Why You Suck

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why You Suck
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

The most active topic on Desp is a roundtable on morality, theology, and ethics.[/URL] By contrast, the most active topics on Spiderweb are this and Episode 3 and the most active topics on Polaris are about old members, those welcoming them back, and those wishing them a happy birthday.

Tu quoque only even vaguely works when tu is quoque, Zeviz. :P

I do agree that Desp can get a lot smarter than Spiderweb when the members want it to, however you can't compare forums simply by looking at their respective "most active" topics. On a lot of forums the most active topics will be word-posting games and that kind of stuff, and that does not necessarily mean these forums are the epitome of silliness - in fact , they can even be forums about ethics and politics, believe it or not.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #76
"Circular reasoning"...Kel, you seem to love to attack what is your perception of my reasoning, but my experience is that you frequently miss the gist and quality of my comments, almost consistently so. I talk about quality, and your comments seem to seek to reduce mine to quantity. Namely, they frequently get reduced to dualistic categorization, which I despise. My comments usually attempt to point at values measured on some kind of continua.

I am neither "for" nor "against" online community. It is not about whether or not they qualify as "relationships" or "community" or "reality" in a dualistic sense of being or not being something. I am commenting on relative value and signficance, and the online world is for many many people a pale substitute for real life human interaction and relationship. This is a huge "duh" and I'm not wanting to belabor a point we should all realize readily. It is curious to me that very few people ever refer to this aspect as they argue, dissect, and obsess over the unreal world of a bunch of game fans writing conversations online. It gives the impression of gravity to an environment that is so inconsequential in the big picture.

I choose to be here too, at least on and off, obviously. I enjoy online communication and think it's a fantastic modern wonder. I have known many many people to some degree in the last 11 years I have been online. The ones who have had more significance and memorability in my life are the ones I wound up meeting for some reason. My comments are not an attack on online community. I am poking at the self-reverence and obsessiveness I witness in an online community about something wholly disposable in the big picture (playing games,) which is really rather absurd.

I'll poke fun at myself in the process, for my own degree of investment in something that is so inconsequential, and, truth be told, a potential great waster of time in my own life. That people seem to take it all so seriously truly weirds me out.

-S-

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 23:08: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

Maybe if a character in Diki's story started writing poetry? Would you then see Alec's point?
Only if it was slith poetry.

A slith character, writing poetry in nephilim (Vahnatai style).

You mean he is actually sitting in a Nephil and writing things? I do hope you meant "The nephil language" (or call it Nephilian if you wish, which was it's first title, untill it got such critisism that I changed it. Oh well).

Synergy: What kelandon is saying, if I understand him correctly, is indeed probably right. We are and remain human beings and any sense of affection that we get, be it real or an illusion, will be taken as 'real.' That meaning, that if I develop a certain relationship with somebody here that comes close, will make me feel that it is actually coming close and will affect my life.

Take Ed for example: I talked with him now and then because I was sort of curious as to how he was doing, and at a certain point he had this girlfriend that he met over MSN. He was in love with her all right, same goes for all the other people with which this happens.

That said, this doesn't mean I don't agree with you, Synergy, on the whole of what you are saying. I, too, think that message boards and chatclients are not more than an illusion which shouldn't bother me all to much. Fact is that even though I know this, I do get angry, irritated, happy or whatever as a reaction to post, and whenever I am irritated or angry, it does affect the rest of my day untill I have cleared things up.

Then why am I here? Because I am a scenario designer and like helping people who have problems with it. To be honest, I have almost stopped posting in general because it lost my interest. For that kind of stuff I know went to Shadow vale.

Alorael: I fear that you are right. Most posts here probably are a product of on-the-spot thinking. We are in a fast-paced society here. Thinking isn't much of an option anymore. Things have to be quick, and at a message boards where people seem to want intelectual discussions problems start to arise. Mind you, i don't like the "intelectual" discussions here or anywhere else on the internet, and I don't want them.

Look, and this has been said already, if you want intelectual stuff, then post it. make a topic! The fact that nobody has done so, is for me proof that people don't need or want it, or just don't have the patience to deal with it (which I can fully understand).

quote:
By Alec: You're one to talk about being 'sniped'. I've been banned. Where are your scars, little man?
Alec: So, according to your reasoning, Ephesos can be insulted by you, because he has less scars than you have? (you probably don't mean that, but it is what you are saying). It sort of reminds me of...

quote:
a spoiled, prissy child.
Face it, we are human beings and we don't like it to be insulted or whatever, even if not intentional. the fact that it happened to you doesn't mean you should do it to others.

This thread amuses me. Please go on.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Look, and this has been said already, if you want intelectual stuff, then post it. make a topic! The fact that nobody has done so, is for me proof that people don't need or want it, or just don't have the patience to deal with it (which I can fully understand).
whut

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

quote:

whut

I know, and it needed this topic to make it happen. If this topic wouldn't be here, that topic wouldn't have been made, now would it, and that is where the fault is. please try to understand that there is a lack of initiative, okay?

[ Thursday, February 22, 2007 02:18: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #80
quote:

I know, and it needed this topic to make it happen. If this topic wouldn't be here, that topic wouldn't have been made, now would it, and that is where the fault is. please try to understand that there is a lack of initiative, okay?
Alec took the initiative to make this topic, which prompted Cylon to take the initiative to make that topic. How exactly is that a lack of initiative?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #81
Are you saying it was the primary intention of either poster to actually improve the boards?

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #82
One does not hang around on a forum that sucks unless one wishes to make it suck less.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #83
Thuryl: Was there any initiative to make many of these topics before this thread?

Also, one can hang around on a forum that sucks without actually doing something about it, of course you can. You just have to have the right level of ignorance.

By the way, is it your opinion that SW sucks? In that case, go make a topic now that is interesting (and not about Bush, please), otherwise, what are you doing here anyway?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #84
C is for Cookie,
That's good enough for me!
C is for Cookie,
That's good enough for me!
C is for Cookie,
That's good enough for me,
Oh, Cookie Cookie Cookie starts with C!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Namely, they frequently get reduced to dualistic categorization, which I despise. My comments usually attempt to point at values measured on some kind of continua.
This is completely out of left field. How did this have any relation to what I said?

Synergy, will you do me a favor? Paraphrase the point that I made in my previous post. I'm pretty sure that whatever you think I said is not at all what I actually said, but in order to know for sure, I have to know what you think I said.

[ Thursday, February 22, 2007 05:43: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #86
Consciously starting a topic in order to improve the forum is at least a start. Perhaps with a bit of practice, we can eventually fall back into a pattern that makes these topics spring up "on their own", without someone thinking "we need a smart debate in here to ward off decadence". But for now, the former is enough.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #87
NOTE: this would have gotten posted a LOT earlier, but my connection went out for a while.

quote:

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Again, probably. This is simply what I've seen from observing the boards. So again, I may be wrong. In fact, there's a good chance I'm wrong on this one. Take that as you will.
So, when I say
quote:
Many people probably decide to post after smoking crack cocaine and injesting psylocibin mushrooms, following their 24 hour stint in the nearest strip club, both as an employee and patron, so they likely shouldn't be posting or discussing such matters anyway.
you feel that it is a fair statement to make because I used the word "probably"???

No, but I didn't just pull this out of thin air. Unless something is desperately wrong with my reading/writing skills that is invisible to me, a part of the top quote reads: "This is simply what I've seen from observing the boards." I'll show you where I came up with this claim.
quote:
There isn't a rule stating that topics must be philosophical/scientific/etc. Frankly, if there was, I wouldn't post very often in the General Forum, and several others probably wouldn't either.
Pick any of the meta-post or otherwise less-than-genius topics out there. For starters, look at Soda, Things to improve..., Episode 3 Continued, and Spiderweb Monthly Stats. What do you see? A lot of posts by a wide variety of posters.

Now, take a look at the more intelligent selection: Egg-laying, Saddam's Execution, American - Canadian Relationships, etc. Note that they have far shorter lifespans and have fewer regular participants. Sure, there's the occasional interjection by another member, but for the most part, it's just a small handful of members debating. Compare that to the larger numbers in the meta-post selection, and you can see where I drew those conclusions.

EDIT: Tags.

[ Thursday, February 22, 2007 09:18: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #88
a

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #89
My keyboard is going nuts on me and my computer is pretty much doing what it wants, so I'm not sure if this post is going hrough or not. Could I get someone to PM me if they see any of my posts on this page?

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #90
PM sent. Hope it helps.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #91
quote:
Now, take a look at the more intelligent selection: Egg-laying, Saddam's Execution, American - Canadian Relationships, etc. Note that they have far shorter lifespans and have fewer regular participants. Sure, there's the occasional interjection by another member, but for the most part, it's just a small handful of members debating. Compare that to the larger numbers in the meta-post selection, and you can see where I drew those conclusions.

You know, I often read those but rarely contribute. I've come to the conclusion that it's a lot of work to properly support arguments and I'm not that concerned with changing another's mind on the matter/showing where I stand. Tossing out dreck, says to me that I'm still alive but thinking and regurgitating - takes away from leisure time.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #92
Synergy, I think you're right about quality, in a way, but you're missing kind. Online relationships really just aren't anything at all like in-person relationships. I'd be much more unhappy without the latter than without the former, which speaks to your quality argument. On the other hand, I think I'd be unhappier with no online life because I'd miss it for precisely what it is and isn't. Obligatory odd metaphor: I can prefer peas to lima beans but still want to eat lima beans sometimes.

quote:
Originally written by Thralni[b:

Alorael] I fear that you are right. Most posts here probably are a product of on-the-spot thinking. We are in a fast-paced society here. Thinking isn't much of an option anymore. Things have to be quick, and at a message boards where people seem to want intelectual discussions problems start to arise. Mind you, i don't like the "intelectual" discussions here or anywhere else on the internet, and I don't want them.[/b]
I don't see how that's any different from a conversation in person. In fact, I'd say posts have slightly more thought because we do have more time to think if we want it. I don't know about you, but most of my conversations are pretty meaningless. I do enjoy conversing intellectually, though, whether online or off.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure how Kel and Syn started picking fights with each other in serious threads. It's become quite a habit, though, and it's unfortunate.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #93
Originally by Fatman:

quote:
You know, I often read those but rarely contribute. I've come to the conclusion that it's a lot of work to properly support arguments and I'm not that concerned with changing another's mind on the matter/showing where I stand.
That is basically what Dikiyoba does as well.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #94
Come on Fatman and Diki, hearing yourself talk is what the internet is all about!

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #95
quote:

Thuryl: Was there any initiative to make many of these topics before this thread?
You mean, was there an initiative to make many of these topics before someone took the initiative to make these topics? Don't you see how unfair that question is?

quote:

Now, take a look at the more intelligent selection: Egg-laying,
Not exactly what I would call an intelligent topic.
quote:
Saddam's Execution,
Lasted 5 pages; I'd say that's pretty good.

quote:
American - Canadian Relationships,
Of interest only to Canadians and those few Americans who actually care about Canada, and yet it still lasted 3 pages, which is longer than the soda topic has lasted so far.

You didn't exactly pick the best examples to make your point.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

You didn't exactly pick the best examples to make your point.
On the contrary. They make my point very well. Let me explain how.

quote:
quote:

Now, take a look at the more intelligent selection: Egg-laying,
Not exactly what I would call an intelligent topic.

There probably is a more intelligent one, but I'm a member, not a portion of UBB's search function. Anyway, it was pretty much fun and games for two pages, and then it turned serious. Three pages later, it dropped off the radar, and was never heard from since. Still doesn't hold a candle to most of the meta-topics.
quote:
quote:
Saddam's Execution,
Lasted 5 pages; I'd say that's pretty good.

Again, it still didn't hold a candle to our more senseless pursuits. Episode 3 has a total of 52 pages. The above topic can't even claim an 8th of that. It's not even as long as our average monthly stat count. In fact, it's not even half of that.
quote:
quote:
American - Canadian Relationships,
Of interest only to Canadians and those few Americans who actually care about Canada, and yet it still lasted 3 pages, which is longer than the soda topic has lasted so far.

True, but the soda topic is only two days old, and it already has two pages. It took four days for the Ame-Can topic to reach three pages.

If you have better examples, please present them.

I have a theory on this. Basically, the reason meta-topics last longer than intellectual topics is because it is easier to connect to the simpler meta-topics. Also, meta-topics have a propensity to continually evolve, granting them a longer lifespan than intellectual topics which generally stay stuck in the same area. Also, intellectual topics tend to wind up with everyone grinding each other down to a stalemate rather quickly. No one is really ends up interested in budging on their side of the issue, and the topic pays for it in the end. Or, the topic simply gets exhausted, and there's nothing left to talk about. Meta-topics avoid this by constantly changing with their members, which is also why they constantly get off the original subject. They aren't getting derailed, they're evolving, and changing to a new environment. Thus, meta-topics survive longer than intellectual ones.

EDIT: Tags again. :mad:

[ Thursday, February 22, 2007 16:34: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #97
quote:
Originally written by When That Was:

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure how Kel and Syn started picking fights with each other in serious threads. It's become quite a habit, though, and it's unfortunate.
This is not a fight. Don't call it that. Disagreement is not even remotely the same as a fight. You, on the other hand, have annoyed me now.

[ Thursday, February 22, 2007 17:16: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #98
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
Again, it still didn't hold a candle to our more senseless pursuits. Episode 3 has a total of 52 pages. The above topic can't even claim an 8th of that.
Don't forget that the Episode 3 threads were around for a lot longer (so the pages per day is a lot closer than it looks) and had outside support to keep interest high, whereas the execution thread had to support itself.

Anyway, just comparing two topics can let you draw just about any conclusion you want. I could compare the soda topic to a debate topic that took off like a rocket (Synergy's massive topic, for instance) and conclude that debates are much more interesting than simpler topics, but that wouldn't make it right.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Wrong tag.

[ Thursday, February 22, 2007 17:50: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #99
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Anyway, just comparing two topics can let you draw just about any conclusion you want. I could compare the soda topic to a debate topic that took off like a rocket (Synergy's massive topic, for instance) and conclude that debates are much more interesting than simpler topics, but that wouldn't make it right.
That's why I didn't compare just two topics, and there are exceptions to every rule (or in this case, theory). You can compare any of the intellectual examples cited to any of the meta-examples, and the meta-topics will come out on top.

And Synergy's topic had more behind it than simple debate.

--------------------

Pages