Utility Programs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Utility Programs
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
There have been a number of polls about your favorite operating system or browser, but I'm curious about all the other little tools. There are a few programs installed on most computers - mail client, text editor, office suite (usually), programming IDE (well, for programmers), instant messenger... etc.

But for each of these, there are several alternatives, and I'd like to know which of them is more popular.

Edit: And YES, I know I'm missing tons of programs (I had to play the Mac ones by ear, and I have never used a media player on Linux). Go choose other and get over it.

[ Sunday, June 03, 2007 21:41: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 8 question(s). 45 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=aTvRuxtEEgUG"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=aTvRuxtEEgUG"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
It's pretty much what came installed with the Mac. Although for media player while I picked Windows, I've used Quick Time and Real Player if that's what the file is saved in for format.

I know there are better versions that what I use, but I'm lazy and it works for now.
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #2
The Mac default text editor is called TextEdit (a total stretch, I know). You also left off the default Mac mail application, Mail, which is what I use for my mail.

Other than that I can forgive your omissions, although the media player one is a little annoying simply because I use about half the things on the list and at least one that's not mentioned, depending on the media and the files involved. That is to say, I use iTunes to play my main MP3 library (which is also known as my CD collection) on my Mac, but if I want to, um...find... music, I do that on my PC and use WinAmp. But for movie files it's BSPlayer all the way. (On my PC). And if I really badly need to play movies on my terribly slow Mac then I'd use VLC or MPlayer. But I try to avoid it, because the poor thing really isn't up to doing it the way I prefer (full-screen). Oh, and for DVDs I use still other applications.

But the poll format only lets me pick one. Bah.
Apprentice
Member # 8596
Profile #3
No love for Opera on the web browser list?

--------------------
ni~pah
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Argh! I was so sure I'd put it in. >_<

Ironically, I listed Opera as a mail client.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #5
I use a program called hamachi. Its a networking porgram that allows you to create or join a network you can chat with who ever might be online you can also browse through files that are in the share folder and vice versa. Can come in handy.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #6
Many people use different video players from music players. I use iTunes for my music and VLC for video on both Windows and Mac

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
What I find most amazing so far is the number of people that don't download their email locally, as well as that the lack of Opera hasn't yet caused any "Other" choices in the web browser.

Also, what office suite am I missing? Let me guess; is it called "MacOffice" or "iOffice"? :P

Edit: In that case, go with the music player. Some of the options are music only, and it's what I had in mind even though I said "media".

Edit2: And there is an unexpected percentage of people who reject IM altogether.

What other compression tool is there? At least there I was pretty sure I hit all the popular choices.

[ Monday, June 04, 2007 01:41: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #8
Maybe the native zip support offered by WinXP and later versions? Although I checked 7zip, I really only use it for rar files.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
Windows ME supported native compression too, AFAIK.

And I think AppleWorks is the Mac equivilant of MSOffice/Works.

Personally, I use Crimson Editor as a notepad, instead of MSNotepad, I use Paint Pro 7 for image editing, and flit between iTunes and MWP depending on my mood (and whether I need to update my iPod or just listen to music).

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Whoops. I assumed that native Windows in XP counted as WinZip - the two are almost indistinguishable on my computer, although I eventually shut off the native folder thing because it stuffs my Temp folder full of temporarily uncompressed files.

Also, is MWP short for Media Windows Player or is there another player?

[ Monday, June 04, 2007 03:10: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Seamonkey counts as Mozilla Suite, right? It's essentially the version of Mozilla Suite that's still being developed.

Also, Adium is basically Gaim with a Mac GUI slapped on it, so I'm not sure what to vote for on that one. :P

I do most of my image editing in GraphicConverter; it's not all fancy like Photoshop or GIMP, but it's easy to use and does what I need it to do.

You left out Quicktime Player in question 7, although in practice I try each of QTP, VLC and WMP and use the first one that works for a particular video anyway, since I can't be bothered keeping my codecs up to date for all of them.

And on those rare occasions when I need to compress a file, I use YemuZip.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #12
Although I don't know about other people, I put down 'Other' for an office suite because I still use AppleWorks, ancient though it is. Also, while I use AIM occaissionally, I really prefer to use email whenever possible, so that was what I put down.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Seamonkey counts as Mozilla Suite, right? It's essentially the version of Mozilla Suite that's still being developed.
Yup. In fact I was tempted to put just Seamonkey in the option, but then realized that "Mozilla Suite" was the wider term.

quote:
Also, Adium is basically Gaim with a Mac GUI slapped on it, so I'm not sure what to vote for on that one. :P
Blame my Mac ignorance. I've never seen Adium referred to as anything but a Jabber client, so I didn't know it was multi-protocol, much less a Gaim clone. Just strike it from that list and choose Gaim...

[ Monday, June 04, 2007 05:23: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
The Mac equivalent of MS office used to be Appleworks, but it's now "iWork". I use MS Office, but I think I'll switch over to NeoOfffice, which generally is OpenOffice.org but with a nice GUI.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #15
Not much seems to be missing there, save for some word processors. I have both Adobe InDesign and Quark Xpress, though I lean toward the latter.

Edit: I tend to avoid most Office Suites in favor of Adobe CS supplimented my a variety of lesser known applications.

[ Monday, June 04, 2007 06:15: Message edited by: Actaeon ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
I use Linux at work and Vista at home, so this poll would have been perfect if every question had two choices. Ah, well.

The only 'Other' I picked was for text editing. I only use emacs at work when Eclipse won't do, but at home I use Programmer's Notepad 2 exclusively.

By the way, has anyone noticed how long it takes to extract files from .zip folders using the built-in WinZip on XP or Vista? Maybe it's optimized for viewing the contents of files but not extracting them.

--------------------
I want to get a full body tattoo of myself, only bigger.
- Steven Wright
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By the way, has anyone noticed how long it takes to extract files from .zip folders using the built-in WinZip on XP or Vista? Maybe it's optimized for viewing the contents of files but not extracting them.
I would think that's quite dumb...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
Mostly mac stuff here. I do use Microsoft Office, however, because I want the world to be able to understand me. I use Safari for some reason, and Outlook.

For instant messaging I use iChat, which I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #19
I use ichat for AIM, Adium for MSN, Yahoo, ircle for IRC. I prefer iChat and wish they would add MSN support, I hate the official MSN client (on any platform). I typically use Pages for typing though I have Microsoft Office (provided by work). I use Mail.app for mail. Media Players would have to be iTunes and VLC.
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #20
Hmm. I do all of my image editing in The GIMP, so I checked that, but I do my linework in the tablet-friendly OpenCanvas 1.1, which is also the only version to support network use (can you call it Netplay?). Sometimes I also start from a pencil sketch, but even then I use OC if I decide to retrace it. I can use either OC or GIMP to do what little I know of coloring, though. =^.^=;

In summation: GIMP and Photoshop are good for heavy-duty editing and OC easily produces anything from soft, smooth lines to hard and solid ones and lets you show off or do it with a friend! But as far as I'm aware OC 1.1 has no vector pen tools, so it's up to you which is best for the job.

--------------------
http://whyte-shadow-neko.deviantart.com - My drawings!
Waka Laka love and fantasy~
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
iWork still doesn't have everything that Appleworks did, and yes, I still use that venerable suite as well. But I also use NeoOffice and, occasionally, the real Microsoft Office.

For the other things... I use Mail but am strongly considering switching to Firebird for security reasons, Safari and Firefox interchangeably, a mix of TextEdit and TextWrangler with the occasional Pages thrown in, the aforementioned mix of office clones, AIM and iChat, GraphicConverter (but Adobe Illustrator to doodle!), and the entertaining mix of iTunes, VLC, and mplayer/ffmpegX. OS X uses gzip just fine.

—Alorael, who has never compressed with his bare hands. He has, however, brandished a rifle until his assorted disks and drives agreed to hold more data.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #22
I pretty much never need to do anything that requires a full office suite these days, but I used to use AppleWorks when I did. I'll probably move to OpenOffice if/when I need to again. Unless it's at work, in which case I'll almost certainly be forced to contaminate myself with Microsoft's hideous favored child.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #23
Edit -My computer is after me. I swear!

[ Tuesday, June 05, 2007 13:01: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #24
I wonder how people see the screen when there are crayon markings all over it.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.

Pages