Alorael for Admin

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Alorael for Admin
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

This is the clear indication that TM is one of the most well-liked members of this community.
I don't think that's quite what it indicates. People enjoy being scared in horror movies, watching people beat each other up in a ring, and laugh when someone else gets hurts on Funniest Home Videos. We slow down when we drive by a totalled automobile in case there's something especially gruesome to be seen. TM may be popular, but that's not necessarily the same thing as well-liked. Anna Nicole Smith, Paris Hilton, Simon Cowell. See what I mean?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering whether Alorael has any say in whether Alorael would like Alorael to be an admin. I have to concur he's an optimal choice if he's actually interested in wielding ABSOLUTE POWER.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

quote:

This is the clear indication that TM is one of the most well-liked members of this community.
I don't think that's quite what it indicates. People enjoy being scared in horror movies, watching people beat each other up in a ring, and laugh when someone else gets hurts on Funniest Home Videos.

Those people also LIKE horror movies, LIKE wrestling and boxing, and LIKE AFV. Our people like TM.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
quote:

I don't think that's quite what it indicates. People enjoy being scared in horror movies, watching people beat each other up in a ring, and laugh when someone else gets hurts on Funniest Home Videos. We slow down when we drive by a totalled automobile in case there's something especially gruesome to be seen. TM may be popular, but that's not necessarily the same thing as well-liked. Anna Nicole Smith, Paris Hilton, Simon Cowell. See what I mean?
No, I don't. This crowd (habitual users of SW Forums) is not typical. I know that I don't pause for accidents unless they are so recent that my assistance is needed. I don't watch fights or Pat Sajak, or whoever does the Stupidest Americans on Video show. The three people you mentioned are equally ignored. I admit I got a good laugh at all the ANS jokes when she died, but the other two are meaningless to me. Not disliked, just without meaning. As far as TM, that is a different story.

TM cares about the software that is produced by SW. He designs scenarios, he counsels other designers, he writes articles on how to design. He is passionate about it, and yes sometimes his passion is a little more extreme than some of the thin-skinned can handle. I still think Alorael is a more realistic candidate, but I have to heartily disagree that TM shouldn't be a candidate because you think that he is viewed as a freakshow or accident participant. That just ain't right, and you may not be the right person to make that judgement call.

Edit - Alorael asks that we send more pedestrians.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #28
You misunderstand me. I actually rather like TM. I'm not convinced his likability factor is the primary reason for his popularity. He probably would make a good mod, and I wouldn't be sorry to see him around again. No need to extrapolate from one point which doesn't even indicate my own opinion. I think a lot of people enjoy having TM around for the entertainment factor, even if they dislike him.

-S-

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 15:55: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #29
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Lazarus:
:
TM FOR ADMIN!!!

The campaign to unban TM is the most widely supported campaign on these forums.

Actually, the campaign of Alorael for Admin seems more popular. :P

I suppose I cast my informal vote to Alorael, but in my mind he's only superior by a small margin. Aran isn't around as much lately and Imban doesn't post often, but really, in the end few current moderators would do things differently from one another if they were administrators.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #30
Oh, Zeviz, I'm so sorry. I suggested that a universally popular figure be put in a position of power he's unlikely to abuse and an election broke out.

This must be all of your nightmares come true at once.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #31
Alorael for Admin? Why would anyone say no! :eek: I support this course of action 150% and bid it God's Speed. :D :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #32
I seriously think TM would do a good job, but I definitely agree that Alorael would do well. We most assuredly need a new admin. omeone whos' actually here a lot of the time.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #33
Just because I do not post, does not mean I do not watch. While I am busy, I usually check over the boards. I generally leave things up to the mods to handle the day to day affairs of locking topics, yelling at people, etc. If I see one that is particularly bad, I'll close it myself.

Usually things have to be fairly serious to merit administrative action. Realistically all an admin does is ban people and take similar decisive action. Over the past couple months, there hasn't been anything really serious enough for an admin to get involved.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
Aw, this topic really makes me miss TM. He would have known just what to say in a thread like this. I really do appreciate the gesture, irony and all. Sadly, you just don't understand the deadly world of mod board politicking. My rise to absolute power was thwarted by the Off-White Lemon Triumvirate back in 2003.

Sorry, guys.

Oh, I forgot the most important part!

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

—Alorael, who also blames Drakey and his monomaniacal quest to prevent the attainment of a custom title. Curses upon you, Drakey! Curses!

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 18:59: Message edited by: Thought ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Thought:

Aw, this topic really makes me miss TM. He would have known just what to say in a thread like this.
But then TM would be banned again. At least you rarely get banned and then we didn't even notice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #36
I'm not clear why we need another admin either. I agree with Dikiyoba; more active moderation would make the community better. But I fail to see anything lacking in our two administrators, either in terms of quality or quantity.

As for TM: TM is my friend, I talk to him regularly and certainly respect him more than most people here. And I agree, the boards are not better off without him. However, he absolutely deserves to be permabanned, and frankly, it should have happened months and probably years earlier. Although I like TM better than Don Giovanni, his fate reminds me of the Don's. The Powers That Be were unnecessarily patient with his contempt!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Just because I do not post, does not mean I do not watch. While I am busy, I usually check over the boards. I generally leave things up to the mods to handle the day to day affairs of locking topics, yelling at people, etc. If I see one that is particularly bad, I'll close it myself.

Usually things have to be fairly serious to merit administrative action. Realistically all an admin does is ban people and take similar decisive action. Over the past couple months, there hasn't been anything really serious enough for an admin to get involved.

You're right, and I really don't think you guys deserve reproach for inaction. On the other hand, another admin certainly couldn't hurt - and Alorael's unusual activity, level-headedness, and amiability would be an asset in the position.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #38
quote:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Seconded.

quote:

[b]—Alorael, who also blames Drakey and his monomaniacal quest to prevent the attainment of a custom title. Curses upon you, Drakey! Curses!
Which reminds me: where is Drakefyre actually? I an't remember having seen him for a long time now.

And oh yeah: Alo for adminthingie!

TM would be... interesting.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #39
I don't think TM should be admin anything just yet, but at the very least I suppose unbanning him for a while couldn't hurt, unless he actually did enough bad stuff to merit it(which I honestly don't remember whether he did or didn't).

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #40
quote:

quote:

Meanwhile, I'm wondering whether Alorael has any say in whether Alorael would like Alorael to be an admin. I have to concur he's an optimal choice if he's actually interested in wielding ABSOLUTE POWER.

-S-

Douglas Adams wisely said the opposite: If he were actually interested in wielding absolute power, he would no longer be an optimal choice...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #41
I'm going to just nod and go with general consensus. I mean, I don't make a habit of posting goatse or images of your mom, so why do I need to care about who is an admin?

Answers on postcards, please.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

We need more administrators. The ones we have now are doing the job OK (well, except Linda, when she shows up), but more admin activity could do a lot to restrict the level of nastiness possible in periods of administrative inertness and make instant negative feedback for villainy easier to implement.

Alorael is perfectly qualified.

1) His post count exhibits the two things he is capable of: hanging around for a long time all over the place.
2) He is blameless and his elevation would engender fairly little controversy.
3) He is a Jew.
4) Some other reason.

Elevate him now!

I wonder who's next *wink wink, nudge nudge*

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Never trust a man who can say "Pickles" with a manic gleam in his eye.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #43
The mob speaks.

Take a look at this. I'm sure you will find it useful. It's a great way to get in contact with people. Especially admins. That way, you can lucidly request something.

--------------------
People think barbarians only good in fights, but there are many hidden benefits to class in social situations. For example screaming bloody fury is great ice-breaker at parties. And fast movement good for getting to front of buffet line.
- Gortok (OotS #132)
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #44
quote:

9. Every active moderator should be an administrator.
Well said, this would put an end to a lot of what's been going on lately. Alorael most of all would make an excellent admin, but at the same time any of our current mods would be good for the job.

TM would actually be a good mod or admin, but simply unbanning sounds better, IMO. TM is well like because of his contributions to both communities, he's thoughtful in debates, and honesty most of his attacks on "noobs" were well deserved. That said he was aware he'd get banned if he continued, so it was deserved; though perm ban is a bit harsh considering how many like him and how much he's contributed.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #45
How about this:
Why can't we choose to elect the most old most well rated members of spiderweb software?
And then after having elected him as a mod he would become an adminstrator after being a very active moderator.

[ Wednesday, March 28, 2007 06:49: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #46
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

How about this:
Why can't we choose to elect the most old most well rated members of spiderweb software?
And then after having elected him as a mod he would become an adminstrator after being a very active moderator.

Because you touch yourself at night... I'm sorry, I just had to use that one at some point in my life. No hard feelings, right? Ouch, bad pun... sorry again.

Anyway. TM should be de-banned and Alorael should be an Admin. That about sums it up.

[ Wednesday, March 28, 2007 07:10: Message edited by: LF ]

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
quote:

How about this:

There are extremely infrequent moderator elections, but part of the problem is the UBB's limit on admins: four and only four per section. There's only so much room when there isn't any significant mod turnover.

—Alorael, who still can't say anything about those smoky back room politics. Except, of course, that tea samplers are the keys to power.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #48
We might want to fill all the boards to their maximum moderating level, so that every board has four moderators (or at least three). We might also want to replace a moderator or two who have been inactive and pretty much left Spidweb.

I move that Tech Support, BoA, BoAE, Nethergate, BoE, RWG, and Subterra all get additional mods. All of these forums have empty spots (or at least would if we replaced Brett Bixler, who doesn't really visit Spidweb at all anymore — and while we're at it, although Ash is here on a regular basis, I don't think The Creator is).

We could just add Alo as an extra mod to any forums he doesn't already mod (Tech Support, Subterra, Nethergate, maybe the Blades boards), and find another mod for the Blades boards (gee, I wonder who might be qualified for that). Since even after adding Alo, Nethergate would still only have two mods, we'd probably want to add another one there, too.

[ Wednesday, March 28, 2007 08:17: Message edited by: Malakos the Freshly-Plowed ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by LF:

quote:

How about this:

Because you touch yourself at night... I'm sorry, I just had to use that one at some point in my life. No hard feelings, right? Ouch, bad pun... sorry again.

At least our people can halfheartedly replace TM. If they'd just quit being so apologetic...

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.

Pages