Yet another senseless poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Yet another senseless poll
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #0
How many people here play D&D, GURPS, or RIFTS?

Poll Information
This poll contains 4 question(s). 39 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=IvfCjMxRHPtG"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=IvfCjMxRHPtG"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
I don't have a life, I have an existence. That's why I'm here.

I played GURPS when it first came out. Then a friend pointed out an early flaw that all you needed to do was put all your points to dexterity to break the system. We never played again.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #2
Apparently I have a life. I've only heard of D&D, and never, before now, heard of RIFTS of GURPS.

--------------------
All praise the greatest mod of all time! Long live Master Aran!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #3
Life? What is life? Is that what Nalyd hates? Must be. Anyway. . . Nalyd has heard of D&D. The others appear to some kind of acronyms. Awesome powers of elimination, no?

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #4
No, no, no, and yes. And this is a senseless poll.

...Dikiyobite?

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
What makes roleplaying games incompatible with a life? I understand that there may be correlation, but there's no causality.

I suppose this all depends on your definition of life. Many definitions seem to revolve around not being a nerd/geek/other word, and those in turn are defined as not participating in certain activities. If a life is a restriction, why would anyone want it. Alternatively, some define life as participation in non-nerdy/geeky activities. Again, that is not incompatible with also being nerdy/geeky.

—Alorael, who presents the above paragraph of a shining example of a red flag for being a geek and/or a nerd, although he still can't quite understand what either one means or what the difference is.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #6
go take a hike.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #7
I tried D&D once and didn't like it all that much.

This poll raises an interesting question. What do people mean when they say "get a life?" Do they mean do something more productive or interact with more people? I think the common definition of life is fraught with chip crumbs, frequent use of myspace/facebook, and the occasional party, due to the fact that I've seen plenty of productive people cut down by party-goers.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Heh. Always kinda interested in D&D, but never knew a group that played. Perhaps it's for the best, in retrospect.

Haven't the slightest clue about the others.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #9
I have played D&D. I have seen people consumed by it, so that it ate their life. I had no life to begin with, so I could go on to other economically and socially lacking activities after a session without feeling like it was my only true calling.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
No, no, no, and... no?

Yeah, Dikiyoba thinks that sounds about right.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
Luckly for us this isn't what Spiderweb games are like. But I miss gathering with friends for a game around a table.

From Knights of the Dinner Table (Issue 116):

On computer games and MMORPGs -

"There's always a 'glitch' in new computer games -- That's because the use the buying public as beta testers -- So they can point out why their damn half-baked software doesn't work and they can flood cash-paying customers with patches and work- arounds months later. Been like that for years. Coz' people just keep bending over and taking it."

"Sittin' in front of a computer in your underwear sendin' text messages isn't role-playing."

"Alone in our living rooms - gaming in the dark."
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Twelve Motion:

—Alorael, who presents the above paragraph of a shining example of a red flag for being a geek and/or a nerd, although he still can't quite understand what either one means or what the difference is.
Geeks are considered less socially apt and more fashionably clueless where I live. Some actually venture to call nerds "cool" (like I do), but I'm still working out what "cool" means.

Edit: Forgot the word "more."

[ Monday, April 09, 2007 19:43: Message edited by: Fruity Ball of Yogurty ]

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
Originally by Shard of Fire:

quote:
but I'm still working out what "cool" means.
It means you need a jacket but not a coat when you go outside. :P

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #14
No, no, no, and pretty much no.

Out of those I've only heard of D&D, but have never played it.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #15
See above.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #16
I've played D&D, and I've been trying to get a group to play again. It's sad how difficult this is.

I haven't heard of the others.

And no, I don't have a life. I have friends, family, school, work, church… and yet, still Spiderweb. :P

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
PDX is caught between hip and retro. I forget the name of the place, but over near OMSI is a computer nerd store that must be heaven for them. It has a giant Linux penguin sticker in the window, and a lot of serious people in shades of gray walk in and out. You know the type, right? Grey t-shirt over black long sleeve t, with serious square glasses and Doc Martens. I wish there was a coffee bar across the street, because they are just hilarious to watch, and I sometimes feel conspicuous just sitting there in my car, laughing.

So, the poll. I've ventured into D&D before most of you were born. The rest I know nothing about.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #18
I answered two of the questions positively, and it's up to you to determine which two!

Speaking of that, White Wolf's tabletop RPGs seem an odd omission from that list, since they're by far the second most popular game in the industry.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
What's a gurp?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #20
GURPS - Generic Universal Role-Playing System. It is a point-based RPG system that is designed to where you "Can do anything", however, to this day still horribly imbalanced and flawed. Also it takes almost the entire day to do anything that resembles a decent(with the system's randomly estimated point-value system) character.

RIFTS - an RPG system that uses these things called OCC(Occupational Character Classes) that aren't very balanced(especially anything outside of the Core Book) and a damage system that has 3(or so) different types(SDC, MDC, and Hit Points)

For the Record: I play D&D and have played GURPS & RIFTS. The D20 system, while not perfect(nothing is) is overall better than GURPS(which I hate) and RIFTS(which I don't really care for either)

To the White Wolf People: Never played White Wolf, and I forgot it even existed(much like that one about Vampires)

To the D&D people: I know what some of you mean by it being hard to find people. Within 2 months, I managed to loose 2 of my 3 gaming groups. Unfortunately, most of the people in gaming group 3 aren't ones I'd like to play more than 1 game session a week with, so I've had to look for others. Unfortunately, the only player's I've found either aren't very good role-players(and/or have no real idea how many of the rules work, but pretend to) or are unable(or unwilling) to get together on a scheduled day. As a result, I have had to resort to playing with people whom I would normally(and a I few I actually have) stab with something. All I need is one more person who's stupid, a jerk, and/or completely unreliable. Oh well...

To everyone else: Your input has been enlightening and I apologize for not making the poll more applicable to y'all.

To the D&D People(Again): Would anyone be interested in scheduling an online D&D(not playing Wizard's online game, but actually playing table-top) with me? PM me if you're interested.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #21
No, no D&D. Yes, I (not play, but instead collect) GURPS. No, no Rifts.

I have instead chosen to dedicate my life to Traveller!

And yes, I have a life, because you want me to indicate that I don't.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #22
haha, gurps

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #23
I have played D&D for a number of years, and I'm going to start playing AGOT d20 in two weeks. A few people in my gaming group used to play in a RIFTS campaign, and one of them is working on a GURPS setting. A couple have dabbled in the Tri-Stat system.

And I like to delude myself into thinking that I have a life.

--------------------
Hey, I was carrying around d20s in my velvet Crown Royal bag before you were a Will Save that your dad had to make about whether or not to pull out on time!
- THunt
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #24
GURPS was definitely one of the things I don't miss from before my HDs got wiped.

EDIT: On a sidenote, technically, there's more social interaction in RPGs like D&D than at parties and such.

Also, it should be noted that Myspace is like a forum site, only more pretentious and with less usefulness.

[ Tuesday, April 10, 2007 09:33: Message edited by: LF ]

--------------------

Pages