What's your favorite board game?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's your favorite board game?
Apprentice
Member # 7777
Profile #0
I have recently discovered Wise & Otherwise. A game of guessing the end of thousands of never-heard-before sayings, usually with hillarious results. While Life and Payday hold many fond memories for me, this is my new favorite.

What's yours?

--------------------
There was a wise owl who lived in an oak.
The more he heard, the less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
Settlers of Catan.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
Fireball Island, while definitley not a contender for best board game by any criteria, is unintentionally hillarious and has somewhat interesting mechanics despite itself. So it's my favorite for more or less than same reasons that Captain Planet is my favorite cartoon.

Of mores serious fare, I'm a fan of Tongiaki. I was going to mention Guillotine and Bohnanza, but those would technically be card games.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
I got a lot of mileage out of Monopoly and Backgammon. But for a game as an adult, and one that was actually invented recently, I'm with Drew: Settlers of Catan.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
I still need to play Settlers... it sounds like so much fun. But for now, I have to go with Risk and Apples to Apples.

Actually, I and a few friends are working on a board game version of Dead Rising, and it's pretty fun. We just need to refine it so you don't just die because you got stuck with two chair legs.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Stratego. Or Scrabble, but only when everyone is manipulating the rules instead of playing by them.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
Scrabble is loads of fun, and I play Risk a lot too.

My favourite, though, is an electronic version of "Deal or No Deal" we have.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #7
Risk is lots of fun. I need to learn the real rules though.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #8
I have Risk: LotR Edition, but no one will ever play with me. :(

I also enjoy Monopoly, Stratego, Chess, and Scrabble.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #9
Hmmm... the last real board game I've played was Shadows Over Camelot. Settlers of Catan had its glory days, but most people in my circles got tired of it and were too lazy to learn the expansions (C&K FTW!). I've been playing a lot of Bang! games lately.

EDIT:
quote:
The Silent Assassin attacks Alberta with 62 units. He rolls the number of a man.
Your roll.
Dintiradan 'accidently' brushes against the table, scattering all of the SA's units away from Alberta.

EDIT: Forgot Go. Don't play it nearly as much as I used to, and haven't picked up the KPA for ages, but still...

--------------------
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
- Steven Wright

[ Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:25: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #10
Risk is the ultimate board game. and everyone knows how to play, to boot.
Parcheesi tends to lead to interesting and unexpected conversation, even if the gameplay is somewhat basic.

I do still have yet to play Settlers.

Apples to Apples is not a board game. But it is the world's greatest party game.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin attacks Alberta with 62 units. He rolls the number of a man.
Your roll.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
Rivers, Roads, and Rails!

Only the greatest "board game" of all time.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Chess is the greatest game, as it involves no randomness. There are many others, and Go is a contender, but I like chess more. (Why is Go capitalized unlike other non-proprietary games?)

For recent games, TransAmerica is simple, quick, and fun. Carcassonne requires a little more detailed thought. The winner, though, is Settlers. What's not to like? It has all the backstabbing, deal-making, and feuding you could want, and it's not even a game about war!

—Alorael, who will also give recognition to Diplomacy, which he likes more in theory than in practice, and Apples to Apples, which is actually just an excuse to sit around, chat, and be witty. Results of Apples to Apples fortune telling are not guaranteed.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #13
I prefer chess, Risk, and Monopoly (not necessarily in that order).

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #14
Scrabble (played by the rules), Apples to Apples, Risk, Cranium, and Carcassonne (played not by the rules).

[+1, only I actually need it.]

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #15
Blokus can be quite fun sometimes.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
Scrabble is tops, though only because I can convincingly lie words into acceptance. Risk is a favorite too, but frankly I have little time for board games. Too much to do living out in the country, especially now that we have electricity!

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #17
Monopoly. Because Nalyd is a cold, heartless businessman.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
How about Hounds and Jackals?

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #19
Doesn't anybody here actually play real board games? *cry*

Settlers was fun for a while, but the robber started driving everybody I played with insane after a while, and the expansions weren't too much better.
Carcassone is a fun over-lunch game.

At the moment my favorite game in the "decently-heavy-but-not-too-much-so" set is definitely Puerto Rico, which kicks both of those out of the park. But I like too many games to have a favorite...Modern Art, Adel Verpflichtet (sp?), Through the Desert, Elfenland, the one I can't remember the name of where you play as a dynasty leader in the fertile crescent...

Oh, and I forgot Power Grid! Actually that might be my favorite right now. And Scotland Yard will always hold a special place in my heart because I beat my dad and his college friends at it when I was ~6 years old, and it's a real game.

If you have never heard of these games, you must play them.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Doesn't anybody here actually play real board games?
Like you peasants could ever understand.

IMAGE(http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic12752.jpg)

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #21
I'd like to second Alorael's shout out to TransAmerica. It's a great game. In my old gaming group it was our default backup game whenever we couldn't agree on what to play. It's fast, it can accomodate numbers of players that most games don't, and unlike every other game, I've never met anyone who hates it.

Speaking of hate: I really despise Elfenland. It has so many decision points, and they're pretty much all meaningless. Plus, the capital of Elfenland is the Elvenhold, which is just phonologically repulsive.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
I always liked Risk. I enjoyed a two player game to see if luck could beat strategy. Luck lost, but it was fun.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #23
Strange Synergy. I probably play it about every other day. I also like Risk and Stratego, but haven't had the chance to play either in quite a while.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #24
Monopoly, Clue, Checkers, The game of life. No particular order. There's nothing like sitting in a table and playing a game with a whole bunch of cheaters. It's frustrating, annoying, and usually ends with someone quitting. But so much fun.

Pages