Why You Suck

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why You Suck
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #125
This ongoing dialog is actually a perfect example of exactly what I have been making my point about. This clunky interaction is fraught with increasing miscues and mispercpetions of tone, of intent, of meaning, etc. Online communication blows. It takes so much work just to be perceived with some semblance of actuality, which in person takes a fraction of the effort, because there is so much more indication. What is clearly not being seen at present is that I am lacing everything I am writing with a degree of jocularity and silliness by my choice of words. And what I am seeing in response is literalistic, humorless interpretation. You guys don’t know me. It’s that simple. For all my many posts here, you really don’t have a clue how I’m communicating...still. Yeah, I have sensitivities, and I will arrest a line of dialog to hammer out a perceived insult from someone I have recently agreed with to cease insults. I was taken aback by what probably was my own misperception of how Kel meant something, precisely because I thought we had come to an agreement. It still feels insulting to me, because I don’t see any actual circularity to my point at all (more on this later,) and Kel never bothered to qualify the statement with even one example. It’s as if by merely pronouncing all my thinking as such, it is so. I find that very dismissive and disdainful.

So, Thuryl, you have offered me a wholly humorless and rather surly (rhymes with Thurly) reply to something that was attempting to poke some fun at the absurdity of the situation while making a point. Allow me to literally explain each line, since apparently it was entirely lost.

quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

Acting offended at obvious hyperbole doesn't do anything to make you seem less shrill.
It wasn’t obvious hyperbole to me at all. As I will elucidate, there is only one thing I could construe as circular in the point I was making in this thread. Unless you operate by the conceit that because something appears a certain way to you, it should to anyone else.

I wrote:

quote:
And Thuryl, apparently you haven't been paying attention. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
This was entirely jocular. I know you are very involved here and are paying attention. So, you can see the obvious hyperbole of Kel’s statement, but completely fail to hear the tongue-in cheek tone here, eh?

And then I wrote:

quote:
Speaking of which, I can't say I've perceived much of anything I'd call gracious from your camp toward mine for some time now, subtle and subdued though your style may be. Anything you want to declare to me openly?
Your camp to my camp...you know like, “Have your peple contact my people...” It’s a flip way for me to lighten up a question that is of some gravity, my perception that you really don’t appear to like or respect me, which is fine. But I’d rather just hear you say it instead of making uniformly subtle, passive-aggressive derogatory statements only in reply to anything I write, as you have been toward me for some time. I’m not asking you to like or even respect me. Just put it on the table dude.

I’ll put this on the table. At this point, I see you as cheerless, virtually humorless, and ungracious, and somebody I would most definitely never want to meet in person. Way bad energy.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #126
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

Group? Order? Family? Genus? I don't know the terms of Biological taxonomy in Dutch - or, indeed, Futch.

quote:
I', Futch

Stupid, stupid typo. People will think that I'm a piece of fudge...

Dikiyoba: I actually don't see what Salmon's edit has got to do with me. I only understand it as "damn, Synergy got me to it, he posted earlier than me," and not "Synergy supplied the translation before Thralni did it."

Bende: Gang is the literal translation, but here are some synonyms: body, crowd, mass or heap. None of these seemed really fit, but than again, it is difficult to translate something you don't really understand...

EDIT:

Thuryl: Okay, you are right. However, people seem not to be content with the amount of such topics if I read this thread, so why don't they make more?

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 12:14: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #127
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

[b]It's not what you say, it's how you say it. I make mistakes all the time, and quite frequently fess up readily when respectfully confronted with the possibility.
You have yet to do so on Spiderweb. And don't try to cop out by saying that you have not been treated respectfully here, because, while that may be true with regard to some members' treatment of you, it is not true with regard to my treatment of you.
[/b]
To be perfectly fair, I've pointed out to Synergy several times that his motivations for posting here didn't match up with the results of posting here (that old insanity definition) and he readily admitted his mistake.

In any event, when I read Synergy and Kelandon "debating," I get this mental image of two animals backed into corners, frantically spitting and clawing because their lives depend on it.

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #128
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

I actually don't see what Salmon's edit has got to do with me. I only understand it as "damn, Synergy got me to it, he posted earlier than me," and not "Synergy supplied the translation before Thralni did it."

Bende: Gang is the literal translation, but here are some synonyms: body, crowd, mass or heap. None of these seemed really fit, but than again, it is difficult to translate something you don't really understand...

I was asking you for the translation, not Synergy, since he is absolutely idiotic when it comes to the Dutch language. Moronic. Him, not you.

The translation was for the titles of some drawings done of members of the lepidoptera family (moths and butterflies) and I was curious what they said. Obviously distribution within taxonomic families changes over time, so the actual order/genus/family stuff liekly doesn't apply any more.

Thank you for the translations.

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #129
Since Synergy did in fact ignore my post, I'm not going to bother addressing him, anymore, but I do think it's worth pointing out a few things in order that readers not be confused.
quote:

You guys don’t know me. It’s that simple. For all my many posts here, you really don’t have a clue how I’m communicating...still.
quote:
I’ll put this on the table. At this point, I see you as cheerless, virtually humorless, and ungracious, and somebody I would most definitely never want to meet in person. Way bad energy.
"You can't know someone online, so you don't know me at all, but let me tell you what I know about you from talking to you online."

quote:
Kel never bothered to qualify the statement with even one example. It’s as if by merely pronouncing all my thinking as such, it is so.
The astute reader will notice that this is completely removed from reality.

quote:
As I will elucidate, there is only one thing I could construe as circular in the point I was making in this thread. Unless you operate by the conceit that because something appears a certain way to you, it should to anyone else.
This is not an instance of circularity.

quote:
quote:
And Thuryl, apparently you haven't been paying attention. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
This was entirely jocular.
I'm positively dying of laughter, now that I see that it is a joke. The punchline is so subtle! Such poise! Such mastery!

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #130
For chrissake, Kel, be patient man. I only had time to address what Thuryl said this morning. I've had a busy day.

Rest of post to follow here.

Meanwhile...unfreakinbelievable.

I'll address this now:

quote:
"You can't know someone online, so you don't know me at all, but let me tell you what I know about you from talking to you online."
You are so predictable. I just knew you would be making some such statement. So. L e t ' s m a k e t h i s v e r y s i m p l e.

We are qualified to comment on our own experience. Note that I told Thuryl how I see him, perceive him, how I experience him as he chooses to be in this context. It might be a persona, it might the real Lucien, it might be a tiny fragment of the person he is. Entirely correct, by virtue of my own argument, I can't know him hardly at all. I certainly don't have what I would call relationship with him, practically speaking.

BUT...I still have an experience and a perception of him. And my experience of Thuryl is what I described. It is a 100% true statement that that is how I see Thuryl. I make no claim to how Thuryl actually is or what is anyone else's experience of him. I do not state that that is "how Thuryl IS" or even that I am not mistaken in my perception of him. I am always ready and willing and even eager to hope for the best for people and permit them the possibility to surprise and impress me to no end. I have tremenous faith in our ability to endlessly change and grow.

Watch my semantics, Mr. Careful Logician, and think about what they imply, and what they do not.

I'm noting your increased use of superlatives and am unimpressed: "You NEVER have admitted to any mistakes on SW." "ALL your thinking is circular here."

Not impressed. Could either of these statements be, um, MISTAKEN?

Unfreakinbelievable.

-S-

P.S. Salmon is entirely correct. I am a complete and total moron when it comes to translating Dutch.

Part Two:

I said:

“And Thuryl, apparently you haven't been paying attention. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.”

“This was entirely jocular.”

The reason this is primarily humorous coming from me is because I’ve only said the very same thing about two or three times here in as many days, including in my first post in this very thread. I’m poking fun at my own mantra. I suppose such moments are largely lost on you and, perhaps everyone, because you can’t really know me in this context and perhaps don’t afford me the potential complexity of being passionate, intense, sensitive, as well as silly and self-deprecating (sometimes all at once.) We are way more complex and multifaceted than any amount of typed words in online la la cyberland will ever begin to convey. I afford you that same likelihood. I do not feel it has been much afforded me, especially by you. With you it all looks black and white, on or off, all or nothing. Dude, increase the palette beyond two colors. The logic of life and being, in actuality, probably looks something very different from stifling Aristotelean logic (yawn.)

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 17:29: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #131
quote:

I'm noting your increased use of superlatives and am unimpressed: "You NEVER have admitted to any mistakes on SW." "ALL your thinking is circular here."
Those are not superlatives.

This is what it looks like when someone nitpicks an irrelevant part of a person's post.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #132
It's the closest word I know to describe terminologies of all and nothing statements which outrank any statements permitting something less than either. You know a more concise term for all or nothing declarations?

-S-

Kel continues to prove my point. It's not what I am saying he cares much about, by all appearance...it's how I'm saying it. In my case, I care about the hows of humanitarian concerns. Kel seems obsessed with....uh, the hows of grammar and logic. Which is more important in dealing with fellow human beings, I wonder?

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 18:07: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #133
"Concise" not so much the issue as "accurate." The term needed here is "absolute statement."

Synergy is very good at missing the point, so I imagine that he is being genuine in that last post and not actually phenomenally sarcastic, which was my first (rather impressed) reaction.

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 18:15: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #134
One of my own points is that in the online world we are all so great at missing the point all too often. It's the nature of the medium and the so-called "relationship" that hobbles along herein. I'll cut you that slack if you cut it for me.

So, sure, watch me snicker at myself and nonchalantly admit that you got me. I'm tired. I made a mistake. I meant "precise," not "concise." Thank you for so thoughtfully pointing that out, because I'm sure all my meaning was lost had it not been done. But while we are at it, that could be a fun exercise too. Can you come up with a shorter term than “superlative?”

The point of my last post was both serious and sarcastic. Because I think it is a valid observation of your primary concern and tripping point in dialog with myself (as Alo pointed out,) if not others, and I say, who the hell cares so much? Can you hear the heart of what I am saying? If you are confused by my sometimes imprecision or carelessness, do you ask for clarification to actually understand, are you actually curious holding judgement and disdain in at least temporary reserve, or do you take delight in finding the fault and assuming the worst at first chance?

But here, I’ll take it even a step further and propose the following. I write in broad, dramatic, and sometimes caustic strokes, not because I intend to make a person (or the persons who enjoy SW) feel bad, but because I feel passionately about the things that substitute for or steal our life and truth from us. When I write from that unapologetic passion, I probably often step on some toes, and people get irritated at me and/or feel a need to defend their ego and integrity, even though that’s not what I’m meaning to attack. I do think it’s absurd, laughable, and a bit pathetic how wrapped up in online worlds we are all prey to become... m y s e l f i n c l u d e d. I am not immune to much of what I disparage or dissect. I make my cutting statements with the awareness that I am often commenting just as much upon myself or my own propensities.

So...I think you got a bit pissed off that I was showing a certain disdain for the sacred SW world and online relationships in some fashion and that fueled your interest in both proving me wrong or illogical somehow, as well as getting some dig in at me to take me down a notch. After all, I was attacking indirectly your experience of having some powerful experiences because of your own online relationships.

But, back to the many things you asked me to address specifically. Anyone getting annoyed at the process over content focus of this portion of the thread, please keep in mind that the subject overall is the meta-qualities of the SW experience. What better place than this thread to talk about what we are talking about and how we are talking about what we are talking about, instead of just talking about it?

quote:
You saw read that I called your reasoning circular, freaked out
So, let’s start here, Kel. Freaked out? Oh, please. Consider being a little less condescending, and you might get further faster. So, I could ask, is this misperception? Is it intentional hyperbole? Is it your insistence on seeing and casting me in as deprecating a light as possible? One wonders.

I’ve been very relaxed the last two days. If you want to be gracious, you can simply admit that I took offense at something you wrote. If I took your intention in the offending statement wrongly, I’m happy to find out how that was. I still haven’t seen you write anything that suggests it isn’t dismissively insulting without qualification. I reacted to that absolute dismissal of all I’ve said, essentially. And I also took the opportunity to embellish my point of view, which wasn’t necessarily about you much at all. They were additional thoughts on the matter. Yes, it’s all so complex: the multi-layered motivations and thinking and feeling behind what elicits words committed to type.

quote:
stopped reading
False accusation. Presumption. You, sir, are simply mistaken. Ye of little faith in your fellow man.

I read everything you wrote. And I have thought about it as well. Had there not have been the primary issue of a disdainful opening statement standing in the way, I would have quite peaceably addressed your simple and worthwhile point. I still will in fact, if we return to any kind of civil understanding. From where I sit, you broke the ceasefire by completing dismissing the validity or value of all my thoughts by the way you chose to comment on the nature of ALL of them in one FACTUALLY stated, unqualified statement.

That you are having such a hard time seeing how this is a godawful way to entice anyone to want to address a further word you have to say, is um, well, many things. You made a factual statement that my thinking is entirely invalid. You didn’t say you perceive what I am saying as such, you suspect it is such. You didn’t express any curiosity to clarify to conclude for certainty it must be such. You invalidated everything I said with a dismissive introductory wave of your hand. “All your thinking is faulty....Oh, and by the way, here’s one point I’d love to have you answer on.” Why would I want to discuss anything with a man who thinks all my thinking is circular. Perhaps even more bafflingly...WHY WOULD YOU? Why do you want to talk about anything with a man whose logic is so completely worthless, Kel. Tell me that, because that just sounds malignant to me. I’m clearly beyond hope or redemption of being won to any logical way of reasoning as you of course do.

Avoiding anything you wrote has never been my intention here. It’s simply first things first with me. I am not often inclined to have discussion or debate with people I perceive as disrespecting my integrity or taking cheap shots at me from the outset. Why would I want to? You didn’t open with, “I think your reasoning is largely circular here, and here’s why....(explain explain). Did I miss something? Would you care to elaborate more? Perhaps I, in my only nearly-infinite wisdom and logic, have missed something.” This would have been a gracious way to communicate that you think my reasoning sucks. I have no problem if you think my reasoning sucks. It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it. How you did say it in your opening might as well translate into, “Synergy, you’re an idiot.”

quote:
and started posting things that had nothing to do with what I actually said.
They were among other things already alluded to, designed to address what I guessed you might have been thinking in making your assertion about circularity. I will not bother to elaborate upon the connections at present, but I assure you they exist.

quote:
My intentions were not to slander you, as you seem to be suggesting. That's a ridiculous idea. If I wanted to slander you, I'd slander you. I'd suggest that your reading skills are minimal, that your critical thinking is sub-par, that your credulity in the face of pseudo-science is embarrassingly great, or that you molest young children. I didn't, and I'm not doing so now, either.
Classy way to get in the cheap shots free of charge. Nice touch. “I’m not going to insult you, but if I wanted to, here’s exactly what I’d say.” I’m pretty sure the first three are exactly what you really think of me, tellingly enough, and the fourth is just one of Alec’s usual insults tacked on to distract from the genuine energy of the first three.

quote:

I don't acknowledge any mistakes here.
quote:
It must be comforting to think that you're perfect. In the real world, though, you're fallible like everyone else, and it'd be nice if you started owning up to it publicly sometimes.
Yet another all or nothing extrapolation. I say, “I don’t feel I made any mistakes in my post here” and you say,”You think you’re perfect and never make mistakes.” Anyone else see the leap and the disconnect in this? And some people, at least, have seen me admit my mistakes some number of times here.

quote:
quote:
Short of that, it's a hyperbolic statement which I would have a hard time as seeing as being intended to do anything other than belittle my integrity.
No, here you're being silly. Belittling your integrity sounds like this: "You're an idiot." "I can't believe that people come to you for treatment, you quack."
One can communicate exactly such sentiments much more subtly and with greater eloquence. Which I perceive as very much exactly your style. Kind of like you just did, get in another suggestive jab about how you or one might be inclined to regard me. Because I am not an idiot, I readily note these actually not so subtle ways of getting your digs in again and again, Mr. “I don’t want us to be insulting each other any more.”

Show me, don’t tell me. Passive-aggressive digs are no less insult than the crude, brazen insult of the less creative and the less reserved. Don’t insult my intelligence by suggesting otherwise.

quote:
Hyperbole? Maybe.
Uhhhhh...was it or wasn’t it? Why don’t you just get on with it and fess up to your actual intentions in all their complexity or even in their possible contradiction. If you can’t be honest about your actual feelings and intentions poured into your words, you’re going to get nowhere with me. I don’t have the interest or the tolerance to skirt around everything that’s actually really happening in interaction. That’s the polite facade bullcrap that completely wastes my time. I’m putting my cards on the table, because I’m not afraid of them or their messiness. Can you do the same? You might be surprised how much I honor a man who courageously just puts it all out there: the good, the bad, the ugly, the strong, the weak, the conflicted, the murky, the whatever.

quote:
I have treated you with respect, except in one or two posts, and for those posts, I specifically sought you out and apologized on AIM (while you were being particularly ungracious, I might add).
Oh for God’s sake, Kel, own your own crap, man. I have been very gracious to you in IM and you have been to me as well. That you now wish to paint me as the hostile agent, and you as the patient, forgiving soul smacks of vanity, conceit, or disingenuineness. Can you own your own pride and malice and fallibility all intertwined too? Would it freakin’ kill you? Because it’s there in all of us. Who are you fooling?

quote:
I'd like you to do me the favor of responding to the major points in this post instead of ignoring most of it and focusing on a single sentence or two, as you have frequently done in the past.
Done, and it’s made for more than I want to be writing on this, ironically. You’ve thrown a lot at me to demand I answer it all, including the subsequent posts. I think I’m caught up to everything but the original point about relationships now.

And so now, lastly, the original question:

quote:
there's no inherent reason why relationships that you have online can't have profound effects on your life that are equally as powerful as those in the "real world." I know at least one or two largely online relationships of mine that were deeply significant in parts of my life.
They might have a powerful effect on you, but you still don’t really know that person, and perhaps the effect is based on your fantasy/imagination/hope/wish/delusion of who that person actually is. You caused the effect through your perception and belief and trust in who that person is as much as by who that person actually is in “relationship.” I’m not saying the experience is without value. I’m saying you can’t claim you’ve had any kind of truly knowing relationship with that person. You may have been prey to a powerful self-delusion, or to a falsely-presented persona. And you’ll never even know unless you finally know the person in reality...as a present human being. Pen pals and online dalliance has facets of human relationship. It’s lacking some of the most critical and necessary ones. Relationship really begins when you can look a person in the eye.

Freakin’ weird, brave new world we’ve got here. Let’s not sell ourselves on the lie that the computer can ever substitute something as rich as actual human contact and relationship in our lives.

-S-

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 19:15: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #135
I'm impressed. You actually conveyed, in the course of a post, the sense that you read and genuinely responded to a post of mine. This is the first time you have ever done so. I am satisfied with this discussion and finished. Perhaps next time we can actually have a dialogue. I might like that.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #136
Well, I'm glad you got what you wanted. I can't say I did. Consider it a labor of love then.

Affectionately Yours,

-Synergy-

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #137
Yesss.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #138
quote:

It takes so much work just to be perceived with some semblance of actuality, which in person takes a fraction of the effort, because there is so much more indication. What is clearly not being seen at present is that I am lacing everything I am writing with a degree of jocularity and silliness by my choice of words. And what I am seeing in response is literalistic, humorless interpretation.
And when you are misinterpreted and cause offence, the right thing to do is swallow your pride and apologise unreservedly. I don't exactly have the smallest ego here, and yet I've managed to do that in the past.

In your case, of course, I feel no need to apologise for anything I have said, as any offence I may have caused you was entirely intentional and I feel no regret for it.

quote:
quote:

Acting offended at obvious hyperbole doesn't do anything to make you seem less shrill.
It wasn’t obvious hyperbole to me at all.
You even described it as "hyperbolic" yourself. Complaining about the lack of non-verbal communication online is one thing, but if we can't even trust you to mean what you say with the actual words you use, we have no basis for communication whatsoever. Accordingly, here's a little non-verbal communication for you: :rolleyes:

quote:
It’s a flip way for me to lighten up a question that is of some gravity, my perception that you really don’t appear to like or respect me, which is fine. But I’d rather just hear you say it instead of making uniformly subtle, passive-aggressive derogatory statements only in reply to anything I write, as you have been toward me for some time. I’m not asking you to like or even respect me. Just put it on the table dude.
I see no reason to follow your instructions other than respect for you, which, as we both agree, I don't have.

quote:
The feeling is not mutual. I find you very amusing indeed.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #139
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Synergy doesn't have the many years of physics coursework that several members including myself have, while most of us don't have extensive medical backgrounds.
If you're implying that Synergy has an extensive medical background, that's the best joke I've heard all day.

This is what happens when I leave early. What I meant was the last major debate started using physics terminology that was questioned and defined by the physicists. Then the debate veered in medicine and became a battle of references.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #140
Oh yeah, and then there’s Thuryl. Kel is a pleasure to engage by comparison. That’s not meant to be sarcastic at all, as far as Kel is concerned.

quote:
Originally written by Surly Thurly:

when you are misinterpreted and cause offence, the right thing to do is swallow your pride and apologise unreservedly. I don't exactly have the smallest ego here, and yet I've managed to do that in the past.
As I believe you will find, I have done likewise on more than one occasion here as well. The issue, however, has been how I felt I have been caused offense by something Kel wrote, not vice-versa.

quote:
In your case, of course, I feel no need to apologise for anything I have said, as any offence I may have caused you was entirely intentional and I feel no regret for it.
Exactly what I want to hear from an obliging sociopath, since I can’t look him in the eye to see the malignant intent for myself. You just did put it on the table, though, so I got exactly what I wanted from you. My intuitions have not served me in vain.

quote:
quote:
It wasn’t obvious hyperbole to me at all.
You even described it as "hyperbolic" yourself. Complaining about the lack of non-verbal communication online is one thing, but if we can't even trust you to mean what you say with the actual words you use, we have no basis for communication whatsoever.
You and I have no basis for communication whatsoever either way—isn’t that a relief? But what I meant is that it wasn’t obvious to me whether or not Kel intended it to be seen as hyperbolic or not. Not well-fleshed out in expression, admittedly.

quote:
Do you mean amused, like in the way that a juvenile deliquent headed for serial killer status is amused at how the dog squirms as he keeps sticking the knife in again and again?

-S-

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #141
quote:

Oh yeah, and then there’s Thuryl. Kel is a pleasure to engage by comparison. That’s not meant to be sarcastic at all, as far as Kel is concerned.
Coming from you, I take that as a compliment.

quote:
Exactly what I want to hear from an obliging sociopath, since I can’t look him in the eye to see the malignant intent for myself. You just did put it on the table, though, so I got exactly what I wanted from you. My intuitions have not served me in vain.
Oddly enough, you're the only one here who doesn't seem able to get along with me. You might want to consider where the problem really lies, because either it's you or it's all of the other 8000-odd members here.

quote:
quote:
Do you mean amused, like in the way that a juvenile deliquent headed for serial killer status is amused at how the dog squirms as he keeps sticking the knife in again and again?
Honestly, it's more like I'm taking pot shots at a dog with a BB gun and the dog just sits there and whines instead of running away. The fact that you're still actually bothering to reply to me is hilarious. I didn't come into this conversation with the intent of ripping you to shreds, but when you make it so easy, how do you expect me to resist?

The smart thing for you to do would be to stop replying, like you probably should have done quite some time ago. If you finally wise up and walk away, that's fine by me; I've gloated enough for now, I think.

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 20:48: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #142
quote:
Oddly enough, you're the only one here who doesn't seem able to get along with me.
What occurred is you started being subtly and consistently nasty toward me. Why would you expect me to get along with you after observing so much of that for a while?

quote:
You might want to consider where the problem really lies, because either it's you or it's all of the other 8000-odd members here.
Either-Or Fallacy. If your implied suggestion is corrrect, then I should be having a problem with 8000 members of SW. The chemistry between any two people is its own unique third entity. It is a synergy.

I am not the dog in the simile. If you believe, by my calling attention to your behavior, that I am wounded by the unimaginative slurs emanating out of your adolescent curled-lip anarchist bravado, you are mistaken.. I would have to care about you or your opinion in the first place to be offended. I just wanted to be clear on the signals I was getting. I will soon cease to engage you entirely rather than the very rarely I have all along.

-S-

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #143
quote:

adolescent curled-lip anarchist bravado
:P

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #144
quote:

What occurred is you started being subtly and consistently nasty toward me. Why would you expect me to get along with you after observing so much of that for a while?
I am not sure what I said that made you think I expected you to get along with me. I was at least hoping that you'd get the hint we're not your kind of people and shove off. On the other hand, having you around occasionally so I can continue to mock you is fun too, so whatever.

quote:
Either-Or Fallacy. If your implied suggestion is corrrect, then I should be having a problem with 8000 members of SW. The chemistry between any two people is its own unique third entity. It is a synergy.
It can't be any worse than the Synergy I'm talking to right now, I guess.

quote:
I am not the dog in the simile. If you believe, by my calling attention to your behavior, that I am wounded by the unimaginative slurs emanating out of your adolescent curled-lip anarchist bravado, you are mistaken.. I would have to care about you or your opinion in the first place to be offended. I just wanted to be clear on the signals I was getting. I will soon cease to engage you entirely rather than the very rarely I have all along.
Not only are you the dog, you're the dog who keeps eating his own vomit and then looks surprised when he throws it up again.

This topic has served its purpose: I have told you, in no uncertain terms, why you suck. Why are you still here?

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 21:50: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #145
You don't seem to understand that I am wholly indifferent to your attitude toward me. I just wanted to be clear on something. There are, I would guess, a whole lot of people here who are not your sort or type, Lucien. Your type, I believe, is found in concentration at Desperance.

-S-

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #146
Profess indifference all you like, but I evidently still have enough power over you to make you feel compelled to reply to everything I say.

Go ahead, prove me wrong. I dare you.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #147
It's interesting - and a bit disappointing, and certainly disturbing - to see several members, generally coherent and in high standing here, engage in what is to productive debate as vigorous application of self is to... okay, bad analogy.

Personally, I hope that the original topic of the thread will somehow come forth again. That's really the only reason why it remains open.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #148
Seriously, folks... take these 'discussions' to PMs. Nobody really wants to read it anymore, so you're wasting your time.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #149
quote:
Originally written by wz. As:

The back-and-forth is pretty entertaining and doesn't waste my time at all. By all means, please continue to have the discussion publicly.
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

I'm actually very interested in your discussion, so saying that your discussion probably waists people time is not entirely true.
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Seriously, folks... take these 'discussions' to PMs. Nobody really wants to read it anymore, so you're wasting your time.
"Nobody"?

Aran: The original topic of the thread is coming through loud and clear. Thuryl is telling Synergy why he sucks. :P

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 23:05: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Pages