Why You Suck

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why You Suck
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #25
I wonder if the creators of Seinfeld could sue for intellectual property rights infringement.

Diki is writing stories that place the Spiderweb forums, and the people that visit them, within the artificial realm of the games made by Vogel. They are not about the games, or the company, but about the people that visit the forums.

Maybe if a character in Diki's story started writing poetry? Would you then see Alec's point?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Maybe if a character in Diki's story started writing poetry? Would you then see Alec's point?
Only if it was slith poetry.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #27
There aren't that many references to Dikiyoba's script on the forums, with the exception of one thread.
It's not as if Diki's story was a sticky thread in the Geneforge 4 forum.
General is the new misc forum, and should be seen as such. Writing about the people who visit the forums started long ago : See TM's moniker thread, or the Inn of Blades, or even some old (now probably deleted) Desp articles about Alec, TM and Vince Fizz.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Alec:

'Anyone who offers an opinion gets sniped pretty damn quickly' is an unusually non-self-righteous way of putting how you're treating me.
Goddamn it Alec, you're the one who started the self-righteousness here. You're the one with the stones to start a topic telling everyone here they suck, and why they suck, and why nobody can ever hope to equal the excellence that you have so patiently graced us with.

That's all I have to say.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

Critical differences are at work here, by the way, between what you cite as old and what you cite as new. 'Diki's story' is worthless as a referent for humor (no offense, Diki) because it uses SW as a referent to begin with. It's all recursive and idiotic to hinge jokes on references to it.

You are aware that there are a lot of people who would disagree with you, right? You are also aware that this story was not written for you, right?
Presumably you're also aware that not everyone would find Desp jokes funny, and I certainly hope that you understand that there's absolutely no reason why Dikiyoba should go out of her way to please you. Not everyone has the same sense of humor.

And if you seriously think Dikiyoba's story is to become the only source of humor for SW, you're just paranoid.

You have me entirely wrong. The problem with Diki's story is not that I don't find it funny. (I don't, but that's between me and her.) Even if I did find it funny, I wouldn't consider using it as a referent acceptable - because it uses as a referent the very community that feels compelled to whip it out to it.

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

[b]
quote:
Originally written by Alec:

'Anyone who offers an opinion gets sniped pretty damn quickly' is an unusually non-self-righteous way of putting how you're treating me.
Goddamn it Alec, you're the one who started the self-righteousness here. You're the one with the stones to start a topic telling everyone here they suck, and why they suck, and why nobody can ever hope to equal the excellence that you have so patiently graced us with.
[/b]
'Self-righteous'? I'm hurt - that's me being gracious.

My point is this: your problem seems to be that you have abandoned any serious discussion and stucked to the regions of SW where boys get fondled. Now, if your only interest were boys (which I could say is at least true of, I don't know, Synergy), that'd be understandable.

But the fact of the matter is, better people than you get beaten down harder than you. (I'm not the only one whose 'sniping' has ended in administrative action. For instance, there's Ashby.) Either you're ignorant of that, in which case I intend to rectify that because ignorance sucks, or you're using it as an excuse.

I guess it's unfair to blame you for not knowing it, but things used to be a hell of a lot more kinetic. Saying the big, slow softballs being thrown around in the modern SW discussion topics are just too much for you puts me (and, surely, anyone who REMEMBERS when the softballs weren't) in the mind of a spoiled, prissy child.

I'm not trying to be insulting here, and I think it's pretty presumptive for you and especially the other dude to take this as some kind of personal affront on your dignity; I don't even know you well enough to stuff you into a pigeonhole, which is why I find it sufficient to make innuendo concerning you and the Cub Scouts. But you've wandered into a forum, not a tiny clustered community, but something continuously attracting new members where some semblance of personal discipline is required.

There's Polaris for those of you who love nothing more than blogging and filking and wishing one another happy birthdays. The rest of us are not here to hear you maunder on about your friends or your e-celebrity.

Part of why I make a periodic habit of quitting and rejoining, except when I left for the first time, being a youth and in a huff - the biggest part of it is that there's an air of celebrity. I've never much cared for the discourse of celebrity, and it strikes a resentful chord somewhere deep down when there's a topic where people discuss me that I've never even read. I don't want to be a celebrity. I don't want people to talk about me. I want people to talk about what I have to say.

Every once in a while, I start up a new account and bask in anonymity. There's no telling how many there are now, but it's certainly a lot.

Why do I bother? It's all pointless and ephemeral anyway.

Because so is everything else, in the long run, and in a way this is practice for the way everything else is. If the only thing you can offer to the world is in-jokes, who are you, really? I treat it all as practice, which is why I am where I am and why you are where you are, and why we're all bothering sending off pointless words to people we will never meet.

While I type all of this, there are thousands of people dying for whatever reason. Having a pastime - it doesn't rate 'hobby', quite - which has no purpose at all just seems immoral, in the face of all that.

Of course, there's also that I find talking about how evol fluffy turtles are to be grating, and have for years. But I've always been odd that way.

IMAGE(http://www.dancestore.com/images/wingtip-new-bw-lg.jpg)

[ Tuesday, February 20, 2007 23:18: Message edited by: Protocols of the Elders of Zion ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
'Diki's story' is worthless as a referent for humor (no offense, Diki) because it uses SW as a referent to begin with. It's all recursive and idiotic to hinge jokes on references to it. I suppose the next step would be some kind of asinine comic that makes nothing but references to 'Diki's story' and then people limit their humorous purview to that.
We are becoming like one of those movies that the rights holder keeps making spin-off merchandise from. The horror! :eek:

Well Alec, you have my attention. Is there anything that could save this place?

Mh... for starters, I could set the post stats private, I guess.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #31
quote:

quote:

Only if it was slith poetry.

A slith character, writing poetry in nephilim (Vahnatai style).

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #32
quote:

quote:

quote:

Critical differences are at work here, by the way, between what you cite as old and what you cite as new. 'Diki's story' is worthless as a referent for humor (no offense, Diki) because it uses SW as a referent to begin with. It's all recursive and idiotic to hinge jokes on references to it.

You are aware that there are a lot of people who would disagree with you, right? You are also aware that this story was not written for you, right?
Presumably you're also aware that not everyone would find Desp jokes funny, and I certainly hope that you understand that there's absolutely no reason why Dikiyoba should go out of her way to please you. Not everyone has the same sense of humor.

And if you seriously think Dikiyoba's story is to become the only source of humor for SW, you're just paranoid.

You have me entirely wrong. The problem with Diki's story is not that I don't find it funny. (I don't, but that's between me and her.) Even if I did find it funny, I wouldn't consider using it as a referent acceptable - because it uses as a referent the very community that feels compelled to whip it out to it.

Oh, okay. You're complaining about the fact that Diki's story is a referent, and some jokes are using Diki's story as a referent, so these jokes are used as a referent to a referent. The snake's biting its own tail and all that.
Can't argue with you on that one, I suppose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #33
quote:

[QUOTE]The snake's biting its own tail and all that.

Exactly right.

That Ouroboros element has always been there, but of late it just seems to be all anyone is concerned with. It is probably just the ramblings of an old man - which is why I am trying to make a semi-formal study of this. I am not in the business of going beyond the hypothetical unless I've got me some evidence.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #34
Alec, you're pulling out invective and making extremely nasty personal attacks. That isn't gracious.

I kind of understand the distinction you're painting about Dikiyoba's stories. However, I'm not clear on

1) How a joke that references the boards themselves in any more of an in-joke or any more "meta" than a joke that simply references members of the boards.

2) What exactly makes "meta" topical posts or jokes worse than their counterparts. Everything here is cud-chewing anyway.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #35
Some of the people who could best provide interesting discussions here seem to prefer caustic ranting instead. There's an opportunity cost.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
quote:

the very community that feels compelled to whip it out to it.
quote:
your problem seems to be that you have abandoned any serious discussion and stucked to the regions of SW where boys get fondled.
quote:
if your only interest were boys (which I could say is at least true of, I don't know, Synergy)
quote:
better people than you
quote:
you're ignorant
quote:
you're using it as an excuse.
quote:
spoiled, prissy child.
quote:
pretty presumptive for you and especially the other dude
quote:
make innuendo concerning you and the Cub Scouts
quote:
blogging and filking
quote:
maunder
quote:
I'm not trying to be insulting here

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #37
There seem to be 3 types of opinions expressed in this thread:

1. "You suck." - This implies that the poster doesn't consider himself a part of these forums and has low opinion about them. In that case, what are you [the poster] doing here anyway? Go hang out with somebody who doesn't "suck".

2. "We suck." - This implies that the poster thinks there is a problem and he is part of it. In that case, stop wasting your time here and become part of the solution. Go and make those great, fun, engaging, and informative threads you've been longing for.

3. "We are fine." - The poster thinks there is no problem. In this case, why are you wasting your time reading this thread?

Conclusion: Everybody posting here is wasting time that could be more productively spent elsewhere.

quote:

What would happen if I came to Desperance and posted a thread "Why You Suck" which said "This place is just a cesspit of obscene images and old in-jokes"?

You've dealt out more insults in your first post alone than you've received in this entire thread, so your "oh, the poor, victimized me" attitude is completely unwarranted.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

What would happen if I came to Desperance and posted a thread "Why You Suck" which said "This place is just a cesspit of obscene images and old in-jokes"?
You know, that's nearly what I was about to write in my first to reply to Alec, but then I realised it would be hypocritical, because a few Desp jokes do manage to make me laugh now and then.

Anyway, Alec's point is that Spiderweb General doesn't really serve any truly useful/interesting purposes anymore (or at least, much less than before).
Desperance... isn't what it used to be, judging from Drakefyre's comments, but at least one aspect of its purpose is still satisfied. Heavily. :P
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #39
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Well, given that you'd have registered on Desp (or first posted, anyway) yesterday, it'd be a little suspect.

You know the situations are different, Zeviz. Don't be silly and make false analogies.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering? The most active topic on Desp is a roundtable on morality, theology, and ethics. By contrast, the most active topics on Spiderweb are this and Episode 3 and the most active topics on Polaris are about old members, those welcoming them back, and those wishing them a happy birthday.

Tu quoque only even vaguely works when tu is quoque, Zeviz. :P

quote:
You've dealt out more insults in your first post alone than you've received in this entire thread, so your "oh, the poor, victimized me" attitude is completely unwarranted.
Point me to an insult in the first post. Any single one.

Now, Zeviz, 'Why you suck' is a way of being provocative, but I'm trying to do two things: (a) trigger an objective look at something serious and (b) motivate some kind of change here with (a).

If you could get over your deep-rooted desire to take frivolous pot-shots at me for a minute, it's something that you could, if not get behind, at least appreciate.

quote:

quote:

the very community that feels compelled to whip it out to it.
quote:
your problem seems to be that you have abandoned any serious discussion and stucked to the regions of SW where boys get fondled.
quote:
if your only interest were boys (which I could say is at least true of, I don't know, Synergy)
quote:
better people than you
quote:
you're ignorant
quote:
you're using it as an excuse.
quote:
spoiled, prissy child.
quote:
pretty presumptive for you and especially the other dude
quote:
make innuendo concerning you and the Cub Scouts
quote:
blogging and filking
quote:
maunder
quote:
I'm not trying to be insulting here

This is how I talk, Kel. You and I both know that. Drop the Scarlett O'Hara routine, wouldja? You've already scored all the points you're going to on me by getting the vapors. :P

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:08: Message edited by: Protocols of the Elders of Zion ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #40
quote:
his is how I talk, Kel. You and I both know that. Drop the Scarlett O'Hara routine, wouldja? You've already scored all the points you're going to on me by getting the vapors.
Doesn't validate it any more than if I routinely cursed and then included such talk in my posting here.

If the shoe fits...

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #41
Perhaps I'm wrong, and if so, feel free to correct me, but I thought the purpose of the General forum was the discussion of almost any topic you could think of within the CoC, and for fans of Spiderweb to congregate and talk with each other, and get each others opinions on certain topics of conversation. If so, I'd say the General forum is doing it's job as well as could be hoped. There isn't a rule stating that topics must be philosophical/scientific/etc. Frankly, if there was, I wouldn't post very often in the General Forum, and several others probably wouldn't either. This forum is about games, not about subjects that could only be understood by people with off-the-charts IQ. Besides, many people probably come here after a stressful job or such, and probably wouldn't be interested in discussing such matters anyway.

EDIT: Dropped a word.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:34: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I'm wrong.
You would help your case if you only talked about why you are here. Speculating on the motivations of others is what leads to trouble.

Or hilarity.

Consider yourself corrected.

--------------------
quote:

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #43
By Alec:
quote:
Part of why I make a periodic habit of quitting and rejoining, except when I left for the first time, being a youth and in a huff - the biggest part of it is that there's an air of celebrity. I've never much cared for the discourse of celebrity, and it strikes a resentful chord somewhere deep down when there's a topic where people discuss me that I've never even read. I don't want to be a celebrity. I don't want people to talk about me. I want people to talk about what I have to say.
Personally, if someone makes a philosophical post and I say, "I wonder how TM would respond to that," it's because I'm genuinely interested on how he would respond to it and not because I view him as the paragon of vitriol the way the current community lore does.

By Zeviz:
quote:
There seem to be 3 types of opinions expressed in this thread:

1. "You suck." - This implies that the poster doesn't consider himself a part of these forums and has low opinion about them. In that case, what are you [the poster] doing here anyway? Go hang out with somebody who doesn't "suck".

2. "We suck." - This implies that the poster thinks there is a problem and he is part of it. In that case, stop wasting your time here and become part of the solution. Go and make those great, fun, engaging, and informative threads you've been longing for.

3. "We are fine." - The poster thinks there is no problem. In this case, why are you wasting your time reading this thread?

Conclusion: Everybody posting here is wasting time that could be more productively spent elsewhere.
So, say, discussing living conditions in the inner city is wasted effort because your time is better spent raising funds instead? Alec is 'raising awareness' about the problem, and people are agreeing or disagreeing with him, trying to convince others. Deciding whether a problem exists is always annoying and drawn out, but it's necessary.

I fall under point 2. I'd like to start up some RPs or something, but second year is... considerably more difficult than first year.

--------------------
My doctor gave me two weeks to live. I hope they're in August.
- Ronnie Shakes
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #44
quote:

You would help your case if you only talked about why you are here. Speculating on the motivations of others is what leads to trouble.

Or hilarity.

Consider yourself corrected.

Only one sentence (the last one specifically) was speculation. The rest is my view of the issue at hand. I don't see why talking about why I'm here will do much, either. I came, I saw, I joined. End of story.

So excuse me if I pass on feeling corrected.

EDIT: Added quote for clarification.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:42: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #45

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #46
quote:
Originally written by moonear:

quote:
his is how I talk, Kel. You and I both know that. Drop the Scarlett O'Hara routine, wouldja? You've already scored all the points you're going to on me by getting the vapors.
Doesn't validate it any more than if I routinely cursed and then included such talk in my posting here.

If the shoe fits...

I wouldn't mind that. I'm really kind of tired of the H.R. Puffenstuff crap. Nobody ever died from invective. :P
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #47
By Alec:
quote:
I wouldn't mind that. I'm really kind of tired of the H.R. Puffenstuff crap. Nobody ever died from invective.
On the other hand, some people have been banned. :P

--------------------
I spend money with reckless abandon. Last month I blew five thousand dollars at a reincarnation seminar. I got to thinking, "What the hell, you only live once."
- Ronnie Shakes
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #48
quote:
On the other hand, some people have been banned.
Apparently, images are much worse than words.

Thus, use acronyms (FYT), variations (arse) and suggestive phraseology (study TM's post for limits on this) and you should be fine.

Memo to self: design graemlins that stand for naughty words

--------------------

Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #49
What, people got banned ?
Didn't they have enough "You are canned for life thing" ?

I think it's a shame that people cross over the line and never come back.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .

Pages