noob info

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: noob info
Apprentice
Member # 6763
Profile #75
DIY video at:
http://music.aol.com/video/pop-lock-and-drop-it/huey/1797575

dag nabit, page 4...

[ Wednesday, September 05, 2007 16:43: Message edited by: troglodyte #1 ]

--------------------
--I don't have a signature yet.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #76
I feel violated.

On several levels.

--------------------
Synergy - "I don't get it."

Dikiyoba - "Dang. I'm one firecracker short from getting a gourd potion today."
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #77
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NHvpZxxUNnQ&mode=related&search=

like that!
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #78
Ok, shorter list... but I like the rules that show the culture of our community (ie. Alo with his sniper rifle) so it'll probably be more then 20 long.

*goes to weed more*

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #79
I refuse to be swayed by your puppy dog eyes. :P

5, 35, and elsewhere: Could we use names instead of member numbers? Or both, if you think that's necessary.

9: I like "Remember, sometimes your friends lie." better than the current version.

27: I don't like it. I suggest adding something like "Protesting post count topics may, in fact, be a suitable occasion." to 26 and getting rid of this one entirely. Or at least go back to the original version.

32: It is slightly different from 33, but not different enough to warrant inclusion. Get rid of it.

37: You forgot about Nalyd. A general word about not over-doing gimmicks would be better.

46: It's Arctic, not Artic.

Finally, Dikiyoba thinks that Salmon's rule needs to be on the list. Perhaps as the golden rule.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #80
quote:
Originally written by Jewel:

Ok, shorter list... but I like the rules that show the culture of our community (ie. Alo with his sniper rifle) so it'll probably be more then 20 long.

*goes to weed more*

Edit:
Down to 47. Only 16 are 'do not's and I think half of those are based on humor.

I really would hate to take out anything else...

*flashes sad puppy dog eyes for approval*

Much better now. :)

Although I still prefer Ash's version of your rule #28. (I mean rule #43 in the original list.) :P

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #81
How about..
"Referal to SpidWeb Boards members as creatures is frowned upon.."

--------------------
This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show.
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #82
quote:
Originally written by Wiz:

And yes, she has a point. I'm pretty sure most of the posts generally regarded to be spam would be considered interesting/useful by the poster.

As a mod / staff member myself of an automotive site that at any time has 4-500 members logged in, I've noticed some differences in the "rules" of various boards and find them interesting --- like other cultures almost.

The loose definition of "spam" on other boards, for instance, that we just don't have the time to bother with. We have a stricter definition of the term. Spam is stuff from a newly registered user trying to sell something or redirect traffic to some site completely unrelated to the board for personal gain.

Repetitive posting about nonsense could also be considered spam as well, but we don't get many of those, and that is subjective. Spam is not subjective --- on the board I'm a mod at, at least.

We don't lock or delete threads often, but then people usually don't come to an automotive news site to make trouble. And mental pre-teens looking to vent against authority figures aren't usually interested with discussion of the newest car platform being developed in Brazil with an ethanol-capable engine. Not for long, anyway.

Religion and politics are a no-no. Usually go nowhere good. Hard to moderate when they are related to automotive news, though.

We also don't tolerate banned users coming back and trying to lure users to their new boards that were created mainly to whine about why they were banned. IP ban time for those few.

Repeated personal taunts and jabs (one level below an out and out "attack") that aren't meant in fun are discouraged, even if not explicitly forbidden in the Rules of Conduct.

But that's another site, and another world. The rules here are fine with me. But arbitrarily calling posts "spam" for no clear reason is...unfortunate.

Anyway, thought I'd post my 2 cents, doubtful they will bring much more than a few taunts and jabs my way (ha). :P ;)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #83
We have the same rule against solicitation and sales here, but we don't call that spam. Okay, actually we do, but it's a different definition of spam. Maybe some disambiguation would be nice, but there's the stuff we get rid of like you do and then an additional category, also called spam, that we get rid of if we're irritated by it.

—Alorael, who likes subjectivity. It gives him room to execute his unchecked will and whimsy on a helpless forum.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #84
quote:

—Alorael, who likes subjectivity. It gives him room to execute his unchecked will and whimsy on a helpless forum.[/QB]
OK, I've got to say it and try to make it not sound like brown-nosing to an elder member. How can you have almost 14,000 posts, and manage to have a pretty darned witty line from "Alorael" at the end of each one?

Seriously, the ones I've read thus far have all been pretty good.

And just for the newbies like me, who is Alorael anyway?
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #85
I at least understand that he's the moniker-changing, pedestrian-sniping, signature-gimmicking 54-to-56-year-old (or 52 to 54???) Jewish Korean transvestite we all know and love.

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #86
Alorael likes to justify his high post count by claiming to inject some sort of quality in each one. The more sections to each post, the more chances for some "quality" to sneak in.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #87
Alorael's 58 years young if the information about his birthdate is correct.

With all those posts there bound to be some sparkling gems.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #88
Alorael is actually a collective account used by quite a number of older members. That's why the PDN changes so frequently. And the signatures are generated automatically by a sophisticated bot program. Obviously, no single normal person could possibly generate so many distinct signature lines, let alone the posts that preceded them.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2473
Profile #89
I thought Alorael was actually Imban! But then again, so is everybody else, including all those older members.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #90
Now we'll have to kill you.

(PS Ming, in case you haven't figured out by now, Alorael is the person to whom you were replying. He was so secretive about his age that people began making up random numbers, which eventually evolved into a joke about a Korean transvestite pedophile living in Alaska.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #91
You boys are mean, be nice.

Wiz, the good thing to remember here is that it's just a forum. A forum with a lot of odd geeks who spend their time playing old-style RPG's and spamming. Anything you hear about Alorel, sniper rifles, Richard White, the Xian skull, the button in black-crag fortress, goats, swarms of noobs, any kind of huge dogs with orange eyebrows, fog, summoning machines, were-rats, demons, undead, dragons, ferrets, neddles and ferrets, Zorro, Iichi (sp), Galactic Core, Richard Black, cults, necromancy, member number #4, mindless spirits, rats, GIFTS, GIFTR, Nukes, green things with teeth, spam, edible spam, compustable spam, flammers, trolls, Ed, Arghhhhhhhhh and mysterious figures clad all in red with a pinch of salt.

--------------------
I have just realised I have reached 200 posts. The problem is I have absolutely no idea how I made them!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #92
Zeviz, the Korean businessman came way before any 50-something Alaskan pedophile bit.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #93
You forgot mangos, Stuggie, tentacles and the fluffy turtles, to name but a few things...

And it's Icshi. Or was, sometime next week.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #94
I'll make a note of them...

--------------------
I have just realised I have reached 200 posts. The problem is I have absolutely no idea how I made them!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #95
Hmm, how did this start about Imban being everyone?

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
FYI, Iffy is short for Infernal Flamming Muffin.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #96
Imban noticed something funny one day.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #97
You know, we havent had a meme for ages...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #98
Imban is so passé. Tim is where it (was) at.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #99
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Zeviz, the Korean businessman came way before any 50-something Alaskan pedophile bit.
Untrue! My signature gimmick started from post one, or rather it predates Spiderweb. My skribbane-swilling, sniping persona came about soon after my arrival (or re-arrival). My middle age, Alaskan location, and unsavory predilections were all my own early fabrications in order to dodge some questions and raise others. The Korean businessman came somewhat later, from Desperance.

—Alorael, who must admit that being a transvestite is actually news to him. And, for completeness, his daily name change has been undertaken since he hit 10,000 posts as a form of protest for his lack of a custom title despite his numerous and scintillating contributions to the Spiderweb community, such as... well... he probably did something at some point.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages