Saddam Hussein's Execution

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Saddam Hussein's Execution
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #50
quote:
The holiday begins at sunrise.
I have no reason to doubt you. But if I were a Sunni, I'd feel the insult even more strongly.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Apparently there is some confusion, since Robinator posted the morning of the twenty-ninth on the first post of this topic. But he was executed on the 30th.

Dikiyoba.

It seems that Robin was calling the shots. So to speak.

I know what I'm doing. :)

...except that bit about dropping the rope while he was in the middle of a prayer, filming his lowest moment on a cellphone, putting the video on YouTube and the officers taunting him was more of an improvisation on their part. I'm going to have a few words to say to those disrespectful scumbags. Jeesh.

Incidentally, the Capital Steps once did a song called "The Sunni Side of Takrit" (Sunny Side of the Street). Good times, good times.

[ Tuesday, January 02, 2007 17:22: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #52
Yeah, the fact that it was recorded at all is a bit disgusting. It just feels wrong... haven't seen the video, though.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #53
Article I found on AOL News. Thought some of you might be interested.

quote:
Military Nurse Recalls Softer Saddam
AP
ST. LOUIS (Jan. 2) - A military nurse who cared for Saddam Hussein in jail said the deposed dictator saved bread crusts to feed birds and seldom complained to his captors, except when he had legitimate gripes.

Master Sgt. Robert Ellis cared for the former Iraqi dictator from January 2004 until August 2005 at Camp Cropper, the compound near Baghdad where Saddam and other "high value detainees" were held.

Ellis, 56, an operating room nurse in the St. Louis suburb of St. Charles, said he was ordered to do whatever was needed to keep Saddam alive.

"That was my job: to keep him alive and healthy, so they could kill him at a later date," he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch for a story published Sunday. Saddam was executed Saturday.

Ellis checked on Saddam twice a day and wrote a daily report on Saddam's physical and emotional condition.

Saddam told Ellis that cigars and coffee kept his blood pressure down, and it seemed to work. Saddam would insist that Ellis smoke with him.

Ellis said Saddam did not complain much, and, when he did, his complaint was usually legitimate. "He had very good coping skills," Ellis said.

Saddam shared with Ellis memories of happier times when his children were young. The former dictator described telling the youngsters bedtime stories and giving his daughter half a Tums tablet when she had a stomachache.

When he was allowed short visits outside, Saddam would feed the birds crusts of bread saved from his meals. He also watered a dusty plot of weeds.

"He said he was a farmer when he was young and he never forgot where he came from," Ellis said.

When Ellis told Saddam he had to leave for America because his brother was dying, Saddam hugged him and said he would be Ellis' brother.

"I was there to help him, and he respected that," Ellis said.

Saddam never discussed dying and expressed no regrets about his rule.

"He said everything he did was for Iraq ," Ellis said. "One day when I went to see him, he asked why we invaded. Well, he made gestures like shooting a machine gun and asked why soldiers came and shot up the place. He said the laws in Iraq were fair and the weapons inspectors didn't find anything.

"I said, 'That's politics. We soldiers don't get caught up in that sort of thing.'"

Edit: Even if this story is a load of bullcrap, it just goes to show, even though he committed horrible crimes, Saddam was still human.

[ Tuesday, January 02, 2007 19:59: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #54
Actually filming the execution and showing it on national television makes sense. Most Iraqis wouldn't believe that the execution had happened without some public display. After all since Saddam Hussein used decoy doubles to guard against assassination, even the US wasn't sure that they had the real one without DNA testing. Rumors that he was still alive would have resulted.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #55
Well bush stole the ride and the horse so i stick with that.
Any way the Saddam execution and trial was buying time for the leaving americans out of iraqk, some are still there but they should go home because for now the rift between shîad and sunizes will burst and kill a lot of people and since the crusaides islam is being pushed around by europens . If people fight an unjust war and don't see further than their noses they will suffer that condition just like military in iraqk they will suffer and die .We must open our eyes because we are destroying ourselves with our own weponds, we will or may end up like the early shapers as bunch of shades and fleeing people .

[ Wednesday, January 03, 2007 00:03: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Yeah, the fact that it was recorded at all is a bit disgusting. It just feels wrong... haven't seen the video, though.
You didn't miss much. It was a poor recording at best.

But for crying out loud. Posting it on YouTube?! It shouldn't even have been released for the public! Sometimes, I really wish they'd monitor that site and take out some of the things of somewhat "bad taste". I mean I like YouTube and everything, but sheesh!

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #57
yeah the camera crew are in a lot of trouble and don't you get it they are treating Saddam as a dead tiger and making a show out of it, mankind at it's worst.
Form the deepest of my gust and sol i say this : Saddam is a product of what is wrong in mankind why don't we try to open our mind look in his point of view.Those pepole like Stalin and hitler are part of us until we find a way to cure ill mindness we can't juge or treat pepole the way like that. We should understand our selves before understanding others.

[ Wednesday, January 03, 2007 00:25: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #58
Look, I see what you mean, but probably the only reason my brain didn't filter it out is that I've been watching a lot of the Twilight Zone lately. I'm personally of the belief that we can't 'cure' the thing you call 'ill-mindness', whatever you meant.

And if people are guilty of treating Saddam like a dead tiger, it's because he kind of is one. He was a serious threat (like a live tiger at close range would be), and he's dead now, so we have a reason to celebrate (threat removed).

As for what's wrong with mankind... I guess it's that pesky old free will. Or maybe it's the inherent variation in the species. So I see your point. The solution is radical thought control and genetic manipulation at birth!

(If the sarcasm didn't take hold, there's nothing wrong with 'mankind'. There's stuff wrong with individuals. But the quirks of humanity are nothing that a few billion years of group therapy couldn't cure. :P )

quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

...Form the deepest of my gust and sol...
Form the deepest of your
IMAGE(http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/wind_tur.jpg)
and
IMAGE(http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9901/08/killer.flares/story.killer.flares.sun.jpg)
?

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #59
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
As for what's wrong with mankind... I guess it's that pesky old free will. Or maybe it's the inherent variation in the species. So I see your point. The solution is radical thought control and genetic manipulation at birth!
Implants are cheaper. :P

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #60
Adbots I say.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #61
I really don't want to lock this thread, but if you don't get back on topic then I will.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Actually filming the execution and showing it on national television makes sense. Most Iraqis wouldn't believe that the execution had happened without some public display. After all since Saddam Hussein used decoy doubles to guard against assassination, even the US wasn't sure that they had the real one without DNA testing. Rumors that he was still alive would have resulted.
One wonders whether the potential denial of his death by his supporters could have been as damaging as the definite rage of his supporters at the manner of his execution. A spectre neither visibly alive nor evidently dead against a fully dead martyr? On that note, has anyone seen Bin Laden on TV lately?

Short-term thinking is dangerous.

[ Wednesday, January 03, 2007 14:20: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #63
I'd like to quote part of a comment I read on BBC.
quote:
An execution should be the most solemn of ceremonies. More so than church, more so than a funeral. Without respect for the condemned, no matter the crime, witnesses are participating in a lynching... another murder.
The question remains however how that mobile phone was smuggled into the execution chamber, and who ordered the shootage. What looks so spontaneous can well have been staged, so who profits. And how come the thing was on YouTube in almost next to no time.

[ Wednesday, January 03, 2007 15:09: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #64
If you could understand Arabic you might have understood this so-called lynch mob was not at all unruly, and was in-fact a very religious settling of the books the way gentlemen do but this is father's opinion not mine...As for me I don't understand Arabic nor does he. :D
And i wanted to say i to Ephe was From my guts and soul sorry,
and about total changing ourselves: NATURE FOBIDS TOTAL CONTROL of our genetic make up.
The way that we educate as a society is making us ill. I don't say that all people are good at birth, some people are born to kill, or born mad , but i say that education makes us what we are.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 01:25: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #65
Upon, I'm sorry to say this, but your incoherence makes it a challenge to understand what you're saying. I understand English isn't your first language, but if you tried to put your thoughts in complete sentences, I'm sure it would be a lot more understandable.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #66
From what I've seen of the news reports, there were two filmed versions of the execution. The official one was done and aired without sound. The YouTube one was unofficial one done on a cell phone by a Shiite faction that deliberately baited Saddam Hussein as he was been lead to the execution over his murder of one of their leaders. Some of those involved have been arrested, but this was done for political reasons to get a response as opposed to the official version that was meant to prove that the execution was carried out.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Upon, I'm sorry to say this, but your incoherence makes it a challenge to understand what you're saying. I understand English isn't your first language, but if you tried to put your thoughts in complete sentences, I'm sure it would be a lot more understandable.
Aran, isn't English your second language too?

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #68
(In reference to the article posted by Enraged Slith)

Sickening. Before, you could at least take some comfort 'knowing' that Saddam was a brutal monster. Now...

quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Upon [mars], I'm sorry to say this, but your incoherence makes it a challenge to understand what you're saying. I understand English isn't your first language, but if you tried to put your thoughts in complete sentences, I'm sure it would be a lot more understandable.
He's said that he also is dyslexic. So it's probably difficult and time consuming for him to post in the first place.

[ Saturday, January 06, 2007 19:33: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #69
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

(In reference to the article posted by Enraged Slith)

Sickening. Before, you could at least take some comfort 'knowing' that Saddam was a brutal monster. Now...

It is not necessary to be good in order to be nice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #70
No. But it still shows that there was still some compassion left. In other words, he was still human.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

No. But it still shows that there was still some compassion left. In other words, he was still human.
Yar. Up until the end Saddam maintained that everything he did had been "for Iraq." As many and varied as people are, they're all still people——even dictators. I can't believe he was really evil, and killed people "for fun" or whatever people think he was doing. Not even Hitler killed people for fun; it was all for what he believed was a good reason.

Before anyone starts yelling, I'm not remotely condoning any Fascist scumbagism. But Saddam was probably just the victim of some golden dream for the benefit of his country that started going wrong in terms of humanity. Still, you can't really question his efficiency; even though Stalin was a corrupt despot too, "he kept the trains on time." I think he was using the most effective (if totally the most wrong) method of having a country with as few internal conflicts as possible. I mean, you didn't see a whole lot of insurgents in pre-war Iraq.

[ Saturday, January 06, 2007 20:13: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #72
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:
(typos fixed)
And I wanted to say to Ephe was "From my guts and soul", sorry.
And about totally changing ourselves, NATURE FORBIDS TOTAL CONTROL of our genetic makeup.
The way that we educate is making us ill. I don't say that all pepole are good at birth, or that some people are born to kill and others aren't, but I say that education makes us what we are.

Upon, I'm not sure if you noticed, but I was attempting to use sarcasm to counteract your melodramatic post. I do apologize for the joke, though...

Education isn't the only thing, unless you just mean the process of learning. There's experience as well, not to mention the unpredictable effects of letting the ideas in one's head run around colliding with one another.

I feel like you're reacting to the wrong part of my post, upon.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 187
Profile #73
How did the US end up getting Saddam when they were after Bin Laden?

--------------------
He may look like an idiot, and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #74
We're just awesome like that.

--------------------
You lose.

Pages