What's your favorite board game?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's your favorite board game?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #25
How do you cheat at checkers? I enjoy chess, Risk, Diplomacy, Axis and Allies, Settlers of Catan, and Monopoly. I'm also in agreement with Drakey. Rivers, Roads, and Rails is quite fun.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #26
I have this Lego Bionicle board game, which totally rocks. Chess is also fun, but no-one else ever wants to play it...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #27
I hate Monopoly! You always know who's going to win 30 minutes before the game is over. I've always wanted to quit that game before it was done, even if I was winning.

Scrabble is good when playing with adults, Rumble in the Jungle is the kids' favorite. Hubby prefers Trivial Persuit but I think it's boring. How about Pictionary? I think in pictures already so I'm pretty good at that game, though it's not exactly played with a board. I love playing Chicken Foot too, but that's a domino game.

I've played Apples to Apples before. It's OK, but I wouldn't call it the best party game ever. Charades is much better.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #28
Apples to Apples depends a lot on the group of people you have. You need people who are creative, and the more shared culture, the better.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

Chess is also fun, but no-one else ever wants to play it...
I used to have that problem. I discovered that if you leave a chess set out at all times (especially if you have a nice one) people suddenly want to play more.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #30
Carcasonne is new at the moment, so I like it. Older favorites are Machiavelli and Titan. Machiavelli is essentially Diplomacy 2.0. It's set in Renaissance Italy and has a richer range of options, but everything still boils down to trust. Titan emphasizes shrewd tactics and sound grand strategy, with strategic blind luck sandwiched between.

Another old favorite was Divine Right. Superficially it was a standard fantasy wargame, but with an unusual amount of world detail. The special feature of the game was that it had enough checks and balances and chance that no advantage would ever last very long. So winning required making victory point hay while the sun shone, and cutting your losses thereafter. It was a good game because typically everyone would have a few turns of glory, and competition was almost secondary to experiencing the saga.

I found Risk to be much improved by implementing the nuclear variant. It makes the game mercifully short once the winner emerges, because any time you get more new armies to place than another player has armies on the board, you can immediately eliminate them, without having to march all over the board tracking them down. The game usually ends within an hour, with a third of the board held by the winner, a third glowing red, and a third empty.

The basic nuclear rules are as follows. Some variations exist.

1) Red pieces become nukes.

2) Any time you get to place an army, you can choose to place a nuke instead. It stays based where it was placed until it is fired; it can never move. It can be fired on the same turn it is placed, or kept indefinitely.

3) At any time during your own turn you can launch any of your nukes; this uses it up. A nuke can hit any point on the globe from any other. It always destroys exactly one enemy piece, without die rolling. If there are nukes present in the target territory, they must all be destroyed first before any conventional defenders can be nuked.

4) If all conventional defenders in a territory are nuked, a single red unit is left in the territory, to mark it as 'nuked out', until just before the attacker's next turn. No conventional units may enter any nuked out territory. So for example one cannot nuke out a country and then immediately occupy it. At the start of the next turn of the player who nuked out the territory, the lone red unit is removed, and the territory remains empty.

5) An empty territory can be occupied by any player, on their turn, by using their final 'free move' to advance into it from an adjacent territory.

6) You lose the unit bonus for controlling a continent if any of the territories in it is nuked out or empty.

7) While rule 3) means that nukes provide defense against enemy nukes, nukes count for nothing in defense against conventional attack. If an enemy conquers one of your territories by killing all conventional armies in it by conventional means, all nukes in that territory are destroyed.

8) No nukes may be fired before the fifth round of the game.

9) For some reason, a land bridge is added between western Australia and Argentina.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #31
My favortie board game is chess, as there is no luck involved. I also like Stratego, Risk, Monopoly, Scrabble, Boggle, and Upwords. I also play these games strictly by the rules, which sometimes annoys people, especially in Monopoly.

[ Friday, April 13, 2007 11:26: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
WWJD?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

How do you cheat at checkers?
Simple. Give the person a gigantic bottle of water to drink. When they get up to go to the bathroom, swap the pieces around a bit.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #33
It might work better with other beverages.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

That would make the piece-swapping redundant.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #35
Chess, defiantly chess. I also like risk, Parcheesi , cribbage, and Stratego.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Leftover Sauerkraut:

Chess, defiantly chess.
Good to know that you'll stand up for your board games. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

That would make the piece-swapping redundant.

But inevitable.

--------------------

Pages