gaming.
That thing has to have it's own grave..

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Henry Plainview.:

Jeran: yes, if you play as Shapers.

Thats odd, when I played as a loyalist I spent about (at a guess) 100 turns (in pure combat mode) to clear the place and never got the Unbound to spawn, I assumed from the text the general gives you that it'd be an instant death node. Him saying "No, we'd be wiped out but the shaper army might stand a chance" when you mention it to him.

--------------------
Death, chaos, destruction, my work here is just begining...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Really old macs didn't have force quit, did they? This computer is like 12 years old.
If I remember correctly, it did, but it never worked out for me.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #43
IIRC, as you fight the Drakons in the control room, they manage to get some Unbound finished and release them on you. It might depend on how long you take to do the fight, I don't know.

--------------------
Possibly the best website on Earth. Let the Jaffa Cake confusion end!

Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #44
Huh — I'll have to try that at some point. My only loyalist game was in beta, but I kind of short-circuited the whole thing by just charging straight down the center, leaving various enemies to follow me, and throwing a couple of buffed Rotghroths through the final barrier before the control room. They even survived, I think. A few rounds later it was all over. I regarded it as a big plus for the game that that worked — if you're really attacking a strongpoint, speed and violence are the watchwords. But it would have been interesting to see the Unbound hatch.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #45
So, testing my current Blades project, I found a fight that needed to be made easier, because you just couldn't hit the enemy in question and it hit for too much damage. I cracked open the data script, lowered the Melee Weapons skill and its Defense (theoretically solving both problems), only to find that it was still rampaging through the party's hp. I puzzled over this for about half an hour, before realizing that I had overwritten the Melee Weapons nerfing with the Defense nerfing via errant copy-pasting (people who know how stats get adjusted in Blades will understand). Two switched numbers later, and the fight worked properly.

The funny part is that this was preventing me from getting to an area where I wanted to test a node that should, if working properly, kill you. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Thats odd, when I played as a loyalist I spent about (at a guess) 100 turns (in pure combat mode) to clear the place and never got the Unbound to spawn, I assumed from the text the general gives you that it'd be an instant death node. Him saying "No, we'd be wiped out but the shaper army might stand a chance" when you mention it to him.
As I remember, Akhari Blaze goes for the control panel once his HP is sufficiently low. If you kill him fast, it might not trigger. I've done the final battle from the Shaper side twice, and only fought Unbound one time.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #47
And since thou speakst of graveyards...

"Medivh," Diablo II Necromancer

After duking it out with Baal in the Worldstone Chamber for a while, the sorely wounded Medivh made a tactical withdrawal to reform his army and reload health/mana. Baal had recently hit him with a weird-looking Curse, but that would only hurt in combat, right? Then, to guard against stray Appendages, Medivh summons a Fire Golem.

It was a Feedback curse.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
...with Baal in...
I think it's kind of funny when games use archaic biblical names, but I tend to do the same thing.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #49
quote:
..Medivh..
Warcraft much?

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..

Pages