Yet another senseless poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Yet another senseless poll
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #25
Practically all I play is Spidweb games. Never heard of the RPGs listed, and not interested, as it might endanger my actually making a scenario.

--------------------
WWJD?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
I can understand being unfamiliar with most table-top roleplaying games, and the acronym may be unnecessarily obfuscatory, but how can you not know Dungeons and Dragons? It's the poster child of pen and paper games, it's been around for decades, and it gets all the best attention from media, conservatives, movies, and comics.

Also, more social interaction from games than from parties is entirely a matter of the games you play and the parties you attend.

—Alorael, who believes that White Wolf is the company that makes that vampire game. And some other games, too. They all use the same or similar systems. The details should be left to someone who knows more about White Wolf.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #27
The poll is a bit ill-constructed; I have at points played all those systems (as well as White Wolf games, Car Wars, Marvel Superheroes, Cyberpunk, Paranoia, variations of the system used for Shadowrun, various and sundry Palladium games, as well as several homegrown systems) but have not played at all recently, mostly due to the demands on time from law school and the difficulty of aligning the schedules of other interested but busy people. Of all of those systems, I've enjoyed AD&D the most (my experience being informed there by 1st and 2nd editions) because it's pretty simple, once everyone gets an understanding of AC, THAC0, and that you could only ever take at most 12d6 damage from a fall of any height (i.e., realism isn't what the system is about). GURPS tended to be too complex, and Palladium Games in general far too munchkin.

Like with many other activities, if you game in moderation, it's entirely possible to have a life. I've known many people who went too far, of course, and in undergrad, I certainly skirted the edge - and picked up a sport to compensate. :)

Far more detrimental, in my opinion, are large-scale single-player cRPGs. My roommate sophomore year, an otherwise upstanding physics-biology double-major and captain of the track team, got sucked into playing my copy of FF7. At one point, another friend came into our room while he was playing and upon seeing the amount of time recorded on his save file - 80+ hours - expressed shock, and then asked what my roommate could have accomplished in that time. He replied: "Oh, I don't know... maybe found a girlfriend."

As for parties, it all depends on the parties you go to, and whether you're a wallflower.

[ Tuesday, April 10, 2007 16:59: Message edited by: Drew ]
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #28
Again, I would like to apologize for my poll design. However, it is too late to do anything about it.

I would like to know, though, how someone could not have heard of Dungeons and Dragons(Satan's game, as per that one-often use- parody)

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #29
I've heard of dungeons and dragons, but I didn't realize that D&D was abbreviating it.

--------------------
WWJD?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I've heard of dungeons and dragons, but I didn't realize that D&D was abbreviating it.
This from someone who claims to have a lot of culture. ;)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #31
Ironic that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons is abbreviated AD&D, but most people with ADD are probably unable to play it.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #32
The irony is quite ironic. Personally, I blame those evil Were-Wombats...

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Apprentice
Member # 7992
Profile #33
I am a DnD player and have been for a few years now, and i am feeling the despairate player shortage, i've been playing with the same two people since i started, and noone else. I have tried educating others, but i have to overcome anti-geek bias.

if you are a DnD player in manchester area, PM me if you want a new player

--------------------
Slate Beauty
I Look Down From
Castle of the Winds
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #34
I've tried the earlier versions of D&D, and it was quite enjoyable as long as it lasted. Nowadays, me and my buddies don't have many changes to play, but I'm still looking forward to keeping a Praedor session at some point.

I'm also working on an table-top RPG-system of my own, which will based on normal playing cards. Haven't got far yet though, having problems finding a balance between cards and dice...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #35
Meh, I like to think that D&D is still alive and well in the games of today. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be suprised if even some of the more advanced games, like World of Warcraft, use the same formulas and such.

[ Friday, April 13, 2007 07:14: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Meh, I like to think that D&D is still alive and well in the games of today. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be suprised if even some of the more advanced games, like World of Warcraft, use the same formulas and such.
Not to mention games like Neverwinter Nights which advertise that fact. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #37
Truthfully, I don't see why people who play games like Fable, World of Warcraft, and the Elder Scrolls game series wouldn't play D&D(other than possibly an inherent lack of imagination and/or willingness to deal with people on a person to person basis)

I mean, they're all fantasy role-playing games. It's just a matter of the medium in which you play and who you play with.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
MMORPGs tend to be about killing things. Combat is mostly number crunching and computers handle that beautifully. Plots require people, so that's where tabletop RPGs can shine. Most pencil and paper games have very simple formulas for everything so that you can avoid using a calculator and spend as little time as possible crunching numbers. Computer games can crunch numbers as much as anyone would like.

The other big difference is scale: an MMORPG is likely to have hundreds or thousands of players online at a time. An in-person game will have only a few, and it will have the same few every time. That and the plot make for a very different experience.

—Alorael, who expects that many people would switch to computer gaming if a strong AI were available to do the calculations and make every player the focus of an interesting story. Even then, though, some people might prefer to play with a set group at a set time for the social aspect.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #39
Personally, I hate online games like World of Warcraft and such because they seem to lack a certain something. I don't know what it is, but they're missing something.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #40
The quality of pencil and paper RPGs however largely rises and falls with the imagination and management skills of the game runner. Finding not only a creative, comprehensive DM, but also a group of players willing to make the experience fun, is no small task. I gamed a lot in college, but only one particular campaign with a great DM and players other than me that lasted a summer really stands out as a truly great gaming experience. The delicate balance of personalities that made it such an incredible experience was thrown off as soon as a few other folks rejoined once school started up again in the Fall. :(

Pages