Left or Right?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Left or Right?
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
Nope, not politics. A left-brain/right-brain test.

Which way round?

Warning: if the silhouette of an unclad female dancer is something you'd rather not have to look at to take this test, well, then, you're out of luck, I guess. Hey, I didn't make the test, and a woman gave me the link. Anyway, Iffy, you have been warned. :D

I seem to be unable to picture the woman rotating counter-clockwise. She's clockwise and I'm right-brained. Big surprise there, huh? What do you test as? Can you picture both directions?

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Nice picture. Now, what was the question?

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #2
At first it was clockwise for me, and I could see no way to change this. Then I noticed the reflection. Staring at it for a while, I convinced myself that she is in fact rotating counter-clockwise, and now I can't change it back.

I think it's a good idea to wait for the picture to load completely before looking at it.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
Sounds like the left<-->right switch in your brain just broke. Sorry 'bout that.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I have been trying for several minutes to loosen my perception and convince myself she's turning clockwise, but it's impossible. I need only to glance to see that she's turning counter-clockwise.

Wait. I managed to do it. I just had to concentrate hard on the cycle and convince myself that I was seeing her "face" while she was turning to the left.

It was difficult to switch back, but now the filter is beginning to break. I'm even seeing her making half-turns, never showing her back (or her face).

I think it may be easier with one eye; no expectaion of perceived depth.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #5
At first clockwise, and couldn't figure out how to make her go anti-clockwise, but with Redstart's suggestion about the shadow, now I can make shadow switch directions at will, and if I lower the page so that's all I can see, when I raise it again she appears to be turning the direction I have chosen her shadow is turning. If I leave the full image up, most of the time it merely appears as if her shadow has switched direction and is turning the opposite direction she is.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
At first clockwise, but now i can manage to let her turn counter-clockwise and back very easily.

[spoiler]It's the shadow. looking at that and imagining the way her right foot swivels around the foout that stays stationary, can make me turn around the whole picture[/spoiler]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #7
Clockwise. And no matter what has been said, that fact can't be changed. For me.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #8
You aren't changing anything. The image itself changes. Sorry to spoil the fun...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

[QB]I seem to be unable to picture the woman rotating counter-clockwise. She's clockwise and I'm right-brained.
I can only see her rotating clockwise too. If I can be right-brained, then the term "right-brained" has lost all meaning.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #10
All I can say to that is that after about 15 minutes, I've noticed no changes whatsoever. Meh, maybe we just use different medication.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
Definitely clockwise. I can't get her to change either.

--------------------
"And the history books forgot about us, and the bible didn't mention us, the bible didn't mention us, not even once.
You are my sweetest downfall- I loved you first, I loved you first.
"

Nikki's Nook - BoA Scenarios and poetry.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #12
I take back my comment, I've looked at the source for the page and there is only one image. It just didn't make sense that the test would say I was right brained either.

I'm actually curious as to how many right handed people got a right sided brain and how many left handed people got a left sided brain on this test.

Of course, now that the left side of my brain knows the trick I can see it any way I want. Try to make her only do half-circles. :P

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #13
It's strange. As long as I look at the picture she goes clockwise. But when I start reading the text and see her without actually focusing on her, she changes her direction.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #14
It may be a slightly fixed test in my mind. Since it is an attractive woman turning, it would naturally seem to "feeling" "risk taking" etc. I am guessing sexual attraction/love is more of a right brained function.

Furthermore, the image is more of an art related thing. Dancing is right brained I believe.

I originally saw her turning clockwise. Suggesting I am right brained. This is funny considering my career is very left brain oriented as is the majority of my education.

By focusing on her foot I could get her to turn the other way. I was "analyzing" what I saw her foot do.

Pretty cool test anyway.

Ultimately, I believe I am a little more right brained than left, since I pride myself on being intuitive. But I definitely need strong left brain abilities to get by in my career.

--------------------
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
I am the Belichick, Prince of Darkness.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #15
Counterclockwise first, then clockwise. I figured out how to switch them, but I still have no idea how the test works.

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #16
Clockwise and no complaints really, since the description pretty much fits. I got it to change directions by simply not looking at its form, only the shadow (even raising my hand over the chick), and then.. just like that, counter-clockwise. It was kinda creepy, because it seemed to clearly go clockwise. At first I couldn't even understand how anyone could see it differently, but yeah... Switching's easy now.

Still, clockwise to begin with.

--------------------
Pannaan kaikki hippulat vinkumaan! ^_^

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
Originally by Ef:

quote:
It's strange. As long as I look at the picture she goes clockwise. But when I start reading the text and see her without actually focusing on her, she changes her direction.
Me too. While I'm focusing on the picture, she goes clockwise. While I'm focusing on the text, she goes counterclockwise. When I switch what I'm focusing on, she almost immediately switches direction too.

It's gotten to the point that Dikiyoba can make the dancer do half-circles.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #18
Counterclockwise at first, and couldn't get it to change for a while. Then like others I focused on the shadow, and this made it easy; I can switch back and forth at will.

The clockwise motion looks less natural to me than the counter-clockwise. Counterclockwise looks like a real dancer might do that, clockwise looks as though she's a bit too much out of balance. The fact that there can be a difference in this is an interesting arrow of time problem.

I don't buy for a moment that this test has anything to do with being right- or left-brained. The only visual asymmetry I believe in is that people do usually have a 'master eye'. The check is to focus on some small object across the room, then quickly block your view of it with your thumb, at arm's length. You should be able to do this instinctively, or think you can if you do it quickly; but in fact you can't simultaneously block the view from both eyes this way. By closing one eye then the other, without moving your thumb, see which eye's vision has actually been blocked. This is your master eye. I believe your master eye is usually on the same side as your dominant hand; but I don't think it is always so.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #19
I don't know whats wrong with you lot. I can easily see both ways.

--------------------
"I must admit, killing mortals is much easier then killing demons. If you remove a demon's head, all you end up with is something that tries to bite your ankles." -Valen
Noob: lol 1337 lol woot
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #20
Been staring for 13 hours now, and it still is an image of a female dancer doing a pirouette. Started to look like a man smoking a cigar for a while, but that passed.

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
Can only get it to go counter-clockwise... and the cigar changed into a flower.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
To me, she seems to only be turning in one direction. If I look at her feet it seems she is turning clockwise because I'm looking up at her. If I look at her head it is like she is going counter-clockwise because I'm looking down at her. Either way, it's really the same direction, just a matter of perspective. I agree with SoT in that I can't imagine what this would have to do with using your right or left brain.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #23
When I look at the .gif, she's moving counterclockwise, and I can't change this. When I disassemble the .gif and view the images one by one, she's moving clockwise, but I can focus and make her move counterclockwise.

How did they determine the right/left brain distinction? Hook people up to a fMRI or something (hopefully I remember correctly and fMRI is the relevant technique)?

--------------------
It's just a pissing contest, but unfortunately the contestants never seem to run out of piss.
- John McCarthy
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #24
Wow, thats awesome. I see CounterC. rather than C. Im not sure whether its designed to change randomly or whether i drank too much beer

--------------------
Life's important Questions:
What is the best Artifact
Gloves of Savagery
Is there a more uber sword that the Puresteel Soulblade: No
Vie va la Travokites
Vie va la Kyryk
Vie va la Serviles
Vie va la Dryaks
Your incompidence is your own fault
Before you complain, ask yourself, does anyone care? The answer, of course is No.

Pages