Saddam Hussein's Execution

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Saddam Hussein's Execution
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #100
To A.R.A.N a message that applies to you and others, since your Mail & message-box is full and enormity of the thing :
:mad: :mad: :mad:

My first language is dyslexic english, not martian .
My inability to express my self in writing doesn't prove my non-Englishness.
MY FIRST LANGUAGES ARE ENGLISH AND FRENCH, SO DO NOT BOTHER ME WITH THAT EITHER.
I AM ENGLISH AND I SPEAK ENGLISH POLITELY AND FLUENTLY !!!
Got that my cockney rhyming slang?
(I offend you in that way because i have roots like any other man, therefore to offend my roots is a deep insult to me. Or is it? ).

QUESTION : YOU THINK THE OIL IS SAFE?
HAS THE BOMBING FRACTURED THE OIL TABLES?
HAS IT ALL DRIBBLED AWAY?

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 02:04: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #101
Did I miss something? Aran, have you been torturing members again?

Mars, I thought we have been through this before. You have made considerable improvement in your posts, and we acknowledged that. I, at least, am not asking anymore of you.

Concerning your question, I don't think the bombing cracked the rock encasing the natural oil deposits. I am pretty sure the oil is still where it has been for the last few millions of years.

However, if you mean something different by oil tables, then say so.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #102
My answer to the poll: no. I oppose the death penalty.

I wouldn't have dared to hope for an abolition of the death penalty in a country that's in a civil war (and where extrajudicial killings of anyone are common) but a fair trial for Saddam or any public figure would have been at least a small step in the right direction.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #103
Mars, the oil won't be damaged. Granted, our capability to retrieve it will suffer as the violence continues, but the oil itself is safe. Anyway, we'll run out of the easily-extracted stuff soon enough.

quote:
Originally written by Milu:

I wouldn't have dared to hope for an abolition of the death penalty in a country that's in a civil war (and where extrajudicial killings of anyone are common) but a fair trial for Saddam or any public figure would have been at least a small step in the right direction.
What do you mean by "fair", just out of curiosity? I mean, what should've happened? He was basically a dead man walking from the moment he was caught.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #104
Well, a trial in which your defense lawyers are repeatedly murdered, but yet the trial goes on, is probably not a fair trial. Being a lawyer is a difficult enough job without either your life being at risk if you're perceived as actually doing your job or having to pick up where your predecessor left off with almost no warning or preparation time, with the shadow of his assassination hanging over your head.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #105
Though he may not have gotten the fairest of trials, does anyone actually disagree with the verdict of guilty? If you were a judge in the trial, is there anyone here who would have found him innocent?

It is a little ironic that in order to consider ourselves superior we have to aspire to give justice to he who would not dare give it to anyone else.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #106
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Though he may not have gotten the fairest of trials, does anyone actually disagree with the verdict of guilty?
Not really the verdict that's under fire here. Pretty much everyone agrees he was guilty. It's the sentence that's sparked some controversy.

quote:
It is a little ironic that in order to consider ourselves superior we have to aspire to give justice to he who would not dare give it to anyone else.
I don't think of it as being superior. It's more of being morally right and fair.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #107
My disagreement is with the manner of his trial, not with the results.

quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Of course we would. Keeping the moral high ground requires actually doing moral acts.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #108
I half expected some of you to say "if I were the judge, I don't think I would have had sufficient evidence to convict Saddam." Thank you for not saying that. As for me, I must not know a whole lot about this subject, because I thought the trial was as fair as it was going to get. All I remember hearing in the news was how Saddam himself made a mockary of the trial, acting like a complete moron while it was in session. Even if it wasn't fair like your all saying, I still don't really care, as it seems somehow appropriate.

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #109
If I were the judge, I don't think I would have had sufficient evidence to convict Saddam.

Sorry, ET. I couldn't help it. You practically begged. :P

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #110
In addition that the lawyers were murdered, I also believe the human rights groups that said it wasn't a fair trial.

I wouldn't make a judgement as a judge before examining all the evidence, which I can't do since all the evidence is not public. I believe that he is guilty of having people killed but my belief is not enough basis for a verdict. Verdicts in a fair system are based on evidence and rules, not on public opinion or newspaper articles, and that's generally a good thing, in my opinion.

If making political speeches in court is a crime, I don't think anyone deserves a death sentence for that. The verdict should be based on a person's deeds, not on his annoyance.

In any case, the trial was a farce in all respects - so, in my opinion, Saddam's court behaviour made no difference.

quote:
Keeping the moral high ground requires actually doing moral acts.
Exactly.

EDIT: I quote the Independent from September 27, 2006:

"There have been repeated protests and calls for the trial to be a moved to a neutral venue. Ramsay Clarke, who appeared briefly alongside Saddam's defence team, asked for the move, as did Richard Goldstone, the first prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in the Hague. He said: "It is impossible to have a public trial if you cannot guarantee the safety of witnesses, judges or defence counsel."

Following the dismissal of Judge al-Amari, Richard Dicker, a trial observer for Human Rights Watch, complained: "The government has not only interfered with the court's independence, but greatly undermined the court's own appearance of neutrality and objectivity. The transfer of the judge sends a chilling message to all judges: tow the line or risk removal.""

[ Monday, January 15, 2007 17:03: Message edited by: Milu ]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #111
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Of course we would. Keeping the moral high ground requires actually doing moral acts.
I agree with that. I was just pointing out the irony. I guess the new question should then be who here supports the death penalty, but does not think Saddam deserved it? In case anyone forgot, I support Saddam's execution.

--------------------
====
====

Pages