To the moon

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To the moon
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #25
We don't launch toxic waste into space because of the risk it might explode in atmosphere. Talk about a dirty bomb!
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #26
Besides, we might actually find some use for that waste if we think for long enough. Shooting materials into void is stupid, no matter how useless those materials might seem.

As for all sorts of space programs, I don't really see the point. They're costly, and give us almost no gain. We still have lots to do in understanding our own world, why should we be interested in others first?

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Lord Safey:

NASA is planing on going back to the moon...
How can we go back to a place we've never been? Just wondering...

Oh, and I'm with Eph. Let's fix this dump before we mess up the rest of the galaxy.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #28
Edit: Damned double posts.

[ Monday, May 14, 2007 05:59: Message edited by: MarleNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #29
We'll have the technology to terraform planets a lot sooner than you seem to think...

Granted, I'd be dead or too old by then anyway, but it's not unreasonable to start thinking about ways to expand. Especially with the coming issues we'll face: we will need another source of fuel. We will need more space.

Luckily, we have solutions to those problems. "Green" and war. :D

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6923
Profile Homepage #30
How come no one has mentioned a space elevator? We're not that far away from a working design. Maybe a hundred years or so. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"There are no turtles anywhere" Ponder Stibbons
One, Two, Three, Pfhor, Five…
Avernum 2 AM Status
- Maps - Tomb of Dahris-Bok
- Annotation - Fort Draco/Ganrick Spider/Areana Caves
I have an interest in "custard titles". I want one. Now!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by MarleNik:

quote:

You know? I never thought about it like that. Honestly, I think both sides of the conspiracy have major holes in their arguments, but if the landing was faked, then I just hope I'm alive to see the government acknowledge it.

And if it was faked, then by all means let the Chinese get there first... then we'll be able to do it better. (I'd bet that if it's all been faked, then either their mission will die or just look ridiculous)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #32
If the NASA had had the funding, we would've already gone to Mars back in the 80s. What kept us from doing it already? Short-sighted fools who decided that it wasn't "cost effective" to go to Mars. Why isn't it cost effective? Cause we live in a society of throw away technology, where government and corporate greed, rather than reason and need, dictate policy. In such a set up, nothing is cost effective unless it greatly benefits the upper 1%.

Our planet won't last forever, and yet we as a species won't stop fighting amongst ourselves long enough to do what needs to be done for our own survival. By now, we could've found a way to reduce the cost of space travel and even been to Mars & colonized the Moon. By the time humanity finally gets its act together, it will most likely be too late for them.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #33
Last I checked, there is no dictate stating that the human species is doomed to exist for eternity. Further, there is no reason to believe, beyond conceit, that we are slated to propagate the universe with our kind.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #34
I can't see colonization of space as a solution to our environmental problems. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about space colonization and technology, but I just can't see it advancing fast enough to relieve overconsumption and overpopulation on Earth, let alone solve it.

That said, I don't have any real objection to it. It can provide new ideas, new technology, and better ways to do things, and I would much rather fund a space program to Mars than a war.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #35
your forgetting the technolgies that would be developed in space conolization. Any colony would have to be extremly effiecent and their would be costantly researching how to better utilize resources in ways we never even imagin. Now terraforming the moon out of the question. That doesn't mean we can't large bases. Terrarforming Mars that centruys possibly thousands of years away. Likewise we could build bases there as well. Those who think the space program isn't worth it don't of the technolgies it has developed. My dad is going to a lecture on the technolgies space exlporation has developed in about a month for an Amerture astromany group. I ask him to compile a list and I share it with you as soon as I get the list.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
Space exploration does have a tendency to produce offshoot technologies that are useful here.

I have trouble imagining us living on Mars because of the different gravity. The acceleration due to gravity is less than half there than it is here. I'm guessing that this would cause health problems, but I don't know what.

Then again, getting to an exoplanet would take a lot more than we're currently prepared to put in, so we may put a station on Mars in the not-too-distant future.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #37
On the original question, I think Chinese will get to the Moon first, because they are the only ones willing to put required amounts of money and effort into it. However, return to the Moon is just a prelude to the next step: Mars race. And I have no idea how that one is going to turn out, because Americans should get pretty passionate about not being outshined by China. Whether America still has enough of a space program by then to mount a reasonable effort is another question.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #38
What we need to do now that we've figured out how to get into space is to start to come up with better ways to actually get up into, rather than just try to go somewhere in, space. It won't be one big "look what we just did" thing, since, historically, space travel has always been a "one step at a time" thing. Once getting there is practical, then the other developments needed to go explore the universe will be easier to do.

Believe it or not, one advantage China has over the US is it's lack of experience. China has modern technology and are much more willing than the US to experiment with new things.

On a sidenote, for the most part, we don't need something to replace oil. Right now, we have solutions for ending our dependence on oil. We just need to find a way to incorporate them. Yes, them. Individually, no single one is enough. Only by combining different forms of renewable energy can end our dependence on fossil fuels.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #39
A while back, I started reading old NASA reports on the Moon landings. I took some of their ideas and changed them into something different that could actually work. Of course, there was one little error. In order for it to work perfectly, I had to have about six hundred kilograms of a material that emits a form of energy which will double in input each second if there is another equal mass of this material nearby.

My prediction is that we will develop such a substance sometime in the next 500 years, excluding sudden quantum leaps in our space sciences research.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Bandit Keith:

On a sidenote, for the most part, we don't need something to replace oil. Right now, we have solutions for ending our dependence on oil. We just need to find a way to incorporate them. Yes, them. Individually, no single one is enough. Only by combining different forms of renewable energy can end our dependence on fossil fuels.
I'm pretty sure that jet aircraft can't be powered by biodiesel. Unless we're all fine with going back to turboprops, I think the air travel will be hit pretty hard by depletion of fossil fuels.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by MarleNik:

quote:

Oh, and I'm with Eph. Let's fix this dump before we mess up the rest of the galaxy.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/conspiracy_theories.png

Edit:

Also, UBB is never wrong.

quote:
Thanks for posting!

Sit tight... We are taking you back to: To the moon
I'm so tempted to edit out the preposition from the title.

[ Tuesday, May 15, 2007 04:27: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #42
do it.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #43
Some people here seem to think that getting to space and forming colonies is some kind of a necessity. I don't get why. There are many solutions to our problems, and space travel is one of the most far-fetched and technologically unfeasible option I can think of.

Please, explain to the dimwit.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #44
Its currently not a feasible technolgy becuase it hasn't been developed. Once it gets developed it will be a lot more feasible.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

Some people here seem to think that getting to space and forming colonies is some kind of a necessity. I don't get why. There are many solutions to our problems, and space travel is one of the most far-fetched and technologically unfeasible option I can think of.

We're not going to stop a giant rock from destroying the planet, or keep the sun from exploding. We need to be ready for one of those disasters we'll never have control over. Also, by developing space colonization technologies, we may stumble onto ones that would be useful in fixing our own planet.

Now, space travel will be feasible when we figure out how to get off this rock in a more practical manor. There are many little things that we can do to improve on how we get to space. Yet, currently we aren't doing them. While we still need one really big revolution, a few small changes will help out til that revolution comes.

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

Just like with other examples of basic research, most of the benefits will be something we can't currently predict. For example, when USSR and USA were "wasting" massive amounts of money on the space race, most people couldn't predict communication satellite networks, GPS, weather monitoring satellites, etc. So while the public is attracted by prospects of Mars vacations, the real benefits will probably come from currently unexpected technological advances.

[ Tuesday, May 15, 2007 07:43: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #47
The point is that the Germans already beat both China and the United States to the moon. Hitler is still living there in his Secret Nazi Moon Base to this day.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

The point is that the Germans already beat both China and the United States to the moon. Hitler is still living there in his Secret Nazi Moon Base to this day.
Lies, Hitler was cryogenically frozen, and is awaiting the rebirth of the Aryan race, which is currently being breed on that moon colony. When the time comes, he shall strike back at the United States, who by that time will lack space travel technology will be inadequate to launch a counter attack. We tried to take him down back in the late 60s and early 70s, but failed. That's why China wants to go to the moon. To succeed where the US and Russia failed.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #49
IMAGE(http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/18/ONAMARCHESURLALUNE.JPG)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Pages